Nice site with lots of good quotes

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Nice site with lots of good quotes

Post by Brotha »

I stumbled onto this the other day when I was looking for some good quotes. I'm a sucker for good quotes and this site has a ton of them, thought I'd share it.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/quotes.html

Some of my favorites:

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)

"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact."
- George Eliot (1819-1880)

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true."
- James Branch Cabell

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

"Somewhere on this globe, every ten seconds, there is a woman giving
birth to a child. She must be found and stopped."
-- Sam Levenson (1911-1980)
Bujinkan is teh win!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

5 of those people all had speech writers.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

so?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

so if I tell you to say something profound and smart and you say it, does that make you profound and smart? if you quoted some random speechwriter of saying that, would it have gone down in history?

you could actually sort of turn this into a whole treatise on famous people (usually politicians) getting credit where credit is not due.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Well, give them some credit, they had the sense to HIRE those speechwriters.............

yea.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

The Dao:
Zhuang Zi wrote:I received life because the time had come. I will lose it because the order of things passes on. Be content with this time and dwell in this order, and then neither sorrow nor joy can touch you....The inaction of heaven is its purity; the inaction of earth is its peace....How do I know that loving life is not a delusion? How do I know that in hating death I am not like a man who, having left home in his youth, has forgotten the way back?...Man's life between heaven and earth is like the passing of a white colt glimpsed through a crack in the wall: whoosh!, and that's the end.
from the [i]Dae de Jing[/i] wrote:We put thirty spokes together and call it a wheel;
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the wheel depends.
We turn clay to make a vessel;
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the vessel depends.
We pierce doors and windows to make a house,
And it is on those spaces where there is nothing that the usefulness of the house depends.
Therefore just as we take advantage of what is,
we should recognize the usefulness of what is not.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neost »

But these quotes are attributed to the noted speaker. All of those men are noted for their accomplishments that lend credence to them being profound and smart.

How many of their speechwriters are known for anything? Their accomplishments are their credentials and history remembers them for their deeds and words.

Do you find it so hard to accept the majority view on anything at all, Kyo? Just a question, not intended as a barb.
Fesuni Chopsui
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fesuni Chopsui »

Yer avatar scares me Vet :oops:
Quietly Retired From EQ In Greater Faydark
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

5 of those people all had speech writers.
That fucking Plato.. I knew he was a fraud.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Souldinkou Soulfury
No Stars!

Post by Souldinkou Soulfury »

:vv_hyper: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein
The best quote ever.
emmer
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by emmer »

I just KNEW The Republic was plagiarized!

HE PROBLY GOT IT OFF SPARKNOTES
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

So pwn.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

The only time I quote anything is if its obscure meaningless song lyrics, a kind of anti-quote. Quotes are the bumber stickers of the net and about as useful. If I have something to say, I say it. I don't need to use some 20 word quip by Ben Franklin or Vince Lombardi in my sig to make me look intelligent.

(pssst it doesn't make you look intelligent.)
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

My avatar is intelligent!.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neost »

The only time I quote anything is if its obscure meaningless song lyrics, a kind of anti-quote. Quotes are the bumber stickers of the net and about as useful. If I have something to say, I say it. I don't need to use some 20 word quip by Ben Franklin or Vince Lombardi in my sig to make me look intelligent.

I think you miss the intent of most sigs/taglines. In most cases, it's not an attempt to show how intelligent an individual is, it's to add a bit of something that they identify with. I can't imagine anyone creating a sig, especially quoting someone else, and thought "Gee, that makes me sound intelligent". It's just an added bit of fun and I for one enjoy reading the quotes people put in their signatures. Except for obscure song lyrics :lol:
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Neost wrote:

I think you miss the intent of most sigs/taglines. In most cases, it's not an attempt to show how intelligent an individual is, it's to add a bit of something that they identify with. I can't imagine anyone creating a sig, especially quoting someone else, and thought "Gee, that makes me sound intelligent". It's just an added bit of fun and I for one enjoy reading the quotes people put in their signatures. Except for obscure song lyrics :lol:
Thats why i called it an anti-quote tard. I can't think of anything more insipid to read than a bunch of stale quotes...well maybe your posts. At best they are self-indulgent attempts to say this is what they think ("identify" with as you say) but are too obtuse to say anything original, and think that people really give a shit anyway.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Jaxomer
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jaxomer »

"It is better to have loved and lost, than to have paid for it and not liked it." -Unknown
Keepers of the Elements
|Jaxomer|Memsi|