Who was uber to you when you started?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Who was uber to you when you started?

Post by Cartalas »

Mine was Atak Zerg, He was decked out in Purple with his epic.

Also watched Sarcon in Awe.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I forget who the group was, but in like May of '99 I was resting in NRO at the wizard platform thing and a group of FoH ported in. I thought that was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen, they all had cool-looking armor and matching guild tags.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I forget who the group was, but in like May of '99 I was resting in NRO at the wizard platform thing and a group of FoH ported in.
Used to be funny, all the random tells when people used to see a group of us gathered in any location. Eventhough my gear was pretty crappy by FOH standards, I still got shitloads of inspects and questions just because of the guild tag.

The only person I really thought was uber was Malyous... and not because of his gear.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

I was on my way to a BotB tournament on my wiz, and while running through SK, I watched Krimson take out the entire Aviak Village with his pet. I thought "My god that's incredible." One reason I have my troll face is because of him :).
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Kaluian_CT
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kaluian_CT »

I was a wannabe Creediki.

As far as early impressions, I used to group with Juctice some, and learned what an efficient exp group really was. Those were the first groups that casters didnt get mana breaks, and I loved that,..I hate wasteing time.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

I was a level 19 ish Paladin in Cazic Thule, and zoned to escape train 449943 of the hour, and ran into a ton of spectres. Started zone bouncing, and then said to hell with it, and popped back into the Feerot to use LoH and go down fighting.

I was past LoH use, and past all my mana, and on the edge of death when Serra walked up and owned the 2 spectres ( I had actually killed one).

I thought FoH was uber for how they were sploiting pathing all over the place.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Boo
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Boo »

I remember getting a lot of mistells that were meant for Ooga back in the days, and I was like who the hell was this dude and how the hell did VI let him choose a name so close to mine? (Oogah was a randomly generated name.)

Later on, I was running Oogah through the E. Common tunnel and just around the corner was Ooga, sitting there with his Mortificator Staff (a badass-looking long stick with a skull at the end) and in full Hate gears. A short chat ensued, and after that I was so impressed I spent nearly 2 weeks non-stop camping Rathe Mnts for the stick (which I still have in the bank, hehe) and went on an XP rampage to get to level 46 as fast as I could so I could visit Hate. Looking back, that was the day I became a "hard core" player, so to speak.

As I'm typing this, I'm raising a bottle of Bass Ale to you Phil, for inspiring me, and for (eventhough it was unintentionally) shift Boo's shamanistic career into overdrive. :D
Last edited by Boo on June 19, 2003, 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boo. Oogah Boo. Double Uh-Oh. Licensed to slow.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Back in the day, in my eyes.....

Dolby was the uberest pally.

Boogahz was the uberest druid.

Rawby was the uberest rogue.

Daender was the uberest ranger.

Kehlantra was the uberest enchanter.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

two distinct uber pc memories. First one was seeing koraf sitting and chatting to someone by the fire in surefall. I was level 6 at the time (had a bitch staying level 7 with the death penalty what it was) and he was 35! Wow, thirty fucking five.
The other was when I could afford banded arms and wrists and saw Atar in Qeynos. Omg, he was level 20 and he could even make the dreaded banded cloak as well!
emmer
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by emmer »

Barron was pretty uber, I watched him kill orc legionairres 2 at a time! Then he made Wandering who had a Green Silken Drape at lvl 5 when I was still wearing my (somewhat less uber) blue Qeynos Senior Apprentice Robe.

and yes I did run all the way to Qeynos for a blue one.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Koraf, Kalaran, Nino, and Tree were always the guys I was chasing.I never felt as uber as when I was high enough level to move into the courtyard in cazic thule (me, axhine, suvious, camdar), only to realize Kal and his group had moved deeper, leaving me behind yet again.
Baracus
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Baracus »

Walterus and Hakadek.
Five trouts in a trout box! - Wonko
Baracus Asshat
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I was on my 4th char, never got one over level 32 but decided to make a warrior, a dorf even. I was back in CB for the 4th time and was in full crafted, pretty damn pimp I thought. Up walks this barbarian warrior, asks if he can inspect me, then a trade window pops up and I click trade. I look in my inventory and there is a carved dragonbone spear (velious had just come out). I equip this thing, it's like 3 times bigger then me... looks cool as hell, and kills stuff in one hit even with the dmg cap. I run around killing anything that moves, I used this thing till I hit around 25, sold it and upgraded a buncha slots (got 19k for it). To this day I still pass out weapons to newbies after checking them out. The Barbarian warrior that passed it on to me actually trolls these boards too. His name is Brotha, you may not like his views, but I will say this, I will never forget his generosity to someone he had never met. Thanks Brotha. 8)
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I remember back in my teens (summer/fall 99) being in Oasis, killing orcs and there was an SG training around and to the docks... and we all watched in awe: it was a human female char soloing this thing... at the time we thought she was an SK or a ranger, because "we saw her cast spells" but they could have been yaks proccing.

For indivuals, I remember seeing Strifei in full indi and thinking "holy shit... one day I might be in full crafted...", seeing Juctice in full JBBthe first time, Herzog in full cobalt (pre-Ebay1), Nino with the first cleric epic I saw. I remember first joining KOE and seeing Rizz, Waran, Valiir, and Vailex all with Wurmslayers and thinking "holy shit these guys are uber" (well except Vailex/Sailex: he was always my bitch).
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Drozified
No Stars!

Post by Drozified »

When i was a wee Shadowknight just starting out, the very first high level SK I saw was Valrtye. Ended up in the same guild as him, and he started handing me down his Dark Forge Armor at the time.
murr
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by murr »

Probably Kalaran and that gnome wiz that ran with FoH early on, along with Suvious, Creediki and Ranstan I'd see them killing SGs in Oasis and was much impressed. Kal did a driveby on me in Oasis one day after I had been guilded and gave me two Woven Grass Bracelets..was leet.
Murr - Fires of Heaven - Black Dragonflight
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Blazar/Eschlon sp?

Grouped with him a few times in unrest for a few exp grind camps. He was down to earth guy who knew what he was doing on his enchanter. He told me stories about his lvl 50 wiz and such, and that set me down the path of wanting to join Fires.

Barron and Brittney were 2 of the coolest peeps I knew. Met them both at a Vox raid, only for us to be slain. After the raid we went zone to zone killing shit and had a blast. I think I was even hitting on Brittney. Hell if I know!
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

I remember when I was about 20 or so and venturing to MM for the l33t exp. We were regrouping from a train that took out a couple of our groupmates and I saw Brittney standing there with this bright red robe. I remember looking at the name and just laughing. I thought that was the funniest thing. I had no idea who FoH was I just thought she (he) looked so friggen cool.
Timmah.

Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Id bet that train was from me. lvls 19-38 in MM owned :P well till wandering came in and tried to take my camp!
Topper
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Topper »

Moogy introduced the game to me.. i thought he was l33t! I also cant forget the Sethorn / Fameen thing going in OO that i thought was uber also.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

After leaving Qeynos Bank one day in late April '99 I ran across Koraf in full rubicite(azure arms i think), a yak and a demon claws(bladed thulian claws now). Was the first uber (he had hit lvl 50 about 2 days before) that I had ever saw in anything better than banded, bronze, or blackened iron, and uhh mino axes(4evah!) so I was really amazed. Think I asked him about every question a newb could possibly think to ask and followed him around.

I started seeing a lot more high lvls when I first moved from the karana area to mistmoore. Crip was my hero for quite some time and I remember he other and FoH, including Kartak as well as Kalaran before that doing deep grouping in MM.

I lived in MM and met a lot of cool people including Gerber Baby!!!!(Brittney) and some of the first IAE crew.

K I will shut up now...I love the old days.
Last edited by Keverian FireCry on June 18, 2003, 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deneve
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Deneve »

i'll be damned if i can remember the names, but when i just got my lvl 30 spells i was soloing in OT with my SK about 5months before luclin release and there was FoH killing a cliff golem, with a pally tanking...i was in awe, i had attacked it once and it hit me for over 100...there was no way anyone could live through those kinda hits! :roll:
Damiarch
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Damiarch »

Neeferio was my hero!
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

bah
Last edited by Keverian FireCry on June 19, 2003, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

Daahoud.

First saw him in Sol B early '00 while FOH was doing a Naggy run. I was watching him waltz his way past the kobolds, obliterating shit in his way. He was beating down the named fucker that charms (forgot what its called, drops that skull headed staff). I was level 49 and still dreaded that motherfucker because despite him being a green con, his fucking charm landed 90% of the time.

The mob ignores Daahoud for a few seconds to use me as a pet. Daa kills the kobold and 30 seconds later I'm still beating on him. The entire minute or so I was charmed, I did maybe 1/4 a bubble damage to Daahoud. I apologized and he just laughed about it saying it was no big deal.
Mplor
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mplor »

I moved to EQ where some friends (the Outriders of Karana) had paved the way for me, and naturally I wanted to play at their level someday. Here's to Tagad, Gesler, Adelrune, Raxgar and Crav, and - yes - even Sylvos (who will always be Sebitar to me :wink: ). I will never forget the day Sylvos led this noob from Qeynos all the way to Freeport, where the uber xp was.

Class-wise I aspired to be Denron. Nice guy and a prototype monk. Atlach was a stud too, and a great guy IRL. My sister still has a crush on him, lol.

Mippy

Peep. "Yes?" "Mmmmorre coookiesss......."
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

Keverian FireCry wrote:Whoever edited my message is a fucking loser. Sorry if I dont spend 15 minutes checking my fucking posts for errors you anon dick.
Woah calm down dude. :D There is a word filter on the board. If you put "a lot" together, it automatically pops up with OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS. It's been around for awhile now.
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Justice

Back in 99 Every time I went to NFP, I always saw this dude just standing there. He was decked out and just looked uber back in the day.
Wahooka_J
No Stars!

Post by Wahooka_J »

Kazlaaz!
Taly
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Taly »

Tsavarite i think his name was he was lvl 20 i believe and i was 12 and thought he was so uber in his shiney silver get up and kick ass sword. Thought i would never get to 20. i was just wanting 14 for SoW LOL.

Remember him wasting Nilipus everytime he saw him (way before the nerf)
I want to cast...........MAGIC MISSLE!
Melrin_Specclaster
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Melrin_Specclaster »

Me and my friends were having a LAN party. My friend (who played Vail) logged into EQ during our party and we were giving him shit. This was back when FoH was still camping hate zone in and damn I thought that was uber.
Coercer
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Well I am on Oogah's boat too. The name generator gave me Zamtik, so I changed it to Zamtuk, log on and see Zamtil. It was mistells from then on.

The first uber person I saw was Tree, I was like level 5 and he buffed me to high hell that got me to level 7 real fast. But the most uber thing I saw was this bullshit arena brawl that FoH had right after they killed Cazic for thier first time. Kartak literally took out EVERYONE in FoH plus more with Bladestorm. Azian stabbed me in the back and killed me after I miraculously survived the Bladestorm AoE. (what was it 700 - 800 damage?) I think it was Myrlynn who finally landed the Ice Comet that killed him finally.

I also remember seeing Myrlynn in Cryosilk for the first time. :shock:
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

OMG CT stole Rawby's rage book.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Kelgar wrote:Daahoud.

First saw him in Sol B early '00 while FOH was doing a Naggy run. I was watching him waltz his way past the kobolds, obliterating shit in his way. He was beating down the named fucker that charms (forgot what its called, drops that skull headed staff). I was level 49 and still dreaded that motherfucker because despite him being a green con, his fucking charm landed 90% of the time.

The mob ignores Daahoud for a few seconds to use me as a pet. Daa kills the kobold and 30 seconds later I'm still beating on him. The entire minute or so I was charmed, I did maybe 1/4 a bubble damage to Daahoud. I apologized and he just laughed about it saying it was no big deal.

Daahoud was the fucking man. Nicest guy you'll ever want to know combined with being a total bad ass mother fucker.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Out of everyone I saw in the game, I never saw Kyoukan. Ever. I have seen almost every 'old school' person that posts here at least or at VN boards. Hell I've seen most the ones that went to Saryrn, but never Kyoukan.

GHOST!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Back when I started, the uber ppl were the high levels of my guild. Edair, Shanks and Acolyte.
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

I remember watching Venti and Valanya and Kaelika and thinking, "Wow, I'll never be that good." Three years later and I'm still working on it.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Sparck
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Sparck »

I started playing EQ shortly after Kunark was released. I create my character and set foot out into Norrath for the very first time, and who do I see off to the side of Kaladim powerleveling on guards? None other than Furor and Nino. Had no clue as to who either of them were....little did I know that I was looking at the most popular EQ player ever.

I think I sent Furor a few random noob tells, inspected him 50 times not knowing what I was looking at......pretty much being as annoying as I could possibly be. I've been following FoH's accomplishments ever since that day.
Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Abelard »

Senolas, half elf warrior..anyone remember him?
Gain
No Stars!

Post by Gain »

Mortuous (I think that was how he spelled it)

The original necro. I wonder how many nerfs he caused. :-)
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I grouped with Kyou once in Sebs.

The entire -iae group was uber to me. Xiae seemed so totally bad ass. I remember one time 2 of them were both 2 boxing and needed 2 more to fill a group for the Crypt camp in Sebs to try to get a hiero cloak. Masumy and I joined... cloak dropped, I won the roll... I felt bad about taking it though :(

I ended up trading it to a little gnome for a bunch of upgrades in different slots, but I think I got ripped off... lol.

Acies are you a gnome? for some reason that name sticks out in my memory.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Durew
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Durew »

I started EQ pretty late in the game, late 2001, but I still remember being ported somewhere and as I ported in I saw Valick with the SK epic.. coolest looking character I ever saw, I was awestruck
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

Shulnak and Luha. :D

I was amazed that bards could do things like that.

Poor Shulnak, I was forever sending him tells that started off "how do I do....". :cry:
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Jiae was so fucking uber when he completed the Holy Partisan of Underfoot quest.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Abelard wrote:Senolas, half elf warrior..anyone remember him?
One of the nicest guys you will meet.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Druid friend of mine way back.. we were messing around in South Karana and he charmed an elephant and led it to the top of the aviak fort. Then, levitated it and sent it flying. :) That is some uber shit right there. ;)
en kærlighed småkager
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Vernal and Krimson were the two that inspired me. Obviously Vernal when I was a druid, and Krimson that showed me what a badass class the SK was.
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

Any of the early FOH rangers. (Janx, Elderan, Sean, Strider). They were always what I wanted to be and I always seemed one small step behind them. From being a week behind on trak bp and just one hour behind sean on first server ranger epics. Sad part is, after getting to know all of them, on one level or another, the only one that seemed like a good person to me was Janx.

Sithe, Doright, Aruman, Solar (she "he" kicked so much ass), Krimson, Xanupox, were all uber before uber was a word =)

One more to add. No, this guy didn't have the uber gear, but he had a uber crazy attitude, and he taught me how to pull live side. Ransure.

Ide love to see another best of the best thread like the old one on EQ Vault.

SpartAcus
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Vernal was a fucking riot....

I still remember powerleveling baby Dregor on Kerra Isle... good times.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I was always pretty low on the radar, despite having played since release. I've seen many of the people mentioned, but never really put anyone on a pedistal, or considered extra special in a any way.

I guess when I think of Uber, the first people I think of are druids that are not on this server. Veeshan druids are either not very vocal, or not very Uber. I happen to think it's a little bit of both. We certianly do not have any druids on Veeshan that I would look to for advice. I've been posting on the Druid Grove since release, and I've watched certian druids become the very highest of my class over the years, while passing down their knowledge to the rest of us. Those certian people will always be Uber to me.