Wolverine

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Wolverine

Post by Winnow »

Wolverine working print has been released to the intertubes.

hope it doesn't hurt the box office numbers too much.

edit: oops merge this with Origins thread please!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Re: Wolverine

Post by Aardor »

Winnow wrote:Wolverine working print has been released to the intertubes.

hope it doesn't hurt the box office numbers too much.

edit: oops merge this with Origins thread please!
Doubt it will. It's missing scenes, and special effects. Plus it's a hyped Hugh Jackman movie.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Good movie.

I predict most will rate this as their favorite X movie.

The movie is mostly complete, good audio and video. This is worth checking out just to see the unfinished scenes and how a movie progresses. As you get late in the movie, there less finished scenes. It's cool seeing the placeholders and bluescreen stuff as well as seeing the harnesses on the actors during fight scenes. You see grey CGI graphic placeholders in some spots.

This will help the movie, not hurt it. As it stands, unfinished/polished, it's a very good movie. It makes me more curious to see he final product after having seen it. i didn't watch it in one sitting and wasn't paying attention fully.

This version even includes the little 30 second additional scene you see after the credits in Marvel movies.

I wasn't particularly interested in this movie. Wolverine's Origin isn't what I'd prefer seeing but they did a nice job with it. i would have rather seen a more recent time period Wolverine movie with more mutants (although the mutants that are in the movie are done well)

Strong movie (based only on working copy) with a so so ending IMO. I wonder if some of the reworked scenes are near the end.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I've downloaded it but I think I'll hold on to it and watch it after I see the final product.

I'd rather see the complete vision first and then see the unpolished version.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leaked ‘Wolverine’ Movie Is ‘Misrepresentation Of The Film,’ Says Studio Chairman

Published by Rick Marshall on Friday, April 3, 2009 at 4:49 pm.

'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'For the studio behind “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” it’s been the sort of week that tests whether you really are “the best there is at what you do.” While 20th Century Fox hopes a mutant healing factor will be enough to recover after a rough version of their 2009 tentpole film was leaked online, the studio’s chairman has gone on the offensive in a recent interview.

“The version that went out is unfinished. It’s about 10 minutes shorter, doesn’t have key scenes, it wasn’t edited, and none of the effects shots were in any remotely final form,” Fox Chairman Tom Rothman told EW. “It’s a complete misrepresentation of the film and is deeply unfair to the people who have worked on it for years.”

The interview with Rothman goes on to name an Australian special effects company suspected of leaking the film (the company has publicly denied anything to do with the leak), with the studio exec acknowledging that the incident is indicative of a post-production process that is far less secure than anyone realized.

“We thought the post-production pipeline was secure at every juncture,” said Rothman. “But, obviously, it’s self-evident that it wasn’t. I have a high level of confidence we’ll find out where the lapse in security was and we’ll bring the perpetrators to justice.”

But what about the star of “Wolverine” and his feelings about the whole affair? According to Rothman, Hugh Jackman is “heartbroken and hurt” by the leak and its potential ramifications.

“He’s lived with this thing for 10 years. But he’s also a man and knows that life isn’t fair, and is more determined than ever,” said Rothman. “Hugh and I exchanged e-mails: Basically, we’re not going to let the bastards win. But we didn’t use the word ‘bastards.’ That’s a slightly sanitized version.”
When I searched last night for Wolverine on the newsgroups, here was already like 4-5 versions of it posted.

Real Proper is the best version I think from checking RS log.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

People that leak stuff before the release date., unfinished or otherwise, suck.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:People that leak stuff before the release date., unfinished or otherwise, suck.

I fully agree with that. Even people who camcorder vids suck.

Even so, this is worth checking out for the curiosity factor of how movies are put together even if watched after seeing the final release May 1st.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I fully agree with that, animals are cute and cuddly and we can get all the nutrition we need from plants that grow in the ground.

Even so, you need to try my delicious Baby Seal Soufflé recipe even if you're totally full from eating carrots.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I watched the workprint, but will still go see this in the theaters. the unfinished parts were hilarious.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I will see it in the theatre and buy the dvd when it is released. When it comes to my comic book movies I like to get the best quality. Then I'll decrypt it and put it on my computer. ;)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

A US columnist is out of a job after posting an online review of an illegally downloaded copy of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Roger Friedman, who wrote the piece on his regular column, had worked at the Fox news website for 10 years.

Fox News said that the company's representatives and Friedman "mutually agreed to part ways immediately".

It said that Friedman's behaviour was "reprehensible" and that it "condemned this act categorically".

The journalist wrote in his column on Thursday that downloading the 20th Century Fox film was "so much easier than going out in the rain".
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Aslanna wrote:
A US columnist is out of a job after posting an online review of an illegally downloaded copy of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Roger Friedman, who wrote the piece on his regular column, had worked at the Fox news website for 10 years.

Fox News said that the company's representatives and Friedman "mutually agreed to part ways immediately".

It said that Friedman's behaviour was "reprehensible" and that it "condemned this act categorically".

The journalist wrote in his column on Thursday that downloading the 20th Century Fox film was "so much easier than going out in the rain".
Sucks for him, but it was pretty stupid of him to post it. He did give the movie a pretty glowing review, so this is causing Fox some pretty bad press. My guess is that this movie being released early/incomplete is only going to help ticket sales/drive up hype.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Wolverine game, that will be released same time as the movie, looks like one of the best movie tie-ins I've seen. Might be fun!

http://kotaku.com/5207291/raven-softwar ... -wolverine
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You gotta feel bad for this movie. First, the movie is released a month early on the net and now, it's opening on a plague weekend where it's opening weekend numbers may very well be affected by the swine-flu.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A mutant superhero is no match for the swine flu that has killed up to 149 people in Mexico.

Hollywood movie studio 20th Century Fox said on Monday it was scrapping plans to release "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," the first big movie of the summer, in Mexico this weekend.

A spokesman for the News Corp-owned studio said the Hugh Jackman action movie would probably be delayed by a couple of weeks.

The outbreak has forced Mexico's top movie-theater chains to shut down dozens of cinemas throughout the nation's capital, part of a push by authorities to limit large public gatherings that could facilitate the spread of the disease.

"Wolverine" is still on schedule to open virtually everywhere else in the world this weekend. The following weekend, "Star Trek" flies into 50 markets, including Mexico. A spokeswoman for the film's Viacom Inc-owned distributor, Paramount Pictures, was not immediately available to comment on a possible new release date.
In other news,

I wonder why they picked Tempe, AZ for the world premier of Wolverine tonight. Seems like an odd choice but cool anyway! Even stranger is it was at the Tempe Marketplace. That's barely more than an average outdoor mall type place. Really weird for a movie of this size. Scottsdale at least has the Cine Capri which has some history.

Hugh arrives on Motorcycle:

On a side note, I heard on the radio this morning that Hugh Jackman was told that 800 people were waiting in line this morning to get into the premier tonight. He bought them all donuts and coffee.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

[Show]
Not really a spoiler but I don't want my impressions to effect others movie pleasure. I saw it on Saturday and while I felt it was a good movie I didn't get that "Holy Shit" feeling from it. I don't know what was nagging me about it other than I think I was looking for more background on some of the other characters. I would have loved to have seen more Ryan Reynolds. They had someone else play Deadpool even though it was supposed to be his character.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

A piece of shit, not even close to being redeemed by its only positive feature - Hugh Jackman. And I am a comicbook movie fanboi.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

My friend saw it and he loved it. He also likes Fast and the Furious though, so it's hard to take his recommendation seriously.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

meh. predictable dialog and story mitigated by awesome fights and affects. i still gladly give my money to see all Marvel flicks (save Spiderman yeccchhhh) and will probably buy it to maintain the X-collection. Sabretooth better than expected, dead pool more interesting than expected.
[Show]
Why is a Canadian fighting in the civil war and vietnam? were there any post-credits nuggets?
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Gzette wrote:meh. predictable dialog and story mitigated by awesome fights and affects. i still gladly give my money to see all Marvel flicks (save Spiderman yeccchhhh) and will probably buy it to maintain the X-collection. Sabretooth better than expected, dead pool more interesting than expected.
[Show]
Why is a Canadian fighting in the civil war and vietnam? were there any post-credits nuggets?
[Show]
Because Canada's history is really boring so they had to head down to the U.S. to make his history interesting.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Big props to Huge Jackedman for at least doing some justice to the Wolverine-character by using a hard workout-regimen and getting to a low bodyfat level with visible veins.

Near optimal pussypulling physique.

The choice for Sabretooth was quite odd though.

Liev is a good actor but did not look quite as imposing like the comic-book character. Only thing similar were the claws lol.

Why Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool? Is that the only wisecracking actor suited to play the Merc with a mouth?

Hollywood change the comics as they please.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Why Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool? Is that the only wisecracking actor suited to play the Merc with a mouth?
Pretty much. Was he as ripped in this as he was in Blade 3?
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Why Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool? Is that the only wisecracking actor suited to play the Merc with a mouth?
Pretty much. Was he as ripped in this as he was in Blade 3?
RR was perfect for the role.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

If you look at the credits though some other actor played Deadpool for some reason. RR was just as ripped as in Blade 3. I find him hilarious and wish they would have had more with him.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This had a 160 million worldwide opening weekend. A sequel is already in the works which will focus entirely on Wolverine's samauri storyline, whcih happens to be Jackman's favorite plotline.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Fairweather Pure wrote:This had a 160 million worldwide opening weekend. A sequel is already in the works which will focus entirely on Wolverine's samauri storyline, whcih happens to be Jackman's favorite plotline.
it's going to be:

the second to last samurai: wolverine
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fairweather Pure wrote:This had a 160 million worldwide opening weekend. A sequel is already in the works which will focus entirely on Wolverine's samauri storyline, whcih happens to be Jackman's favorite plotline.
Great! Then we will see Silver Samurai, Sunfire, the band of Ninjas called "The Hand" and lots of Martial Arts!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Wasn't Wolverine involved with Electra? It's been a while since I read those comics.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I really wish that Watchmen would've done this well at the box office :( It's total theatrical run, both foreign and domestic, was 181 million.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Japanese Wolverine stuff is my least favorite. Actually, I mostly like Wolverine classic (1980's) as part of the Uncanny X-Men.

bub

fastball special!

(pic not from the 80's!)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Bubba Grizz wrote:Wasn't Wolverine involved with Electra? It's been a while since I read those comics.
Marvel has a habit of bringing the dead back and let's not forget all the insane time-traveling and alternate reality timelines. Anything is possible, but it never happened in any of the comics I read.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

The movie was ok but...
[Show]
they ruined Deadpool. Since when does he have cyclops powers and have swords come out of his hands like Wolverine?

Fucking horrible.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

This movie was a fun action flick if i turned my brain off.

As a comic fan though I was rather annoyed. There were plenty of inconsistencies and contradictions. Then again, my biggest beef with Marvel was that there were so many different storylines when they decided to start alternate universes. So who knows what the fuck is what anymore.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Lynks wrote:The movie was ok but...
[Show]
they ruined Deadpool. Since when does he have cyclops powers and have swords come out of his hands like Wolverine?

Fucking horrible.
Apparently, he will
[Show]
lose the cyclops-powers, the power to port like Wraith etc, and hhe will remove the stitches from his mouth and become more true to his comic-persona in the upcoming spin-off movie, Wolverine Origins: Deadpool
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0773202/
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Eh
[Show]
Not sure how they will work that considering the end of the Wolvie movie, but they did completely fuck his character up. I thought the beginning with Ryan was spot on as far as his smart assedness, but he didn't exhibit any of the crazy schizo stuff that he does in the comics.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

I just saw this yesterday, and I enjoyed it (due to low expectations, and being pleasantly surprised). I'm a big comic book fan, but sometimes technicalities of super powers bug me. One nit-pick I have always had is Wolverine's claws and how they extend.

In the first X-Men movie, there is a scene at the end where Magneto forces Wolverine's arms to cross and bends his wrists so his knuckles are against his own chest. In order to escape, Wolverine extends his claws, impaling himself in the process. Wouldn't his claws have burst out of his wrists? How did they "bend" and curve out of his hands?

Now we have Deadpool, who apparently keeps two 30" long swords stashed in his arms. Can he bend his elbows when the swords are retracted? Or does he walk around like marching Nazi soldier?
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Saw it yesterday. If you turn your brain off, its a decent action flick, but...
[Show]
continuity in it is a joke. Hell, bad enough they seems to shit on the comic behind it, but its not even consistent with the other movies its SUPPOSED to be a prequel to.

List of my issues with it:
Why kill off Blob? Its not seem, but Sabertooth say so. He is an established character, unlike the rest of the special team (deadpool excluded), and killing him off here is just ridiculous.

Sabertooth: I actually LIKED this sabertooth better than the guy in the earlier movies. He is not as true to the comic book, and a LOT less feral psychopath, but he had charm, and seemed to be a thinking animal ,and seemed a LOT more dangerous than the "hit it till it fall over" sabertooth from the other movies. But changing him from how he was in the comic, and in the earlier movies, and changing the actor = bad.

Deadpool: I was surprised, i never really cared for Deadpool, and the RR role seemed perfect, and then they decided to mess it all up by a new concept for Deadpool, new origin, new powers, fucked up adamantium swords that would mean he would not be able to bend his arms, his looks, his muteness.

Gambit: Wrong looks, wrong accent, no charm.

Cyclops: Cyclops in Project X is an interesting choice, ruining continuity with the later movies, since Cyclops have now met Wolverine before, but of course, considering how much they cared for Cyclops in X-Men 3, i guess its a free for all molesting of his character. True, he didnt see Wolverine himself, but he never talked to ANYONE about who rescued them? Especially when Emma Frost is there with her telepathic abilities, it seems wierd.

Wolverine: He can heal himself, he can withstand Phoenix blasting him at full force and still regenerate, but an adamantium bullet in his brain kill his memories when much larger damages to just about any part of him has happened in both movies and comics. VERY lame reason for his memory loss.
And how the HELL did they manage to bring in his bone claws, after X-men 2 where its told that Stryker gave him his claws. And if the bone claws were there, how come they didnt start to regenerate when Sabertooth broke them? And since it is clearly shown that they just injected Wolverine with adamantium, how come he have claws on both hands, since one pair was broken and didnt regenerate.

Children: Wolverine freed a load of children, didnt he? How come they didnt all make it to Xaviers chopper? And if the one in the cage making weather stuff was Storm, why dont she remember Wolverine?

Kayla: She got killed the first time. How come Wolverine, an animalistic mutant with HIGH sense of smell dont notice that A, she is not dead. B, she dont have any wounds, although lots of blood are present, C, that its not her blood, D, if there was some sort of deal between her and Sabertooth and she gave him blood, why dont he smell its not fresh.

Blood: Wolverine kill a hell of a lot of people. Where are the blood? I KNOW its a rating issue, but it always pisses me off how come Wolverine are able to slice people up, stab them and so on, without a drop of blood on his claws, or anywhere else. Bad enough they just do a "i only hit people, and cut up items" in the animated series, but here he DO cut people up and kill people, but still no blood.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"