Oh the PAIN!

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Oh the PAIN!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

So I woke up really early on Saturday morning. I normally like to sleep in until about 9am if possible (kids often make it impossible) but this morning I woke about 7am with a nagging pain in my lower back on the right side. I thought it might be from working out or something but I couldn't sleep so I got up and did my normal daily routine. The pain was getting worse and it got to the point where I felt like I was going to puke. Not long after that I did infact puke my guts out.

I had the wife take me to the emergency room after dropping off the kids are her parents. I knew what it was before any of the tests were done...I was pregnant! NO Wait that's not right. I meant to say I had a kidney stone. Not just one but two kidney stones. They put me in a gown and carted me off to get a cat scan to get pictures. I'm claustrophobic as it is and being pushed into that narrow tunnel that sounds like a turbine engine was not much fun for me.

They say that a stone that is 1mm-5mm can be passed normally. Lucky me. The first stone is 7mm and they didn't tell me the size of the other one. I'll be seeing the doctor tomorrow to find out what is next. I am on all kinds of fun drugs right now until I get things fixed. They'll probably sonic boom the stones so they can be passed normally. At least that is what I am hoping.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Oh the PAIN!

Post by Winnow »

Ug that sucks Bubba. What's worse? The Packers losing or the kidney stones?

Stay hydrated!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

That's a toss up.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

If you're really unlucky they'll snake a laser up your willy and nuke them manually!
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

And they say men don't know the pain of childbirth.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Men don't know the pain of childbirth. Some men do know the pain of passing a kidney stone, though.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Don't pay those exorbitant hospital fees...buy a 18" driver speaker and lay on top of it while playing Black Sabbath...sound wave blast that stone to (7) 1mm stones!

Or, hope it goes well with the hospital sound wave blasting they will undoubtedly try first.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Sorry Bubba, good luck.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Well I went Wednesday night to get the one stone nuked. There are two but this one was in the tube so it had to go first. The second will be done at a later point. I was supposed to have this done at 5 pm but they didn't do it until 8. 3 hours of watching home improvement tv. So I got home around 11 and just crashed. Luckily I can work from home during this. There is a hose in my hose to help the fragments find their way out. I feel like my berries have been smashed with a hammer and my side feels like I was kicked by a camel. When I piss it feels like the stream is so strong that it is pulling the kidney with it. I guess the hose they put in is attached and is tugging on the kidney. So every piss is a new adventure in pain. Other than that though life is peachy.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

That was physically painful to read.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

On Wednesday the 20th I went in to have the second stone nuked. This time was a whole lot worse than the first time. Today I still feel as if I had been beaten around the head and neck. I guess that is from the breathing tube they put in while you are out. They also removed the stint that was there from the first one and replaced it with a different one. Only this time there were strings hanging out the end of my whozywhatzit. They told me that I could remove it myself on Friday.

This was quite the new experience for me. This thing was driving me crazy. I could barely move without feeling discomfort. So last night I opted to take it out. The doctor had told my wife she could take it out if she wanted. I have to question this man's foreplay techniques. So I stood over the toilet and took hold of the two strings that were dangling there and then I slowly started to pull. Picture the carnival clown or the magician with the scarves they pull out of their pocket that never seems to end. That is what this was like. I pulled maybe 8 inches of string out before getting to the tube. Then pulling the tube out my arms were fully extended and I had to start pulling from the tube instead of the strings. When it finally came out there was a huge feeling of relief. This thing was 18 inches long. Yes I measured it. I don't wish this on anyone.

So I took it out early and now I feel very much better and I am also pissing gravel into the toilet. Total success except for the body aches and pain. I think they dropped me moving from one bed to the other. Who knows.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I wish I had kidney stones...

May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Screw loose?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Nah, it's just straight into the bone where there's a spiral fracture to help keep that together...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You'll make a great anthropological find some day when the next wave of human civilization rises after the apocalypse, tries to determine how much we knew about medicine.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:You'll make a great anthropological find some day when the next wave of human civilization rises after the apocalypse, tries to determine how much we knew about medicine.
I don't get it.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Common break, won't heal without HW upgrades :)
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I feel your pain.

I am up to 12 surgeries on the legs and 18 total on my body. Last one caused major nerve damage.

The wife decided she loves soccer now and I coach, so she had me teach her and told me she wants to play on a coed team. Here I am with rebuilt legs, 43 years old playing 18-25 year olds. I recently had an MRI on my "good" foot. I have every form of tendinitis in my "good" foot including Plantar Fasciitis and flexor digitalis tendons that are triple the normal size. Unfortunately, the pain in my bad foot is so bad that I don't feel it. I just saw Pau Gasol is out for the season with that injury and my bad foot hurts so bad I don't even know that I have that injury.

I am going to have the nerve in my foot shut down for a couple weeks soon to see if that relieves part of the pain, the arthritis and sinus tarsi symptoms are going to still be there but if this works they will sever the nerve and it will cut the pain in half.

I know I should not be playing, but as my doctor said, my foot is so far gone I can't really do more damage, the knee is still bad and I popped my ACI open, but that is just a little loose cartilage floating around. They can clean that up and resew the ACI. I just decided I am not going to let the pain rule my life. I have another couple years left of soccer with the wife, plus softball and hiking longer term. If I can play with kids young enough to be my own kids on legs as bad as mine are and still play shutdown defense and score 9 or 10 goals I might as well go for it. We are considering moving to the Over 40 league though to slow things down a bit.

I wish you the best on your leg, getting hurt sucks, and Bubba, I cannot imagine the pain you are going through. I hope things get better soon for both of you.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

My pain was only temporary. I am feeling much better already though I am still pissing gravel I don't see any problems in the near future. You get to deal with pain on a regular basis. I feel more for your situation. I hope things get better for you.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

You're the man my mother told me about as a kid that has it so much worse, Tyek.

I hope the nerve knackering works!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'm fit as a fucking stallion. Never broke a bone in my life or had surgery!

My wife had cancer when she was a child and had her thyroid removed. That sounded like hell, especially through the eyes of a child. Her parents telling her she had cancer was only one of two times she saw her dad cry and it terrified her. (The second was when her mother died).
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Wow Fair, that would be hard. I could not imagine that.

As bad as I have it, I see people in physical therapy that have it so much worse. I try not to let it beat me. I am sure one day it will, but I will put up a hell of a fight.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Medical Marijuana? Beats the shit out of narcotics. Not as potent but may help ease things a bit.

I start pt this week for my anterosuperior labrum tear(shoulder). Not too bad considering some of these posts, but it is a bitch having my dominant arm in pain. I think I am more sore over my shitty pp, however. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Tyek wrote:I see people in physical therapy that have it so much worse.
Can't imagine pissing gravel or our situation, ouch. Was treated at a cancer center a few year ago. Not for cancer, they just had the machine to treat me.

All the cheerful people there amazed me, sicker than a dog from chemicals happily chatting away as they sat around, watched TV and had this week's dose of poison pumped into them.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Well, here we go again.Got a cortizone shot in the knee again. New cartilage is wearing out and pieces floating around in the knee. Nerve damage in ankle has led to me scheduling surgery 13 in November. Thy are going to sever my Sural Nerve. i may try and have them clean the knee up the same day. This shit is getting OLD.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Tyek wrote:Well, here we go again.Got a cortizone shot in the knee again. New cartilage is wearing out and pieces floating around in the knee. Nerve damage in ankle has led to me scheduling surgery 13 in November. Thy are going to sever my Sural Nerve. i may try and have them clean the knee up the same day. This shit is getting OLD.
Tuesday I am having the nerve severed in my foot, the scar tissue cleaned up and he is going to clean up the ankle. Tomorrow I am going to find out how extensive the work they will do on my knee is. Apparently the cartilage they replaced is breaking up and my ligaments were not good. sigh
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Good luck, sir.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Zaelath wrote:Good luck, sir.
Thanks, hard part is I have to coach my team in a tournament this weekend.

I am dreading it, but excited. The girls are playing strong. We are getting everyone back for the season ending tournament, so hopefully I can manage pain well and enjoy it and still coach ok.

Weird week, had to go to Costa Rica on Saturday night last week because my ex-sister in law died falling down stairs and mom and I went to help my brother with his kids. 2 days back and surgery.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Well, unfortunately I survived.

I had 2 surgeries the same day. I had the knee done. I found out both ACL's are gone. MCL and PCL on right knee gone. I had the cartilage floating around in there removed and the torn ones trimmed.

Sad thing is my ankle is so bad I did not feel most of that. I had the Sural nerve severed in my foot and the scar tissue removed. I also had a growth in my sinus tarsi area that was really really painful. They removed that.

I finally ended my Bret Farve status of retiring and coming back and will not play soccer anymore. I will continue to coach the girls for a couple more years, but I am just buying time until knee replacements now.

ohh well.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

add neuropathy to my list of issues, i would not wish nerve damage on anyone. I had the nerve severed above the ankle, but apparantly the damage affected the sural nerve and other nerves in rhe area and has branched out.

I get to enjoy a plethora of medicines and pain the rest of my life. Lucky me.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Probably not the rest of your life. At the rate neural regeneration and machine miniaturization are proceeding, you'll be a prime guinea pig candidate for nerve regeneration therapy.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

masteen wrote:Probably not the rest of your life. At the rate neural regeneration and machine miniaturization are proceeding, you'll be a prime guinea pig candidate for nerve regeneration therapy.

Apparently I have CRPS, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_ ... n_syndrome which is a brutal condition. It is also affecting the knees. Had to get yet another cortizone shot in the knee last werk and my strength is plummeting on that leg. Lots of days I am up at 3:30 in the morning due to pain. So I am open to any ideas at this point, including experimental. my leg does not get swollen to the extent on the links photos though.

Doctor has me on a group of pills to maintain function. Soma, Baclofen, percocet, gabapentin and it helps at times. I refuse to give up the ghost but I will admit, some days I am driving and the pain is almost so bad that I consider turning tnto the center divide and crashing into the wall.I won't do it, too much to live for. Seems trivial when people are dying of cancer, but it wears you down so much. They even told me it will make my eventual knee replacement harder due to nerve and muscle damage. It is such a strange experience when it suddenly feels like my heel broke, followed by a burning feeling in my calf. Then later it feels like worms moving around under the skin. I break out in sweats and get nauseous.

On the plus side, the girls I coach continue to win. 5-1-1 in league heading into game vs San Diego today and we received our first scholarship. We have several others getting looks and consideration and since most are very low income, I think I can get about half the team placed on campuses in the next 2 years due to soccer. The coaches love a great player tat cost them nothing and they can help the kids with the proper paperwork. 2 more years of beating myself up and I can officially retire from that side of my life.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Big appointment tomorrow. Will see if I have somehow gotten Diabetes which could have caused the Issues with the nerve. I am in decent shape, so hoping it is not that, but I know diabetes is not just about weight. I will also get final word on if I have CRPS. Wish me luck please. I need it.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I will stop posting about this after this last post, I am sorry to whine so much. I just am frustrated and saddened.

I have been told yes it is CRPS. It is going to affect me the rest of my life. It also leads a lot of people to suicide because of the pain. If anyone has any history of this let me know. I would appreciate their insight. I am reading up as much as I can. Lots of stuff on Reddit and medical journals. Apparently Ketamine has been effective, but is VERY expensive. They say CRPS can reach a level 42 on the McGill pain scale. This is higher then amputation, childbirth and other extremely painful things. There is no cure and nothing you can really do. I get very little sleep anymore (last night 1 hour, Saturday 2 1/2) and they have me on so many pills it is crazy. I was told not to worry about what others say about prescription pills. I have to take Percocet 4 times a day, PLUS occasionally more for breakthrough pain, plus SOMA, Baclofen and some new muscle relaxer they gave me last night. All I think is everyone is watching me and thinking I am addicted. I coach kids and feel like I cannot take pills in the open because it would be frowned upon.

The Doctor told me they watch the pills and I show no signs of addiction. I am successful at work, with the kids and with my team. It is hard though when you try and show the girls a play and then your leg fights you, collapses and causes excruciating pain. The girls are so supportive, yelling at me to sit, rest, but the fact is none of those things affects my condition. My nervous system is destroying me. It spread to my peroneal nerve and will probably continue to worsen. Some days I am out driving and feel like I could just turn, hit the center divide and end it all, but my family is too important for me to do that.

Add to that a vicious arthritis that already has eaten the new cartilage they planted in my knee 7 years ago and I just am TIRED...felt like I could vent since we have all been on this site for so long. Never met any of you, but I feel like I know some of your personalities pretty well. Thanks for letting me ramble and rant. It did help if only for a few minutes.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Don't stop posting! Best of luck as always m8
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Enjoy every day the best you can Tyek. I'd say all of us, especially the older in age group here, understand that one's health can turn for the worse at any time and, next to Alzheimer's, fear a painful affliction the worst. Stay hopeful and active on support forums and medical research forums. Wish you the best.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I appreciate the kind words. I just needed a place to vent. I know it gets tiring hearing about peoples issues. That is why I won't post about it anymore. I refuse to give up. I hiked 42 miles over 4 days on my anniversary. (Usually meant possibly throwing up after, from the pain, when you come down from the adrenaline) I also am playing golf occasionally for work, but they told me I have to start dialing this stuff down and I don't want to.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Are you able to bike?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Sorry, did not see this question. Yes, I can bike. The main problems I have are nerve related. Some days I can use the elliptical, some days the bike, some days nothing at all. I just try and balance.
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Gotta love getting old. I get to have right hip replacement after the new year. Who knew EQ would be so damaging to the body in our teens?!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Raistin wrote:Gotta love getting old. I get to have right hip replacement after the new year. Who knew EQ would be so damaging to the body in our teens?!
Damn, sorry man. That sucks.

Hope all goes ok.

This CRPS/Arthritic knee combo is brutal. The arthritis has already eaten through the new cartilage they put in 5-6 years ago.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

We'd all be dead already if we lived more than a hundred and fifty year ago so at least that's something positive!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

'Off switch' for pain discovered: Activating the adenosine A3 receptor subtype is key to powerful pain relief

A way to block a pain pathway in animal models of chronic neuropathic pain has been discovered by researchers, suggesting a promising new approach to pain relief.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 132639.htm

hopefully good news for chronic pain sufferers
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

that would be huge for me. Facing a life of pain medication, this would be welcome instead. My brother sent his kids to us from Costa Rica, we have gone to Disneyland, California Adventures, Knotts, and Universal. Been to the Thoroughbred Xmas lights and other things and I coached. As a result I have massive swelling in the knee. several nights of 2 hours sleep and horrible nerve pain. i am on bed rest now. I would LOVE to be able to function normal again. I know the pain is there for a reason. i know there is more cartilage loose in my knee again and the swelling is telling me something, but just a single day without pain would be a treat. A single day wiuld be heaven.