Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

[SPOILERS] Dark Knight Review

Post by Sylvus »

-=SPOILER ALERT=- -=SPOILER ALERT=- -=SPOILER ALERT=- -=SPOILER ALERT=- -=SPOILER ALERT=- -=SPOILER ALERT=- -=SPOILER ALERT=- -=SPOILER ALERT=-

Okay, just saw this review of Batman, and I officially hate this critic. I thought I'd share with you guys.
Some douchebag wrote:10 things that bothered me about 'The Dark Knight'

"The Dark Knight" was not a perfect movie. Far from it. In fact, I'm not even sure it was a good movie -- Heath Ledger's pitch-perfect performance notwithstanding.

I saw the film a second time on Saturday, and its flaws were even more apparent the second time around (chiefly, its length -- this 152-minute film could have been brought in at two hours and been fine). But Ledger's performance is so insanely unhinged it forgives many of the film's mistakes -- until you sit down and start trying to apply logic to them, that is.

Here are my gripes with the film, in no particular order. Warning: Spoilers ahead (but, with a record-breaking opening under its Bat-belt, are there people out there who want to see the film who haven't yet?).

1. Christian Bale's menacing bat-whisper. As Bruce Wayne, Christian Bale is smooth, charismatic and debonair. But as Batman, he's a complete stiff. Most offending is the menacing whisper he uses when in the Batsuit. I understand he can't use his normal voice, because then everyone would know he's Bruce Wayne in a big rubber suit. But why does he end up talking like an exaggerated version of Alec Baldwin on "30 Rock?" What villain, police commissioner or elected official would ever take someone using that voice seriously?

2. The quick disposal of the Scarecrow. I haven't seen "Batman Begins" since I first saw it in the theater, and I don't think I ever gave a second thought to the film since the end credits rolled. But I seem to remember Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow being somewhat of a menace to Gotham -- at least enough so that he was the movie's top-billed villain. Why, then, is he disposed of so swiftly in the opening minutes of "The Dark Knight?" He's rounded up in a grandly confusing scene along with a group of Batman impersonators, meaning he's no more swift or villianous than a group of average Joes in hockey pads. Where was the threat?

3. The love triangle. In "The Dark Knight," there's supposed to be some sort of complicated love triangle unspooling between Christian Bale, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Aaron Eckhart's characters. Except that none of them have any chemistry whatsoever, no heat, and the script places very little importance on what is supposed to be one of the key elements of the film. Blame Gyllenhaal's charisma- and spark-free performance, which had us longing for the return of Katie Holmes in the role of Rachel Dawes. Was she really so bad to begin with? (Best Week Ever explores the issue further here.)

4. The clumsy action sequences. "The Dark Knight" is best when it's blowing stuff up, and in the film, warehouses, hospitals, and cars all go boom real good. The other action scenes aren't quite as coherent. Batman's hand-to-hand combat scenes are something of a mess: He's there, punching people, but it's hard to quite make out what's going on on-screen. (The fact that there are almost no lights during these scenes don't exactly help.) Batman flips a massive semi-truck using some batwires, but it's unclear exactly how he flips the truck -- or how he knew that was what was going to happen. Batman appears where necessary when necessary in his Batmobile, but it's unclear how he gets to that parking garage or to that intersection exactly when he needs to be there. Batman shoots sticky bat bombs at windows several times in the film, but it's unclear what those bombs do or how much chaos they cause. Look, I don't expect to understand everything Batman does -- he's Batman, for chrissakes -- but I feel it's the director's job to at least attempt to make sense of some of what's going on, and I feel like Christopher Nolan has a real problem bringing narrative clarity to his action sequences.

5. The guy threatening to expose Batman's identity. A Wayne Enterprises worker bee figures out that Batman and Bruce Wayne are one in the same, and after getting smacked down by Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox for trying to extort Wayne Enterprises for millions, he goes on TV to expose Batman's identity on a "Larry King"-type show hosted by Anthony Michael Hall (which is a whole can of worms I'm not even going to get into). The interview is on TV for several minutes, and the whistle-blower still hasn't given up the goods, and then the Joker ends up interrupting the show before the secret gets out. So... what did they discuss the first few minutes of the show? Was this interview like "American Idol," where they weren't going to get to the good stuff until the final minutes of the show? Why didn't this guy sing like a bird earlier when he had the chance?

6. The casual dismissal of William Ficthner. The great William Fichtner is introduced and killed off in the film's opening scene. Big mistake. Why not make this guy one of the film's stars? He's slick and sleazy enough to fit right into Gotham City's greasy political circles. Hey, make him mayor! Speaking of the mayor...

7. The mayor's obituary. In one scene in the film, the Joker somehow places an obituary for the mayor of Gotham City in the daily newspaper, as a threat. And not some sort of small classified ad, but a full, half-page article, complete with art. Since I work at a newspaper, I know what it takes to get an article in the paper, the amount of meetings editors partake in discussing pages, the layers of editing pages go through before they go to print; it's not like these things just appear. So how did this article get in the paper? Does the Joker have friends at the Gotham Times? Did no editors ever see the pages? Who designed the page? Who copy-edited the obit? And did no one think that if the mayor actually did die, it might warrant slightly more high profile placement than on the obit page? Put it this way: If some crazy makeup wearing villain were to stroll into The Detroit News asking us to place an obit of Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, it would probably raise a few eyebrows, and the story probably wouldn't make it to print. My only guess is there's a deleted scene somewhere of the Joker hanging out in the paper's newsroom, peering over several of the top editors' shoulders and making minor tweaks to the page as deadline fastly approaches.

8. The mayor's guyliner. Dude, I get that Gotham City is the most emo city in the world. But would the mayor really be wearing eyeliner? And how would that creepy ageless guy from "Lost" get elected to public office in the first place?

9. The cell phone sonar technology. In "The Dark Knight," Lucius Fox tricks out his cell phone to become a video phone using some sort of sonar technology, and Batman uses the software to create a program to somehow make it so every cell phone in Gotham City broadcasts a video signal that he can watch through some sort of lenses that cover his eyes in the Batsuit and are fed through a supercomputer in his secret lair. Um, would you mind explaining that one to me again, please? This is up there with the "rubber lips" gotcha from "Batman & Robin."

10. The ultra-serious tone. I get it. The world sucks. But does there have to be such a super-serious tone in a "Batman" movie? Is this a summer blockbuster or a actor-ly fall drama? Is anyone really going to this film looking for moralizing? I'm guessing they probably just want to see the Joker blow stuff up. And we get that -- lots of it. But the unrelenting blue of the film, the dearth, the depression -- it's all a bit much for a "Batman" movie. Is it too much to ask to lighten up a bit, and maybe throw a Prince song in the movie for good measure? Really, folks.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: [SPOILERS] Dark Knight Review

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I really like reading reviews by people who hate great movies. I'm not sure why. I think it's because I can get into the head of a critic better and see what they chose to focus on and how much emphasis they can place on the smallest of things.

Try looking up reviewers who disliked the LotR films sometime for a good idea of how some critics will hate anything, just because they can!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

A writer with the WSJ has this to say about the movie:
Christopher Nolan's latest exploration of the Batman mythology steeps its muddled plot in so much murk that the Joker's maniacal nihilism comes to seem like a recurrent grace note.
I have no fucking clue what that even means.

Here's what he had to say about Heath Ledger's performance.
His portrait of the Joker owes nothing to Jack Nicholson, even though that in itself is hard to imagine. This knife-wielding psychopath isn't jaunty, but hunched and frowzy. His mirthless grin isn't fixed, but the lipstick smear of a crazy street lady. He moves with Peter Lorre's furtiveness, speaks in a bright, crisp voice that seems to channel Jack Lemmon, and licks his scarred chops with a frequency that suggests heavy doses of anti-depressives.
Frowzy?
Is that even a fucking word?

I can't even really tell if it's a positive or negative review.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121632327909562803.html

He gave Mama Mia, Meet Dave and Zohan favorable reviews.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

I loved the Dark Knight, but I think he has some really good points.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I loved the Dark Knight, but I think he has some really good points.
Hehe, you're probably the guy who whined about how fake lightsabers looked in Star Wars.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I think the only thing I can agree with him on is the lack of substance in the love triangle. Bruce at least has a history with her, even though he's a fucking idiot (much like myself) for holding on to it for so long. No chick is worth that shit.

I am surprised he didn't pick up on what I did, which is the Dent party that the joker crashed, had no conclusion... apparently the joker just left peacefully after batman jumped out the window.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

2. The quick disposal of the Scarecrow. I haven't seen "Batman Begins" since I first saw it in the theater, and I don't think I ever gave a second thought to the film since the end credits rolled. But I seem to remember Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow being somewhat of a menace to Gotham -- at least enough so that he was the movie's top-billed villain. Why, then, is he disposed of so swiftly in the opening minutes of "The Dark Knight?" He's rounded up in a grandly confusing scene along with a group of Batman impersonators, meaning he's no more swift or villianous than a group of average Joes in hockey pads. Where was the threat?
This guy needs to get his stories right before he starts a profession as a critic. That guy wasn't the Scarecrow, that guy was one of the vigilantes working with the costumed Batmen to free that hostage.

Seriously, how hard was it to miss that when they were all tied up together bitching that they have every right to defend justice as the real Batman?
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Sargeras wrote:That guy wasn't the Scarecrow, that guy was one of the vigilantes working with the costumed Batmen to free that hostage.
Well, that was Cillian Murphy reprising his role as the Scarecrow.

I would more fault him with his memory of Scarecrow being a major menace to Gotham. All he has is is his fear spray. He is physically weak and all of his evil deeds were done off camera. Scarecrow most defeinaltey was not a "super" villain and would not pose a major threat to this version of Batman.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

The only point I agreed upon was Rachel Dawes. Maggie Gyllenhall was terrible in that role, atrocious. I thought Aaron Eckhart did a great job (when does he not) and Christian Bale did the same, but she was just a lump of stone out there around the other greats. The other points I'd have some contention with.
Miir, that WSJ writer likes the sound of big words and fancy sentence structure. Idiots like that make me want to vomit. If you're going to write a review, talk to me, don't preach to me out of a college textbook.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I just got through watching Batman Begins again and that was definately Scarecrow.
And Scarecrow didn't pose a problem to Batman in that flick either once Bruce knew how to counter that poison. Shit in the end of the movie, it's Rachel that gets rid of him with a fucking tazer.

I want to see The Dark Knight once the DVD comes out to get a more objective opinion. As it stands however, I preferred Batman Begins to TDK.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

That quote discredits everything this guy said in the article. If you can't even point out the main villain of the first movie, how can you be remotely accurate?

There was a lot wrong with this guys review. You can't call Scarecrow the super villain of the first movie since Ra's Al Ghul was the one behind everything (including Scarecrow's ability to use the fear gas). If anything, Scarecrow was just a pawn in the first movie. I thought it was funny to see him in the 2nd movie, well played on Nolan's part.

I saw the movie twice as well, and went looking for mistakes the second time. Granted im no critic, and i did come up with a few gripes, including the non-conclusive Harvey Dent party. Also, i was surprised to see some faulty camera work. Some angles were cut too soon and went to a new camera before the words were finished, leaving no mouth movement to finish out the word on the new angle. ( bad splicing )

I felt disconnected with Rachel from the beginning, since it wasn't Katie Holmes' Rachel. Maggie did an alright job, but Katie was much better for the role.

Ledger was perfect in Joker's role, nuff said.

Lastly, what the fuck is this guy talking about lights in the action scenes for? Once again, reference back to the first movie to see that Bruce was trained in the art of subtlety, which if i recall, means be seen as least as possible. When he knocks out all the lights on the dock in the first movie, i kind of figured he would always only be fighting in a dark setting, like.. could it be.. IT WAS INTENDED?

This critic just made my shit list. What a moron.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

miir wrote: Hehe, you're probably the guy who whined about how fake lightsabers looked in Star Wars.

You could totally tell they were fake, I know a guy with a real one so I know.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

miir wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I loved the Dark Knight, but I think he has some really good points.
Hehe, you're probably the guy who whined about how fake lightsabers looked in Star Wars.
Nope. I rarely ever tear apart a movie. I'm the one who likes a fuckton of movies that others trash. However, after reading this review, I can see what he means when he points those things out. Besides the ultra deep voice I didn't really notice any of these things while watching. I was enjoying the ride.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I just saw it yesterday. I would agree with points 3,5,6 and 7.
3: The love triangle sucked. I also blame it all on the actress.
5: I didn't see the need for this in the film but it did come off as pretty funny later when the Joker put a price on his head.
6: I love this guy. He should have had a bigger role.
7: This isn't really a problem but I sometimes find myself thinking about the logistics of being a bad guy. How do you get things done in such a way as to not be noticed. How do you move a metric shit ton of oil canisters into the hold of two Ferries without being noticed? Where do you buy all those cool clown masks? All of those kind of questions come to mind. I don't know if it is because of being a coordinator in some of my past jobs or not but I could see myself worrying about those details.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote: Also, i was surprised to see some faulty camera work. Some angles were cut too soon and went to a new camera before the words were finished, leaving no mouth movement to finish out the word on the new angle. ( bad splicing )
I noticed that too, bad editing, I figure some of it was due to them trying to shave time off the movie since it was overly long. Maybe a director's cut would fix some of that.

I was entertained, but it wasn't the end all be all I was expecting from reading about it before hand.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I want to be able to read this thread.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Frowzy?
Is that even a fucking word?
Ever hear of a dictionary? Look the darned thing up if you're not sure! Just because people use words you've never heard of doesn't mean they don't exist. That's sorta how we expand our vocabulary and shit. I shall now use frowzy at every opportunity!

Having said that, after having seen the movie, I agree with most of the points brought up in the original article.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

It's unsurprising that someone like Midnyte just so happens to find "some very good points" in what is possibly the most mind numbingly fucking retarded "grinds my gears about batman" specious idiot review on the internet. The word sophistry was invented for this prick.

I finally got round to seeing The Dark Knight tonight. Heath Ledger's performance was sincerely the most exciting element of the film. I think this has to do a little bit with the fact that he's dead. Fact. Sorry! Nevertheless, that unfortunate fact notwithstanding, I do still think his character made the film. It was easily the most interesting and developed ....and truly, and I mean this, definitely in the performative sense, thrilling, funny, multi layered and excellent performance throughout what was one of the most exciting films in recent times.

Ledger deserves the Oscar. No other actor has bothered their ass to make anything anywhere near resembling a character so rich. There is an element of "dead omg" factor, but fuck it, it's still true.

The critic in the OP really reminds me why I rarely listen to critics. It is honestly a case of "those who cant become critics".

Maggie Gylenhall (sp?) was miles better than that robot thats married to Tom Cruise, but was still pretty lame. I didn't really care about her one bit in the film, I felt substantially more empathy towards Harvey Dent. That guy who was in "thank you for smoking" is great anyway - I was happy to see him more than hold his own in a top class major blockbuster. He's funny, a little wry, ironic and charismatic. I actually felt sorry for two face, which presumably was the whole point.

Bale was fine as Batman. In comics, Batman is the focal point, but like virtually every other comic made film in recent memory, the protagonist just ends up looking like an angsty emo fuckwit. That's the unfortunate jump from page to screen, but is imo a valid assertion. Bale didn't angst it up too much, and allowed the character of Batman to provide a backbone to the other assorted characters and plot, rather than forcing himself into everyone's faces in a "OMG LOOK AT ME IM THE MAIN GUY". I respect that. I've liked Bale for a long time, this reinforced it.

On that note, I found the voice funny. The deep voice "Oh my god deep gravelly voice" superhero thats a virtual constant in US films is something of a joke amongst people in the UK, Bale, being from the UK, realises this, and balanced the act just right in an ironic yet serious manner. For this simple element alone, he deserves more respect than critique in regards to The Death Knight. His portrayal of Bruce Wayne was just smarmy enough to be virtually perfect.

Yeah, the whole sonar thing was a bit dodgy, but its a film, who the fuck goes to see Batman to see "realistic"? If you do, you should probably stop going to the cinema because you're a moron.

I found The Dark Knight to be a massively enjoyable action film, easily better than the first. Ledger was a legend. Simple as.

It wasn't a "classic", but certain scenes in it will imo become iconic (Ledger walking out of the burning hospital in a nurses uniform?" - I hope so anyway.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I didn't agree with the masking of his voice which was probably my biggest annoyance in the movie, but it actually got a bit better. One of the opening scenes really sucked compared to the others. I know Nolan was probably just trying to address the issue people always bring up with other characters like Superman/Clark Kent, where people always joke around on how no one can ever see that they are the same person. All he fucking does is put on a pair of glasses and acts goofy. So yeah, I really didn't like the voice masking, it just sounded horrible and I hope it gets removed in future sequels or greatly improved. I'm sure most people rather just "pretend" his voice is different that hear it sound like crap.

1. Agree
2. WTF. Who cares if Scarecrow was in it. Maybe Nolan wanted to do the guy a favor. I thought he was great in Batman Begins. Does it really matter he pops in for like 5 minutes.
3. These are the types of idiots where if Nolan had drawn out the Love Triangle angle, they'd bitch that it was too drawn out and just wanted to see Batman kick some ass.
4. Are you fucking kidding me? Go write to Mythbusters and see if they can recreate it and explain it to you if you really fucking care.
5. Gee, well he's on a news show and in case you live in a fucking cave, they usually draw out the juicy stories to get more commercials in. This is how it's done in the real world btw, they don't just blow their load in the first 30 seconds like this guy obviously does.
6. sigh...
7. omg...
8. Creepy guys get elected to office every day...what's next, is he going to complain about some extra that looks creepy too? It's a fucking small role.
9. It's fucking Batman.
10. I love it, a critic who apparently has not read any comics in the Dark Knight series. WTF, change careers already.

BTW, if you like Aaron Eckhart, I seriously recommend you watch "In the Company of Men". Some really funny/fucked up shit.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Dark Knight - The Interrogation Scene, the truth about Batmans voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I very muched enjoyed this movie. I have no complaints at all, except that I don't want to wait for the next one!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I feel like the leading review is what happens when someone makes a really good movie based on a comic-book superhero containing an iconic role performed perfectly by an iconic actor. The Oscar rumors start based on the performance, and then you get a whole different crowd of people attending what is, at it's core, a comic book movie. Though the Dark Knight is likely the best comic book movie ever made, that ends up not mattering when the 'Academy' crowd gets into the theater.

The reality is that if you're not willing to suspend your disbelief in a movie where a man dresses as a bat YOU are the problem, not the movie.
Last edited by noel on August 4, 2008, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

For the record I didn't have a problem enjoying the movie.

Having said that I still think most of his points are valid. Of course this is coming from someone who has never read any Bat Man. However just because it's based on a comic book doesn't mean they get a free ride. Some people will still have gripes. It just seems that the fanbois get so defensive which is a bit amusin. Not everyone will ike it.. Get a grip!

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

noel wrote:I feel like the leading review is what happens when someone makes a really good movie based on a comic-book superhero containing an iconic role performed perfectly by an iconic actor. The Oscar rumors start based on the performance, and then you get a whole different crowd of people attending what is, at it's core, a comic book movie. Likely the best comic book movie ever made, but that ends up not mattering when that crowd gets into the theater.

The reality is that if you're not willing to suspend your disbelief in a movie where a man dresses as a bat YOU are the problem, not the movie.
My dad, who is the farthest thing from a comics/fantasy fan in the world (I think the only video game he's ever played is Pole Position at a bar) and whose favorite movie is probably Capra's It's a Wonderful Life, came out of The Dark Knight and said it was one of the best movies he's ever seen.

I stand by my assertion that this critic is just an asshole! :p

Go Blue!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Aslanna wrote:For the record I didn't have a problem enjoying the movie.

Having said that I still think most of his points are valid. Of course this is coming from someone who has never read any Bat Man. However just because it's based on a comic book doesn't mean they get a free ride. Some people will still have gripes. It just seems that the fanbois get so defensive which is a bit amusin. Not everyone will ike it.. Get a grip!
I believe you've misunderstood my intentions. I don't feel the need to defend a film I took no part in.

I'm not disagreeing with the gripes or discounting them. I'm saying that the gripes are entirely dependent upon your viewpoint. In the end, all movies are just 'movies', not special little miracles delivered by God himself.

I'll make an effort to get a grip though.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Here are the Grips from The Dark Knight if you want to get them:

Morgan Michael Lewis - Key Grip
Joseph Czerw - Grip
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

My response wasn't directly aimed at you (noel). Which is why I didn't quote it. It's more of a general response based on all the people up in arms over the complaints noted in the original post. It's just a movie people!

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

When is it okay to get up in arms about something?

Wars are fought over religion, and the Bible is "just a book".

Not that I'm trying to compare Batman and the Bible (even though they're both works of fiction; The Dark Knight was just executed better). Something about seeing a couple people reference that it is only a movie struck me as odd.

What makes one thing inherently more deserving of peoples' passion than another? Is that an aporia? Am I getting too heavy for a Monday?

Sorry, I'm quite bored and don't want to be at work right now. :p

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pac Ten vs Big Ten (11) is one thing!
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

It's just a movie people!
Um, this is a movie forum right? Fuck, if we can't discuss, bitch, talk shit about movies here amongst each other, where the fuck can we...

...so the day I was out shopping for a coffee table...
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I just saw it for the second time. The only criticisms that I really agree with from that article are:

3. The love triangle. Although my problem isn't the love trial per se, it's the Rachel character. I thought Katie Holmes sucked in Batman Begins and I think Maggie Gyllenhall sucks in this one. Neither actress made me care about the character or identify with her at all. I think her best scene was her final scene, which is good, because I suppose that's the most important one.

8. Seriously, next time you watch the movie, look for the eyeliner. It's ridiculous. I've never seen Lost, so I can't comment on that aspect of it.

My only criticism that's not in the article is that I wish the Joker would have succeeded in one of his efforts to get an ordinary Gothamian to do something depraved. I think I'm OK with the ferries staying intact, but I wish someone would have successfully offed the M&A lawyer.

Big fan in general though.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Just wanted to say I saw the blu-ray version last week and wow, it looks absolutely incredible. The IMAX scenes are jaw dropping. I heard they may re-release it in February. If so, I'm going to try and catch it on an actual IMAX screen.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Finally saw it. Great movie, loved it. As far as the reviewer, most of his points were pretentious diarrhea, but he did get a few right.

Droopy Gyllenhal was terrible. She has the sexual charisma of a fucking mollusc. Katie Holmes was no great thespian, but at least she was cute. Both were poorly cast.

The rasp. It wasn't so extreme in the first movie, liked it better then.

The cell phone sonar. That was a bit too out there IMO.

As for his other points, well I loved the inclusion of the Scarecrow at the start. That, plus him working out of a temporary lair really helped make it feel like a continuation of the first film. Scarecrow was never the big bad guy of the first film, more of a minor villain. I dig that the villains in this take on the Batman world are more down to earth and realistic, at least as much as can be said for a guy who uses an aerosol gas that makes his burlap mask all maggoty :)

My only real complaints of the film were that A) they killed Two Face off, the makeup was so superb and Eckhart was just great as him, and B) Ledger went and got himself dead. But that 2nd one wasn't really in their control. I GUESS.