Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Dexter Season 4

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

So the pre-air for episode 1 is on the internet. Do not watch it unless you feel like waiting over a month for a cliffhanger that made me punch the wall adjacent to my computer. That being said... holy crap. What a start to season 4.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Dexter Season 4

Post by Hesten »

Just a month? Not so bad then, i got the Caprica pre-air, thats coming like next year .(
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I couldn't resist watching the pre-aired episode. It was really good, but I agree with Gonzoie that the wait won't be easy.
[Show]
Jonathan Lithgow ftw. This character could even rival the Ice-Truck Killer. The bathtub scene was incredibly disturbing, but also very powerful and full of emotion. The mirror alone was...wow.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

[Show]
Jonathan Lithgow ftw. This character could even rival the Ice-Truck Killer. The bathtub scene was incredibly disturbing, but also very powerful and full of emotion. The mirror alone was...wow.
[Show]
I was very excited to see Lithgow in this, and am hoping for a very Spy vs Spy like season, similar to season 1. I think a Lithgow Vs Dexter with Lundy thrown in the mix will be a great season.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I can't wait to get into season 4, I finally have had time to catch up (missed season 3), and only have the finale of season 3 to watch before I can get into this.

I forgot how awesome this show is. Is season 4 meeting expectations?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sylvus wrote: Is season 4 meeting expectations?
Pretty much, so far. I still dislike the sister character though.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Aslanna wrote:
Sylvus wrote: Is season 4 meeting expectations?
Pretty much, so far. I still dislike the sister character though.
I like Deb. She brings he sailor attitude to the show. I believe she is also married to Michael C. Hall now.
[Show]
I still can't believe they killed off Lundy. I thought he would be a major role this season. That caught me by complete surprise. However, now its gonna get interesting since Dexter knows where Trinity lives. I was very surprised to see that Trinity had a family too. Kind of gives Dexter hope that he can be successful with a family while still giving in to his "dark passenger"
Sylvus, this season has been incredible so far in my opinion. Second best behind season 1 with potential for passing it.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Fuck, I accidently read the spoiler w/o realizing I hadn't seen that yet. :(
- Ash
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:I like Deb. She brings he sailor attitude to the show.
I'm not annoyed by her sailor attitude. I'm just annoyed by her being so stupid.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Ashur wrote:Fuck, I accidently read the spoiler w/o realizing I hadn't seen that yet. :(
Err stupid website kept failling to post, and finally posted only the quote :(
Well, i did it too Ashur, because stupid eztv was down, so hadnt see there was a new episode out .)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Well I finally caught up through Episode 5
[Show]
I did get caught offguard by the shooting of Deb and Lundy. I assumed after unfortunately reading about Lundy's death that he was going to be Trinity's bludgeoning victim.

Apparently Trinity and Dexter aren't so much alike, as Trinity has no problems murdering people who get close to stopping/discovering him, whereas Dexter clearly does, like with the detective in Season 2 before his hawt and psychotic girlfriend blew the poor guy up.
- Ash
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

nm lol
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

[Show]
Hi Dad!
Fuck Michigan!
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

[Show]
It made my bones shiver when she said that. I love this show.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

[Show]
I can't wait til Dexter pays her a night-time visit! I've hated that stupid slut since her first appearance on the show.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Aslanna wrote:
Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:I like Deb. She brings he sailor attitude to the show.
I'm not annoyed by her sailor attitude. I'm just annoyed by her being so stupid.
After 3 seasons, I expected her to grow on me, but she hasn't. She is too shrill and high-strung at times. I hate hate hate when she is stressed out because I want to kick her in the crotch. She gets that crazy-eye, high-pitch-voice thing going and I want to turn the TV off. The "sailor attitude" is just a sad, obvious attempt for the "damaged girl" to act tough. Please, show me more mutilations, just get the pathetic skank off the screen!
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

All I have to say is..

Holy fuck! what an ending..
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

[Show]
Wow... That was one of the most intense and unsettling finales of any show ever. I was not expecting something like that to happen so suddenly, but it makes a lot of sense when looking back upon this season.

This was easily the best season of Dexter since season 1. Maybe even the best season so far. I'm still in a state of shock... Can't imagine what the next season is going to be like.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

My fiancée and I were just kind of sitting there in shock after the end of that, when I turned to her and said...
[Show]
See, that's what happens to wives who kiss other men
:o

That was crazy. I was sitting there thinking "Man, this has been relatively uneventful. No cliffhanger or anything... HOLY SHIT, DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?!"

What an amazing show.
[Show]
I'm curious... who is going to babysit for him? He works a lot of hours between his job and his "hobby", I wonder how they are going to do it with no Rita around.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Wow ...
[Show]
though, I had to think "Fuck, how is he going to explain Arthur coming after Rita...?"
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Zaelath wrote:Wow ...
[Show]
though, I had to think "Fuck, how is he going to explain Arthur coming after Rita...?"
That's what I was wondering as well.
[Show]
was in total shock at the ending. My guess for this season finale was that Trinity would escape and kill Rita or Dex's son in the process. I didn't think it would turn out like this though. I'm still in shock at how this season ended. Amazing.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That is all.
Fuck Michigan!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

See, television industry? Do you see? This is how you make a good TV show.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I'm watching episode 2 right now, and there is a corpse that is breathing regularly. They're at a crime scene about 11 minutes in, and the poor guy is sucking in air while they talk about him getting whacked.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Kaldaur wrote:I'm watching episode 2 right now, and there is a corpse that is breathing regularly. They're at a crime scene about 11 minutes in, and the poor guy is sucking in air while they talk about him getting whacked.
He's just trying to breathe a little life into the role.
- Ash
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Wow.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

[Show]
I don't see where they go from here...
- Ash
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

[Show]
Well, this was supposed to be the last season coming up. However, Dexter is Showtime's flagship show. I doubt they're going to can their big hit. If however, this stays the final season, I can realistically see the magnifying glass coming to rest upon him. For instance, why did Trinity come after Rita? The thin reason would be against Deborah for her part in his hunt. However, I don't see that holding up for long. Deborah will begin to look closely at why Trinity would have targetted Rita, and let's not forget Quinn, who is now Doakes 2.0. Dexter has been pissing him off all season, he's going to be ballistic because his girlfriend used him, and he's going to channel that anger towards Dexter. Dexter will begin to unravel, letting his Dark Passenger lead him further down the hole that Rita was keeping him out of. I could see him shipping the younger kids off to the grandparents, while he keeps an uneasy eye on the baby.
I don't think this will end well for Dexter. Whenever the last season comes about, I truly believe we'll see him incarcerated. His code is all but gone; this last season proved that with the murder of an innocent man and the stalking of Trinity. Besides, 'Kyle Butler' will raise some questions with the family of Trinity. What happens if they connect the dots? There's so many loose ends that could prove to be his downfall.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Kaldaur wrote:
[Show]
Well, this was supposed to be the last season coming up. However, Dexter is Showtime's flagship show. I doubt they're going to can their big hit. If however, this stays the final season, I can realistically see the magnifying glass coming to rest upon him. For instance, why did Trinity come after Rita? The thin reason would be against Deborah for her part in his hunt. However, I don't see that holding up for long. Deborah will begin to look closely at why Trinity would have targetted Rita, and let's not forget Quinn, who is now Doakes 2.0. Dexter has been pissing him off all season, he's going to be ballistic because his girlfriend used him, and he's going to channel that anger towards Dexter. Dexter will begin to unravel, letting his Dark Passenger lead him further down the hole that Rita was keeping him out of. I could see him shipping the younger kids off to the grandparents, while he keeps an uneasy eye on the baby.
I don't think this will end well for Dexter. Whenever the last season comes about, I truly believe we'll see him incarcerated. His code is all but gone; this last season proved that with the murder of an innocent man and the stalking of Trinity. Besides, 'Kyle Butler' will raise some questions with the family of Trinity. What happens if they connect the dots? There's so many loose ends that could prove to be his downfall.
Season One: Origin Story
Season Two: Public Display, so to speak, of Dexter's work. For the first time he's trying to come to terms with the Dark Passenger.
Season Three: Rebelling against his father then accepting him.
Season Four: About Dexter's arrogance.
Season Five: Most likely - Reflection on life through his son, ending in self-turning in or being caught.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't even know what this show is about or even seen an episode but wow...just wow.

There's a lot of wows. WOW!
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

I thought you hated Wow. You sure do talk about it a lot.

WOWW
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Winnow wrote:I don't even know what this show is about or even seen an episode but wow...just wow.

There's a lot of wows. WOW!
Just watch it.
- Ash
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I don't even know what this show is about or even seen an episode but wow...just wow.
WOW! you've never seen Dexter! WOW! :)
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

[Show]
I wonder if Rita will be back as the voice in his head (instead of his father). I could see that working out pretty well.
Taison Earbiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Taison Earbiter »

[Show]
Neroon wrote:I wonder if Rita will be back as the voice in his head (instead of his father). I could see that working out pretty well.
No, they've already said that won't be happening. You wont be seeing Rita again on Dexter (at least not anything new from her).
"The secret of being boring is to say everything."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've been on a serious Dexter viewing marathon but still have 5 episodes to go to catch up through season 4.

Having watched 3.5 seasons close together, I found that seasons 1 and 2 were excellent. Season 3 slipped a bit and season 4 has been hurting from the start (in comparison to the first three). I get the sneaking suspicion that I already know what the "wow" is going to be with 5 episodes left. If I'm right, then it might make for a much more interesting season 5 and hopefully final season as this quality show is showing signs of wearing thin.

I'll hold off on detailed comments until I finish the rest but it's been and entertaining show so far.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

hmmmm
[Show]
Well, sad to say, I saw the "wow" part coming from the five episodes left time period mentioned above.

I was hoping the "wow" was Dexters just fucking losing his grip and killing his family or something. That would have been worthy of a "wow".

I'm glad Lundy dies early in Season 4. A retired FBI agent hanging around, with his shit eating conceited grin, was rather lame. They should have left him with Season 2. Debra Morgan's love affair with the lifeless informant guy was also a waste of air time.

I guess it's just me but Dexter's little narrative seemed to get a little broken recordish in season 4. Same shit over and over again while in the early seasons, more was being gleaned from them.

I was also getting tired of Rita. She's boring and was starting to get pretty worthless to the storyline whereas she was great in seasons one and two and most of three.. Best to kill her off. I was hoping the entire family got whacked so Dexter could go a little more wild in Season 5. What's up with the other two kids? Will that be part of season 5's plot? Rescue them? There's got to be a reason they weren't pictured in the final scene.

I dunno. Dexter's side kills weren't all the interesting in Season 4.

Sgt Doakes was a much more compelling character than this Joey Quinn guy. There's no likable side to this Joey Quinn guy. He's pure douche an this, not a very interesting character, just annoying.

Their struggles to keep Lt. Maria Laguerta and Angel Batista relevant to the show seemed very strained and thrown in probably because they were under contrac and had to do something with the characters.

Even the "ghost" of Harry Morgan was over used in Season 4, with the same broken record effect as Dexter's "narrative" comments.

Dexter's cool ability to shuffle his different lives around lost some luster as well in season 4 as it got close to comical what he was doing and they also eliminated more and more of his preparation work and let the viewer just assume things. They almost turned him into a superman instead of keeping his stealth abilities believable.

I suppose I'll stick with my former comments. This is an excellent show but the first two seasons are way above the second two seasons, even though season 3 and 4 are very watchable. Let Dexter go wild in season 5 and then end it.