Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Runaways

Post by Sartori »

Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Runaways

Post by Ashur »

Might be!

Added advantage of casting teenagers, which often nets some good fresh raw talent.

I'd be curious how this screenplay would play out, would it start before they off their parents and include that? Have them as runaways already with flashback scenes?

The only thing I wouldn't want is that damn invisible frog thing they bounced around in. That was stupid.
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This could be the Breakfast Club of Teenage Casting Movies!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Ashur wrote:Added advantage of casting teenagers, which often nets some good fresh raw ASS.
Fixt.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Lesbian ass at that.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

9.5 years later Runaways didn't make it to the big screen but is on the little screen. The series is on Hulu, not bad so far. Find a way to watch it.

Here's a link to the original series:

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... t=runaways

amazingly the links still work if someone wants to read the comics before the show (of course that gives everything away)
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'd love to see one of these marvel series not be utter garbage. Its really pathetic the two that are on major broadcast, there was no effort in those at all...pure money grab, or attempted. The Gifted and Inhumans are both unwatchable, nonredeemable as quality programming, and should have never been produced in their current states. Blame whomever you want, but they are terrible...just awful.

Now, look at what FX did with Legion, and you know, with the right people, you can make an amazingly good Marvel series for TV. So I hope Hulu pulled it off, just like Netflix has for all of their marvel content. Because the more trash thrown out to our TV's, the less opportunities there will be given for other series.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:I'd love to see one of these marvel series not be utter garbage.
Inhumans might be one of the worst shows of all time ever, not even restricting it to the hero genre. Gifted isn't great but I find it watchable. It has decent special effects etc where Inhumans has K-Mart Special Halloween looking costumes and some of the worst acting ever.

I've been entertained by Runaways so far after three episodes. I'm not sure how it would be perceived by someone that hasn't read the comics. I'd say it would take at least 3 episodes to get a handle on things.

Runaways cast is mostly good.

The actress that plays Molly is doing OK but physically I think she's too big and looks too old. Molly is supposed to be a lot younger than the rest of the kids in Runaways, but while she acts like a kid, she towers over the other girls in size.

Gert (girl with the velociraptor) they pegged well. Quirky humor etc.

Alex is also well cast

Their parents overall are well cast

Karolina (alien girl) has done well in her role as well. I was surprised how far they took the rape scene, which wasn't really that far, but does show while it deals with kids, it's not a kid show.

Nico (asian witch) is ok so far. Has the comic characters traits.

Chase (robo hands guys) has performed well in the show so far.

It's well filmed. The visuals, etc are nice.

So overall, no major complaints. Molly may be miscast (physically) but the actress playing her role is doing ok.
Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Abelard »

Runaways has been moving a little too slowly for my tastes and some of the writing has been too contrived (scene where alien girl realizes she can fly, for instance), BUT I have, overall, been enjoying it. I was a big fan of the comic yearrrs ago and I think that it's a pretty solid adaptation (Actually, I think that's due to you putting it up here on VV back in the day, Winnow). Although, I'm not sure how much story potential the material presents... I think they have enough to get a couple more seasons out of it at least, tho. I do hope that they have a better villain next season.