Social Security Number Issues again

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Social Security Number Issues again

Post by Tyek »

About 20 years ago I have my social security number stolen. I tracked down every address listed (mostly PO Boxes) and left notes about how I was watching the boxes. How I would call the cops if they showed up. I would threaten to sneak up behind them when they opened their PO boxes and punch them out (I was young, I know it sounds stupid now). I even showed up at an apartment complex that had cable under my social security number, talked to the manager and threatened to call the cops on everyone. I filed the police reports, but they did not seem to give a crap. They told me I was not the victim, the credit card and cable companies were.

All that harassing worked. The person stopped using the number. Until this week. I had my taxes done and when they tried to e-file it said I had already filed. They tried multiple times and it would not file. I signed up for identity Guard and looked. No activity. I looked at my few cards and no activity.

My company recently switched company credit cards and doing expenses, I see 2 charges for some Green World Consulting. Interesting since I am in the Power Industry, but nothing I charged. Not sure if the 2 things are related, but all this boring stuff leads to my main question.

Why file a tax return on a social security number if it is not yours and you stole it? I don't see any reason. Does anyone know? I am really curious. I have to fill out a bunch of paperwork now to show it is me and the correct return is mine. Any insight would be helpful.

On the plus side, company is buying lots of other companies and we have been traveling a lot for training, so they did our reviews on teleconference. Pretty great to be sitting in a golf shirt, but with shorts on and getting a great review and raise!!
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Social Security Number Issues again

Post by Funkmasterr »

Well, the obvious answer would be if you're getting money back, they want it. If they're conducting transactions with an alternative energy company I'd be curious what they filed; did they try and go for one of the big credits for alternative energy stuff? That's exactly the situation my accountant told me about happening to another client of his; someone filed and got like a $40k tax return (he had just installed a bunch of solar and stuff and so he qualified for the big credits). The guy eventually got it straightened out, but it took the better part of the year for that to happen.

I hope it's nothing that bad for you and you get it sorted out quick.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Funkmasterr wrote:Well, the obvious answer would be if you're getting money back, they want it. If they're conducting transactions with an alternative energy company I'd be curious what they filed; did they try and go for one of the big credits for alternative energy stuff? That's exactly the situation my accountant told me about happening to another client of his; someone filed and got like a $40k tax return (he had just installed a bunch of solar and stuff and so he qualified for the big credits). The guy eventually got it straightened out, but it took the better part of the year for that to happen.

I hope it's nothing that bad for you and you get it sorted out quick.
Thanks Funk, we put solar in several years ago. As far as getting money back, that ship sailed long ago. We had to pay 6k last year and this year I am getting back 150 dollars, even after they took 46% of my bonuses. We are not at the Obama "rich" level, but we get hit with the Alternative Measure Tax, so I don't see the value. I asked my tax guy if we can get a copy of my "tax return" since it is mine. I am curious what they filed. We will see.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Just because they filed as if they were you does not mean they used your numbers. They might have "qualified" for a much larger refund based on whatever cooked-up numbers they put on the forms.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Boogahz wrote:Just because they filed as if they were you does not mean they used your numbers. They might have "qualified" for a much larger refund based on whatever cooked-up numbers they put on the forms.
Yeah, I figured. I have asked if we can see the return. I have to fill out the 14039 form now and mail the form in with a copy of my license. Hopefully we can see their return and I can notify the bank they used that the account is held by a criminal.

I will have to go to the IRS location I think. My tax guy says they file early to try and claim any withholdings.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, assholes
:vv_brick: