Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Arrested Development

Post by Dregor Thule »

Finally caught up on this show, all I can say is fantastic. I die laughing throughout every episode. I'm just sad I've caught up and have to wait for the new episodes. Did a search for threads on this show and only one talking about it being cancelled (thankfully it wasn't!) so started this one up. Season 3 continues on the 31st I believe, yay!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The show is pretty darn funny. There's something about giving a show a "real life" appearance that allows its obviously nonsensical humor the chance to make me guffaw.
I'd hate Hillary just as much if it was a woman. ┌┘ Winnow
you pretentious fuckwits ┌┘ Nick
:roll: ┌┘ Miir
thoroughly groped┌┘ Xyun
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

It's the funniest show on network TV.

Unfortunately I have heard that unless there is a big change in its ratings, Fox isn't planning on picking it up again next year. I have no sources to quote on that, so I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard. I'm sure its Monday night timeslot isn't helping it that much.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I love this show, but we usually just watch it on DVD rather than trying to catch it when it airs. Too bad there's no On Demand channels for network stations.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Oh no :(
The Bluth clan of Fox's ratings-challenged "Arrested Development" is also headed for the exit after Fox cut the third-season order on the Emmy-winning comedy to 13 episodes.
Once more, I hate Fox. I also hate the American viewing audience. Most of you don't know good television unless Ronald McDonald beats you in the face with a can of Coke while Paris Hilton screams in your ear that a show is "hot".

Here's to hoping a cable channel picks it up. Would work great on HBO.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

miir and I are best friends. <3
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Damn it. Now Comedy Central or some other station will pick it up and Fox will realize they fucked up in 2 or 3 years. It'll be Family Guy all over again.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Vetiria wrote:Damn it. Now Comedy Central or some other station will pick it up and Fox will realize they fucked up in 2 or 3 years. It'll be Family Guy all over again.
Doubt it will be picked up by anyone, and while Comedy Central definitely has more than enough time slots for it, they really prefer animation over live sitcoms.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

doubt anyone will except another network like upn =(
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

I meant in re-runs.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

It doesnt really appeal to me. Just dont find it funny for the most part. Mind you, I thought Family Guy was pretty lame too, and didnt watch it after a couple of episodes, but I watched some after it restarted and its growing on me now, so who knows?...

*Hugs*
Varia
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Here's an article that says exactly what I feel on the subject of AD and it's cancellation:
Middle America's Development Is Arrested / Reviewed by Seth Freilich

In years past, I’ve often told people that I thought “Arrested Development” was the best sitcom on network television. I had to make the “network” qualification because of “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” which was simply the funniest show on the tube (shut your face, HBO — if I watch it on my TV, it’s TV). This season, however, “Curb” has been lacking. It’s still funny, but not the brilliant funny it’s been in seasons past.

Which means that right now, “Arrested Development” is simply the best comedy on television, period. No qualifications.

Strike that. There is a qualification. Because last Thursday, it came out that Fox was cutting their season order down to a mere 13 episodes, and would not be picking up the back nine. When I heard this, I wept like a fat chick stuck home on prom night with only two Krispy Kreme donuts left to keep me company. And then on Friday, someone stole one of my donuts — word came out that the show’s run was more-or-less officially kaput. I wanted to go on a homicidal spree, unleashing the Furies on every Fox executive I could find, with a special gutting and flaying reserved for Rupert Murdoch and his old man balls.

But, after pounding back a fifth of vodka (to numb the pain), kicking a puppy (to vent my frustration) and watching The Terror of Tiny Town (because midgets are always funny), I got to thinking. Unlike many other things in this country, the cancellation of “Arrested Development” isn’t actually something we can entirely blame on Fox. After all, they gave this show two and a half years to develop a ratings foothold; it simply never managed to catch on. Now, Fox certainly could have done a much better job marketing the show, but the fact remains, aside from critics and a handful of smart folks, people just weren’t into this show.

Well, to quote George Carlin from his recent HBO special, “people are fucking dumb!”

In fact, Carlin pretty much summed up all of my thoughts on this matter by noting that “this country is full of nitwits and assholes ... nitwits, assholes, fuckups, scumbags, jerkoffs and dipshits.” Now, just as Carlin made a qualification for the audience at his show, I am willing to make a similar qualification here. The Pajiba readers tend to be relatively smart (although not all of them — take a look at the comments if you don’t believe me) and discerning, and the comments I’ve previously received suggest that many of you recognize that brilliance that is/was “Arrested Development.” So I’m not talking about you, “but the rest of them, holy jumping fucking shitballs. Dumber than a second coat of paint.”

I haven’t seen any sort of geographical dispersal of where in this country “Arrested Development” is most watched, but I’d bet that last Krispy Kreme donut of mine that both coasts would light up like Christmas trees on that map, with a relatively dark void covering the rest of the country. Now, I blame a lot of things on the middle of this nation of ours. The current piss-poor political climate of this country. The rising trend to deem “Intelligent Design” a science. The popularity of country music. But none of these make me truly despise the Middle as much as this latest turn of events.

See, the thing about “Arrested Development” is that there’s no laugh track to tell the monkeys what’s funny. You know what monkeys are, right Middle America? They’re those things that humans evolved from (fact!). The show rewards careful and repeat viewers with running gags (like little blue handprints that would periodically show up on set pieces last season) and hilarious payoffs after multi-episode buildups (like the most recent episode which not only revealed that Charlize Theron’s character was a Mentally Retarded Female, putting all of her previous episodes in a whole new light, but which also let us know what had become of Annyong). In a nutshell, it assumes its viewers have the capability for smart, independent thought.

And that, of course, was its downfall from day one. Most of this country is not capable of smart or independent thought. So there’s only one solution: The Middle needs to be wiped out. Let’s just pull the two coasts together, and create a fantastic skinny country, with only hours separating New York from Los Angeles. Chicago can be spared and pulled onto the East Coast, and of course Vegas stays and gets added to the West Coast. But all the rest of it? Worthless flyovers that we don’t need. Maybe then, “Arrested Development” will get the ratings it needs, since it would have the same number of viewers but the per capita would go way the fuck up. Plus, I’d always be a stone’s throw from Vegas, and that’s never a bad thing.

(Publisher’s Note: One half of the Pajiba staff and its parent company hail from the middle of the country but would be willing to sacrifice ourselves for one more season of “Arrested.”)

Now I will note that all hope is not entirely lost. My understanding is that Fox has not officially cancelled the show and that there is a snowball’s chance in hell that it could get renewed again next spring. But this seems unlikely, particularly as Fox has apparently told the show’s producers that they are free to shop it around. And on that front, there is also a thin rumor running around that Showtime might be interested. Showtime would be a great fit for “Arrested Development.” The show’s survival would no longer be as closely tied to ratings and it would pair up excellently with the very funny “Weeds.” In fact, that would be a blockbuster hour of comedy that would even trump HBO (as much as I love Larry David and looooove Ricky Gervais, a “Weeds”/“Arrested Development” hour would kill HBO’s current “Curb”/“Extras” hour). So there is some hope for the future of the show, but let’s just say that the future ain’t so bright that you’ve got to wear shades.

Which means this: When “Arrested Development” returns in December, we’ll probably be watching the last new episodes ever. So treasure them like the last Krispy Kreme and, when all is said and done, say a prayer for the death of a brilliant show (come on Middle America, I know you know how to pray, right?).

And excuse me as I turn back to Mr. Carlin for a nice wrap-up quote on this subject: “We got some dumb motherfuckers floating around this country.”

Seth Frelich is a television columnist for Pajiba. He lives in Washington, D.C.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

At least your show had a chance to build a fan-base.

Fox killed Firefly after 13 episodes.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Firefly was my show too, thank you very much!
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

Her?

My name is Sparty
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fox also canceled Family Guy.

Speaking of which, this season's shows have been surprisingly crappy.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

AD should be part of the Sunday night comedy lineup. Screw that war at home bullshit whatever.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

miir wrote:Fox also canceled Family Guy.

the last one was pretty shitty, but the others were fairly good.

the skit with the jews in egypt was priceless.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

miir wrote:Fox also canceled Family Guy.

401 was great, the next 9 were a bit lifeless. What people are posting as series 5 have been great..
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Apparently Showtime is in talks to pick up AD:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051214/tv_nm/arrested_dc;_ylt=AsLxVdARWZIW_Q3KioiCRK9xFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA-- wrote:LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Will the pay-TV environs of Showtime be a friendlier place for the Emmy-winning comedy "Arrested Development," which just got canceled by Fox?

Word around town this week is that Showtime is in talks to pick up the comedy about a chaotic family. Sources stressed that the talks are still exploratory and that it would be a big financial commitment on Showtime's part to pick up the show in its current form with a large ensemble cast that includes Jason Bateman, Jeffrey Tambor, Portia de Rossi, Jessica Walter and Will Arnett.

"Arrested" was an instant hit with critics following its debut on Fox in late 2003, but the show never pulled in much of a crowd, even after it won the Emmy for best comedy series in 2004. Last month, Fox threw in the towel, cutting its episode order for "Arrested's" third season from its initial 22-episode ticket to 13.

Representatives for Showtime, and the series' producers 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TV declined comment late Tuesday.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Man.. I so hope so :(
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

ABC and HBO supposedly have interest also. Fox hasn't actually cancelled the show yet and the ratings have supposedly gone up with the talk of cancelling it. I'm not sure for a fact about that. I read an article that stated that earlier today, but I can't find it now.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Season one and 2 are available on DVD.

I would love it if HBO picked it up. It would work great there.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Season 3 came out today.

Only about 24 dollars for the 13 final episodes and extras.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Remember if you like this show to BUY THE DVD! Stealing them off the internet won't help; the strength of DVD sales is what brought FG back.

Go Blue!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Sylvus wrote:Remember if you like this show to BUY THE DVD! Stealing them off the internet won't help; the strength of DVD sales is what brought FG back.
It's a little harder to bring a live action show back from the point it's at now. A lot of the actors have moved on to other things, it'd be difficult to get them all back together again I'd imagine.

Not that I wouldn't love to see it happen and possibly kill someone in order to make it happen!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Selling 500k copies of Firefly didn't help that show get resurrected.

It did get us Serenity however.

That really only works with cartoons where voice actors are a lot easier to secure again.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

It doesn't "really only work" with anything. :P It's happened like twice in the history of television, the first of which being what, 3 years ago? At some point the precedent might also be set that it can happen with live-action series as well. It's only been out of production for like a year or less, it's not at all an impossibility.

The bottom line is that if something makes enough money, the people that are making that money will try to keep making that money. The only question is how much money that takes.

Go Blue!
Akanae
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Akanae »

The three cases of a show being brought back in some form due to DVD sales (that I am aware of) are Futurama, Firefly, and Family Guy.

I find it interesting that all of these shows were on FOX. BTW on the season 2 box set (I believe disc 3). If you watch the deleted scenes the guy who plays Tobias goes on a tiriad about all the awards the show has won, and how the fault of the bad ratings lies in the marketing of the show, not the quality of the show.

Edit: I just noticed all the shows start with the letter F ... freaky.
WOW - Eewy priest of Cenarius
EQ- Akanae Tendo officer of OTB ~retired~
COH - Akanae Empathy Defender on Pinnacle ~retired~
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

i think adult swim was more important to fox than the dvd sales. if it wasnt for AS than futurama or family guy wouldnt have been continued.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Zamtuk wrote:i think adult swim was more important to fox than the dvd sales. if it wasnt for AS than futurama or family guy wouldnt have been continued.
I'm sure AS helped, but it was the strength of the DVD sales that breathed in new life more than anything. The Family Guy DVD sales blew everyone at Fox away.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm all for cancelling TV shows if it leads to more reality TV programming. All reality all the time. That's what we need!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:I'm all for cancelling TV shows if it leads to more reality TV programming. All reality all the time. That's what we need!

Yeah, turn off the TV = Cancelling TV shows
Open your door and walk outside = All reality all the time!

:)

I HATE reality TV.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I bought Season 1-2-3 over the holidays. This series is really funny and its a shame it isn't on tv any longer. I love the fact how they make a joke at the beginning and it becomes a running gag throughout the episode.
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Arrested Development

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Oh god yes please
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Arrested Development is coming back for another season, direct to Netflix:

I didn't care for it for the first few episodes. Not sure if I'll watch them all but the shows have improved with episodes 3 and 4.
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - Break out the blue paint, denim cutoffs and your best chicken dance - "Arrested Development" is heading to Netflix.

The series is resuming production and will be available for instant viewing by Netflix subscribers in 2013, the company announced late Friday.

The quirky, Emmy-winning show featured Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, Portia de Rossi, Michael Cera and Jeffrey Tambor as members of the dysfunctional, formerly wealthy Bluth family. Netflix didn't specify which original cast members might be returning or say how many new episodes were planned.

"Netflix is gassing up the staircar! I don't think I've ever been happier to wear a pair of khakis," Bateman tweeted.

Ron Howard, who served as the show's executive producer and narrator, also shared the news on Twitter: "Gotta warm up my throat and start practicing.... "it's Arrested....Development"

"Many thanks to you ever-so-vocal Arrested Development supporters Wouldn't have gotten here without you," he added.

Twentieth Century Fox Television and Imagine Television will produce these new episodes for the online subscription service, reviving the series five years after the Fox broadcast network pulled the plug.

Imagine Entertainment co-founders Howard and Brian Grazer noted that bringing a series back from cancellation almost never happens.

"But then, 'Arrested' always was about as unconventional as they get, so it seems totally appropriate that this show that broke the mold is smashing it to pieces once again," they said.

Last month, series co-creator/executive producer Mitchell Hurwitz told attendees at the New Yorker Festival's "Arrested Development" cast reunion panel that he wanted to shoot nine or 10 episodes that would catch fans up on what the Bluth clan has been up to since the series ended. That season will be followed by a movie.

Earlier this year, Netflix announced that "House of Cards," a new political drama starring Kevin Spacey, will be produced for viewing on the service in 2012.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I just blue myself.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

They had a Bluth's Frozen Banana stand outside the SiriusXM building this morning. We all know there's always money in the banana stand.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:I just blue myself.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Just finished watching all of the new season. It was different than the original run, but I enjoyed it. I was a bit tired of seeing the same scenes replayed by the end though. I hope next season (if there is one...and there better be!) they go back to the old style instead of following individual members of the cast.

No matter what, it was still solid, and I'm very happy that it is back!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote: I was a bit tired of seeing the same scenes replayed by the end though. I hope next season (if there is one...and there better be!) they go back to the old style instead of following individual members of the cast.
I don't think there will be. But who knows!

--
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

There will be. It may not be a season, but maybe a movie or something.

I thought it was excellent. I love that they basically took everyone's expectations and went somewhere else with them. I'm happy they didn't give us 15 episodes of call backs, yet teased them, though, a Franklin cameo wouldn't have hurt. And there were enough Easter eggs to warrant a few watch throughs. Minor complaints here and there, but the actors were so busy IRL that it was the best they could do.

Favorite Easter egg so far is George Maharis (GMB's alias) is a real life actor who got arrested in 1967 for getting caught being sexual in the bathroom with a guy named Perfecto Telles.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Zamtuk wrote:There will be. It may not be a season, but maybe a movie or something.
If it's a movie then it's not a season. Which was the part I was commenting on.

--
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Yeah, I really misread that. Whoops.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's ok. I should have specified what I was referring to. I've been reading too many Spang posts apparently. I did know the general premise of this season and how it was like the same thing basically just based on the perspective of others. Which was a bit disappointing when I read that but will give it a chance.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

On episode 4 now. Not really keen on the actual storyline but I'm digging all the cameos and such.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There might be! I assume it comes down to if the "talent" is available. But really what are most of them doing these days? Not much!

Netflix Inc. (NFLX), the largest subscription video-streaming service, is in talks for another season of “Arrested Development,” said Brian Grazer, co-chairman of the production company, Imagine Entertainment.

“We are in conversations with them to do another,” Grazer said in an interview yesterday with Bloomberg Television at the Allen & Co. conference in Sun Valley, Idaho. “They are interested in doing that.”

Chief Executive Officer Reed Hastings has called “Arrested Development” and other “Netflix originals” integral to his strategy of transforming the company from a purveyor of rerun programming into a Web-based television network offering a mix of Hollywood movies and new shows, comparable to Time Warner Inc.’s HBO.

Joris Evers, a spokesman for the Los Gatos, California-based company, didn’t respond to a phone message and e-mail seeking comment.

All-new episodes of “Arrested Development” and the horror series “Hemlock Grove” began streaming on Netflix in the second quarter, and Hastings has said both exceeded viewing expectations, without offering numbers. The revived show, produced with 21st Century Fox Inc., follows the comedic exploits of the Bluth family. Hastings originally said it was a one-season undertaking, a position he hedged in May on CNBC.

“If the talent were willing to do more and interested in that, I’m sure we would be willing,” Hastings told the network.

--