Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

True Blood

Post by Sylvus »

Anyone else catch this on HBO this week? I'm unfamiliar with the book(s) that it is based on, but I thought it was a pretty interesting take on the whole Vampire genre. Having them be "out of the coffin" and trying to integrate into normal society is a different twist that I'm used to. The fact that humans can get high off their blood is another interesting twist.

I liked the first episode, I'll probably keep tuning in.
[Show]
So did the brother kill that girl he had sex with? If not, who did? I can't imagine that the tape shows him killing her, just his hands around her neck while they're having sex.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: True Blood

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote:Having them be "out of the coffin" and trying to integrate into normal society is a different twist that I'm used to. The fact that humans can get high off their blood is another interesting twist.

This "out of the coffin" thing sounds a lot like the popular (so I hear) Twilight series of books being made into a movie:

http://www.twilightthemovie.com/
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Looks interesting. I saw the preview in front of Entourage.
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Sylvus wrote:Anyone else catch this on HBO this week? I'm unfamiliar with the book(s) that it is based on, but I thought it was a pretty interesting take on the whole Vampire genre. Having them be "out of the coffin" and trying to integrate into normal society is a different twist that I'm used to. The fact that humans can get high off their blood is another interesting twist.

I liked the first episode, I'll probably keep tuning in.
Damn. Time to check the newsgroups. I want to see this.

I'm not sure it's a different twist. Anne Rice and the whole Vampire Role Playing Game have for over decade(s) had the whole "out of the coffin and trying to integrate into normal society" thing out there.

P.S. Don't you have Vampire LARPers up there?? I'll bet they're at the University.
- Ash
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Ashur wrote:Damn. Time to check the newsgroups. I want to see this.

I'm not sure it's a different twist. Anne Rice and the whole Vampire Role Playing Game have for over decade(s) had the whole "out of the coffin and trying to integrate into normal society" thing out there.

P.S. Don't you have Vampire LARPers up there?? I'll bet they're at the University.
Well, perhaps I am misremembering Interview With the Vampire, as it's been 15 years since I read it, but in this case they are like fully out of the coffin. The mainstream media reports on them, synthetic blood that they can survive off of has been developed, and the series starts with a small town in Louisiana getting its first Vampire.

Either way, it was new to me, and it looks to be pretty interesting.

Go Blue!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

You can rent the first episode free at blockbuster
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Cool - I'll go check it out!
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It is probably on OnDemand or whatever equivalent non-Comcast people have. I am almost afraid to watch HBO shows though....when they are great, they get cancelled, aside from low-production cost shows (and Sopranos).
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

After watching the first three episodes, I've got to say that I like this series. Hopefully it will avoid the fate of other good HBO series. Has anyone read any of the novels the series is based upon? I'm thinking about checking them out next time I'm at the bookstore.

So far, this and Sons of Anarchy are the only two new TV series that I'm watching with interest, although SoA would benefit greatly from being on HBO or Showtime.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I like it so far, seems promising. And the deeply bizarre title part is just great at setting the right mood.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Saw the first one. Probably have to torrent the rest.

Sylvus, I misunderstood what you were meant by "out of the coffin", you meant living openly as vampires as in "Hi, I'm your new neighbor and I'm a vampire".

I like it.
- Ash
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Anyone else still watching? Seven episodes into the twelve episode season, and no comments in quite a while. Has everyone lost interest in this one?

I'm pretty fond of it so far, and HBO has picked it up for another season (probably its last with their track record). Like I said last month, this is still only one of the two shows on TV that I'm following, not including news shows, TDS/TCR and Bill Maher. This series prompted Nneena to read the novels that its based on. I haven't read them myself, but it seems like this is branching away from the novels in a few ways. I'm looking forward to Sunday's episode.
Last edited by Xatrei on October 24, 2008, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I'm behind a few episodes. I've seen through epi 4 I think and I really like it. Just haven't had time to d/l the episodes of my shows to catch up. Need to do that tomorrow!
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I really keep trying to watch it, I like vampires and such...but this show usually annoys me more then entertains
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I'm still liking it a lot and I don't ever miss it. There was something in the last episode that made me go "I need to mention that on VV", but I can no longer remember what that was.

Go Blue!
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer
XBL Gamertag: Shashonna

Post by Shashonna »

Was it Sam running naked (i believe they said it was Sam)
[Show]
I want to know what's up with Sam. Rolling around in the bed smelling that dead waitresses sheets? There's something not right. And if it was him naked running through the field, what's up with that??
Shashonna Illumenada
Enchanter Extraordinaire!
Owner of the Snake Stick
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Shashonna wrote:Was it Sam running naked (i believe they said it was Sam)
[Show]
I want to know what's up with Sam. Rolling around in the bed smelling that dead waitresses sheets? There's something not right. And if it was him naked running through the field, what's up with that??
Yeah, it was definitely Sam.
[Show]
He's a werewolf / shapeshifter. Although it hasn't been revealed on the show, it has been hinted at a few times. I'm not sure what's up with him running around naked like that, but I assume it's related to his condition.
By the way, the opening credits and theme song combine for one of the coolest intro / song combination I've seen on TV.
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

Yes, I am really, really enjoying it. However, I wonder how far Ball will stray from the books. I know that he has said that he wants it to be a love story between Sookie and Bill. If he goes that route, I fear that it will take away from the Eric/Sookie story line, which is actually more compelling to me than a Sookie/Bill story.

The books are around 300 pages each and currently 8 total with the 9th due out in May '09. No, they are not the pinnacle of literary greatness, but it is a fun read that did not keep me bored at all.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:
By the way, the opening credits and theme song combine for one of the coolest intro / song combination I've seen on TV.

I haven't watched this show yet but your comment made me think of the opening songs/credits I've liked recently.

Here's True Blood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxINMuOgAu8
well done!

I also liked

Firefly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrAS20mNZUE

I know Firefly gets more than its share of praise on this board but the theme is awesome IMO.

John from Cincinnati:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0hklM6WNDI

"If you're after getting the honey, then you don't go killing all the bees!"
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Xatrei wrote:Yeah, it was definitely Sam.
[Show]
He's a werewolf / shapeshifter. Although it hasn't been revealed on the show, it has been hinted at a few times. I'm not sure what's up with him running around naked like that, but I assume it's related to his condition.
Interesting.
[Show]
Is he the dog then? Something's going on with the dog. The cameras always linger on it, and it's around all the time. At first I had thought it was Bill in dog-form, or like his familiar or something, but now I don't think so as much.

Go Blue!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Sylvus wrote: Interesting.
[Show]
Is he the dog then? Something's going on with the dog. The cameras always linger on it, and it's around all the time. At first I had thought it was Bill in dog-form, or like his familiar or something, but now I don't think so as much.
[Show]
I haven't read the books myself, but from what Nneena has been telling me, he takes on the form of whatever canine he's seen most recently. Both Sam and the dog are shown together a couple of times, so I would think that sometimes it might be Sam in that form, and other times its just the dog. Maybe he has some sort of command over the dog, and it can do Sam's bidding. That's speculation on my part since I've tried to minimize how much of the storyline Nneena spoils for me. Apparently, in the books he keeps a collection of pictures of dogs around so that he can assume different forms. Like I said before, though, the TV storyline does seem to diverge from the books in some ways (sometimes very significant ways), so all of this may play out a little differently in the show.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

True Blood and Dexter are the only two series I watch (at least until 24 is back). I think my favorite character is Lafayette ("The Cheeseburger Deluxe at Merlott's comes with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and AIDS.")
[Show]
Not sure what to make of the Sam is a dog thing. I had him pegged as the murderer a few episodes ago, since the fact that he had a key to the dead girl's room, but now I'm not sure and I'm wondering if it isn't the sheriff or Tara.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I really enjoyed this series! I agree with Ash in that my favorite character is Lafayette. I hope to see more with this, but good start indeed!
en kærlighed småkager
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shashonna »

[Show]
Poor Lafayette
I'm reading the 3rd book atm. Can't wait for season 2
Shashonna Illumenada
Owner of the Snake Stick
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

[Show]
I've heard that they will deviate a bit from the book and keep Lafayette. I hope that is true, because he was awesome. If not, then sorry, he is gone.
Fuck Michigan!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

[Show]
Yeah, Lafayette rocks, i hope they keep him. Havent read the books ye, got them down as audio books, but havent had time for them yet.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shashonna »

I'm on the 3rd book now. I really enjoy them.
[Show]
I'm hoping they keep him as well. I can't remember atm if they actually showed the body in the car at the end of the season or even said who it was, memory is bad atm. I did read somewhere, need find it, that they might try and keep Lafayette on the show. I hope so.
Shashonna Illumenada
Owner of the Snake Stick
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Season 2 is off to a good start, I thought. I liked the ending of this episode.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

[Show]
WTF is up with the lady that took Tara in? I'm curious as to what's "special" about her, and what her interest in Tara is.

Go Blue!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Sylvus wrote:
[Show]
WTF is up with the lady that took Tara in? I'm curious as to what's "special" about her, and what her interest in Tara is.
[Show]
I think she is a shape shifter too, and/or has the ability to absorb other shape shifter's forms or something. That was the only thing I could think of that would cause her to be so interested in Sam. Not sure why she is interested in Tara, or why she punched her butler after offering them a towel.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Xouqoa wrote:
Sylvus wrote:
[Show]
[Show]
I think she is a shape shifter too, and/or has the ability to absorb other shape shifter's forms or something. That was the only thing I could think of that would cause her to be so interested in Sam. Not sure why she is interested in Tara, or why she punched her butler after offering them a towel.
[Show]
I thought she punched the butler because he cock-blocked Tara and that dude from kissing. She obviously wants Tara to hook up with that guy, but I am not sure why...

Go Blue!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Started watching last week. I LOVE the title sequence. Glad to see I'm not alone lol. I always feel a little creepy watching the title sequence every time, when I could very well skip past it like I do most shows.

At times the dialogue/acting is a little too phony & melodramatic for me. I think the Southern-ness is a little overdone, a little too on-the-nose at times, but I love the juxtaposition of the Gothic and the South (anyone remember the short-lived series American Gothic?). Nothing makes monsters look civilized more than white trash Southerners, especially those from Louisiana, lol. So, despite the countless times I cringe at a really bad line or delivery, I still enjoy the show and hope it matures a little over time in these areas. Visually and thematically, I think the show is impressive.

P.S. I'm not completely up to speed, so not reading spoilers yet!
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Nice! I didn't realize this started up again. Will have to backtrack to remember.
en kærlighed småkager
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

[Show]
Mary Ann is a maenad, well she is in the books.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maenad
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

This season has gotten off to a flying start. There are so many story lines as it is, and new ones just keep popping up. And that "bull-man" is just creepy as hell.

Great season so far.
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Yeah, wtf is he about? And what is up with what we saw on the back of that new waitress (is her name Daphne?) when she was about to jump in the water with Sam??

Go Blue!
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

Sylvus wrote:Yeah, wtf is he about? And what is up with what we saw on the back of that new waitress (is her name Daphne?) when she was about to jump in the water with Sam??
I'm going to say she's a werebull (think werewolf) and was probably the one that attacked Sookie.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Mawafu wrote:
Sylvus wrote:Yeah, wtf is he about? And what is up with what we saw on the back of that new waitress (is her name Daphne?) when she was about to jump in the water with Sam??
I'm going to say she's a werebull (think werewolf) and was probably the one that attacked Sookie.
But why would she have those scars on her then?

Go Blue!
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

Sylvus wrote:
Mawafu wrote:
But why would she have those scars on her then?
She was scratched, infected and became one. Sookie probably would have became one too had that healer lady not purged it.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I thought the hilarious old doctor (need to see more of her!) said that the scratches meant that the bullman infected the victim with poison so that he could track them when that person was really weak and then kill/eat/whatever them.
Fuck Michigan!
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

Zamtuk wrote:I thought the hilarious old doctor (need to see more of her!) said that the scratches meant that the bullman infected the victim with poison so that he could track them when that person was really weak and then kill/eat/whatever them.
Was that just to describe the komodo dragon or was she applying it to the bull too?
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I was figuring it pertained to the bull, especially after we saw Daphne at the end. Not sure what kind of evil creature gets its kicks by just scratching backs. Though, this is one of those storylines that I can see taking its time to develop.
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Okay, so...
[Show]
Maryann is the monster with the horns, or related to said monster? Her hands looked very similar to the claws that made the scratches on Sookie (and I'm guessing on Daphne)

Are Sarah and Jason going to bang? Or is she just manipulating him? Or both?

Godric has to be Eric's maker, right? I can't think of any other explanation for why he's so intent on finding him.

Sookie found another mind reader, I wonder how that'll play out.

Go Blue!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

[Show]
Eric mentioned he was his mentor and teacher...not sure about creator or not. I'm fairly certain that Jason will eventually try to bang sarah, get caught, and redneck hilarity will ensue...for that is Jason's part in the show, the goof.

If you watched on HBO on demand, the episode 1 of season 1 with "pop up" Lafayette, they mention her special powers, her not understanding, something along those lines. It goes to say that last night proved that she isn't alone and is part of a group of people with the same powers, just like Sam isn't alone as a shapeshifter. I haven't read the books, so I'm not sure where the books take the reader when it comes to her powers....so whatever for the show, as long as it stays this good.

I'm also assuming daphne is controlled by maryanne, so her role could be just to fuck with Sam...which in itself could be funny too.
Last edited by Kluden on July 13, 2009, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

[Show]
Sylvus wrote:Godric has to be Eric's maker, right? I can't think of any other explanation for why he's so intent on finding him.
You fall asleep at the end or something? hehe I think he was pretty clear when he answered that question in the show. Godric is twice as old as Eric (ie. he's much more powerful). He's concerned/scared shitless/etc... that if some humans could take down a vampire that powerful, then the rest of them are fkd.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Great episode last night. That sure was a sexy ass party they having at Sookie's house while she was away.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

My wife bought season 1 on DVD for 30$. She loves that vampire stuff. She tried to watch the season 2 opener but had no idea wtf was going on.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Great episode lastnight...but the part that was best, were next week's previews, as usual! hehe

[Show]
The eric flashback was nice. I guess it was kind of obvious that Godric was his maker, but I guess it had to be said regardless.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Yeah, I was fine with the build up episode after so many great episodes.
[Show]
I'm still kind of wondering about Maryann and her crew. I wonder where they are goind with this storyline now that they are living (for the time being) at Sookie's house, after they guy came home from Peru to their old house, magically on the day that Tara moves out.
Fuck Michigan!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm not sure what it is, but I wasn't that into last nights episode. It was one of those weeks where the previews looked better to me than the actual episode itself, I guess.

Oh well. There were like 3 really good parts, but of course they left them all as cliff hangers.