Spartacus : Blood and Sand

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spartacus : Blood and Sand

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

For those of you who liked 300 and Rome.

Starts January 22
http://www.youtube.com/user/Starz
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Re: Spartacus : Blood and Sand

Post by Dregor Thule »

The last episode was... painful to watch as a man

:shock:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

this series kicks copious amounts of ass
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I just watched the first episode. The CGI blood and gore is just over the top ridiculous. The story of the first episode seemed a little weak, and there was T&A for T&A's sake scattered through the episode. I'm not really sure what to think of the show yet, but I'll withhold judgment until after I watch another episode or two.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

In the exact same boat. I was really giving it a chance but the part of the first episode where he gets hit with the shaft of an axe in the back of his head and a gallon of blood sprays out, I kind of laughed then gave up. It sucks because I really wanted to get into it, but the more of it I saw the worse it got. =/
Fuck Michigan!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Yeah, I dunno what's going on there. It's a good show imo, but they really overdid the Blood part of the title. If they were as heavy with the Sand part a fucking pyramid would drop on every 2nd character in the story.

Mind you, what's wrong with nudity for nudity's sake....?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm watching it...really enjoy it for the most part...although its herky-jerky on storyline movement speed, imo. Pace is not part of this series. The overdramatic fight scenes are fine by me, its just a play on the 300 style of blood and guts.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

The pilot episode had a lot wrong with it, but it's been steadily improving with each episode. They cut back on the stylized, anime-like blood explosions somewhat, so it doesn't seem nearly as ridiculous as the first episodes. The story has also been improving IMO. They crammed far too much into the pilot and it was rushed, it's slowed down a bit and it's a lot easier to enjoy.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Yeah, I watched three more episodes last night after my previous post when I couldn't sleep. It does get better, and I think I'll continue watching this show, but man that first episode was hard to stomach at times. My wife and I literally laughed at how goofy it got at times. The subsequent episodes move along much better, seem to benefit from better writing, and the silly blood sprays were kept to a more tolerable level. Also, there was a lot less of the CGI scene switching that gave it too much of a comic feel. I know they're relatively little things, but the electric guitar in some scenes is distracting (not campy and amusing like Hawk the Slayer) and the director not taking time out to have the makeup people cover modern tattoos on some of the supporting cast and extras is on my nerves for some reason.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I dig this show despite the fact that it's quite the sausage-fest.
- Ash
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, but more abundant use of boob than dick...but yeah, the director watched Fight Club too many times :)
Burke
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Burke »

[Show]
Sausage fest minus one!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

ROFL, true that!
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

btw, this series is available for streaming from Netflix. New episodes are generally playable a few days after airing.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Yep, that's how I watch them!
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Same...I have the DVR record it, and I just delete it if I catch it on Netflix instead.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

So is it more Rome or 300? While I really enjoyed Rome, I thought 300 was pretty retarded. :D

So far I see in this thread, sausages and CGI blood. Not so much of an endorsement! :P
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Lucy Lawless shows off a bit of T&A, but this isn't as much of a selling point now as it might have been 10 years ago. I'm fully caught up on all of the episodes that have aired thus far, and while the show has its faults, I'm kind of digging it in spite of them. Give it a try, but be prepared for the fact that the first episode is borderline awful, and it takes a couple more episodes to overcome the poor start. I wouldn't really say it's like Rome or 300, although it has elements of both (along with Gladiator). I hope they hurry up and get to the slave revolt part. I can see myself becoming bored with life in the Ludus if it goes much beyond this season (it was already picked up for a second before the show premiered).
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I have a feeling that the ludus age will last thru the first season, with the cliffhanger being the start of the revolt.

Cane, its like a combo of 300/Rome/Gladiator all rolled up into one. All the elements are there, and you'll see them...I like to think they took the best of all three and are trying to work with that. You may not agree on what the "best" elements were, though.
[Show]
First, burke...hahahahahah...so true on the last ep...that one hurt.

Every episode points at Batiatus (don't care about spelling) moving on to political life. So I would assume at the end of the season we see him leaving the ludus to become a senator or something...or perhaps finally being assassinated after becoming one, etc, reaping what he sowed when he kill barka.

Anyways, like I've said before,the pace of the main storyline is painful slow, then super fast, you can't really get a feel for time at the ludus, as this last episode clearly pointed out imo. They just showed quick cuts of him killing over and over again in the arena...what is that, 6 months? 2 years? how long? once back in the ludus, it felt like 2 weeks. Krixis' injuries are the only "time" element in the show...and I really don't know how long those types of injuries would take to heal.
I don't have Starz, i use the netflix stream. Its available usually within about 3 hours of the premiere...its fast. I think the show is on Starz friday nights of all times. I usually stream it Saturday afternoon.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

"Gratitude"

"Apologies"
[Show]
"Castration"
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I think the story has picked up pace in the last few weeks...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I agree! This show has really turned around in my view, and it's been picking up pace as it moves towards the end of the season. I'm glad I didn't give up after the first episode because I'm actually enjoying it a fair bit.
[Show]
I look forward to that crafty Ilithyia getting taken down.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

[Show]
I think they'll work it so she ends up wanting Spartacus.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

[Show]
Oh I hope you're wrong, Dregor...that hate/hate is so great!

I'm hoping for a mad vengeance cliffhanger at the seasons end when he finds out about his wife thru asher.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Man, you should have heard my groan when I heard the gimp ex-gladiator ferret guy was named Asher.
- Ash
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Hahahahaha, Ashur
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Show is absolutely brilliant in my opinion, one of my must-sees every week, I am also very much looking forward to seeing how the story will unfold over the last few episodes and anxiously awaiting season 2.
Fortune favors the brave!
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

Kluden wrote:
[Show]
Oh I hope you're wrong, Dregor...that hate/hate is so great!

I'm hoping for a mad vengeance cliffhanger at the seasons end when he finds out about his wife thru asher.
[Show]
I don't care what they do, as long as they have her naked as much as possible!

Seriously though, they could make her start to rethink things by finding out how much of a prick her husband is. I think they are going to go somewhere with him and the new freckly slave girl, though.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

[Show]
From NetFlix description:
Lucy Lawless ("Xena: Warrior Princess") co-stars as Lucretia, the beautiful woman who becomes Spartacus's mistress when her husband (John Hannah) becomes the scrappy slave's owner.
There's been ZERO indications of anything like this so far. I've begun to assume it was a misprint on NetFlix part, but yeah, Lucretia's not been pleased w/ her husband's wickedness as of late (which is contrary to her whole behavior with that sexy mynx Ilithia). But now that Spartacus knows Batiatus is behind his wife's death his days are numbered....
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

[Show]
yeah, I saw that and thought it was a strange typo a while back. She has been a bit wishy-washy on her treatment of all things regarding Spartacus though. I could see things tipping more in that direction with a few more deaths.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I watched episodes 2-11 this last weekend nearly back to back. I just can't get enough of Lucy Lawless's tits.
I keep trying to figure out who is going to be on the Spartacus Team when the revolt begins.
[Show]
Still waiting on the hot girl on girl action from Lurcretia and Ilthwhateverhernameis.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

One can only hope.
- Ash
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

[Show]
The historical info says that Spartacus, Crixus and one other were the leaders of the slave rebellion. So, if they are going to keep at least a little to history they will need to find some common ground at some point.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I recently caught up on this series on OnDemand, and I really like it a lot. Maybe I'm easy to please, but the combination of violence, sex and intrigue is really all that I need in a show. Totally agree that the series started off slow and gets better and better.
Ashur wrote:Man, you should have heard my groan when I heard the gimp ex-gladiator ferret guy was named Asher.
Actually, you should groan more... it's "Ashur". :shock:
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Fuckers...

That said...
[Show]
I was quite pleased with how he helped set up the blonde dude for the murder of the missing politico. He's quite a snake though... maybe he'll help kick off the rebellion and be one of the "I'm Spartacus" dudes at the end and be true to his gladiator brothers.
- Ash
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

This show has gotten stronger and stronger with each episode. There is so much tension right now, I can't wait to see what happens in the finale.

Excellent show, imo. I need to go back and watch the first few again, now that I know who the characters are.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

The last episode was so much greatness. Its amazing how paced the show has become..did their budgeting get cut? Were they told they only have 2 seasons for sure? I don't know these things, but the pick up in pace is well liked by me at least.
[Show]
They showed pretty much all the main characters' reasons for wanting to be part of the rebellion in this episode. Krixus, the black dude with the whip, the two brothers...and lucy lawless even.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I watched all these eps on Netflix, and while I laughed my way through the first two or three, by the sixth episode I was started to get intrigued. The last three have been phenomenal, and I'm looking forward to the finale.
[Show]
Still pissed about Varro, though. I had hopes he was in on the rebellion.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

What a fantastic ending for the first season. I look forward to seeing what they do in S2.

I wanted to stand up and shout FUCK YEAH at the climax of the episode, but my wife and baby were asleep so I refrained. I might watch it again tomorrow just so I can do that.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

That was fucking badass. Great pacing, good build-up...and a stunning finish. Can't wait for next season!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Based on comments here I'm guessing this series greatly improves over time because the first episode was horrible. Laughable dialogue and special effects. Cheap knockoff dialogue from Gladiator and other movies.

Hold the line? Are you fucking serious? I can't believe they used that line in the first show.

I wouldn't give this series another thought except for the posts here. I'm surprised that anyone would be inspired to watch the second episode. This series had a worse beginning than Dollhouse.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Indeed, Winnow. I can't tell you how much of a change comes over the show. By about the fifth episode (after the Pit), things start to improve, both writing and pacing wise. They decided to tone down (some, not all) of the cheesy blood effects and instead started moving the plot forward. Don't get me wrong, the show isn't and probably won't ever be a Rome. But with that said, the second half of the season was extremely good.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I finally had a chance to watch the season finale tonight. It's amazing how much of a turnaround this series underwent between episode 1 and 13. It's as if it isn't even the same show. I'm really looking forward to season 2 now. Give the show a second chance, Winnow.

I, too, wanted to shout "fuck yeah" a couple of times during this episode.
[Show]
I hated to see one of the brothers get killed, and really hated to see Ashur survive.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

[Show]
I was glad Ashur lived, he's an excellent villain. I was sad Batiatus died, the show isn't going to be quite the same without him yelling 'Jupiter's cock!'. My favorite scene was probably when the gladiators were bursting into the villa and the nobles were tripping over themselves into the pool. Also, really glad Illythia lived. Fuck me, I have no idea how to spell any of these names!

Excellent ending, hopefully they don't ruin the momentum and storytelling with the second season.
This show is definitely worth watching, just suffer through the first few episodes.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Was that the season finale? It was great...just perfect.
[Show]
People died, people lived...folks you thought would live out the show, clearly are not going to...and folks you hoped would find their script time over, well, are getting more script.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Dregor Thule wrote:
[Show]
Also, really glad Illythia lived.
[Show]
Me too. That means she'll be naked some more in S2.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

The lead actor of Spartacus was just diagnosed with lymphoma, so season 2 is on hold for awhile.
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox ... works.html
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Agreed with everyone else here. A friend and I watched Ep. 1 & 2 together, and thought it was pretty bad. After another friend got me to watch the rest I am hooked and clamoring for more, and my previous friend feels the same way now that he watched the rest. REALLY can not wait for Season 2, and hope he pulls through this crisis okay.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Cancer sucks, that's for sure. Is non hodgkin's lymphoma very serious or just plain serious?
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Kluden wrote:Cancer sucks, that's for sure. Is non hodgkin's lymphoma very serious or just plain serious?
Depends on how aggressive it is. I hope he gets better soon. It would be a shame for another great show to lose its lead actor. (The other one I am thinking of is Father Ted)