I've been a vegetarian for two days.

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: I've been a vegetarian for two days.

Post by masteen »

Aabidano wrote:
Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:quoting Tim Minchin:

Water has memory!
It actually may, the effect only lasts about a picosecond though and might be a ghost from the previous state in the measuring equipment.
No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Spang wrote:
pyrella wrote:What is it that you find most offensive or detrimental about the meat eating process?
The purposeful torturing and slaughtering of animals prior to unnecessarily eating them.

So, if an animal were to be treated well before dying to something other than a human, would you eat it?

I mean, there was a cow on my grandparent's farm that died from getting kicked in the head by a horse. The cow had plenty of room to roam and was never tortured or mistreated.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:So, if an animal were to be treated well before dying to something other than a human, would you eat it?
No.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Because it will give him cancer, heart disease, a stroke, and alzheimers. All at the same time.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Worse than that, it might cure his sanctimony!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sylvus wrote:Worse than that, it might cure his sanctimony!
I'm not sure we have to worry about that. I think his case is terminal.

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

...what you are saying is that your desire to be perceived as morally superior to your peers outweighs your actual goal of being morally superior.
http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.c ... arian_test
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Yes, refusing to eat something you didn't order is an asshole-ish thing to do.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Spang wrote:Yes, refusing to eat something you didn't order is an asshole-ish thing to do.

No, it is just very wasteful.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Eh? I missed the context of that. Assuming some video clip. Taken from context of, 'refusing to eat what was not ordered', literally, I would say, "I refuse to eat what was not ordered, unless it was something rad."

Wasteful? Nope. Ever work in a restaurant? Trust me, unless a dish is fucked up, an untouched dish NEVER goes to waste once back at the 'share table'. Everyone gets hungry while on foot all day. Oh yeah, that Chilean seabass gets eaten up right quick.

Note: just read that link. I was slightly wrong. Some people order without thinking. Conspicuous Consumerism I believe is the term for that.

Pro tip: when you order tenderloin and the waiter asks if you want it medium, it is likely not pork. In that case, order it medium rare.
en kærlighed småkager
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Canelek wrote:Eh? I missed the context of that. Assuming some video clip. Taken from context of, 'refusing to eat what was not ordered', literally, I would say, "I refuse to eat what was not ordered, unless it was something rad."

Wasteful? Nope. Ever work in a restaurant? Trust me, unless a dish is fucked up, an untouched dish NEVER goes to waste once back at the 'share table'. Everyone gets hungry while on foot all day. Oh yeah, that Chilean seabass gets eaten up right quick.

Note: just read that link. I was slightly wrong. Some people order without thinking. Conspicuous Consumerism I believe is the term for that.

Pro tip: when you order tenderloin and the waiter asks if you want it medium, it is likely not pork. In that case, order it medium rare.
I actually served in a 5 star restaurant for some time...and we had a share table with food that the chefs had made specifically for us, but any food that was sent back had to be tossed.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I worked in banquet for many years. Some bosses would let us redistribute leftovers amongst waitstaff. Some opted to throw away all extra food (if everybody doesn't get some, then nobody does). But no matter what, there are always guests who barely eat any of their food. So much waste, and we'd throw it all away. Man, did we have some fat raccoons hangin around our dumpster, too. Coons had the life. I wonder why hobos never make the pilgrimage to banquet halls during wedding season.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

A corpsearian, a person who has the unusual habit of eating animal corpses, gives various names to their found-object "food" choices to lighten-up the fact that they are chewing on a dead thing. Names like "roast beef"[1], "Buffalo wings"[2] and "pork" abound in the corpsearian community. Where they come up with these names is anyone's guess, but they've done pretty well in creating and promoting wordlike memes to semantically disguise the obvious
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Corpsearian
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Leonaerd wrote:I worked in banquet for many years. Some bosses would let us redistribute leftovers amongst waitstaff. Some opted to throw away all extra food (if everybody doesn't get some, then nobody does). But no matter what, there are always guests who barely eat any of their food. So much waste, and we'd throw it all away. Man, did we have some fat raccoons hangin around our dumpster, too. Coons had the life. I wonder why hobos never make the pilgrimage to banquet halls during wedding season.

Because they are smart. You think they would win in a fight with a raccoon? Nope, that raccoon would kick their ass.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:
Leonaerd wrote:I worked in banquet for many years. Some bosses would let us redistribute leftovers amongst waitstaff. Some opted to throw away all extra food (if everybody doesn't get some, then nobody does). But no matter what, there are always guests who barely eat any of their food. So much waste, and we'd throw it all away. Man, did we have some fat raccoons hangin around our dumpster, too. Coons had the life. I wonder why hobos never make the pilgrimage to banquet halls during wedding season.

Because they are smart. You think they would win in a fight with a raccoon? Nope, that raccoon would kick their ass.
:lol:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's never too late to enjoy meat again!
Making Up with Meat

If you have been without meat for a significant period of time, it is not a good idea to eat a pound of steak right off the bat. Your body is not used to meat and will likely have a hard time digesting it. You may have stomach pains, cramps, gas, diarrhea and/or constipation from eating meat if you have been a vegetarian for a long time. These will pass with time and go away as your body adjusts to eating meat.

Begin gradually introducing animal products into your diet. How you go about this should be determined by how strict of a vegetarian you were. Vegans should add meat slower than those vegetarians who ate eggs and dairy.

Start by eating chicken broth or stock. It is typically light on the stomach and should cause fewer problems. Eat this for a while before adding any other meats.

Eat foods that are flavored with real meat before eating actual pieces of meat. Soups that are flavored with meat are a good way to get used to the taste of meat again.

Eat chicken first. If your body handles that okay, add fish, pork and beef.

Start by eating meat products you liked before you became a vegetarian. It will help with the psychological aspects of the transition.

Try eating meat that is disguised with other foods such as casseroles. The meat flavor and texture won't be as overpowering as simply biting into a big piece of meat.

If the texture of meat is a problem, try sandwich meats. The texture is usually smoother and it doesn't look as much like meat because of the processing. This can help with the mental transition of reintegrating meat.

Eat digestive enzymes with your meal. You can find them at health food stores. Look for supplements that contain HCL with Pepsin. These will help your body break down the meat. Enzyme complexes will also aid with digestion.

Taking probiotics can help with digestion. Your intestines aren't used to breaking down the meat. Boosting your body with healthy bacteria that breaks down foods will help with bloating, gas, cramps, and other digestive problems.

Listen to what your body is telling you. If you are craving something in particular, it may be a sign of something your body is lacking. If your body isn’t handling the meat well, take a step back and integrate the meat into your diet more slowly. If you haven’t had any problems with the meat, then your body is probably telling you that your diet is working
Many vegetarians stopped eating meat for ethical reasons. Eating meat again can often be more psychologically difficult than physically difficult because you may feel that you have violated your principles. A sense of failure is normal because you are not sticking to a chosen diet. Other vegetarians may give you a hard time because you have left their fold. Meat eaters may tease you for abandoning vegetarianism.

What many meat eaters don't realize is that being a vegetarian or a vegan isn't just a diet. It is a lifestyle. Changing your way of life is hard. Especially when the change is being forced on you by health or other factors.

When you start having negative feelings about this, just remember that you aren’t the only vegetarian who has started eating meat again. Think of how much meat you didn’t eat the time when you were a vegetarian. You are not a failure. You are making wise choices for your body. You can also make informed eating choices now. You can eat organic meat and avoid veal and similarly cruel practices.
You can do it!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Changing your way of life is hard.
I imagine it could be, but I haven't changed my way of life. I still eat like everyone else.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Also, why would my body need to adjust to my eating meat? I thought humans were designed to eat meat. Is that not true anymore?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Spang wrote:Also, why would my body need to adjust to my eating meat? I thought humans were designed to eat meat. Is that not true anymore?
because you are illiterate
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Boogahz wrote:because you are illiterate
Not reading an entire article doesn't make me illiterate, just lazy.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Spang wrote:Also, why would my body need to adjust to my eating meat? I thought humans were designed to eat meat. Is that not true anymore?
For the same reason that my stomach turns if I eat a ton of brussel sprouts, collard greens, squash, etc.

I eat a lot more meat, pasta, dairy, etc than I do vegetables (though, I still eat enough to get what I need from them). However, if I eat them in large amounts, it causes problems for my digestive tract.

Do you want to know why? Because, humans are omnivores and CAN eat a multitude of things, but our bodies are not capable of mass producing all of the enzymes and chemicals required to digest all types of materials at any given time. This means if you fill your diet with one type of food, or especially if you remove one type of food altogether, then it takes some time for it to build itself back up to process it.

I would love to quote Marshall from HIMYM with a "Lawyered" but in this case I think its a "Biologisted".

Please, from now on, don't speak about things you do not understand.

Oh, and if you want to take it a step farther, then don't drink or eat anything for 3 days then drink a ton of water and stuff yourself and see what happens.

(Actually, don't do that. I do not want you to die.)
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Winnow wrote: Listen to what your body is telling you. If you are craving something in particular, it may be a sign of something your body is lacking. If your body isn’t handling the meat well, take a step back and integrate the meat into your diet more slowly. If you haven’t had any problems with the meat, then your body is probably telling you that your diet is working
That is something my mother has told me all of my life. She also had a really weird craving...off and on throughout my life, she would get an insatiable craving for liver. A few years ago she was feeling somewhat ill, and craving liver, and was at the doctor. They tested her blood and found that she was low on iron. It seems that she naturally depletes iron at a faster rate than most people, and liver was one of the few foods that would bring her back up to a normal level. Of course...that also means she likes the taste of blood (she actually enjoys the taste if she gets a cut)...so maybe she is a vampire.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Spang wrote:
Changing your way of life is hard.
I imagine it could be, but I haven't changed my way of life. I still eat like everyone else.
Do you eat whole grains?

:vv_sing:
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Leonaerd wrote:Do you eat whole grains?
Sometimes.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

This is how a man eats, period, end of discussion!

http://www.gnolls.org/1141/eat-like-a-p ... nal-guide/
Fortune favors the brave!
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Some alternatives to eating the rotting flesh of dead animals this holiday season:

Tofurky Feast and Tofurky Roast & Gravy

Field Roast Celebration Roast
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:Some alternatives to eating the rotting flesh of dead animals this holiday season:
No thanks. I already bought some turkey!

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:No thanks. I already bought some turkey!
Enjoy the fecal bacteria!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Thanks, I will. It sure beats listeria!

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Family gathering buzz kill. Special menu!

Making prime rib with sea salt garlic rosemary paste 3 days in advance for max flavour. T-Day part two. Rad.
en kærlighed småkager
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Tofurkey is actually pretty good...

Wrapped in bacon.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:Thanks, I will. It sure beats listeria!
Neither one of us will likely ever contract listeria, and the risk doesn't become greater after stopping eating animals. However, if you eat turkey, your chances of consuming poop is very high.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

How'd that Vegan thing work out for Steve jobs?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

A little poop never killed anyone. With some gravy you wont even know it's there. Try worrying about something that actually matters!

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I started the Paleo / Primal "diet" two weeks ago (diet in quotes because it's not about weight for me). For those who don't know, the diet focuses on eating plenty of meat and vegetables, and the elimination of carbs (bread, cereal, [whole] grains, pasta, juice, soda). The idea is to burn fat instead of carbs.

I used to eat meat about twice a week and carbs all the time. Now I eat meat every day and have slashed my carb intake significantly. I've always eaten plenty of veggies so not much change there.

And since this all went down, I have been feeling GREAT!!!! I have energy all the time, my digestion is flawless, I'm sleeping through the night, my skin and hair are healthier looking, my body / mind aren't jittery from all the sugar. It's like coming down from a 24 year sugar rush.

My diet was good before, but I'd feel hungry and occasionally have a lack of energy. I solved this by piling on the meat and taking away all the riffraff. We're motherfucking predators and our bodies reward us for eating as our ancestors did.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:A little poop never killed anyone. With some gravy you wont even know it's there. Try worrying about something that actually matters!
Eating animals is destroying the environment. That's kind of a big deal.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

We've eaten animals for thousands of years and the world got along just fine. However a population of 7+ billion isn't doing much for your cause. Perhaps get people to stop fucking would be a better use of your time.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I've made it a habit to cut out carbs from my diet 2-3 times per week.
I've noticed a bit of an improvement in my over well-being.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Don't completely eliminate carbs!!! That is the Adkins diet fad from 10 or so years ago. :P

Miir has the right of it.

And poop, seriously? Uh, well, unless you grow hydro, guess how much poop is in most outdoor garden soil? Sorry excuse, once again...even vegan propaganda is flimsy at best.
en kærlighed småkager
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Don't completely eliminate carbs!!! That is the Adkins diet fad from 10 or so years ago.
Adkins would also have you avoiding fatty meat, when fatty is really quite necessary.

I'll pile on the carbs if I'm exercising hard for a long time. I don't really do that, though, so what's the point? Really - why should I ever eat carbs? (I still eat fruit)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

"If it's white, it's not right when it comes to food"

Rice has a lot of carbs and those asians are so tiny! All carbs can't be bad!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Sushi leaves that fast food lump in my belly. Uncomfortable. That's okay, though - I'll never give it up. So fucking good.

mmm, spicy scallop roll..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

25 foods you should never eat:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/th ... 63,00.html

Smoothie King's Hulk Strawberry Smoothie
Starbucks' Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino Blended Creme with whipped cream
Coldstone's PB&C Shake
Auntie Anne's Jumbo Pretzel Dog
Cinnabon's Caramel Pecanbon
Wendy's Sweet and Spicy Boneless Wings
Dunkin' Donuts' Coffee Cake Muffin
Olive Garden's Grilled Shrimp Caprese
Chili's Onion String and Crispy Jalapeno Stack
Macaroni Grill's Kids' Fettuccine Alfredo
Quiznos' Chicken With Honey Mustard Flatbread Salad
Pizza Hut's Meaty P'Zone
Lunchables' New Wholesome Deep Dish Pepperoni Fun Pack
Ruffles' Cheddar & Sour Cream Flavored Potato Chips
Haagen Dazs' Dulce de Leche Low-Fat Frozen Yogurt
Kar's Yogurt Apple Nut Mix
Arnold's Whole Grain Country White Bread
Reese's Puffs Cereal
Kellogg's Pop-Tarts Brown Sugar Cinnamon
PowerBar Performance Energy Cookies & Cream
Healthy Choice Sweet and Sour Chicken
VitaminWater
Quaker Natural Granola, Low-Fat
Bear Naked Chocolaty Cherry Grain-ola Bar
Amy's Organic Thai Coconut Soup
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote: VitaminWater
Haha
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote: VitaminWater
Haha
But... it's got what plants crave!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It's got electrolytes!

I actually like the crap when it is on sale. Good hangover juice!
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:We've eaten animals for thousands of years and the world got along just fine.
The act of eating an animal isn't what's destroying the environment. It's the factory farming of these animals that's destroying the environment.