Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Wal Mart sale bin!

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I always seem to find some decent dvds in the walmart sale bin. This week was no exception. I figured I would list them with a mini review on why I chose these titles out of the 100+ that are buried in those special bins. All these movies were 5$ each and in widescreen format.

Suspect Zero - I bought this because I almost bought it when it was released. It's kind of a sweet deal when I wait and later see the movie for 5$ instead of paying 3x that on release. My wife like these types of thrillers, so I got it mostly for her.

Legends of the Fall - I've almost picked this up more times than I can count. It's a pretty heavy movie, so I have to be in the mood to watch it (and apparently buy it).

Bram Stoker's Dracula - I can watch this movie anytime, even watching the last 1/2 if that's when I stumble upon it on TV. I took a girl to see this in the theater back in the day, so it also has that weird memory attached to it. Anyway, totally worth 5$.

The Thin Red Line - This came out after Saving Private Ryan and it pissed off everyone that saw it because they were expecting another ultra realistic WW2 movie. I've always considered this the spiritual yin to the realistic yang that is Saving Private Ryan. It trancends the vast majority of war movies and becomes something else entirely. I can't think of another american war movie quite like it. It's slow. There aren't a lot of things gettig blown up, so I totally understand why mainstream america didn't dig it. Beautiful movie though.

The Running Man SE - The govenator in a violent future game show with special appearance by The Body? Fuck yeah. If you pass this up for 5$, you sir, are unamerican. Special props for it being the SE with loads of extras and a very nice transfer.

Big Trouble in Little China - All aboard the porkchop express! This movie is a guilty pleasure. It's up there with Goonies for one of my most favorite 80's movies. Little known fact: Remember a movie called "The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai"? This was supposed to be the sequel. Things didn't work out for the original, so the script was retuned and it was turned into an original feature. I don't even know how the fuck I know that, but I do.

The Mexican- I liked this movie a lot and have been looking for it at Best Buys and such for a solid year. Yeah, I know I could just order it, but the hunt is some of the most fun for me. I looked for "Searching for Bobbie Fischer" for almost a year, and my white whale was easily "The City of Lost Children", which I picked up early this year. I hunted for that for almost 4 years. Anyway, The Mexican has been on my most hunted list for about the past year, but no one has it around here. This was buried at the bottom of the sale bin, and I was thrilled to find it for 5$. It's a weird flick, but Brad Pitt pulls off his role so well that the whole movie works.

They also had a Dogma and A.I., but unfortunately they were only in full screen :( Still, 35$ for 7 movies is a great deal no matter how you cut it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Wal Mart sale bin!

Post by Canelek »

Some nice finds there! Best Buy used to have sweet deals on Superbit versions, which were DTS remastered DVDs with no extras...good stuff, imo. They also had bins, but they seemed to move away from the good deal area in past years--at least where I live.
en kærlighed småkager
Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Abelard »

Those are pretty sweet finds. Too bad you couldn't get Dogma though. That movie is tons of fun.
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Big Trouble in Little China - All aboard the porkchop express! This movie is a guilty pleasure. It's up there with Goonies for one of my most favorite 80's movies. Little known fact: Remember a movie called "The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai"? This was supposed to be the sequel. Things didn't work out for the original, so the script was retuned and it was turned into an original feature. I don't even know how the fuck I know that, but I do.
The woman that played Miao Yin, Suzee Pai, was the woman I was most in lust with during most of the 80's. I still have the issue of Penthouse she was in. Click the spoiler to see the cover. (Worst part is the "Penthouse" name.)
[Show]
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.