Math application

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Math application

Post by Funkmasterr »

So I decided I'm finally going to do the college thing. I'm going to get my degree in physics.

I want to get brushed up on math before I take a placement test. I'm hoping to test well enough to start in intermediate algebra. I am fine with the basics, basically anything up to algebra, but I want to find some kind of computer program/website to try and re teach myself whatever I can over the next couple months.

Has anyone used something like this that may have a suggestion?
Larst
No Stars!

Re: Math application

Post by Larst »

I watched a couple GMAT prep videos on http://www.khanacademy.org/ and they were pretty well done. There are TONS of math topics (would have been nice to have some Discrete Math coverage when I was taking it though :( ). Good luck with your math prep dude.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

At intermediate algebra level you won't be able to apply most physics theory. I would get Safari and storm through algebra, trig, and get through calculus with the goal of testing out of one or two classes next semester. Physics is really fun once you get to quantum theory.

Make sure you do all the practice problems.

Good luck. :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Check Itunes U for online courses if you have an iPad!
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Khan academy is the bomb. You don't need any other resources to brush up on your skills and learn things completely from scratch.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Thanks all! I'll check those suggestions out and see what I can do.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Math is something that always makes me frustrated. I just have a hard time 'getting it' like some people. I'm not sure if more practice or whatever would help. I made it through Calc 2 (barely) but that was about it. And my brain has pretty much forgotten everything I learned.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fuck math right in the goddamn ear. Seriously.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

<3 Math
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I ended up testing out of reading/writing entirely, and placed in intermediate algebra. I finished that class a few weeks back with around 105%, so far so good.

What I'm trying to decide is which class/es to try and test out of, the classes I have to get through in my first two years (before I transfer to the U of M) are:
Intermediate Algebra 2
College Algebra
Trig
Calculus
Calculus 2

I'm thinking maybe college algebra is the one to try and test out of, from what I hear you don't learn as many new concepts in that class, it's just using stuff you already know in new ways. That being said, I want to make sure I really understand this stuff as it's going to be the foundation for what I intend to do for a living.

Also, the school I'm attending offers a pre-calc class that combines college algebra and trig. I've had some people tell me to take this instead of both if I'm comfortable, and others have told me to take college algebra then pre calc. Anyone have any experience with these combo type classes at that level? I'm going to ask a counselor at the school, just haven't gotten to it yet.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I had a 10 year break between high school (ubergeek level) math and uni math, and found calculus to be a _major_ pain in the ass to get my head around again.

I would suspect Intermediate Algebra is a breeze, but I would guess College Algebra is going to have matricies which will take a while to get a handle on.

Can't speak to uni level Trig. Physics was a ball though :)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I'm thinking maybe college algebra is the one to try and test out of, from what I hear you don't learn as many new concepts in that class, it's just using stuff you already know in new ways. That being said, I want to make sure I really understand this stuff as it's going to be the foundation for what I intend to do for a living.
College Algebra will provide useful concepts that will ease your brain into really understanding Riemann Sums and other foundations of calculus. I wouldn't skimp on the studies for this one.

In your situation, I would try to test out of trig. You can (relatively quickly) get to a certain plateau of (non-calculus) trig knowledge, at which point you basically know all that there is to know, or can at least infer the important concepts. What I mean is - you probably won't need an entire semester to learn trig if you're truly dedicated to your self-studies. From there, trig extends deep into Calculus, where its application is much more intricate (and enjoyable).

Calc 1 can be a bitch until you get into integration. Calc 2 is like a victory lap. Calc 3 is punishment for those who didn't give enough fucks.

And then there's diff eq... /shudder
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Spang wrote:Fuck math right in the goddamn ear. Seriously.
what a surprising comment from the master of logic. Did not expect that WG
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Leonaerd wrote:
College Algebra will provide useful concepts that will ease your brain into really understanding Riemann Sums and other foundations of calculus. I wouldn't skimp on the studies for this one.

In your situation, I would try to test out of trig. You can (relatively quickly) get to a certain plateau of (non-calculus) trig knowledge, at which point you basically know all that there is to know, or can at least infer the important concepts. What I mean is - you probably won't need an entire semester to learn trig if you're truly dedicated to your self-studies. From there, trig extends deep into Calculus, where its application is much more intricate (and enjoyable).

Calc 1 can be a bitch until you get into integration. Calc 2 is like a victory lap. Calc 3 is punishment for those who didn't give enough fucks.

And then there's diff eq... /shudder
Makes sense, thanks. And why the shudder? I have to take that class :(
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

because -
[Show]
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!