Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

The Office (Season 4)

Post by Leonaerd »

Omggggg it's better than ever.
[Show]
Will Jan get even worse? What's going to come in between Jim and Pam? How is Ryan going to perform as villain? Why'd they make Creed so creepy when he was the coolest character in season 2? What's going to be Andy's story arc? I want to see them drop Stanley and put in some hotshot and have Jim ride that hard line between supporting Michael and supporting Ryan (who's clearly futureproof). Is Ryan going to get jealous and start shit with Jim?
What so fucking sweet about this show is how trustable the writers are. Friends (the show) would always have entire episodes devoted to one, maybe two ideas. It would become boring because it's all that your interest could be invested in. But The Office has a million different small and big things happening at once. In no other show can you interpret someone's facial expression and have it mean so much.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: The Office (Season 4)

Post by Sylvus »

What do you mean by
[Show]
Ryan (who's clearly futureproof)
?

I do know that
[Show]
The guy who plays Ryan is both a producer and writer on the show, so if that's what you mean, I agree. If that's not what you mean, I don't see him going anywhere.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

What do you mean by (...)
[Show]
Ryan's the future of the company. He's going to get rid of all the old people (including Michael) until something / someone intervenes. What will it be?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Obviously...gift baskets.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Lol.
[Show]
The conversation between Dwight and Michael as he's driving into the water is hilarious.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

this is an image spoiler from a future episode (Oct 24)... nothing that will ruin it for you, just funny. Leaving it in spoiler tags because I know people IRL who refuse to read episode descriptions, going in with a clean slate.
[Show]
Last edited by Mr Bacon on October 11, 2007, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Wait, I didn't know that was Winnow!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Wait, I didn't know that was Winnow!
I would never have a pencil sharpener on my desk!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1780966/
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Season two, the Booze Cruise episode, they talk about this in the deleted scenes. We actually get to see him play a song during the cruise too. It's pretty awesome. Just another reason The Office is the best show on TV.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm late to the party on this one, but over the past two days I watched season one of The Office. (six episodes) I avoided it because I thought it was a knock off of Office Space and wouldn't be any good.

Liking it so far. Just the names of the episodes, besides the first one, should bring back some good memories.

1. Pilot - so so
2. Diversity Day
3. Health Care
4. The Alliance
5. Basketball
6. Hot Girl

Pam is a great "cute" chick. She ranks right up there with "band girl" for having that "something" that works for me.

Downloading season two right now. My only comment would be that Michaels comments are sometimes over the top, beyond subtle, but that's part of the show I guess. I think they could get away with making him a little less obviously insensitive and have it still be funny.

I find myself laughing the most when Jim and Pam screw with Dwight.

If I make it through the 40+ more episodes, I'll check out the British version!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Ooooh a convert!! Season one is the worst of the three, though watching Michael shoot a basketball is downright hilarious. Make sure you get the deleted scenes somehow.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Season 4.. Not really all that impressive thus far. I'm not sure if it's the fault of the hour long (40 min) episodes or what but the first four, while each having their moments, were fairly disappointing.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:Season 4.. Not really all that impressive thus far. I'm not sure if it's the fault of the hour long (40 min) episodes or what but the first four, while each having their moments, were fairly disappointing.
I feel the same way.
A lot of the humor seems rather mean spirited.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

If I have to hear mean spirited one more time! ;)

I've enjoyed them. The first one was a bit shakey, but I'm starting to get used to the new pam/jim dynamic. I've actually sympathized and enjoyed the Angela character a lot more this year, even tho she's still Angela. I really don't see how it's more mean spirited this season. If anything I think that characters are showing a lot more empathy between each other that didn't used to exist. Maybe you mean that problems are more human this season, instead of fairly frivolous like in the past seasons -- I don't say that with any contempt, just trying to figure out how you think it's mean spirited.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Also interesting, in an entirely funnier way, is the original version of the Office, which is a pretty much totally different style of show from the American version.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yes. We all realize that the UK version was the best show evah so you really don't need to mention it in every thread about the US version! However being Americans we're used to settling for mediocre second best.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fuck NBC for pulling the same old shit they pulled last year moving the show around to different fucking timeslots.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What a great show.

I'm 3 episodes into season three. I'm liking Michael's character a lot more after he screwed with Dwight for trying to take the branch from him.

One thing I noticed. In Season 3, in episode 2 (Movie Monday), Pam says Michael made them watch an episode of Entourage six times. At the end of s3e02, Michael says, "lets hug it out bitch" to Dwight. (which I first heard in Entourage from Ary). Does anyone know the connection between the shows? Does NBC own HBO?

It took a season in a half to get used to Michael but now he cracks me up. The first episode of Season 3 about Oscar's coming out was hilarious.

I find watching entire seasons in the span of a week or so to be much better than watching them on DVR or live. (no commercials of course is a given benefit which probably helps the most in shows like H E R O E S.

Anyways, I also grabbed the Blooper reel and cut scenes from the four DVDs of season 3 which I'll watch after I get through the real shows. The Bloopers and Cut Scenes look to be around three hours worth of footage.

Jim is still the best. His office getting all serious about playing Call of Duty is good stuff.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

"What are you doing?"

"I'm shooting Germans."

"We ARE the Germans!"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This show is my new EQ in that it is causing lack of sleep. Having all the episodes on my hard drive makes it all too easy to "accidentally" click the next episode and keep watching.

The character development around Season 3, episode 14-15-ish, hasn't gotten old at all. Maybe another week and I'll be caught up!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The character development around Season 3, episode 14-15-ish, hasn't gotten old at all.
Then you should enjoy catching up.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ack, they better get this resolved before I catch up!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34700
“The Office” showrunner Greg Daniels is picketing his own Van Nuys set. Cast members – including Rainn Wilson, Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski as well as WGA members Steve Carell, B.J. Novak, Mindy Kaling and Paul Leiberstein – are not crossing the picket line.

Losing its cast shuts down NBC’s highest-rated sitcom a lot faster than a lot of other series, which are trying to put into production the last few scripts written before the strike.

An excerpt from a TVWeek story on the matter:
“We have non-writing producers on the show who are perfectly capable of doing any non-writing producing duties,” Mr. Daniels said. “They want me do to writing-producing and just pretend it’s producing. Every decision you make has a writing aspect to it. If they really just thought it was producing, they could just as easily get somebody else to do these tasks.”
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

noooooooooooooooooo
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b6hqP0c0_gw

The Office writers on the picket line. Who knew Cousin Moes was such a chatty fellow!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm all caught up! I'll watch the deleted scenes next.

Season 4 is a slight step down from the previous three imo. The Office has a lot going for it still but with Pam and Jim together, those characters seem a little flat this season.

I saw part of next week's preview that has Jan involved with the company again in some way (lawsuit?) That might make things interesting again.

With Pam and Jim together, the only major bizarre love triangle is between Angela, Dwight and Andy. The single show stuff is still funny but you also need to keep up some plotlines that extend beyond a single show. I kept watching shows past my bedtime because I wanted to see what would happen next for the first three seasons. With Season 4, that particular attraction to the show has faded a bit. I think the writers can come up with something new to span a full season. At least I hope so.