Captain America: The First Avenger

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger

Post by Zaelath »

Looks awesome, I'll be going as long as I can get into a 2D showing.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Doing a Cpt America and Harry Potter double header next weekend. I'm pretty excited about both. I haven't seen 2 movies back to back at the theater (drive ins don't count!) since I was a kid.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Saw the flick yesterday for free. Symantec was doing a launch event for a new product. 45 minutes powerpoint deck followed by a free screening.

The movie was much better than I expected. Worth seeing. Also, as usual for marvel movies, stay past the credits. This is slightly more than a 15 second teaser.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I loved it and so did my wife. The last act was a little spotty IMO, but the first and second act were so strong it was easy to hang in there. The audience went nuts when the Avengers teaser was shown. This was a really fun movie.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I saw it today. I had to see it in 3D due to time constraints on when the 2D showing was starting. 3D really didn't do much to enhance the movie imho. I like the movie a lot. It was really good but not great and that's ok. I'm really looking forward to the Avengers movie.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Holy fuck was this movie awesome. The plot was not scintillating; it's a comic book, deal with it. The visuals were an amazing blend of modern cinematic aesthetic combined with the framing and style of the best of the Silver Age. Words cannot express how RIGHT they got the look and pace of this film.

They also avoided many of the crutches of current action pictures. They didn't overuse the shaky camera, slow motion was used only for stuff that would have gone by too quickly or truly peak moments. When they wanted to show Cap moving faster than ordinary men, they made him look faster; no slo-mo time-distortion garbage.
[Show]
Fair: would you agree that Weaving's performance lost something when he was behind the rubber mask? The nuanced menace that he brought in the beginning was gone, and while the Red Skull is a personification of hate, I still think that character design could have been done better. Or maybe I never realized how important a nose is... it really ties the whole face together.

Also, I was laughing my ass off at the sheer volume of kitzch Americana they managed to stuff into that musical number.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

[Show]
I actually thought Hugo's prosthetics were fantastic. He was even still able to do the Hugo eyebrow raise in all that! Hugo does have a pretty good facial expressions without makeup though!

They nailed The Red Skull's image, outfit, and makeup out of the park. It's 100% perfect. The uniform he's wearing is amazing.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

[Show]
My thinking was that it was TOO faithful to the comic. But it was impressive. And really EVERY costume design was translated from comic to movie with such care. I can't wait to see the Avengers.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Liked the first half of the movie more than the second half. I thought Caps' origin was very well done.

Everything besides Captain America's origin/transformation didn't capture my attention. There wasn't enough character development for me to care about what was going on except for Cap.
[Show]
They started to develop Bucky and then killed him. What's up with that?
It was cool to see the Howling Commandos with Dum-Dum Dugan in the movie...although Fury is now black and in present modern times!

End of the movie seem kind of rushed. Looking forward to the Avengers movie. Chris Evans earned his role in Captain America.

Joss Whedon
Joss Whedon
Joss Whedon

It's going to be a fun ride with great lines and lots of surprises.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

[Show]
i have nothing to say as i didn't see the movie but i think hidden messages are cool
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Chidoro wrote:
[Show]
i have nothing to say as i didn't see the movie but i think hidden messages are cool
[Show]
I agree
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Winnow wrote:
It was cool to see the Howling Commandos with Dum-Dum Dugan in the movie...although Fury is now black and in present modern times!
Thank God. I thought I was the only one who saw the Howling Commandos in that movie. Granted I think the only one that was obvious was Dugan. I was looking for the cowboy guy with the lasso. I used to have a lot of those comics as a kid.

I think they killed Bucky off because they had to have him in the movie but they couldn't leave loose ends as they went forward. They took artistic license and did what they had to. I think it was alright and fit in the film fine. People who don't know won't care and the people that do know, I think, mostly understand.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I didn't see a body, so as far as I'm concerned a Winter Soldier spin off is a possibility! (only half serious, but ya never know...)