Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: LOST: Season 5

Post by Lalanae »

The best theory about the statue so far is that its is this guy:
[Show]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermanubis

It would explain the Latin langauge requirement of the Others, the Egyptian stuff, the ruins not exactly looking Egyptian, the ears not looking like traditional Anubis ears (longer, pontier)
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

But did he have 4 toes!?!?!?

Definitely looks like the statue was holding ankhs. I'm not really seeing the resemblance from behind to Hermanubis. It doesn't look like it has big animal ears, more like some headdress with stuff sweeping back on the sides or something.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Putting discussion of statue theories in spoiler tags
[Show]
Most Egptian animal gods had 4 toes, including Anubis. Anubis would be most appropriate diety to be represented on the island (considering many of the clues, especially his relationship with cerberus, the "dog" themes, hidden clues like the word "underworld" from the hieroglyphics) except that his ears are tall and pointed in every representation of him...except for his Roman version. The statue in that link is just one interpretation of the diety, not necessarily supposed to look anything like the statue in Lost. What I was primarily trying to point out is that Anubis's mythology carried over into Roman mythology which could account for the differences and why the Others spoke Latin. And yes, that statue has animal ears and a jackal face. (EDIT: If I'm not making sense what I mean is that I believe the statue is Anubis, with a Roman artist's interpretation of him)

Another big theory is that the statue is Ta-weret a fertility goddess. There is a picture floating around that is remarkably similar to the statue's positioning (with 2 ankhs) and the ears are the same. The problem with this one is the gender doesn't seem to match and Ta-waret was a chunky little hippo :P Yes, hippo. I can see it being kind of a let down if they ever show the face and its a hippo face lol. The fertility aspect is kind of fitting though (protector of pregnant women) and Ta-weret is kind of interesting otherwise. She was the wife of the god of evil, a demon-wife...

Then there is Ra. There is a clue in his name that some people have pointed out. A kind of clue that the Lost creators have used before, but also could be jut a coincidence. Ra had a falcon head though, so I doubt it's him.

There are a few idiots that think the statue is Juliet just because in an episode some time ago (I think when Juliet arrived on the Island) some Other mentioned that Juliet "looks like her." At the time it was assumed that "her" was someone in Ben's past, like Annie or maybe another love interest. I think it's probably that "her" probably IS Juliet, just her in the past . I don't know how anyone could make any connection between that comment and the statue though, especially since the statue's dress is obviously male. I know some of my theories can stretch, but that one is one of the dumbest I've seen people rally behind.
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Hehe, I don't know if discussing possible theories is /spoiler worthy... I think anyone who is not up to date with the show and reading this thread would be totally lost (pun intended). :)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Don't get me wrong, it definitely could be Anubis and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it ended up being him. I didn't know they were often depicted with 4 toes, very interesting AND I learned something new today. I started reading your description of Ta-weret and got all excited until the hippo part. Yeah, not her :P I wouldn't rule out Ra because of the "ears". Like I said, it almost looks like some swept back thing rather than ears, like a head dress. If we allow for that, then possibly adding Thoth to the list of possible gods might make sense, him being the god of time.

All that being said Anubis is the strongest candidate if it IS a god and not something else.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Dregor Thule wrote: I started reading your description of Ta-weret and got all excited until the hippo part.
If that got you excited, you should see the comparison pic someone created

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Image:T ... 4_toes.jpg
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I am rigid with excitement! Definitely looks plausible.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

No Lost tonight, right? :(
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

It's definitely a statue of someone from The Simpsons.

Image'

...though Homer's feet are a bit too chunky, as is the rest of the body.

Perhaps the islanders once worshiped Auto?
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Hehe, yeah, those aren't ankhs, they are doughnuts :)
Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Sylvus wrote:No Lost tonight, right? :(
That's what Eric says, but he's been wrong before so I was waiting for 3rd party confirmation. Damn you!
Lalanae
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

[Show]
Rumor has it that some one major is going to die.
A current series regular is getting killed before the end of season five.
The character who will die is someone who is much-loved by many of you fans.
This is a real leaving-the-show death, à la Shannon or Charlie, not a quick-fix time-travel death like Jeremy Bentham/John Locke.

Personally, I hope it is Juliet.
Read this from a few sources. Any speculation from you guys on who it might be?
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Oooh I read that too. I'm not sure, but the "someone who is much-loved by many of you fans" implies that it won't be Juliet lol. I'm guessing Hurley. There isn't much in the story arc left for him, no love interests/entanglements to resolve, no family secrets left to reveal.
Lalanae
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

I would murder someone if it was Hurley.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

It won't be Jin. He's already been 'killed' once, so the impact of his death again wouldn't be as powerful as one of the others.
Juliet I could see, only to reinforce the love triangle between Jack, Sawyer, and Kate. Personally, I hope it's not Juliet, because I'm getting real tired of that triangle.
Sayid? Talking about story lines that are wrapped up, his doesn't have the far range of motion that the others do. Ever since he met back up with Nadia, his overriding goal has been accomplished.

My money is on Ben. I don't see him making it all the way, and how would the castaways do without his (albeit manipulative) guidance through season 6? It would be a shame to lose him, though, because he so damn good at evil.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I hope its not Ben! He seems to be the primary driving force of one of the two sides. To get rid of him means introducing another force for that "side" unless one of our existing characters takes over that role...like Locke. I can see that happening. I just don't want it too! I wouldn't say that Ben is "much-loved" but the fact that I'm hoping it won't be him must mean I kinda luv him in some way :P

Kate or Sawyer could be a possibility. We only have 1 more season left after this one and there is nothing that makes a story like this more exciting than having one of the principle characters avenge the death of a "much-loved" principle character and if there was a good romantic story between said principles, even better.

In the end I expect Jack will die at the end of the series in some epicly sacrificial way, thereby moving from reluctant leader to the guy who saves the world. And I'm gonna cry harder than I did at the end of the Quantum Leap series :P Fuckers better not disappoint!
Lalanae
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

Kaldaur wrote: Sayid? Talking about story lines that are wrapped up, his doesn't have the far range of motion that the others do. Ever since he met back up with Nadia, his overriding goal has been accomplished.

I did not think about that. I agree with you 100%. I could certainly see it being Sayid now. But I really hope it is Juliet...I still hate her.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I hope to hell it's kate or jack
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

Rumors I've heard say it's Kate..
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

That would be interesting...I know Lilly has been critical of her role in the press, and it would create oodles of story points for Jack and Sawyer, exactly as Lalanae pointed out. However, if Kate is to die, that would mean she was not the skeleton in the "Adam and Eve" cave they found a long time ago. There were some thoughts that she and Jack/Sawyer would turn out to travel back long ago, thus becoming the skeletons they discovered in the present.
Another possibility is Rose and Bernard, which would fit the idea that those two won't be leaving the island.

Ugh, so many tangents, so many possibilities. I would be in favor of Kate going. Can they swap her out for Charlie? And for that matter, bring back Claire from the dead.
Sheryl
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sheryl »

with juliet and sawyer hooking up it's now a love square instead of a triangle. at this point i don't see them killing off one of those four until they milk some more sexual tension and drama from that setup. besides, kate still has to spill what happened with aaron, i would be shocked if jack died this early (will prob happen later, like lalanae suggested), and juliet will probably be around whenever the pregnant women start dying.

i guess sawyer is a possibility, which would make me sad. i would miss his goofy nicknames. plus he looks good with his shirt off. i agree that hurley or sayid are likely choices. probably hurley, since they say "much loved" and he's the more lovable character of the two.

the egyptian fertility statue totally makes sense. they'll probably destroy it somehow and then BAM, dead pregnant women all over the place.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Sheryl wrote:BAM, dead pregnant women all over the place.
Bam! (That made me laugh.)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

They better not take my Kate from me. I need something to offset all the beefcake, or I'm bound to catch The Gay.
Sheryl wrote:the egyptian fertility statue totally makes sense. they'll probably destroy it somehow and then BAM, dead pregnant women all over the place.
thanks for ruining the whole series for me!

( :p )
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Sylvus wrote:They better not take my Kate from me. I need something to offset all the beefcake, or I'm bound to catch The Gay.
Sheryl wrote:the egyptian fertility statue totally makes sense. they'll probably destroy it somehow and then BAM, dead pregnant women all over the place.
thanks for ruining the whole series for me!

( :p )
Well we know that the statue is already gone since it disappeared when the Losties flashed. And we know that women can still have babies on the island since Amy gets pregnant and has her baby during the Losties time with the DI.

I suspect that the fertility problems are tied to the Purge. Since Ben "killed" his mother during childbirth, it seems fitting that the punishment selected for orchestrating the purge would be something similar. Ben lived his life feeling guilty for "killing" his mother (no thanks to his father) so its possible its related to his guilt in some way.
Lalanae
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

So...
[Show]
Was that Charlotte in the cabin with Sun, Christian and Lapidus...
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I thought I noticed red hair... but it was really too dark to tell for sure.

I thought it was nifty they landed the plane on the runway that sawyer and kate helped build. :)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

nneenaK wrote:So...
[Show]
Was that Charlotte in the cabin with Sun, Christian and Lapidus...
I must have missed that! Was there someone else there?
Lalanae
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Just after Christian shows Sun the picture of the Dharma recruits, you can see a red headed figure sitting down at a desk/table behind her.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Yeah I totally missed that.

Here is a pic from someone on the Losepedia forums in case anyone else missed it
http://i40.tinypic.com/a5jcw2.jpg
Lalanae
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I'd think it was Clarie, but the hair does look kind of red. I don't know how it could be Charlotte, since the only version of her that is alive is back in the 70's with LaFleur and company.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

So I wonder why Sun didn't go back in time with the others? Maybe it has something to do with having a baby conceived on the island, as if that somehow released her from the island's hold.

..and now that we know that young Ben is part of the DI at this point, I'm curious to see how Sawyer, Juliet and the others who have been with the DI for 3 years have interacted with him.

And yeah, it looks like red hair to me in that pic!
Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Easter egg from this episode: http://mp3upload.ca/download/7614/thenumbers.mp3

About 3 seconds in you hear the numbers, but its not clear where its coming from. Different voice than has been used before!
Lalanae
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

Xouqoa wrote:I'd think it was Clarie, but the hair does look kind of red. I don't know how it could be Charlotte, since the only version of her that is alive is back in the 70's with LaFleur and company.
Claire has been seen in her earlier days (car crash with her Mom) with dark hair, streaked with red, if I am remembering this correctly.
Last edited by nneenaK on March 20, 2009, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

After watching that scene again, I'm certain it's Jacob...
Assuming the 'smoke monster' is Jacob.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

The smoke monster was definitely present and can be seen outside the door when they're talking to Christian. One idea is that the smoke monster takes dead bodies and incorporates them into its program, so that is why it shows up as so many lost souls of the island. Eko's brother, Charlotte (a possibility), and Rousseau's team members could all have been smokified when we saw them on screen.
As far as Claire, if it was supposed to be her, it wasn't the actress herself. She wasn't on set for the season 5 shoot. That's why we haven't seen her. It might have been a body double they had stand in for her.
There are many who think that Christian is just another shade of the smoke monster, but I think Christian is like Locke: a fully resurrected and sentient person. The fact that Christian is able to move through time seems to support this, because we don't have any proof that smokie existed in the past yet. Perhaps he comes about during the Incident? Or we just haven't seen him in the 70s.
I expect Sayid to try and kill young Ben. He was looking at him in "Sayid the Interrogator" mode, and I could see Sayid trying to do it so that Ben wouldn't grow up to do the things he'll do. Perhaps this is why the Others knew so much about the group that crashed on the island five seasons ago. Ben remembers this group when they existed during the 1970s, and that's how he is aware of so much of their lives.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Yeah, I've been wondering if maybe this isn't Christian's first time on the island. We're starting to find out that some of the character's parents were part of the island's history and it would not suprise me if Christian were DI or maybe part of the Widmore/Eloise/Alpert group of the 1950's. I'm almost expecting that most of the Losties will find out that they have ties to the island before they even crashed there.

Walt & Miles both have "special powers" that are liked to death (Walt killing birds, Miles talking to the dead). I'm convinced that they both were concieved on the island and that Walt's mom left and duped Michael into thinking Walt was his (damn women!).
Lalanae
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

And that's why he sends Goodwin and Ethan to the two crash sites to "get a list of names"...so he knows if this was the crash he was waiting for or not...assumption of course.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

OH OH OH, speaking of crash sites...

Remember back in Season 3 (I think) when Sawyer & Kate were captured and forced to "build a runway" on the Hydra island? Was that not where the latest crash ocurred (Ajira flight)? Maybe Ben, had it built for the crash that would occur in the future?

I think young Ben was given the heads up on everything that eventually happens and that why he's been so creepily secretive and seemingly all-knowing. He's been trying to keep everything on track or manipulate it just so.
Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Ya know, Hurley has a history of seeing dead folks...

I hope he's not the one who is killed of this season. Just a simple "huh?" from him cracks me up. His character does wondering for breaking tension in a scene and lightening the show up.
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

To support all of them having previous ties to the island, Cheech was gone from Hurley's life for a long time too!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Yeah we never got an explanation about where he went, and the psudo-hippie world of the DI would be quite a place for Cheech! lol
Lalanae
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Lalanae wrote:OH OH OH, speaking of crash sites...

Remember back in Season 3 (I think) when Sawyer & Kate were captured and forced to "build a runway" on the Hydra island? Was that not where the latest crash ocurred (Ajira flight)? Maybe Ben, had it built for the crash that would occur in the future?
Hehe, I called that as soon as the landing strip came into view.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

My latest theory:

"Anubis" = jackal = "Jacob" :shock:
Lalanae
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fuck...

I can't believe he killed him!
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Woo!!!! It's like I said up above, I knew Sayid was going after him. I just can't believe he actually succeeded!
As soon as I saw the preview for the episode, and how it was a Ben/Sayid centric episode, I knew they had to be going this way. So, now we get to see what kind of changes this makes. Will it be like Daniel said, where the past cannot be changed no matter what they try? Or was he wrong, and now events have been altered?
Of course, we're getting into crazy territory with temporal displacement. Since Ben was killed in the past, will all the things he did in the future be erased? If that's the case, then he never messed with Sayid, who would then never have a reason to kill him in the past, so this wouldn't occur.
Temporal loops are crazy, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the show's writers will get themselves out of this jam.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Oh, I don't think Ben is actually dead...
;)
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

One thing is for sure though...I hate Juliette. Seriously. I just want to punch her in the face.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Yeah, I suppose so, miir. It makes me sad though. Think of the possibilities....but then we'd have to give up Ben, and I'm pretty sure he's one of the top 5 TV characters ever. I'd hate to see him go before the end.
Why the hate for Juliet? I think she's great. I'm pretty sure Kate needs to be driven off a cliff.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

while I liked the progression that finally happened at the end, the episodes lately have felt like all filler to me...ever since they got on the plane.

I thought them getting back to the island would accelerate the story, it did not. THere is one big BANG at the end of each week, and that's it...no other revelations, no answered questions, no big deals accept for that one weekly big deal.

I'm feeling strung along with Lost at this point, I'm sure they'll start picking back up eventually...I just hate filler time.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I don't think the episodes have been filler at all. As Lost has always emphasized character, we learned a lot about Sayid in this episode, his early nonchalance when it came to killing, his father relationship (a big theme of Lost), his relationship with adult Ben, how he ended up on the plane. I'm not sure what kind of story "acceleration" you are expecting, but the last few episodes have been paced as much or more as previous seasons. Go back and watch episodes from previous seasons and they weren't all attacks, explosions, and 4 toed statues. Most of them have been about developing character.

I loved the "torture" scene where Sayid spilled the beans but no one believed him and his communication with young Ben was great, seeing Sayid wrestle with confusion ("A 12-year old Ben brought me a chicken salad sandwich. How do you think I'm doing?" lol) and sympathy for Ben.
Lalanae