Signs!

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Signs!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Was a kick ass movie. I recommend seeing it in the theatre.
Searyx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Searyx »

Ditto
Searyx Fairyslayer
Lvl 50 Fury (Lvl 50 Provisioner)
Officer of Vae Victis on the Crushbone Server
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Hrm, so the guy who liked Battlefield Earth recommends it, and so does Searyx?

I think I know a moviestudio who's right now dreading going out of business...
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Skunki
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Skunki »

this movie was mediocre at best Flimsy 6th sense style story line around crop circle hype with a dash of aliens/predator thrown in.
Carnon
No Stars!

Post by Carnon »

I definetly have to agree. Saw this movie last night, and I was very pleased. All movies if you take the time to b a prick about them are quite simple to figure out and realise where they are going by the clues you are given. But this was still a very entertaining movie.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I loved it as well.

Story was good, cinematography was excellent - as all his movies have been.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I also agree. Was an excellent movie.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I liked it, however, Millie's review pretty much summed it up nicely I think.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I thought it, while not horrible, sucked pretty bad. I understand it was a thinker movie but the whole idea behind the aliens and their world attack plan was so ridiculous that I had a hard time getting into the suspense part of the movie.

What alien race could travel all the way to earth, amass armada's above every major city, and then have to spray some smokey shit out of their claw to kill us?

Aliens are allowed to be mysterious but in this case I think they were mysterious because the writer/director didn't have a clue what he was doing except to build an outrageous plot on top of people's nartural curiousity of the crop circle phenomenon.

Swing away!
Rating: 3/10
Zvenn Eaglefist
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Zvenn Eaglefist »

i havent seen it yet but i hear its great and cant wait to see it myself
Sensei Zvenn
formerly the 65th Transcendent of the Celestial Tomb...currently retired

<embed src="http://www.webspawner.com/users/veeshan/whoopass.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="120" height="90"></embed>
Aaeamdar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aaeamdar »

I thought this may very well be one of the best alien invasion movies of all time. Can't comment too much without giving things away which are best experienced by the audience. The main characters were understated and reacted to their extraordinary circumstances in a manner that was very believable. As he has stepped out of pure fantasy and into science fiction, there are some technical flaws that have to be overlooked, but I none-the-less loved it the first time and am very much looking forward to purchasing the DVD, as the extra material on Sixth Sense and Unbreakable DVDs were fantastic.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Btw, this gave me nightmares last night. Blah. I haven't had those in years. That whole "someone's in the house" deal.

Anyway, Sam's Club has Unbreakable and 6th Sense in a 2 pack for 24.99 right now. Good deal there, IMO.
Venti
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Venti »

Saw it,

While some scenes had good suspense factor, the movie in general was a let down.

EDIT: Removed spoiler info.

"Oh shit, we're over budget, and against a deadline..we need an ending FAST"
~Venti
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I watched it last night. Loved it.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

I still don't get why those big ass aliens could not open locked doors. Fill me in, I must have missed it.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It wasn't explained in the film. Personally, I am glad to see a movie that dosen't spoon feed everything to the watcher and instead let's the imagination take over. It's also refreshing to see a good horror flick that had no blood, but at the same time was frightening in a much different way.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

The movie had lots of room to go on tangents but stayed on course. I am glad that it didn't try for that ID4 style. The characters were believable and enjoyable to watch.
Sithe
No Stars!

Post by Sithe »

I saw this movie over the weekend with 3 other people. We all loved it! I wasn't expecting to like this movie this much...and the comedy in it was also a big surprise. Millie's review on the FOH board is right on...though I'd give it an A instead of B+.
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

Nice review Mille...

and isn't it "Unwatchable" instead of Unbreakable?
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

OMG, Signs was teh suck!

I kept wondering exactly what Krimson said....

...along with a couple of other really big "What the fuck?"s....

Lame. Ass. Movie. And I generally *like* good sci-fi/suspense.
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

IM GONNA GIVE AWAY A SPOILER!

this movie really did a tremendous job of working up to the climax only to fail utterly in the end.

I am not even saying with regard to any premonitions characters may have had, and pieces "fitting together". I can accept that within the context of this movie , and i was ready to buy that.

But an alien race that has the technology for interstellar travel somehow lacks the technology to break through boarded up windows and pantry doors. They somehow neglected to note in their scouting of this planet that 75% of it is covered with water, a substance that often falls from the sky. Did anybody notice how overcast it was in Mexico City where they were raiding some people? looked like it was gonna rain to me. oh by the way, these aliens are hurt by water. THAT IS FUCKING RETARDED. Wicked Witch of the West, OK i'll let that slide, but not this.

#1. it is impossible for biological systems to exist in the absence of water, regardless of planet of origin.

#2. a race that can make kickass space ships should be able to make wetsuits

#3. You can't breath Oxygen if you are alergic to water! WHAT THE FUCK! H20 is necessary bi-product of oxidative respiration. As protons are generated to create the bioelectric potential to generate massive amounts of ATP (Electron Transport Chain), they must be converted into a non-acidic form with some degree of swiftness. This is where gaseous oxygen comes in. It is combined with the loose protons (H+) to form H20, or water.

Sorry if that seems like a really didactic criticism, but it is such a stupid premise, that i just couldn't accept it.

I could have let them get away with the whole "swing away thing" and his restoration of faith and all that. it may have been a bit contrived, but i was willing to bite. but the aliens were so impotent it was absurd. they found the only farm in central pennsylvania without guns to raid as well, hehe.

these aliens were so implausible they belonged in a 1950s sci-fi movie, not a modern one, that was supposed to be relatively realistic.

the mixture of suspenssful elements with humour was excellent. the pacing of the movie was great, just wish the ending lived up to the buildup. I thought Jouquin Phoenix was great. Cracked me up with the foil hats with the other kids.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I couldn't agree more Voronwe. Actually, when they walked out of the basement and up the stairs and there were little star shapes and shit in the curtains, I started laughing so hard I had to get up and leave the theatre. But yeah, overall was good, but I could not believe how bad they crapped up the ending to this movie. If you have not seen this movie, I would wait to download it when available, or wait to rent it so you don't get so pissed that you spend 8 dollars to see the worst ending in a while to any movie.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I kind of disagree. I refuse to give in to the perception or stereotype that just because they are capable of instellar travel that they are somehow superior in all regards. We can fly to the moon sure, but if you put an astronaut in a locked and barricaded pantry, he isn't getting out until someone lets him out. These aliens had an adverse reaction to water, who's to say that they understand what wood is or if they even have trees on their planet.

I will grant you this though. After all the planning and other bullshit to actually make a freaking landing and raid you'd think they would have done a bit better. Well, they may be intelligent but that doesn't mean they have common sense.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

environmental suits are not something you discover AFTER you build starships.
Zvenn Eaglefist
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Zvenn Eaglefist »

/agree voronwe after i have seen it now its kinda funny actually
Sensei Zvenn
formerly the 65th Transcendent of the Celestial Tomb...currently retired

<embed src="http://www.webspawner.com/users/veeshan/whoopass.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="120" height="90"></embed>
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Maybe the concept of environmental suits or wearing something on your body to protect it doesn't even occur to them. They could have evolved in an environment where they had no basis with which to go by regarding wearing things over your skin.

I thought it was a tad contrived and ID4-ish as well, but it didn't bother me to the point where I couldn't get passed it. It's kind of stupid that they picked a planet that's mostly water but maybe they were desperate.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

you need to develope space suits in combination with developing space ships.

anyways, it is arguing a fine point, but i personally thought it was dumb.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

you don't need space suits if you are one fucked up vaccum breathing mother fucker that is made of peanut butter and cock and can take sub zero temperatures without a flinch!!!
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

So, Searyx's mom, then? :twisted:
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Humans need to develop space suits to go along with space travel. Who's to say an alien race would? Perhaps they can hold their breath for un-natural lengths of time, and maybe their skin is immune to UV Radition that would normally fry a human up in space.

Use your imagination, people. It's a movie, not a fucking scientific documentary.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

this movie wasn't supposed to be fantastic. all of the setting elements are specifically basic. very normal sequences of events fit together to point to a particular outcome. the entire point of the movie (perhaps) is that it doesn't require massive leaps of imagination and hand waiving to come to world view. the same should be the case for the bad guys. they should "fit" in with reality as well, at least be somewhat plausible.

if the movie you are trying to make is just some kind of shoot-em up scifi thing, then obviously who gives a fuck. but that isnt what this movie was attempting to do.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Alien: Oh no, sub-commander! The humans barricaded the tunnel with not one bag of dogfood, but TWO! WHAT DO WE DO?!

Sub-commander: These humans outwit us at every turn, retreat!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I have a friend who upon seeing ID4 attempted to determine the gravitational pull of the mothership. The mothership being 1/4 the size of the moon as was stated in the movie would have caused major damage by disrupting the tides and tetonics of the earth's crust, not to mention really fucking with the moon. My friend is a math freak besides being a bit paranoid about the government and stuff. But the point I am trying to make is that if you analyze a movie too much you take the enjoyment and imagination out of it thus making it no longer any fun.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

your statement assumes imagination went into it in the first place :P
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

My friend Guido likened the end of this movie to the Simpson's episode where Kang and Kodos try to conquer the earth by revealing their crowning technological achievement: Pong.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Pretty unfair comparision simply becasue everything in life can be compared to a Simpsons episode...
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

"Simpson's" did it! "Simpson's" did it!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt