Lawn Resurrection

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Lawn Resurrection

Post by Canelek »

So the former owner of my house let the back lawn go to pot a bit. Looks like it used to be sod--can't say on what type of grass since I have not done any real landscaping for about 20 years.

So, my lawn is silly with dandelions and crabgrass. I bought some Ortho Weed-B-Gone in the hose-attach deployment method and deployed it after I mowed.

Any tips? I really do not want to tear the yard out unless I absolutely have to--I already have a giant list of things I need to do.

Thanks!
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Lawn Resurrection

Post by Fairweather Pure »

My yard is pretty shit right now too. The former owner had lawn service and the yard was absolutely beautiful 6 years ago. I take care of everything myself. The problem is that my time is limited, so if it is raining/wet during my free time, I have to mow or rake the leaves later. Now, I'm not white trashy or anything, and my wife mows and works in the yard as well, but the real problem is fall and spring clean up. Right now I have heavy, wet leaves covering up large portions of my yard and it is not doing the grass underneath any favors. That happened because we had such a rainy fall, and when winter came it stayed.

Furthermore, and this lends itself to your situation, I have moles. Those things burrow and soften the ground up really bad. It sounds like what you are describing. My solution is killing the grubs in the soil that the moles go after. That's what my neighbor did anyway, and it worked for him.

My only advice is that if you're seeding new grass, don't just seed the bare spots, do the whole fucking yard because you don't want different grasses growing at different lengths, at different times, and at different colors. Your entire yard will look spotty like it has mange. You can take in soil samples to Lowes (double check I got that right before doing it please) and they will tell you what specific grass seed and fertilizer you require.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Glad I don't have moles! I understand about the weather. We get 40" annually from October-May/June. It was 65 today so the air was filled with the sounds of lawn care. 70 tomorrow and I will be clearing out the planters for a garden.

As far as grass seed, good call on Lowes--I didn't consider that. You are correct on the seed distribution, especially with fairly uniform older sod. My only real issue I think is the perennial crabgrass, clover and dandelions. Hopefully the chemicals will help get the weeds under control.
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I'd be tempted to go with NexTurf or something simliar :P But I'm no fan of yardwork.

With or withouth that, the more yard you can tear up and put under rock/bark garden the better. If you buy the right plants it's very low maintenance and you have less to water/mow.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

The two A's: Asphalt and Astroturf :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Zaelath wrote:I'd be tempted to go with NexTurf or something simliar :P But I'm no fan of yardwork.

With or withouth that, the more yard you can tear up and put under rock/bark garden the better. If you buy the right plants it's very low maintenance and you have less to water/mow.
I've gotten to the point that I actually like working in the yard, but I hate hate hate grass.

We had a lawn service for the first couple of years after we moved into this house. I stopped the service last summer over concerns about the chemicals. It's amazing how fast dandelions, clover and other random weeds have invaded the formerly weed-free lawn. I don't plan on doing anything about it, though. As long as it's cut regularly, it doesn't look bad and I won't care about it when I can't water it while we're under drought restrictions later in the year. Since we've been here, I've eliminated about 2/3 of the grass in the front lawn, replacing it with shrubs, flower beds and ground cover (English ivy). This year, my big project is the back yard, and I'll be reducing about 1/3 of the grass area with new garden beds at the back of the lot, and a new border around the fence we had installed last fall. I recently planted 2 oaks and 2 maples in the back that will be between the house and where the garden beds will be. Ultimately, we're going to work a new flag stone or brick paver patio with a pergola into the mix that will take my turf reduction in the back closer to 1/2, but that will probably wait until next year.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

desert landscaping

no worries!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Winnow wrote:desert landscaping

no worries!
Lol! No doubt in the desert! Rocks and cacti. :)

Front yard and sides are bark/decorative grass/shrubs so I have it easy.

I agree on removing turf portions, and I will be doing just that for saplings/shrubs.

70 today in Portland and sunny!
en kærlighed småkager
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

St. Augustine will choke out pretty much 99% of any weeds that try to sprout up, but it takes it a while to get going after each winter. Once mid-summer rolls around though, I hardly ever see any weeds in our yard.

I don't know if that is a grass that will grow in Portland, though. I really don't know much about it, other than it is terribly brutal with weeds. :)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I don't think that grass would survive the winters here. More options in the southern US! :)
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Fairweather Pure wrote:My yard is pretty shit right now too. The former owner had lawn service and the yard was absolutely beautiful 6 years ago. I take care of everything myself. The problem is that my time is limited, so if it is raining/wet during my free time, I have to mow or rake the leaves later.
:vv_yeahthat:
- Ash
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Canelek wrote:
Winnow wrote:desert landscaping

no worries!
Lol! No doubt in the desert! Rocks and cacti. :)
You'd be surprised... I get to spend my weekend digging up half my yard to figure out where the fuck the giant leak in my sprinkler system is.
I've got fucking ground squirrels chewing the shit out of everything.

THIS IS ARIZONA WHY CAN'T I SHOOT THEM IN MY OWN YARD DAMNIT
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

They aren't hispanic?
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

deys turkin our jerbs!!11
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Although there are some thin spots, the lawn is looking pretty fucking good! Now to design pavers and planters.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

stragi!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

hay hay hay

richard it's time to give us more pictures of your progress!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I actually wish I could be working on my mom's land this summer. While it isn't easy, it is nice being able to look at what you've accomplished after a day's work. The drought and intense heat has negated ANY need for the work...
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I haven't done anything with the yard other than make it healthier and weed-free! I'm likely going to put off doing more work there since I am now embarking on the BASEMENT PROJECT.
en kærlighed småkager