Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Joss Whedon's Dollhouse

Post by Winnow »

Anyone seen it yet?

I'm downloading the first episode right now. It premiered Friday.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Joss Whedon's Dollhouse

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It has potential.

For a first episode, it was decent but not earth shattering IMO. I'm interested to see where he's going to go with it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The first episode didn't hook me. The show need a lot more character development. Firefly managed that in a single episode.

I'll keep watching and give it a chance.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Winnow wrote:The first episode didn't hook me. The show need a lot more character development. Firefly managed that in a single episode.

I'll keep watching and give it a chance.
:vv_yeahthat:

It will be a challenge to develop a character that has her mind wiped twice an episode. Obviously, she is going to start developing a "residual personality" as seen a little bit in the first episode. On the plus side, she's hot and it appears there will be many scenes with miniskirts. Can't complain about that.

On a related Joss Whedon note, if you get the chance, check out Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog on hulu.com. Total run time is 45 mins, and you won't regret it. I should mention that it stars the greatness of the NPH as well as Nathan Fillon from Firefly. I heard of it from an NPR podcast with a (smart) tv critic who had it in his top 10 shows of the year, despite it being internet only and only three 15-min episodes. Also, a fantastic title.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Gzette wrote:
On a related Joss Whedon note, if you get the chance, check out Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog on hulu.com. Total run time is 45 mins, and you won't regret it. I should mention that it stars the greatness of the NPH as well as Nathan Fillon from Firefly. I heard of it from an NPR podcast with a (smart) tv critic who had it in his top 10 shows of the year, despite it being internet only and only three 15-min episodes. Also, a fantastic title.
Yah, discussion of Dr Horrible here:

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 11&t=22994

I hope Whedon is going somewhere unexpected with Dollhouse because I just dont' get it yet (why he would think it would make a good weekly series) I mean, we're going to get tired of seeing Echo's mind wiped pretty quick and if she remembers, it pretty much makes the show even less interesting.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I thought it was okay, but I am hoping it gets a lot better. I'm a big Whedon fan, so I am pretty sure he won't disappoint.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I think this was a very nice episode and a great way of setting up a series.

Hopefully the Friday Night death slot doesn't kill this one before it has the chance to garner a following.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Animalor wrote:I think this was a very nice episode and a great way of setting up a series.

Hopefully the Friday Night death slot doesn't kill this one before it has the chance to garner a following.
Is Friday night still a death slot with all the DVR's out there? I suppose it's also reliant on how much ratings count DVR recordings, if they even are. I did a very short google search to see if it did, but didn't come up with anything conclusive or up to date so I don't know.

As far as the show, I thought it was pretty meh and had nice eye candy. I'm not a huge Whedon fan but I never really gave anything but Firefly and his 3 recent shorts a chance, so I'm not as familiar with his writing as other people seem to be. I am left wondering where the hell an interesting storyline will be coming from, but hey it's still only the first episode.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/13229/ ... mal-debut/
It's official, FOX on Friday is where sci-fi goes to die.

The series premiere of "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon's anticipated return to television, "Dollhouse," pulled in a mere 4.7 million viewers Friday night says The Live Feed.

The numbers make it the lowest-rated scripted series premiere on a major broadcast network this season aside from NBC's already cancelled adventurer series "Crusoe."

Nevertheless the show fared better than the midseason return of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" which it was paired with, that series pulling in a series low of 3.7 million viewers.

The prognosis sounds dire, but the short-lived "Canterbury's Law" last year in the same timeslot fared worse. NBC's ailing "Friday Night Lights" also pulled in lower numbers with 3.5 million viewers.
Well, fuck. Why do I even bother. I mean, really?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I still find it hard to understand how 4 million viewers is 'dismal.'
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

More people were watching Supernanny...

That's dismal.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I DVR'ed it. Too bad those apparently don't count.

The problem with DVR'ing is that advertisers are pretty much screwed with it. People fast forward through the ads and the model collapses.

I peronsally wait 20-30 minutes after a show starts so I can catch it without suffering through ads.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I still don't understand why they put what they do in a Friday night timeslot. I can understand why Supernanny would get better ratings, people with kids are more likely to be home on a Friday night than the target demographic for Dollhouse.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

This happened to Dark Angel and Firefly too. They (major networks) should just stop airing shows on Friday altogether then. Everyone else was watching Battlestar Galactica!

Edit: I worry about Terminator because I really like that show. I would hope that with the new Terminator movie coming out that it would bolster more viewers. It used to be on Monday night. I had no idea that it had been moved to Friday. I blame American Idol and all other shows like it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah putting a show aimed at 18-35 Year old men for the most part - on a Friday night is fucking retarded.

I loved Dark Angel and was pissed off when that show got canceled, and to be honest from the first time I saw this show advertised I thought it sounded like Dark Angel with a android instead of people, and once I heard it was on Friday nights I figured it might run a season if it was lucky, but probably not even that.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Or perhaps Joss Whedon simply doesn't have the mainstream appeal you guys think he deserves.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:Or perhaps Joss Whedon simply doesn't have the mainstream appeal you guys think he deserves.
It could be that too, I have no idea.

All I'm saying is - I was looking forward to this show and really wanted to watch it, but have been unable to because I haven't been at home when it's on. And I'm guessing I'm not the only one.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

In what respect? He doesn't have the mainstream appeal to deserve a different timeslot, or to draw more than 4 million viewers?

I've never really watched any of his previous stuff, other than Dr. Horrible (which I quite enjoyed). I was hoping to see what all the buzz was about with this series.

I DVR'ed it and watched it later. I don't believe DVRs count ratings-wise, which would be a shame. My un-scientific opinion is that the Venn diagram of fans of Whedon and DVR owners is just one circle wholly containing another one.

I almost never watch tv as it is broadcast anymore. The only time I do, it's pretty much for syndicated programming rather than first-run broadcasts.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I watched it and was disappointed.

It didn't have any of the Whedon charm (quirky humor) that his other shows had. What made Buffy, Firefly, and Angel so great were the silly moments, the funny characterizations. I didn't catch of whiff of it with Dollhouse. I'll keep watching but I'm not expecting much.

The acting was not that great either. Some of the dialogue sounded clunky.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

In what respect? He doesn't have the mainstream appeal to deserve a different timeslot, or to draw more than 4 million viewers?
I mean that since Buffy, his projects have been garnering less and less commercial success.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
I mean that since Buffy, his projects have been garnering less and less commercial success.

Sadly, the mainstream likes shows like American Idol.

While Dollhouse is lacking the normal Whedon cleverness, the rest of his work I'd watch over mainstream except for BSG.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I enjoyed the show. There's enough story here and elements put out in the pilot to warrent watching for a while to see where Joss takes this.

He may have lost some people with a confusing 20 minute start to the show. My wife is (unfortunately) squarely in the AI/Reality TV demographic and asked me for some clarifications at a few points in the show.

I personally am going to keep DVR'ing/watching. Joss has never dissapointed with his previous efforts.

I am really bummed that Terminator will probably be axed at the end of the season though.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've already taken it off my DVR. I'm cutting my losses.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I've already taken it off my DVR. I'm cutting my losses.
I'm keeping it. Even if my wife doesn't follow through with the show, I can still watch it on my Zune while cycling at the gym.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Second episode was better. Starting to see where things are going to go. My only real gripe right now, other than it not really feeling like a Joss Whedon show (other than the scientist guy), is that Eliza Dushku is terrible at acting "blank" :P
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

The series premiere of "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon's anticipated return to television, "Dollhouse," pulled in a mere 4.7 million viewers Friday night says The Live Feed.

The numbers make it the lowest-rated scripted series premiere on a major broadcast network this season
I'd never heard of it, seen any advertisements for it, until probably the 2nd episode was coming - and that's only because I was watching Sara Connor at the time.
aside from NBC's already cancelled adventurer series "Crusoe."
That ticks me off. I enjoyed that show. Though I was honestly wondering how they were going to keep it going.. There's only so many times you can get " " close to getting home and failing before it gets old.
Nevertheless the show fared better than the midseason return of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" which it was paired with, that series pulling in a series low of 3.7 million viewers.
This show deserves to be axed. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it stay and develop, but the writing for it has sucked balls. I was so stunned that the "finale" last season for this show sucked so much, that I was pissed. It's still better than Heroes has been, but not by much. And as much as I like Summer Glau (sp), her acting as a machine/terminator sucks. A lot. The other 3 main characters are all enjoyable though.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Dregor Thule wrote:Second episode was better. Starting to see where things are going to go. My only real gripe right now, other than it not really feeling like a Joss Whedon show (other than the scientist guy), is that Eliza Dushku is terrible at acting "blank" :P
Watched it, and yeah I agree on all points. I'll keep with it, but it doesn't look like it will last much longer.

Oh and I really don't like the tech/geek guy who does all the programming. If he was written to be even just a little conflicted or concerned about what he was doing, maybe I'd find him a little humorous. He's the only remotely Whedonesque character on the show but he's not likeable at all.
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Lalanae wrote: Oh and I really don't like the tech/geek guy who does all the programming. If he was written to be even just a little conflicted or concerned about what he was doing, maybe I'd find him a little humorous. He's the only remotely Whedonesque character on the show but he's not likeable at all.
You both disapprove of everything. You're gonna get married and have scowly babies!
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

First off, I actually like the scientist guy. I recognize and admit that he has almost no redeeming personality traits going for him, but I just love the sarcastic jokes. He also reminds me a lot of Warren from Buffy.

As for this weeks episode, the show keeps improving, but I don't think it's going to last. They're trying hard, really pushing that ole sex factor, but I think it's doomed. Friday night death knell on Fox! In regards to the story, I was taken completely by surprise with Helo's gangster informant being a "doll", so kudos to them for throwing that surprise at me. I was guessing the cute neighbor was the plant. Of course, hey, maybe they both are!
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

There was an article in RS about him and this show a week or two ago. They basically said that fox fucked up the show so bad that Joss quit after the 2nd episode. They got him back for a time but I don't know how much he is really involved at this point.
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Spankes wrote:There was an article in RS about him and this show a week or two ago. They basically said that fox fucked up the show so bad that Joss quit after the 2nd episode. They got him back for a time but I don't know how much he is really involved at this point.
Fox always fuck's up Joss's shows because they are too smart for the Fox Execs. ABC would have done this show and FireFly justice!
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

Anyone still watching this? I really enjoyed last night's episode since they have finally clued us in on where the storyline is going.

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2009/03/dollhouse-joss.html
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I've kept watching. The show is getting steadily better imo. Hopefully it gets at least a 2nd season.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

The most recent episode was a lot stronger than the previous ones. The plot is starting to come together and there's some interesting things going on. I knew the neighbor chick was, other than being a hottie, a doll! In my opinion, the strong characters of the show are Boyd, Topher and Ballard. I think Dominic is pretty useless as a character, and I'm still on the fence about DeWitt's character, tho she's starting to show some interesting qualities. And, unfortunately, I'm not really liking Echo, which really is a bad thing since she's supposed to be the star of the show. I dunno, I guess I just don't feel Eliza Dushku is that versatile an actress and she's in a role that requires extreme versatility. She was great as Faith, she does the bad-girl thing very well, but otherwise I don't buy into it. IMO Helo is keeping the show afloat for me :P
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Yeah that last episode was really good. Hope to see more episodes like that in the future.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

valryte wrote:Yeah that last episode was really good. Hope to see more episodes like that in the future.
Me too, but that probably means Fox will just cancel it.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

It gets better and better with every episode. This show is great. ETA 5 more episodes to cancellation.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Yep. Now that I'm actually interested and getting to like it we'll surely hear about its cancellation any day now.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Why did this show have to get made on Fox..... At least ABC or NBC would have kept it for more than a season.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

I really like this show! It gets better and better every episode. Which as others have said, means it'll soon be canceled :(
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Ransure wrote:Why did this show have to get made on Fox..... At least ABC or NBC would have kept it for more than a season.
Well I would like to know why Whedon went with Fox considering how he got screwed over by Fox twice before and never made it any secret that he hated how Fox handled his shows.
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Well, as I understand it, Dushku had a production deal with Fox, so she was sort of locked into it. How she convinced him to do it with her while at Fox I dunno!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Dregor Thule wrote:Well, as I understand it, Dushku had a production deal with Fox, so she was sort of locked into it. How she convinced him to do it with her while at Fox I dunno!
I bet Eliza could get a kinda out of Joss if she wanted it...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

And here you go:
Fox cuts short 'Dollhouse'

Fox has scheduled the season finale of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, but some sharp-eyed fans have noticed that there's something missing: the show's 13th episode.

The Dollhouse closer airs May 8, titled "Omega," and represents the show's 12th episode aired. But there's also a 13th episode called "Epitaph One," directed by Whedon.

Whedon compatriot Felicia Day (Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog) had a role in the unscheduled episode and Twittered: "Man, day getting worse and worse. Found out my Dollhouse ep, #13 isn't gonna air. Only on DVD. Such a great part too. Thx Fox. :( ..."

And then later DrHorrible, the account from Whedon's Web show, replied, "It's true. Dollhouse ep 13 isn't going to air. This makes @feliciaday sad. How do you feel? Why don't share those feelings with FOX?"

Reps from the 20th Century Fox studio and from the network declined to comment, but sources say the network has a different point of view on this news.

One could argue that Fox's entire season order was filled because the original Dollhouse pilot never aired; Whedon reshot it. If "Epitaph One" airs, well, that's like paying the studio for 14 hours instead of 13. Sources also say the story in the "Omega" season finale is more or less Whedon's original vision for how the season would end, so fans watching the show should have some degree of closure.

Except, of course, there's yet another shot episode out there, and it's tough to see Fox not airing the 13th hour of a series that's performing strong in the ratings -- you don't dicker over who pays the bill on a dinner date that's going well.

Despite Day's comment that "Epitaph One" will appear on the DVD, sources say such matters have not been decided yet. It's a pretty safe bet the episode will appear somewhere, though. Unaired episodes typically see daylight nowadays between DVD and online streaming, so the content will likely surface provided the studio decides to pay for some postproduction.

All parties also insist the network has not canceled Dollhouse, though the network declining to air an episode isn't encouraging. The most recent episode of Dollhouse earned a 1.5 rating among adults 18-49, with companion Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles pulling a 1.3. Sources say the odds of Terminator surviving are pretty slim, but the closed-door verdict on Dollhouse is not in yet.

"Omega" finale description: "Alpha's reign of terror continues as his obsession with Echo endangers Caroline's survival. Ballard must make a life-changing decision, and one Doll is permanently deactivated while another's shocking past is revealed."

UPDATE: Producer Tim Minear posting on Whedonesque, says the episode will definitely be on the DVD and confirms Fox's "we're gonna count the scrapped pilot" stance: "Okay. So maybe I can help clarify this somewhat. Because we scrapped the original pilot -- and in fact cannibalized some of its parts for other eps -- we really ended up with 12 episodes. But the studio makes DVD and other deals based on the original 13 number. So we created a standalone kind of coda episode. Which is the mythical new episode 13. The network had already paid for 13 episodes, and this included the one they agreed to let us scrap for parts. It does not include the one we made to bring the number back up to 13 for the studio side and its obligations. We always knew it would be for the DVD for sure, but we also think Fox should air it because it’s awesome."
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Can't say I'm surprised. That's how Fox rolls!

Edit: Be sure to tune in to the Season 800 premier of Nanny 911 next week! :roll:
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Well, it's not dead yet, but looking grim.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Haha, that was awesome. Totally didn't see it coming! First of all, Alan Tudyk is phenomenal, I was cracking up. And then when he switched and carved up Victor it was like a bucket of water had been thrown on me. Sweet!
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

I am in full concurment with you. Tudyk was hilarious, and that big of a spin is great. Hoping he becomes a key member of the cast.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Just finished watching last Friday's..

That... Was... Awesome!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Yeah, Tudyk was bloody brilliant in that role :).

And while were talking Tudyk, he is in the latest episode of PG Porn, check it out at http://www.spike.com/video/pg-porn-high-poon/3157900 (MIGHT not be safe for work, depending on your work).
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"