Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Breaking Bad

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

I just recently started watching this show on AMC. Im not much for writing reviews, so i will quote from IMDB. If i could write reviews well, this is what i would say.

This was a comment posted, but i found it very useful.
As the clueless, hapless and hopeless father of four on the celebrated series MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE, Bryan Cranston came into his own, as he did an amazing balancing act that juggled slapstick, pathos and insanity all at once, proving that not only did "father NOT know best", but more than likely never would.

Now he essays the role of another father in the new series BREAKING BAD, but it's a shocking, bracingly refreshing turn that takes his 'Three Stooges' repertoire of grunts, shrieks, barks and neurotic ticks and virtually throws them out the window. Some of those qualities are still there, but unlike MALCOLM, BREAKING is the blackest of black comedies. When I first heard about it, the reviews I read compared it heavily (and favorably) to the Coen Brothers' dark crime comedy FARGO. And the comparisons are aptly warranted.

This is one of those series where the less you know about it going in, the better, but just to set your mind reeling with the possibilities, here it is in a nutshell: Cranston plays high school chemistry teacher Walter White, who is constantly battling the lackadaisical attitudes of his disinterested students, the looming specter of financial disaster - by supplementing his paltry teacher's salary with a second job at a local car wash, and trying to cope with the impending arrival of a new baby, even as he and his wife raise their disabled teenage son, whom unlike many stereotypical portrayals of handicapped kids is no Pollyanna-like angel.

Then in the midst of all this, Walter makes a shocking discovery: he has inoperable lung cancer, and therefore only a few years left to live at best. Facing the very real possibility of leaving his family struggling not only with his death, but a financial situation that could only end in catastrophe, Walter suddenly has a revelation, thanks to an idea handed to him by his boorish brother-in-law, who works with the DEA - he decides to become a crystal meth dealer.

Okay, so while you're letting your brain take that all in, you also need to know that this is one of those defining roles where you just know that the lead actor will get Emmy recognition, whether he intended to or not. That is just how good Cranston is as Walter. In fact, he's every bit as good as Michael C. Hall's Dexter Morgan, James Gandolfini's Tony Soprano or Harold Perrineau's criminally under-appreciated Augustus Hill. And he's backed by an amazing supporting cast of mostly new or unfamiliar faces (with the exception of Dean Norris as the brother-in-law).

You can tell from the word 'go' that writer/producer/director Vince Gilligan (former head writer/exec producer on THE X FILES) has been champing at the bit for a while to let fly with a project like this. And if the first episode is any indication, AMC has another real winner on its hands. So MAD MEN will need to move over and make some room...since BREAKING BAD isn't the kind of series to "ask nicely."

Which brings up another important point: this is not a series for everyone, the way that FARGO and Showtime's kindred-spirit drug dramedy WEEDS are not mainstream, either. This is sharp, biting, satirical social commentary that draws blood when it sinks its teeth in, and you are guaranteed to wince even as you laugh out loud at Cranston's dead-on portrayal of a MAN on the edge of a nervous breakdown (well, more like over the edge.)

A caveat for would-be viewers, though, and a very ironic one at that: AMC has applied its ham-fisted method of editing its movies to this series as well, unfortunately, making the channel the LAST place you want to see it. The best thing to do is to check out the premiere episode whenever you can catch a rerun on AMC, then hustle on over to iTunes and download it so you can watch it again. Some very important scenes and some impressive establishing shots have been "edited for time and content" from the broadcast version, and this is material that IS essential to your experience viewing this show. There is a lot more to the characters and situations than you will be allowed to see on basic cable. So as you watch, keep that in mind.

And after you are done marveling at this magnificent character study sketched in desperation, you can wonder as I did, whether Bryan Cranston will bother preparing a speech for next year's Emmys. I sure hope he does...thanks to his work on BREAKING BAD, he'll need it.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

This is a great show, been watching it from the start.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Wiever
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wiever »

I loved this series, just wish it was longer. Hoping it gets picked up for another season.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I thought it floundered a bit in episodes 3-5 but it seemed to pick up with episode 6. I hadn't seen the last episode yet but overall it was a decent show. I'm not really sure I would really classify it as 'black comedy' either. That element was definitely there the first couple episodes but it seems to have faded with each following episode.

I'd definitely give it a watch if it came back for another season.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Was wandering around the web and saw that Season 2 of Breaking Bad starts this Sunday. Was actually surprised it came back as I hadn't heard anything about it after the last season ended.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Humorous minisode . I hope the second season brings back a bit more of the black comedy element to the show.

--
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Season 2 is not failing to keep me hooked. This show is incredible. I find myself thinking "Oh Shit" a lot when watching, which is rare for me. If you haven't been watching, and you are a fan of Dexter, this show needs to be on your must watch list.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Watched the first two episodes of season one and thought they were pretty good.

The episode seem self contained so far which makes for easy viewing with gaps in between times you can watch them.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

This is my favorite show on TV. I watched all of season 1 this week after seeing a couple episodes of season 2. Though the first season was amazing this season seems even better.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Decent show. Not one of my favorites since it doesn't balance its bleakness with enough humor (ex. Weeds, Rescue Me) or character appeal (ex. Dexter), but its well-written & well cast.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I thought it floundered a bit in episodes 3-5 but it seemed to pick up with episode 6.
I agree with the show slowing down a little too much in episodes 3-5 but it was good enough for me to keep watching. I finished off season 1 tonight and am impressed with the show's ability to keep things interesting. There's not a lot of humor but the stuff that is in there makes me laugh. The interaction between the partners makes for great entertainment.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Just saw the latest episode(#12) of Season 2. Walt has really sunken low. Can't believe what he did at the end there. Unforgivable really.

I do feel like the show has gotten more and more grim while slowly losing some of the dark humor that made it so great in the first place.

Bob Odenkirk has been great this season for some comedic relief, but the last couple episodes have been total downers. Still, as a drama it's better than 99% of anything else on TV. Per season the comedy and drama seem to have a good balance, but per episode it seems uneven.

Still, one of the best shows on TV right now.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Yeah, I am pretty suprised that Walt didn't do anything to help her. I don't mind some darkness to a show, but jeez, that was pretty harsh.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

I had to assume something along those lines would happen, but damn was i shocked at seeing that.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Finally caught up on Season 2. Not much to say except: Yikes!
On April 1, 2009, four episodes into Breaking Bad's second season, it was announced that AMC had renewed the show for a third season. The number of episodes in the season was not announced.

--
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

This is definitely one of the best TV dramas ever created.

I do feel like they have made the two main characters less and less attractive as the show has gone on. The chemistry between Walt and Jesse has always been entertaining, but it used to be darkly humorous. Now both characters have become either pathetic and/or abhorrent. I love Odenkirk's character, but I hope they go back and lift our two protagonists out of utter darkness and despair.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I was a bit let down as far as 'season finales' go.

Oh well I really hope they improve on the pacing of this show for the next season.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looking back at this thread, I can't believe how long it took me to finish this series. I did it in spurts. Watched the final three episodes today.

Excellent show. It lost a lot of the humor during the final view shows but the acting was top notch.

Saul was a great addition.

Looking forward to Season 3 although I wonder where it's going now that Walter is on his own and Jesse probably will be straight. Just curious what the motivations will be. Is Walt going to end up being a hard ass, hating life? How much interaction will there be with his brother in law if he's split up?

I see Season 3 starting off with a bang. We know that the Pollo Owner (Gus) is very cautious and I'm sure he doesn't like it that Heisenburg's brother-in-law is a DEA agent.

This show ranks up there with the Deadwood's and Rome's. I hope they can squeeze another quality Season out of it without it slipping too much. We all worried about Californication Season Two and it turned out OK!

Here's a sneak peak (no spoilers) at Season 3!

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEMNJPNVhQQARQ
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

great ad for Breaking Bad Season 3 (if doesn't red X) right by Obama in Times Square

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Breaking Bad Season Three starts March 31st!

6 Minute recap of first two seasons:

http://www.amctv.com/videos/breaking-ba ... 6867723001
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Season 3 premieres this Sunday!! Get ready for some quality television!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Season three is off to a quality but slow start. They need to mix in a little more dark humor as is was pretty much all downer the first episode.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Season 3 is definitely the best so far. While the beginning of the season (and some moments throughout) may have been a bit slow the pace has mostly improved. I thought last week would have made a good season ender so it will be interesting to see what happens tonight. I can see why some people might not like it though since it can be hard to watch at times.
Run.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I just watched all three seasons of this show, I like it a lot, pacing was never a issue for me nor was anything else. I'm actually kind of surprised to hear complaints like that.

Season 4 is scheduled to start in June or July I believe.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Season 4 starts this Sunday
Why Breaking Bad is the best drama on TV
AMC's award-winning show about a chemistry-teacher-turned-drug-kingpin returns Sunday night.
Here are 5 persuasive reasons to tune in

AMC's beloved drama Breaking Bad returns for a fourth season Sunday night, after a 13-month hiatus. The intense series about a chemistry teacher who, after being diagnosed with cancer, begins producing and dealing meth to provide for his family has steadily grown in popularity and quality over its three seasons. Now that the fourth is here, critics are again heaping praise on the "still brilliant" show. Here, five reasons to watch:

1. The award-winning acting
Bryan Cranston won the Best Actor Emmy in each of the first three seasons of Breaking Bad. As teacher-turned-drug-pusher Walt, Cranston effortlessly flips from coldblooded ruthlessness to paternal concern. To say that Cranston is deft at tapping into emotional extremes "is putting it mildly," says Ellen Gray at The Philadelphia Inquirer. Add fellow Emmy-winner Aaron Paul's "searing" performance as Walt's young sidekick Jesse, says James Poniewozik at TIME, and Anna Gunn as Walt's conflicted wife, and you've got an impressive ensemble.

2. The "brilliant" twists
By inserting two novices into the dangerous New Mexico drug trade with harrowing consequences, Breaking Bad has yielded twists that "give it its storytelling momentum," says Ken Tucker at Entertainment Weekly. These aren't "mere WTF" plot surprises either. Each serves to "reveal more about the fundamental nature of these characters."

3. The characters' complexity
When the series began, Walt was "altruistic" and "timid," says Tucker. His decision to build a meth lab was fueled by his need to provide for his family — a noble, "if morally compromised" move. Now, an "emboldened" Walt is fully ensconced in the operation, a "tough hombre" who borders on villainy. His wife is in on the secret, adding a tinge of darkness to her character as well.

4. The ethical dilemmas
As these characters' moral compasses have shifted, the viewer's urge to empathize with them has become more conflicted, too. "Breaking Bad is as wrenching and morally complex as any show on television," says Richard B. Woodward at The Huffington Post. Remember, Walt is a criminal. He has killed. Yet audiences still root for him, making us, "at some level, accomplices." It's the constant questioning of good versus evil — and how Walt and the other characters fit into that dichotomy — that is Breaking Bad's "philosophical long game," says Poniewozik, and what makes Breaking Bad TV's "reigning best drama."

5. The bold storytelling
Breaking Bad handles unfolds with "full-blown, marvelous audacity," says Alan Sepinwall at HitFix. One of the most built-up, "seismic" moments on the series occurred when Walt confessed his secret to his wife. The series, however, played it off as a light-hearted joke — a brilliant, unexpected approach. One entire episode was devoted to Walt and Jesse trying to catch a fly that invaded their lab, and "it was as riveting and moving an hour of television as aired anywhere that year."

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Episode 1 and 5 so far this season were excellent, 2-4 dragged ass for me. I think you could have told the story in them in 1 episode...

Still a top show.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I think I've only watched the first 2-3 episodes of this season so far an yeah.. I thought it was pretty slow. I'll probably just wait for the season to finish airing and watch them all at once.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I'm all caught up thru S04E05. Took a bit of getting used to, but this easily makes the top 10 of excellent post-"network" shows. As deplorable as the protagonists are at most times, they really work. The show really works.

Big fan of Mike the cleaner!
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Season Finale: Brilliant.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

[Show]
So Walt has officially crossed the line from anti-hero to villain, yes? I mean, after he let Jane die a season or two ago and poisoned Brock, that's a line you can't come back from can you?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Sylvus wrote:
[Show]
So Walt has officially crossed the line from anti-hero to villain, yes? I mean, after he let Jane die a season or two ago and poisoned Brock, that's a line you can't come back from can you?
[Show]
I would say so, yes. Brilliant manipulation work, and using a non-lethal way to do it. I did NOT see that one coming that he did it :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
[Show]

Finally finished this today.
[Show]
I don't think so, necessarily. I mean, with his chemistry knowledge he had to think there was a good chance of the doctors saving him, and he did it because it was the only way for Jessie to get on board with him. A good thing to do? Hell no. But he didn't try to kill a kid for the hell of it. Either way, awesome fucking finale.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

The way they tiptoe that line with the character of Walt White is what makes this show work for me. Fucking brilliant writing and character development. I often find myself contemplating his choices, thinking about what I'd do in his place, and, while I'm not sure I'd make the same specific choices, they're never more than a stone's throw away.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Just finished season two and my wife and I are absolutely stunned by the awesomeness of this show.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

miir wrote:Just finished season two and my wife and I are absolutely stunned by the awesomeness of this show.
I'm jealous that you still get to experience seasons 3 and 4 for the first time. Prepare to have your socks knocked on their asses.

Best show since The Wire.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

This new season started off real well. Demonoid went down (due to a ddos attack) and now I can't get last Sunday's episode. :(
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:This new season started off real well. Demonoid went down (due to a ddos attack) and now I can't get last Sunday's episode. :(
I still find eztv.it way better than a general torrent site...

It's a bit filthy with Olympics crap at the moment, but yeah, overall..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Try Your Hand At Meth-Making In Cooking Mama: Breaking Bad

The latest riff on Breaking Bad comes from Juan David Gómez, who has made this Breaking Bad-themed riff on Cooking Mama in which you'll smash up sudafed, combine various chemicals, and cook at the proper temperature to get a good batch of sweet blue crystal.

Not featured in the game: Betrayal, chemotherapy, shattered families, axe murder, "Franch," excruciating physical therapy, airplane crashes, vomit-induced death, poison cigarettes, roombas or the word "bitch."
Play it here:

http://flavourmachine.com/breaking/
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not really happy with how they are stretching the last season out. I doubt I will watch it until next year after they've all aired.
On August 14, 2011, AMC announced that Breaking Bad was renewed for a fifth and final season consisting of 16 episodes. The season will be split into two parts, each consisting of 8 episodes. The first half premiered on July 15, 2012, with the second half premiering in summer 2013

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Next summer?? That is just lazy.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well AMC only has a few good shows so.. I guess they have to keep ad rates high somehow.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Well if they wouldn't blow all their money on Mad Men they could do better!
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Just finished watching season 4... I'm speechless.
Breaking Bad now tops Lost as the best TV I've ever watched.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

miir wrote:Just finished watching season 4... I'm speechless.
Breaking Bad now tops Lost as the best TV I've ever watched.
Hehe, you mean you didnt see that twist coming?
I don't think anyone did....I just love how that show just keep draggging everyone lower through the mud.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I loved the end of season 4. It was legen... wait for it!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

DARY. Legendary!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The demise of Gustavo Fring was simply perfect.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I stood up and cheered.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Umm, did anyone else watch last night's episode?

Holy. Fucking. Shit.
[Show]
Shut the fuck up Walter, and let me die in peace.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

must.....resist..... urge... to.... click....