Sept. 11th Memories...

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sept. 11th Memories...

Post by noel »

I think the linked thread here is a good way to remember what we were all thinking and feeling last year at this time. I was just looking through some of the old posts, and thought I'd toss up linkage to this.

http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?top ... 535&page=1

Peace,
Noel/Aran
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I remember that day...how surreal it was, wandering around my school, and not hearing a word. The busiest hallway of the day had no sound but footsteps. We had kids getting sick as the day went along and more and more news came in. We couldn't get into any websites, tv's were down, a few of the student's probably thought the world was ending. A scary, and yet triumphant, day when you think about it.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

triumphant?
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

9/11

Post by Kguku »

One of the best sites I saw honouring those from 9/11 was this one..

http://www.geocities.com/never_forget911p/
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

kyoukan type-R wrote:triumphant?
I saw that too... I'm hoping he's inferring that the way it brought all of us (the world) together in some way. I hope. Or he just used the wrong word. Or he's a fucking idiot.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

All I can say, is that day changed my life in more ways than one.... so far... none of them good.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I remember being scared. I was scared that more planes would fall from the sky. I remember it was the first day of my life where (evenutally), there were no planes in the sky... well, except for the ones carrying missiles or troops.

I remember being worried. Were my friends and family ok? Would they continue to be?

I remember being furious. How could someone do this to my country? Who did it? When would we have a target? How soon could we take our revenge?

That's what I remember about that day.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

What truly strikes me from that day.... I remember being with Chidoro 5 days earlier in a bar in NY.... not the fact that I should have been at the Pentagon that day... not the fact that my world was riped apart 3 weeks after that day... just the bar.. and the beers... I really dont think this is done... we deserve more retribution...

BTW, on a side note, military activity in DC is EXTREMELY high right now, very high, but very subtle..... at any given time of day you can see 10 or so helocopters over the city... and during rush hour there are gunships flying above.....
Revs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Revs »

To this day I can't bear to watch all the footage. I was lucky enough not to be in the city that day (doing deliveries) and I thanked my boss for that, otherwise I would've been stuck for two days with nowhere to go. I did have a scare though, a friend worked at the WTC but he happened to be in Trenton that morning...

My father worked at 6 WTC with the Consumer Product Safety Commission; he retired on disabilty last May and was in Puerto Rico on the 11th. When he came home in December a few friends and neighbors thought he was presumed dead. He was happy that his fellow workers made it out in time but there are times that I wonder if he was still working and what he would've done on that day...
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

After the initial shock and disbelief, I felt extremely sad for the folks in the military who were going to have to go and do something about it. Because there wasn't any doubt that they would.

Rightly so, but it changes them forever.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I remember waiting to be recalled to duty. Got the call to verify my availability but didn't get the call to go. Guess I am too old and fat now but I still have Mad Skillz.

I know this is a solomn time and all, and feelings are all warm, fuzzy, and patriotic, but if I get one more email about this I am going to scream. I feel as bad as the next guy that this happened but I get the same shit over and over and over saying, "REMEMBER..." well how the hell can I forget.

Hell I have been getting a shit load of people sending me Virus Warnings about the dreaded WTC that will erase your hard drive or send out damaging signals to nearby aircraft and bring them down. Groan.
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Airplanes

Post by Kguku »

Grizz - didn't you know that your computer can really be air traffic control? Cmon!

I was woken up that day by the news of it from a friend, figured he was just bullshitting me until I turned on the news and saw it.. all I could think was this was like something out of the movies.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

You know reading posts from back then, I, well

You know it is still too close
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

You know, the fact that we are all here, one year later is a good thing... while it affected some of our worlds drastically...... the rest of us have had the ability to continue on and thrive...
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

I have a close friend who works at a bank in the Financial District, across the street from the site of the WTC. When I saw the footage I immediately tried to contact him to see if he was OK.

The line to his office was not in service when I called. I tried to reach him on his mobile. He answered and gave me a glimpse into hell.

He was talking to me as he was running down the street away from the crumbling buildings. In the background I heard the roar of the buildings collapsing and screams like I have never heard before and hopefully will never hear again. He told me he saw the bodies of people plummeting from the building and saw a woman get crushed by a piece of debris.

Eventually his phone cut out and I was left with silence. I stood at my desk for a long time holding the receiver in my hand, unable to do anything.

I found out later that he made it to safety.

Even though I wasn't there and didn't lose any loved ones in the tragedy I feel touched by it. I still can't comprehend the enormity of what happened that day, and I guess I'll never be able to.
Zebedi
No Stars!

Post by Zebedi »

I remember waking up to some moron *talking* on the stupid top-40 station on my clock-radio. (top-40 annoys me awake)

I remember thinking that it was a hoax, the 2001 version of "War of the worlds".

I remember seeing F15 fighters flying in pairs over the skyline of boston.

I remember going to my work and watching CNN while browsing the boards. I remember watching in fascination as those 2 planes crashed into the WTC towers.

I remember thinking to myself that the motherfuckers that had done this had no fucking idea of the vengance that the US would bring to them.

I'm still enraged when I think about that day.

I don't think that's ever going to change.
Dolby
No Stars!

Post by Dolby »

I work for a local nbc station and that day I was in our transmittions (where we recieve and send all feeds) room. We were airing the Today show and all of a sudden they broke to a live shot of one of the WTC Towers burning. It looked as if it was just a small aircraft that crashed into it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it was anything else. But when the 2nd plane hit every one knew what was happening. I watched about 30 different feeds all live as it happend. Every one of our beta decks and sat. dishes were in use that day.

I remember when the first tower collapsed every one in the studio went quite. Even the director couldnt speak. Only words that were muttered were "Oh my God". I dont think there was ever anything we have covered in the past that has done this.

My heart goes out to any one effected by the attacks. I know just watching it over sat. feeds is nothing like being there or haveing a love one effected.
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

I remember wiring up one of the old black and white T.V sets we found in the store in work when we heard about it.
At first it was a complete hoax to us and then the news just kept coming in, so i fired it up and there it was. With the black and white screen T.V flickering and getting bad reception it looked like some old horror movie.
Then i phoned my friend who was in town all day, he had gone through it all and not heard a word, carried on til like 4pm till i told him and he wouldnt believe me.....

possibly the most fucked up thing ive ever seen.... :cry:
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I watched a one-year-on documentary 2 nights ago and it brought it all back.

It was near 2pm my time and I was collecting a package from the post office when the radio announced a plane had crashed into a WTC tower. The post office guy and I remarked how that coudn't be good.
Then I drove back to work and just as I arrived they said the second plane had hit. Pretty much nobody at work had heard a thing and didn't believe me when I told them. But then we watched it all unfold on TV in the board room and very little work got done that afternoon.

It's still very hard to believe or to take in and I still get a hitch when I see the changed skyline (or old footage with the towers in place). And watching the disaster in real time from impact to tower collapse, as this documentary showed, well it still makes me go cold.
And it's not even my country.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I was thinking the exact same thing this past labor day weekend Ran. I remember the brazilian day parade closing off all of the streets in midtown and partying like there wasn't a care in the world. I remember you telling me how much you got a kick out of city life and pondered moving to one. I also remember it because that was the last day I got a real good look at the trade center. The 1 and 9 stopped running one stop before the trade center and they offered to shuttle people to the transfers (some ordinary weekend tube testing). I decided to walk it and got a real good look at them as I headed south to get to the path trains.

I still remember most everything about my walk from the trains to leave the building for my office. As you go up the escalators (people used to take pictures of it, 10 or 15 some odd escalators packed with people riding up constantly just said "business day in the city") there was a big electric sign at the top that used to give the weather and say "Good Morning". Some days, promotional people were down there. Breakstone was promoing the fruit/cottage cheese that day if I remember correctly. You recognized the same homeless people who would sit at the bottom of the escalators each day.

When I get stuck at the office late, I occasionally walk by the site and am amazed of how difficult a time I have trying to place where they used to be.

I was scared shitless. It was a sense of "where the hell do I go to get away". The jet fighters flying overhead made me jumpy. No one listened to me when I left the building, they were too busy staring in shock. I was making my walk alone for a long time because of that.

I remember letting a couple of people try and use my cell phone when I took a pause by the pier that leads to staten island. One was an older lady who didn't speak english too well. From what I was able to get out of her, she was supposed to be in the office in the center at 9. She carried a ratty little notebook that had friends and family written info I gather. The problem was, the phones weren't working too well because of the congestion and when the tower fell, they weren't working because there wasn't an antenna any longer.

My office is off next Wednesday. I already knew I was taking it off so it's good to know I won't have to use a day for it.
Ravenwind
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ravenwind »

All I could think about was the 2 people we had from work who were leaving that day to New York from somewhere back east, I can't remeber where they were coming from just that they had to be in NY that day. Seeing the 2nd plane live on TV back here in WA state crash into the 2nd tower will always haunt me. Friends in the family who still work at the Pentagon, what a shitty day.

Rav
Katria
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Katria »

And to think that other countries go through this all the time. Perhaps not in as many deaths per attack, but the terror is still there. Not to lessen the tragedy of 9/11/01 - but just think of how horrible it would be if it happened on a constant basis..
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Zebedi wrote:I remember thinking to myself that the motherfuckers that had done this had no fucking idea of the vengance that the US would bring to them.
I'm retired from the military, my thought was for the folks who would have to exact the vengance. Many of whom are very close friends of mine, and have families, children, and freinds, just like the rest of us...

We don't pay them nearly enough for the job they do and the life they live. And the price some of them have to pay.
Searyx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Searyx »

My Uncle works in an adjacent building to Ground Zero. When the first plane hit, most people in his office felt the shudder and went to see what was going on, but my Uncle stayed at his desk, assuming it was just a small plane.

When the second one hit, he knew something was going on, but kept working anyway, figuring it didn't involve him in particular. A few minutes later, they started emptying his building.

When he got to the bottom floor, there was one guy who was telling people to go the wrong way, in front of the WTC buildings. My Uncle didn't take his advice, and went in the other direction. One of his good friends followed instructions, and was killed by falling debris.

The WTC collapses effected EVERYONE.
Searyx Fairyslayer
Lvl 50 Fury (Lvl 50 Provisioner)
Officer of Vae Victis on the Crushbone Server
Hammerstalker PE
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hammerstalker PE »

I remember waking up to my phone ringing at 6AM PST...

I remember my Mom calling me from Toronto to make sure I wasn't travelling that day...

I remember turning on the TV and thinking this isn't real...

I remember the Anger...

I remember how the World came together to support the USA...

I remember how the American people banded together...

I remember the anguish and pain of the people who's images I saw on TV...

What I remember the most from that day however was the courage of the people on the filght that crashed in PA...
Hammerstalker Ironforge
65th High Priest of War

Hammr Bloodforge

58th Battletank
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

I remember waking up and turning on the TV to check the weather for that day... I was on afternoon/evening shift. I thought it was a movie at first... I changed the channel and saw the same image. I realized something big was happening, so I phoned my grandmother (she is a news junkie), and she told me what happened.

I remember being on the phone with her when the buildings fell... watching silently.

I remember shedding OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of tears for people I didn't even know, in a city I've never been to.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I called my cell phone provider to bitch because I couldn't get service. The nice lady on the other end calmly explained that all their lines were jammed with traffic because of the bombings in NYC.

I sarcastically asked her "Did they try to blow up the WTC again?"

Her reply was "Yes, and one of the towers has just collapsed. Aren't you watching the news?"

One of the few times in my life when I was at a loss for words. I turned on CNN just in time to see the second tower fall, still on the phone with that nice lady from Verizon.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

My brother came into my room at about 6:24AM PST. He said, "Wake up, a plane just hit the world trade center!"

I was thinking yeah, ok, some jackass in a Cessna did something stupid... I need a half hour more of sleep...

He came in 10 minutes later, and told me that a second tower had been hit.

I don't think I've ever been out of bed and awake that fast. I remember picking out my clothes and wondering how many days in a row I would be wearing them, in case it was more widespread than just NYC. Visions of the movie 'Red Dawn' filled my head...

The absolute hardest part of the day for me, was hearing about the firefighters that died in the towers when they collapsed. I had previously worked as a consultant for the LA City Fire Dept., designing and building the network that the 9-1-1 system runs on in the City of LA. I know what kind of people the firefighters are, because I spent days with them while I was working with them. I worked out with them, I went on helicopter and ride alongs with them, and became good friends with more than a few of them. Hearing about entire stations in New York being lost in the collapses broke my heart.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I wasn't working that day and I slept in bit. I turned on the radio and thought it was a gag except, it wasn't April fools. I went downstairs and turned on the TV and was horrified to see the footage of the planes. It seemed like a bad Chuck Norris movie or something, except it was CNN. Then the towers collapsed. I don't think I'd ever felt so cold on a warm day (was about 75-80F here).

The whole thing seemed like a bad dream.

I still remember how quiet it seemed with no aircraft flying overhead, and how we all noticed when the flights resumed again.

A year later, I never want to see those images again, but the footage of the impact and the collapsing buildings is still all too fresh, 3/4 of a continent away... I still want to see those guilty for the planning and exectution of such an incomprehensibly evil act punished but I do have some doubts that they will, or that the World will ever know it... and it won't change what happened.

To those who lost friends and family members, my heart goes out to you, from my little piece of Canada. And I hope that something like this never happens again, anywhere.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Aarinu
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Aarinu »

All I remember is crying. Crying for all the lost lives, the families that will have to bear the weight of this undescribable event.

I felt OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of anger, to this day, I want Bin Laden's head. I personally want to rip his fucking head off and shit down his neck. I want and will kill anyone I deem a terroist threat. Bottom line, you fuck with my country, my brothers and sisters, you fuck with the wrong person.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I remember the feeling of helplessness sitting alone at my desk in Battle Creek, Michigan. I just wanted to be close with my loved ones and let them know I was here to protect them.

I definately had a "Red Dawn" feeling as well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I remember watching CNBC, checking the market news and preparing for another day of stock trading. I remember the CNBC anchor telling us that a plane had hit the WTC and switching to a live feed.

It looked like a small plane had hit at first. I called my parents to wake them up to see the news and saw the second plane hit live.

When the 3rd plane hit the Pentagon I began to wonder how big this was going to get.

I kept the channel on CNBC mostly and watched as the financial world halted and witnessed the traders on Wallstreet forget all about thier money for awhile.

On one channel I saw two people, a lady and man, jump from the WTC holding hands.

I thought about my college friend I had lost contact with who worked in the WTC and wondered if he was alright. Later, I checked the list of deceased from the WTC and didn't see his name...

...two weeks ago another friend called me and sent me a link. It turns out my friend went by his middle name "Sean" but he was listed officially as Christopher Caton on the deceased posts.

He worked on the 105th floor. He didn't stand a chance. I wonder what the last 30 minutes of his life was like up there in the WTC. It helps me to understand that you certainly must live for the present as the future holds much uncertainty.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

it was pretty strange. i was kind of just standing around for awhile watching on the TV In my office. I was pulling into the parking deck when the first one hit, and the radio reports were suggesting it was a plane like a Cessna.

so i got to my office, turned it on. and just stood there watching for awhile, and just watched the next airplane hit.

when the first tower collapsed, stuff went from very hectic here (CNN) to borderline chaotic. obviously some people were freaking out cause of friends/family who work at the WTC, others just were upset by the magnitude of it all. and then there were the people busting ass trying to do their job.

they told me i wasnt essential personnel and could go home, i deal with what happens in commercial breaks and needless to say it was several days before there was another one of those on the air. Basically all of the big companies in downtown Atlanta (Nations Bank, Coke, etc) who have large office buildings sent people home.

I was happy to get out of there, like most everybody i was fairly rattled by the whole thing. There was no way to know whehter the 4 airplanes was part of a larger "offensive" or what.

It was extremely strange to sit at home (was with my fiancee - now wife) and flip through and see the same picture on ESPN, MTV, you name it...everybody's parent company's news feed.

After lunch though i went out and bought 2 desks and 2 office chairs so i had something to put together to occupy myself.

I'm certainly ready for the news retrospectives to be over, it is unpleasant to watch the same images so many times.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Christ Winnow, you actually made me shed a tear at work.

Losing an old friend can be just as bad as losing the person you hang out with everyday. I know I called lots of old friends within the following days of 9/11. Seeing your post made me realize I haven't talked to many since those phone calls.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Voronwë wrote:I'm certainly ready for the news retrospectives to be over, it is unpleasant to watch the same images so many times.
Not to turn the post negative, but I wish they'd only run it on 9/10 and 9/11. Freaking bloodsuckers looking for ratings at the expense of those who died in NY and elsewhere on that day and in the following days.

The content/coverage in the 3-4 days after 9/11 were very well done. After that it just became nauseating.

Remember - yes, relive - no
Last edited by Aabidano on September 6, 2002, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KilornCloudwalker
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by KilornCloudwalker »

Not much different than many here... I was working 4:30 to 1:30am shifts at the time and was staying with my now ex-girlfriend for a few weeks. Woke up around 10am EST just after the first plane hit. I remember getting up and turning on the TV as I woke up.. And just feeling a sense of dread, horror and anger all at once. I always knew we were a target for terrorism, but as well as most of the country, I let myself be veiled in the complacent cloak of our perceived invulnerablity. I watched that TV set for hours as updates came in and went to work that afternoon with a small fm radio walkman to catch the frequent updates from every single station on the fm band. It is the most tragic even I've ever witnessed. I didn't have friends that died or were lost, but many of my friends here in FL have family or friends there, so it was still very touching and affected me greatly to see their pain and frustration.

Someone above mentioned the silence... never before was the cliche of a deafening silence more profound then the 11th and the days following. No one knew what to say. How do you mourn thousands of people at once?

The two things that stood out most in my mind from that time were: The incredible out pouring of support from everyone. US and foriegn alike. I look back at that lost post we had here recently about how people view the US and all..and there's truth there, but in September of last year.. they felt our pain and came to our side in a way never seen before. Watching the video feed of Ground Zero as people of every shape, size, color and creed banded together to save their fellow man still fills me with a hurt, but an incredible pride in our nation and our race as humans, to know what we ARE capable of... and the second thing: Guiliani is the man. No matter his past as mayor of NYC, he held together everything in a way I doubt many could have under that pressure. He showed me what NYC meant to its residents and to the world. I am impressed still with his calm and resolve during that time. I may not admire all he did before, but he was a different man in my eyes after Sept 11th.

I also have to agree with many here. I don't feel we've had the repayment we deserve for our pain... I still ache and still am full of a seething anger for justice. May it come to us without the loss of more of our own.
Kilorn Cloudwalker
62 Oracle - Retired
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I was at work, cranking away on the press when I was doing screen printing. As was custom, I demanded to be able to listen to the radio. The station we were on interrupted broadcast, switched to live news feed...we weren't sure what was going on at first, having no visual to go with the audio we were receiving. We all stopped and stood around the radio until after the collapse, the pentagon, and the PA plane. We were all pretty shaken up and scared. Then our boss came back and threatened to fire us if we didn't get back to work.

I didn't get to 'see' it until i got home after work that day.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Freaking bloodsuckers looking for ratings at the expense of those who died in NY and elsewhere on that day and in the following days.

On a similar, sickning note... Do you know how hard FOX worked in order to get Kelly, the winner from American Idol, placed as the person who gets to sing the National Anthem at the 9/11 memorial service? God, it makes me wretch.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

wow i hadnt heard that, what a joke.

but since it is fox i'm not surprised, if it is true.
Coatlicue [KoE]
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Coatlicue [KoE] »

I remember waking up that morning, feeling sick and calling into work. Xunil did the same exact thing. I drove over to his house, and had breakfast with him. He went downstairs to the basement and, always a news freak, turned on WGN Chicago. Then I heard him yelling at me while I was still upstairs finishing my breakfast, and I ran down to see what was the problem.

I remember the horror I felt watching the live feed of the 2nd plane hitting the WTC.

I remember the sickening feeling I got when I heard about the police and fire crews going to the site to help try and evacuate the buildings.

I remember how I thought I was going to be sick when I thought my brother in law might be dead.. he's a police officer in the 20th precinct in NYC and would most definetly be either dispatched out or already there.

I remember how scared I felt when I thought of my sister, a 911 operator in NYC and wondering if she was at work today - and how she must be scared shitless about her husband being a police officer and how she had to deal with all the emergency calls coming in.

I remember sitting there horrified as Xunil handed the phone to me and quietly said, "Call your sister."

I remember how I was crying all day long cause I couldn't get through on the phone lines, and I was worried that my sister and brother in law were dead, i feared for my niece and nephews that they didnt' have a mom and dad anymore. I feared for all the others that were experiencing this first hand, and mourned for the people who died. I remember the anger that I felt towards the terrorist bastards that tried to tear my country and my family apart.

I remember how I felt when i finally heard my sister's husky voice, barely understanding her because of her very thick new york accent and because of the tears that were caught in her throat, preventing her from speaking clearly. I remember her telling me that Efrain is safe, but he's at the site, helping people and trying to save lives. I felt scared for the people out there again, afraid something else was going to happen.

I remember talking with Efrain when he came back home, him telling me about what he had to do.

I remember the angish and horror I felt when he told me that all emergency rescue people had to write on all their limbs their SSN's in case they were severed, decapitated, or crushed during the missions, so that their bodies would be identified better. I remember feeling sickened again when he told me he was on body duty, and how he was one of the people removing the dead from the site...

I remember how relieved I felt that my sister and brother in law were safe, and how selfish I considered myself to be because I was thankful that Efrain wasn't on duty that morning and my sister wasn't at work... and thinking, "Thank God, it wasn't one of them.." I remember being angry at myself for thinking like that, when so many others lost their lives.

I then remember how proud I felt seeing our nation and world come together to fight back. I remember how sad I felt when I thought, "it's unfortunate that it had to take a tragedy such as this to bring this world together..." I remember how shitty I felt when I thought of the other countries that battle terrorism and bombings and suicide bombings on an everyday basis, and felt thankful that my beautiful country doesn't have to deal with that every day.

Thank you all for your strength and courage. Mourn those that died, but celebrate their lives.
Coatlicue Tlatoani [Retired] ~ Keepers of the Elements ~ Keeper of the Gnome
Sinnahmynh ~ 60 Gnome Warrior ~ Light of Dawn (WoW) ~ Lightbringer
Kailye * Kyonmoon * Shinyong (Horde) ~ Light of Dawn (WoW) ~ Lightbringer

Zoe: No one's gonna force you to go, Jayne. As has been stated -- this job's strictly speculative.
Jayne: Good. Cause I don't know these folks, don't much care to.
Mal: They're whores.
Jayne: I'm in.
Ninan
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ninan »

I was up and out early that morning for I had a huge day planned beginning with a meeting in Downtown Atlanta with my accountants. Thats when the first plane hit, we all hovered around a small 12" in. TV set watching in disbelief. Then plane two hit and all we could feel was a sickening in the bottom of our stomachs. Then plane 3 hit and We were just totaly mezzed and numb.

You see my afternoon, I was supposed to go into my business and fire my general manager who was performing way under sub par. I called my partner as we were both incoming to my office. My partner wanted to delay the firing due to the circumstances, but knowing what had to be done I decided waiting wasn't an option and fired this person anyway.

I felt bad, under the circumstances, but the next day I was glad I followed through with the plan. I will remember this person though from now till the day I die on Sept. 11th.

Ninan
Ninan Nivasse

<a target="new" href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.h ... ">Ninan</a>
Brittney
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Brittney »

I was sound asleep at about around 620 or so and I got a phone call from my RL friend (Aarenn in game) I pick up the phone and he just starts babbling and talking all fast... I couldn't even understand him and then he's like ...... Dude turn on the fuckin TV One of the WTC towers has been hit by a plane.... I thought he was just joking or something but there it was and a few mins after I turned on the TV the 2nd tower was hit. I just couldn't believe it. first thing I did was wake my mom up, she was like ... too. the whole day I just sat there in total disbelief.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I remember sleeping late that day after working the night shift the day before. I went to my friends place and the first thing that happened when I walked in the door was Moctemoc telling me that a plane had just crashed into the WTC. I sat down and watched in disbelief for 30 seconds, then the second plane came.

I remember sitting so far away from it all, in a different country, on a different continent, and speaking with people in IRC about it.

I remember sharing the fear and the anger of people I had never met.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Katria
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Katria »

Like Coatlicue said, "Mourn those that died, but celebrate their lives." Not only is that day my wedding anniversary, but it's my sister's wedding anniversary as well.. talk about never being able to forget. I remember being at work in our network operations center and seeing on 8 different big screens the images of the planes crashing over and over again. We normally receive continuous phone calls and everyone's always talking. When those images were going on, the phones stopped, nobody said a word and nobody moved.

It was fantastic how everyone came together after that day.. it's ashame that 'bond' didn't last any longer than it did..
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

I remember hearing about it and being in total shock. I live in NJ (about a 15 minute drive from GWB). I know friends who lost family members and other friends. I remember staying up all night looking for information on their family members, looking all over the net and TV's for numbers to call for information. Was this biggest nightmare of my life.. I remember looking at the TV and just thinking it was a movie. Thought I'd wake up the next morning and it would all be normal.
Timmah.

Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

I remember my mom calling me before the alarm woke me up and saying "Jo turn on the TV, we are being attacked", with sleep still in my eyes, I stumbled out to the livingroom and watched live on the news as the second plane crashed into the other tower.....my son woke up during those endless moments when the alarm finally went off and got ready for school as usual, He came out with a bowl of cereal and asked me why I was crying and what was going on....to this day I still don't have a good answer.
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
Lynxe
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynxe »

A different perspective...

I'm Canadian, I didn't know anyone in the WTC or Pentagon, but I remember someone running past my cubicle at work saying a plane had hit one of the towers for the WTC. Everyone at my office ran to TV's and crowded around them in shock.

Then the land of Newfs got flooded with people.

All the flights due to land in the US were diverted and a larger percentage of them came here. When they arrived, authorities took forever letting people off them - they were still looking for terrorists. People didn't know what was happening or why they were here. Some communities doubled or tripled overnight. People invited strangers into their homes to stay, schools shut down and gyms were used to set up beds, cafeterias and baby stations. People took time off work and other businesses shut down completely as folks volunteered to help with everything from site-seeing, translations for those not native to english, medical services, internet access, telephone access and more. Here in the city, people when to the shelters and "adopted" families to take to the comfort of their homes during their stay.

When they left, one of the "strangers" stood up on his plane and asked all the passengers if he would join him in donating money to a scholarship fund for the community they stayed in as a thank you. It was a strange time...
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

I had to head into my classroom at 1 pm and teach a bunch of scared college freshmen. Amazingly, everybody was there, and I began by giving them 5 minutes to leave if they wished. Nobody did, so I went on and taught my lesson (which wasn't easy to do), then talked to them about what I knew was going on for about 30 minutes. Maybe I just should have let them all go without class, but at the time I thought that they should make the decision on whether to go on or not. Maybe they needed the sense of normalcy in the middle of that day, to hide a bit in the ivory tower before going back to the TV's that were showing only death and fear.

Animale Vicioso
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Taly
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Taly »

Even after a year it still sends shivers up my back and makes me cry =(
Jaxomer