Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

X-Men: First Class

Post by Winnow »

New X-Men movie in the works.

Casting stage:
'Winter's Bone' star cast in 'X-Men: First Class'

Jennifer Lawrence, the actress who's been getting rave reviews for her work in "Winter's Bone," has been cast as Mystique in Fox's "X-Men: First Class."

Fox has been furiously casting the movie, which focuses on Marvel's superpowered team X-Men in a younger incarnation than the previous trilogy.

Matthew Vaughn has been casting a slew of younger actors to play opposite James McAvoy, who is playing Professor Charles Xavier, and Michael Fassbender, who is portraying Erik Lehnsherr, aka Magneto. Nicholas Hoult, Alice Eve, and Caleb Landry Jones are among those playing mutants looking for mentor figures and teachers to guide them with their powers. Kevin Bacon is playing the villain, whose identity has not been revealed, as the studio keeps plot details under lock and key.

Mystique, who was played by Rebecca Romijn in the trilogy, is a shapeshifter who can mimic other people, though she cannot replicate superpowers. In comics lore, she was revealed to be the mother of X-Man Nightcrawler.

Mystique The movie is rolling towards a late summer start in London.

The role is a big jump in terms of exposure for Lawrence, who is generating awards buzz for "Winter's Bone," and also marks her first studio feature. The actress is about to topline thriller "The House at the End of the Street," which begins production in Ottawa in August, and will then segue to England for "X-Men."

The CAA-repped actress also appears in "The Beaver," the Jodie Foster-directed movie starring Mel Gibson.

I approve of Nighcrawler's mother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-BVMg7ciNI

The next Megan Fox! Will she be able to out act Megan though!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: X-Men: First Class

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:

I think that should be doable :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Hesten wrote:
Winnow wrote:

I think that should be doable :)
I don't think Fox was ever really noticed for her acting. This girl is hot but not "Fox" hot. imho.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

From L TO R: Michael Fassbender as Magneto, Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggert, January Jones as Emma Frost (aka the White Queen), Jason Flemyng as Azazel (aka Nightcrawler's father), Nicholas Hoult as the Beast, Lucas Till as Havoc, Zoe Kravitz as Angel Salvadore, Jennifer Lawrence as Raven Darkholme (aka Mystique), and James McAvoy as Charles Xavier.

Magneto is missing. I wanted to see him most of all.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Image

From L TO R: Michael Fassbender as Magneto, Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggert, January Jones as Emma Frost (aka the White Queen), Jason Flemyng as Azazel (aka Nightcrawler's father), Nicholas Hoult as the Beast, Lucas Till as Havoc, Zoe Kravitz as Angel Salvadore, Jennifer Lawrence as Raven Darkholme (aka Mystique), and James McAvoy as Charles Xavier.

I think you need to look at that pic again sparky. He's there.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

masteen wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Image

I think you need to look at that pic again sparky. He's there.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

he's invisible
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Fassbender was fucking awesome in Centurion and Inglorious Basterds. He'll do a kickass job.

Hopefully it doesn't fall flat, like X-Men 3 did. Well, at least I think it ducked. Mileage may vary.
en kærlighed småkager
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Then who is the dude to the left of Moira?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

masteen wrote:Then who is the dude to the left of Moira?
Some dude named Assbender.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I thought the guy playing Magneto was Baltar from BSG for a minute there.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Dregor Thule wrote:I thought the guy playing Magneto was Baltar from BSG for a minute there.
The lighting sure does make it look like him! :P
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://io9.com/#!5757413/smouldering-fi ... ile-crisis

First trailer for X-Men First Class

I don't get the Charles Xavier choice. It also looks like they have Pixie as one of the mutants. She wasn't around back in the beginning!

They should have had the original X-Men going up against the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (with Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I was surprised at how good the trailer looked. I trust the director, Matthew Vaughn. He gave us the movie Layer Cake, which is an underrated classic.

I like how these huge comic book movie franchises have matured through the years. It very much follows the trends of comics themselves. They start out garish and colorful with tons of action, but end up maturing and becoming darker when given to artists/directors like Nolan, Vaughn, and Aronofsky (upcoming Wolverine). Hell, look at how much X-Men First Class is fucking the franchise's continuity. You can't get much more like the actual comics than that!
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 15 reviews. Loved everything I've seen so far.

Clips!
http://gammasquad.uproxx.com/2011/05/7- ... irst-class
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It will be interesting to see this take on the X-Men. So far, I kind of feel the opposite about the clips. With the little I've seen, I don't like the actor choices, especially Emma Frost. She needs to speak more like the snobby rich and project more of a condescending attitude. She was always this way, even as a teenager if you read the Emma comic that ran about 17 issues or so. Prof X and Magneto seem like weak choices as well.

I'll give it a shot. The Star Trek movie reboot was awesome IMO so you never know but I'm not feeling a lot of personality in those clips. It feels cold and distant. It also feels like random actors thrown together for various parts. I'm concerned about chemistry. You need the Logan types with strong personalities and humor to give the movie life. Special effects and drama, that we may not buy into, isn't going to create a lasting impression.

This may turn out to be a movie that sits well with someone not familiar with the X-Men universe while leaving those with a ton or X-men lore floating around in their heads wanting for more.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here was the first time I became excited for the movie. Before this, I was kind of "meh". It is from Dark Horizons from Monday. It's the first word of mouth I had heard about the movie at all, and since this was posted others are saying the same thing.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/20648/ ... -are-raves
Though full reviews won't be coming out until later this week (mine will hopefully be up before the weekend), early word on "X-Men: First Class" is that it may not only be the best in the franchise, but the best Marvel movie to date.

Drew McWeeny of Hitfix has been very outspoken of Fox's handling of the franchise in the past, and with good reason. Here though, he says "I am happier overall with "X-Men: First Class" than with any other film released so far in the "X-Men" franchise… This is ground zero, and I think Fox just got it right, really right, in a way I can't say it feels like they have on any of their Marvel films so far." He also professes his love for all things Michael Fassbender - sigh, I know that feeling all too well.

Hitfix's own editor, Greg Ellwood, is a man whose cinematic taste I admire a lot and is certainly no over eager fanboy when it comes to comic movies. His reaction? "Even better than Spider-Man 2, Iron Man or any Marvel movie so far in my opinion. Ambitious, smart and when it's good, it's very good. Not Nolan level though."

Bleeding Cool raved about James McAvoy's performance and says the film "contains some of the briskest and most efficient storytelling I’ve seen in any recent blockbuster," though admits some of the minor characters "get short shrift" like Riptide, Azazel, Darwin and Moira McTaggart to a lesser extent.
I'm now going to see it on Imax next Saturday, the day after release and I am excited. I'm now on media blackout for the film. Well, here is a nice TV spot I caught that also has a different tone than anything I had seen before and added to my hype meter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy4g3GTg ... r_embedded
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Kevin Baconschnitzel as Sebastian Shaw, here shown together with White Queen

Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Too bad there will never be a sequel because the director (who's already married to Claudia Schiffer) couldn't be bothered to wrap the little sausage and knocked up that frigid bitch.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

January Jones from Mad Men? Did it finally get announced that he was the daddy?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Not officially, but he didn't show up to the premier of his own fucking movie. Instead, he stayed home and tried to keep a crazed German from putting his balls in the gas chamber. That last part is not confirmed.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

This movie was really good, despite taking a giant shit on the comic books. But I don't think January Jones was the right person for Emma Frost. Kevin Bacon was great tho!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Overall: 3.5/10
Rewatchable: 1/10

Worse than expected.

mostly bad:

-horrid special effects. worst I've seen in a comic book movie in a long time. All the far away shots looked like tiny models...houses, cars, ships...so bad.

-poor casting. I agree that the Emma Frost actress sucked really bad

-a completely bizarre take on the X-Men that has zero to do with canon.

-haphazard use of powers. poor setting to show of anyone's powers except Magnetos.

-really really bad choice of mutants. Shaw's supporting cast of villains may all as well have been "crewman #7". The flying girl was a waste. Banshee flying around in that Toys R Us costume looked ridiculous.

-How does Shaw survive...or did they just ruin the entire rest of that history as well?

-why in the "hell" would Mystique ever fuck the red guy (who is supposed to be the devil himself) to create Nightcrawler? I guess we'll learn about that in the next movie.

-the movie seemed as randomly thrown together as its horrible cast of mutants

-the Cuban missile crisis setting was poorly done. Throwing in a couple of actual speeches from JFK did nothing to help.

-why, in the EXACT replay of X-Men 1, were guards unable to hold Magneto while he bent the fence and yet he can lift an entire submarine out of the water while flying along miraculously in the tires of a JET airplane? Even with an explanation of how his powers work, him standing on the tires of the SR-71 looked stupid.

-there was zero character development for the mutants that died. who cares if they died? movie scripting 101: you have a lame scene that artificially builds up someone that's about to die...otherwise it's a waste.

the good:

-beast was done well. nice origin for his blue form.

-logan's cameo was great

-young prof X was ok up until his lines, "I can't feel my legs! I can't feel my legs!"

Not looking forward to more movies with this cast and altered history. Done right, X-Men First class would have been a cool idea. Did the producer have any fucking clue about who the X-Men were before starting this project? If you're going to completely destroy the very well known history of the X-Men characters, you better do it right.

I think Stan Lee is happy this was the first Marvel movie that he doesn't make a cameo in.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I think Winnow's review is the first bad review i've seen!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I've seen several reviews about how it fell short of expectations. I planned on seeing it in the theater until I saw the first preview, which dropped it to dvd rental for me.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I liked it a lot, but I wasn't expecting it to be official canon. I think it's fair to revisit the origins of a comic book from time to time, particularly when it's been 40 years or so.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Rebooting a franchise that hasn't been presented in decades is one thing, but completely rebooting one that has been presented multiple times in the last decade is just plain silly.

I knew that it was being redone, which wasn't an issue, but I hadn't realized how bad some of the characters/powers would come across.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I saw the movie with my mom and brother. I almost totally disagree with Winnow, and so does pretty much everyone I've talked to I suppose.

That being said, I don't give a fuck about comic books, or what the story was in them/how closely it's being matched in the movies. And I really don't think the people making the movies are aiming them at the dinosaurs that were around to read all these comics when they originally came out, either.

I thought it was a good movie, I'd recommend it to anyone that liked the other X Men movies.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:I've seen several reviews about how it fell short of expectations. I planned on seeing it in the theater until I saw the first preview, which dropped it to dvd rental for me.
Really? 88% on Rottentomatoes with 192 reviews is pretty close to godly status for movies. I scanned a bunch of the "rotten" reviews, could not find much about it falling short of expectations (were you and winnow expecting straight cannon or something? are you stupid?) Anyway, i'm sure there are reviewers out there that did not like it, but given the overwhelmingly positive reviews it has received, as well as it's good opening weekend, these can be taken with a grain of salt.
Boogahz wrote:Rebooting a franchise that hasn't been presented in decades is one thing, but completely rebooting one that has been presented multiple times in the last decade is just plain silly.

I knew that it was being redone, which wasn't an issue, but I hadn't realized how bad some of the characters/powers would come across.
I think that most movie studios would disagree with you about the reboots, given financial success, critical acclaim, and the sheer amount of movies that are getting rebooted. Especially Marvel studios, they rebooted the Hulk successfully, then decided to do the same thing with X-Men (starting with Wolverine) and soon to be Spider-Man. I mean, you may think it's corrupt and it hurts the integrity of the comic book franchise, but that doesn't make it silly.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aardor wrote:
Boogahz wrote:I've seen several reviews about how it fell short of expectations. I planned on seeing it in the theater until I saw the first preview, which dropped it to dvd rental for me.
Really? 88% on Rottentomatoes with 192 reviews is pretty close to godly status for movies. I scanned a bunch of the "rotten" reviews, could not find much about it falling short of expectations (were you and winnow expecting straight cannon or something? are you stupid?) Anyway, i'm sure there are reviewers out there that did not like it, but given the overwhelmingly positive reviews it has received, as well as it's good opening weekend, these can be taken with a grain of salt.
Boogahz wrote:Rebooting a franchise that hasn't been presented in decades is one thing, but completely rebooting one that has been presented multiple times in the last decade is just plain silly.

I think that most movie studios would disagree with you about the reboots, given financial success, critical acclaim, and the sheer amount of movies that are getting rebooted. Especially Marvel studios, they rebooted the Hulk successfully, then decided to do the same thing with X-Men (starting with Wolverine) and soon to be Spider-Man. I mean, you may think it's corrupt and it hurts the integrity of the comic book franchise, but that doesn't make it silly.

You do realize that there are other places for reviews besides rottentomatoes....right?

I can see why you don't look around much, since you can't seem to read. Like I said, I KNEW it was being redone, and I had no problem with that. Seeing the product being delivered is what changed my mind.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Maybe there are somehow reviews that are worth their weight in shit that don't get aggregated into the score on rottentomatoes (I highly doubt it), but still having nearly 200 critic reviews there and the movie being at 88% is pretty damn high, and is a pretty solid sign the movie is good.

D&D nerdfags that are 45 years old, live in their parents basement, and still have a copy of the original X-Men comic sealed hardly count as humans, let alone as movie critics.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Worst reboot ever!

First of all, they reboot this thing in the 60's....that's where it started from in the first place.. if rebooting it, update it to the present. They just introduced characters into the early 60's that will be in their 70's to 80's present day...how fucking stupid can they be? Yes Mystique has some fountain of youth properties as does Wolverine who made a brief cameo but everyone else in that flick is grampa age now...so what are they going to do now that the Cuban Missile Crisis is over? ...have a crossover with Austin Powers?

It's just stupid how they went about this. I can see why rebooting the X-men could be a good thing but this doesn't sit well with me at all. There are characters that have no business being in that time period with extensive histories that were very solid origins. Throwing that away for a 60's time period piece makes no sense to me.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Plus the actual comic book timeline is so fucking convoluted (with its own mutliple reboots) that its virtually impossible to state what is and is not offically canonical. I mean, how many fucking times has Jean Grey been killed? (As one example.) Judge the movie on its own merrits, not compared to the messed up comic book story.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

On it's own, I judge it sucks.

There are some richly developed characters in the X-men universe. A movie ab out the Cuban Missile crisis with characters with scant character development and very little background to make us care....and why if rebooting, use the exact footage in the beginning of the movie from X-Men 1?

I wasn't significantly impressed with anything about the movie. What merits are you seeing from the movie Jice?
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

McAvoy, Fassbender and Bacon were excellent!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Wolverine was a reboot from the original franchise. This is yet another reboot. Emma Frost was in both movies. Seems like Fox Studio doesn't know what they are doing.

Speaking of Emma Frost...
WWTDD wrote:As a producer and co-creator of ‘Lost’, Damon Lindelof cast Dominic Monaghan and Evangeline Lilly, so he knows a thing or two about people who can’t act, which is why it’s so telling that he went on his twitter after seeing ‘X-Men: First Class’ and said this about January Jones…

“Emma Frost’s THREE mutant powers: Telepathy, Transformation to Solid Diamond and last but not least, Sucking at Acting.”
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

8/10
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

How was Fassbender as Magneto? I think the dude has excellent chops. Watch Centurion! His small role in Inglorious Basterds as the Brittish agent was fucking fantastic as well.
en kærlighed småkager
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Young Magneto and Prof. X were both great, as were Beast and Mystique. Kevin Bacon was the biggest surprise. He was outstanding. The Black King was always outshone by the White Queen in the books, but the combination of good writing and a great performance turned Sebastian Shaw into a true supervillain. Hopefully, they will replace January Jones in the next one, because she's... a blank. She couldn't even play a cold, emotionally detached bitch well.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I liked it. It was very entertaining. You could tell that the Magneto script was absorbed into this movie since he was so well fleshed out. I liked the friendship between him and Charles. I went with a group of friends and everyone highly enjoyed it. I'm glad i saw it early otherwise Winnow's leak would've spoiled what amounted to a great and unexpected cameo.

I would rank the X-Men movies as such:

X2 10/10
Xmen First Class 9/10
X1 8/10
X3 6/10
Wolverine 5/10
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

X2 10/10
X1 8/10
Wolverine 6/10
X3 6/10
Xmen First Class 3.5/10
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Good God, man, Wolverine was terrible. I try not to think about that movie, ever.
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

I think Armond White hacked Winnow's account to post that review
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

7/10. I was entertained for the most part.

Fassbender was awesome! McAvoy was good. Supporting cast was a hodgepodge of hit and miss. Of course, I have never read the comics, so would not be a good judge of what they were "supposed" to be like.

All in all, a solid add-on to the "Hollywood" version of the X-Men story. I place it slightly behind 1 and 2. I would have given the movie a 8/10, except for the utter misuse of a SR-71 Blackbird. There is a good reason it was never flying alongside a Blue Angel squadron...

Good use of Bacon was a surprise.

Oh, and I fully expect Fassbender to take over as Gandalf in, "The Hobbit III: Gone Smurfin'"

RAD
en kærlighed småkager
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I was doubting the choice of Bacon first, but Bacon was impressive as Shaw!

Great acting on his part.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lets revisit why this movie sucks.

***spoiler Alert***

It's lifeless.

One of the few "bright spots" mentioned is Magneto.

First Class: The drama is getting magneto to turn a satellite dish with this powers. He also lifts a submarine out of the water...wow...cool.

X-Men 2: Magneto uses metal ingested by a guard to rip the guard apart internally. He then creates steal balls from the metal and blows the crap out of his cell, freeing himself.

Which is better?

Mystique

First Class: "Oh I'm blue! I'm fugly!" "Oh wait, it's ok..."Mutant and Proud!" She sports orange hair that looks like it belongs on an EQII clay haired avatar.

X-Men 1: Mystique (way the fuck hotter, played by Rebecca Romijn, disguises herself as Wolverine to infiltrate a complex and then does all sorts of acrobatic shit, she is an important part of the movie with complex motivations.

Which was more interesting?

Action:

First Class: A bunch of lifeless, dumb powered Mutant kids are raided by Sabastian Shaw. Highlights include some no name broad that can fly, not the more well known mutant Pixie, Scott Summers brother Havok that has the dumb chest power that is boring on screen, im falling asleep here it was so boring I don't recall the rest of the stupid shit thrown together with the kids. The action scenes are downright dull and lack any kind of creativity.

X-Men 2: One of the most amazing opening scenes in any movie has Nightcrawler bamfing all over the White House on this way to assassinate the president. This scene is so amazing that you get your money's worth from the movie in the first 5 minutes and can go home happy right then and there.

I'm not even going to ask. X-Men 2 is on a completely other plane of badassness compared to First Class.

"First Class"

I can hear the excuses now..well this is an "origins" story so simpleton things like basic moving of an object should be interesting...um, no it's not.

Speaking of origins...they are boring in First Class. Compare them to Rogue's introduction in X-Men....for fuck's sake, she had an epic intro starting off with almost killing her boyfriend with her power...meeting up with Wolverine as a runaway, having some actual god damned character development with relationships with both Wolverine and Iceman (Bobby Drake). There sense of discovery and being new is all there. It's taken from the idea in the X-Men Comics that introduced Kitty Pryde to the X-Men, using her as a way to introduced everyone else to the world of mutants.

The character development is almost non existent in First Class which is supposed to be a fucking reboot origin movie. They are rebooting what was already interesting and making something very generic set in the 60's with the big threat being the Cuban Missile Crisis and an almost comedic finale with the bazillion missiles fired all at once at the mutants.

First Class isn't anywhere close to X-Men 1 or 2. You can judge it on it's own merits...whatever. If you like to settle for mediocre, you got what you wanted.

I prefer to consider it this way:

Magneto

Ian McKellen vs Fassbender...are you serious? Ian McKellen is pure badass as Magneto. I'll take Ian McKellen in a landslide...and that's starting off with the brightest spot of X-Men First Class.

vs

Professor X

Patrick Stewart vs Laurence Belcher

How many fucking times does he touch his head in First Class? We get it!

vs

Opening Scene from X-Men 1: Intense Magneto origin from WW 2

Opening Scene for X-Men 2: Epic Nightcrawler White House Scene

Opening Scene for X-Men First Class: Exact fucking opening footage from X-Men 1, wtf? Way to start off weak. It was great in X-Men 1...maybe for a reboot you might come up with something different instead of the EXACT same scene? Good god. They should have just patched together a movie from X-men 1 and 2 footage...would have been better than what we got.

Reboots are fine. There happens to be a ton of great existing material to work with. They could have used Joss Whedons Astonishing X-Men. They could have used Grant Morrison's oustanding New X-Men run...they could have used Chris Claremont's very first Uncanny X-Men material that dealt with Sebastian Shaw, Emma Frost, etc....but they went with something completely uninteresting.

Perhaps people need a refresh. Rewatch X-Men 1 or 2 and then attempt to place First Class anywhere near it. WTF is wrong with you people giving this movie an 8 or 9 out of 10? What fucked up scale are you working off of? First Class was a weak effort. You scramble for any scrap of decent acting in this movie to call good. Plot? Sucked. Action scenes? Sucked worse. Prof X Magneto and Beast...passable performances that float to the top of the toilet bowl of crappy acting in this movie. Kevin Bacon is "ok" playing a boring version of Shaw. That's not his fault. Take those best performances of First Class and compare them to their counterparts...Ian McKellin is better, Patrick Stewart is Better, Kelsey Grammer (Beast, and one of the notable positive os X-Men 3) better.

Villains?

Shaw vs William Stryker

Hell, William Stryker was just a normal man and he was a more interesting villain than Shaw.

[Show]

Really? This is the Grand Finale of First Class? Jesus.
X-Men First Class was crap. If you were entertained by it. Good for you. As X-Men and Comic movies go, it was a major disappointment in story, overall acting, and action.

I'll take this thanks!

I'm the Juggernaut Bitch!
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Wrong

No need to go into detail

Just....Wrong
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Let's not get all fanboy up in here.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Canelek wrote:Let's not get all fanboy up in here.
Fanboy is for the consoles forum only!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Please don't tell me we're limited to boring reviews that won't upset someone that got steamrolled in EQ.

I presented my case. My thoughts are that First Class blew chunks, provided some examples and spoilered the really dumb ending images from First Class. I added a second post because I was baffled at the high ratings people are giving this movie.