I've been a vegetarian for two days.

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: I've been a vegetarian for two days.

Post by Xyun »

fIRsT
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Also, just to reply to that caveman diet, I pretty much have been following that except that I'm not strict about it, and definitely put lots of spices, especially pepper on my food. Meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, and nuts are 90% of my diet as I said before. Very little grain, dairy, fast food or junk food in my diet.

Today I had 2 New York Strips! YUM!

I do have some bad news. I am moving into a condo closer to my work. Unfortunately, there is no grilling allowed except at the clubhouse so my eating habits are going to change dramatically. Right now I grill at least 3 times a week. :(

Although all the other benefits make up for it.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

Meatopia!

(Photos give me issures from work, here's the text and a link)

http://bites.today.com/_news/2011/07/25 ... ?gt1=43001
Bacon lollipops, sheep heads and more meat treatsBy Sarah Spigelman
Even the heat wave couldn’t keep meat worshippers away from Meatopia, an annual festival to celebrate every edible (and even inedible) bit of America’s carnivorous affections.

The event, held on Saturday, June 23 in New York City, brought out celeb chefs like Floyd Cardoz (of “Top Chef Masters” fame), Aaron Sanchez, Michael White and Ludo Lefebrve (of “LudoBites”). Writer and food adventurist Sarah Spigelman went out, fork in hand, ready to try some of the craziest creations. Here, she shares her top picks.

Best intro to offalBBQ chicken hearts, chefs Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo

Sarah Spigelman
This preparation of chicken hearts totally took me by surprise. Chicken hearts usually have a tender texture and subtle taste, but this was an in-your-face flavor explosion. The charred edges gave a pleasantly bitter contrast to the smoky eggplant puree and the mild, almost sweet flavor of the meat. This is a great way to introduce someone to chicken hearts -- not scary in presentation or taste.

Best fried creation
Crispy Mangalitsa pig's head torchon with green beans and horseradish, chefs Eduard Frauneder and Wolfgang Ban

Sarah Spigelman
Imagine if you were eating bacon, but from the face of the pig -- around the ear, the eye socket, the nostrils … well, you get the picture. That's what this was -- a conglomeration of pig meat, skin and fat that was taken solely from the head. Underneath a crunchy golden shell lay a decadent mosaic of fat and meat. The fat melts pleasantly on your tongue, not unlike the Italian lardo. Mixed with shreds of salty pork, and served with a horseradish sauce and snappy green beans, this was one of my favorite bites of the night.

Best use of meat jell-o
Head cheese terrine with McClure's spicy pickle relish, chef Yuhi Fujinaga

Sarah Spigelman
There is no way to make this sound as good as it tastes, but it’s kind of like meat jell-o. It’s a terrine made of different parts of the pig -- tongue, heart, feet, the part around the ears and face -- that is then set in aspic and sliced. It is kind of like luncheon meat, if your luncheon meat was almost as soft as pate, tasted as rich as a pork chop and was made from parts of the animal that you preferred not to think about.

Best use of inedible parts of the animal
Carolina whole Ossabaw hog BBQ with field pea and ramp chow chow, cooked over wood embers and pig bone charcoal, chef Sean Brock

Sarah Spigelman
This whole pig was impressive on its own, but consider that the animal was cooked over its own charred bones mixed with wood. It isn't just about eating and cooking for these chefs; it is about respecting the circle of life and using every part of the animal, to ensure that it did not die in vain.

Best use of face
Spit-roasted whole sheep, chef Seamus Mullen

Sarah Spigelman
The meat for this dish might not have come from the face, but seeing the animal's head there was a pretty good indication that what I was getting was fresh and it was cooked on the bone -- on all the bones. As a result, the sheep (a lamb that is older than one year) was incredibly flavorful. It tasted aged and slightly funky (in the way that steak on the bone is when compared to steak cooked without a bone), and even a little bit wild. I loved it, but if you are not a fan of lamb this is not for you.

Best intimidation tactic
Greek lamb offal mixed grill, chef Michael Psilakis

Sarah Spigelman
There were no bells and whistles on this. Just plain old heart, liver kidney and brain, skewered and grilled to perfection. The most surprising: the brain. Instead of being mushy or grainy like I had feared, it was gelatinous, a bit toothsome and creamy inside. The lemony sauce served alongside added clean, bright notes.

Most impressive display of beefiness
Black angus whole-roasted donley steer, Pat LaFreida Meat Purveyors

Sarah Spigelman
The whole 850-pound cow, from teeth to hindquarters to hooves, roasted to pink, juicy perfection in the open air. It seemed incredible that such a massive display of meat would be reduced to such tiny sandwiches, and yet, served on a soft bun with a kick of creamy horseradish sauce, it was robust, tender and incredibly...well, incredibly beefy. I have never had a better piece of beef.

Best meaty dessert
Mangalista pork lollipops, Lee Anne Wong

Sarah Spigelman
These bacon pops were made of Mangalitsa pork, which is not just your everyday swine. These pigs, which come from Eastern Europe, are directly descended from wild boars. Their name comes from a Serbian word meaning "hog with a lot of lard," and the name fits! The majority of this bacon-pop was pure, creamy fat that melted on my tongue. It was mellow-tasting and almost sweet in comparison with the salty bacon at the top of the 'pop. This treat was fat with a side of meat; all it needed was my mouth.
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Weee, passed midnyte for the number 10 spot for posts on vv.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Funkmasterr wrote:Weee, passed midnyte for the number 10 spot for posts on vv.
Our satellite tracking has finally found his last location:

en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

:lol:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Think Spang has been located!

Activists Try to Save Yvonne, the Runaway Cow
http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... #ref=nlint
The search is on in Bavaria for an Austrian cow named Yvonne who has been on the loose since May when she escaped from the farm where she was being fattened up for slaughter.

The wily runaway has become a local celebrity of sorts in the southern German state. She has outsmarted police officers and has become known for grazing at night, like a deer. But her days of freedom might soon come to an end, as officials in the Mühldorf district have decided that, for security reasons, she can be shot.

The decision came after Yvonne jumped in front of a police cruiser, stunning the officers who were then unable to capture the bovine bandit. Because of the danger she poses to traffic in the area, Yvonne must be removed, the local officials decided. Two officials are now reportedly searching for her with tranquilizers and guns.

But concerned animal rights activists hope they can find her before the police and spare her life. The Gut Aiderbichl Animal Sanctuary has purchased the cow for €700 ($988), and has since been combing the area with all-terrain vehicles.

Unable to corral the cow, the activists have even armed themselves with an infrared camera, says Hans Wintersteller, manager of the sanctuary near Salzburg, Austria, which houses hundreds of rescued cows, horses, goats, sheep, deer and other animals.

Appealing to her Maternal Instincts

The group had called for a massive search for the brown cow, but because of the rainy weather on Thursday, just 14 people came out to support the task. The group hasn't ruled out using tranquilizer darts to capture Yvonne, but they hope a new, more humane tactic might encourage her to emerge from the woods.

Wintersteller and his colleagues have purchased Waltraud, a former stall-mate of Yvonne's, and a calf named Waldi, and hope the cow will see them and be drawn to them by a need for companionship. They also hope to appeal to Yvonne's maternal instincts.

"After all, she has had a calf herself," Wintersteller said. But so far the bait hasn't worked. "We'll keep trying," Wintersteller added.
They're tempting her with the taste of babies~!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Likely eating a shame sandwich!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Cow... On the lamb!

(Yes I know it's lam leave me alone!)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I ate at a Brazillian steakhouse last night. Right now I have roasted lamb, lamb chops, skirt steak, filet mignon, bacon-wrapped filet, bacon-wrapped chicken breast, roasted chicken, parmesan-crusted pork loin, pork sausage, and one other cut of beef I'm not even sure of inside me. And a MEAN case of the itis.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I ate a chocolate chip & bacon cookie today. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

So much hate and violence in the animal kingdom. Let's end Cow-on-Cow violence!

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotos ... 534-3.html

"Luna is constantly following the horses around, but the horses don't seem to be interested," says Mayer. The other cows in the stall appear not to like Luna, and even kick her now and then.
Last edited by Boogahz on August 6, 2011, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

masteen wrote:I ate at a Brazillian steakhouse last night. Right now I have roasted lamb, lamb chops, skirt steak, filet mignon, bacon-wrapped filet, bacon-wrapped chicken breast, roasted chicken, parmesan-crusted pork loin, pork sausage, and one other cut of beef I'm not even sure of inside me. And a MEAN case of the itis.
Oh! I had that once at a Brazilian restaurant in Montreal. I think it was called the Tourniquette on the menu. 10 kinds of meat!!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

masteen wrote:I ate at a Brazillian steakhouse last night. Right now I have roasted lamb, lamb chops, skirt steak, filet mignon, bacon-wrapped filet, bacon-wrapped chicken breast, roasted chicken, parmesan-crusted pork loin, pork sausage, and one other cut of beef I'm not even sure of inside me. And a MEAN case of the itis.
Fogo De Chau by any chance? There's one of those in Minneapolis, love it! It's all you can eat, kind of expensive but they have a huge salad bar with tons of good shit and all kinds of awesome meat. I need to go back there soon!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote: they have a huge salad bar with tons of good shit
Fuckin' veg.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Fuckin' veg.
FUK U!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:
miir wrote:
Fuckin' veg.
FUK U!
FUCK U KANYE!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

:lol: :lol:
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Braza Lena. I don't even know if they have a menu. They have dudes dressed as gauchos walking around with swords with grilled meat and stuff on them. They slice the sizzling meat directly onto your plate. You have a little pog with red on one side and green on the other. When you want more meat, green side up. When your plate is full or you're full, flip red up.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

One of those places just closed near us, was great stuff, served cow, goat and sheep. Not sure why they closed, was booked up Wed-Sat, they ended up having to go reservation-only due to the crowds.

Nasty Japanese place there now.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

masteen wrote:Braza Lena. I don't even know if they have a menu. They have dudes dressed as gauchos walking around with swords with grilled meat and stuff on them. They slice the sizzling meat directly onto your plate. You have a little pog with red on one side and green on the other. When you want more meat, green side up. When your plate is full or you're full, flip red up.
That's exactly how the place I'm talking about works. Love it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

That type of resto is simply referred to as a Brazilian Steakhouse.

I love 'em!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I think we all know what race Spang will be playing in Guild Wars 2:

http://www.arena.net/blog/kristen-perry ... he-sylvari

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I wonder if they need Bees to breed. Or if its the ol pistol\stamin type thing.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Why would a plant need boobs?
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

spray chlorophyll!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I challenge each and every one of you to watch this documentary and this speech (begins at 1:48).
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I do not accept your challenge, sir!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Spang wrote:I challenge each and every one of you to watch this documentary and this speech (begins at 1:48).
Yeah, that speech is a challenge alright... comparing animal slaughter to rape, child molestation, and the Holocaust. His justification for his belief system is as wacky and hardcore as the worst of the worst. Seems like a nice guy, but he has tunnel vision because he thinks he has everything figured out and so he reeks of pretentiousness. He just stings together a logic train and says it's absolute truth, which I don't believe it is. He also tries desperately to blur the lines by mixing racism, sexism, and other vile traits and tries to draw parallels with eating meat. I'm just not on board with any of it.

"My animal Brothers and Sisters" Ugh.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Spang wrote:I challenge each and every one of you to watch this documentary and this speech (begins at 1:48).

lol

seriously

hahlolfuckinglolhah!

Thanks sputnik...you do realize that is akin to an evangelical CHALLENGING a crowd to JUST WATCH THIS AND BELIEVEZLOL! Pastor Bobbo tells the truths!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Yeah, that speech is a challenge alright... comparing animal slaughter to rape, child molestation, and the Holocaust.
Well obviously we eat women, children and Jews so they are pretty comparable.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Canelek wrote:Thanks sputnik...you do realize that is akin to an evangelical CHALLENGING a crowd to JUST WATCH THIS AND BELIEVEZLOL! Pastor Bobbo tells the truths!
Well, sure, if you think facts and scientific data are equivalent to Biblical nonsense.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Spang wrote:
Canelek wrote:Thanks sputnik...you do realize that is akin to an evangelical CHALLENGING a crowd to JUST WATCH THIS AND BELIEVEZLOL! Pastor Bobbo tells the truths!
Well, sure, if you think facts and scientific data are equivalent to Biblical nonsense.
He starts his speech by using the bible.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Spang wrote:Well, sure, if you think facts and scientific data are equivalent to Biblical nonsense.
He starts his speech by using the bible.
And rather effectively, too.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm curious as to how you came to decide to cast off the evils of meat eating. Did you arrive at that on your own doing or were you beaten over the head with how much of a bad person you were until you finally just gave in?

Why do you fee the need to 'convert' everyone or show them how much they suck?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:I'm curious as to how you came to decide to cast off the evils of meat eating. Did you arrive at that on your own doing or were you beaten over the head with how much of a bad person you were until you finally just gave in?
I watched the film Fast Food Nation. A year-and-a-half later, I went vegetarian. Six months later, vegan.
Aslanna wrote:Why do you fee the need to 'convert' everyone or show them how much they suck?
I couldn't care less if you people ate animals or not, quite frankly. I do, however, enjoy a good debate.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Fast Food Nation.... Wow, you are more gullible than I had originally thought. Good job! Not endorsing fast food, but wow.

And if being proud of yourself for the ability to link someone else's thoughts as "debate" is just silly. Is that all? "I agree with link."?
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Canelek wrote:Fast Food Nation.... Wow, you are more gullible than I had originally thought. Good job! Not endorsing fast food, but wow.
The very last thing you see in the movie, other than the credits, is an actual cow being slaughtered. After seeing that, I decided that I didn't want to contribute to that anymore. It took awhile to finally stop, because let's be honest, meat is fucking delicious. But eventually, I stopped contributing to the senseless torture and slaughter of animals.
Canelek wrote:And if being proud of yourself for the ability to link someone else's thoughts as "debate" is just silly. Is that all? "I agree with link."?
I've been debating you people all goddamn thread. Most of my arguments can't be refuted, which is made abundantly clear when the rebuttals consist of pictures of steak, descriptions of what a person ate for lunch and lolcopters.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

You don't have an argument. You are simply agreeing with whatever blog or slanted "documentary" suits you. You are probably a big Michael Moore fan too, eh? Yes, cattle die to feed us. Fabulous. At least they contribute to our well being. Cows are tasty and nourishing. You are kinda boring and have no personality.
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Canelek wrote:Cows are tasty and nourishing.
Tasty, yes. Nourishing, no. Unless you consider heart disease, diabetes, strokes and Alzheimer's nourishing.
Last edited by Spang on August 15, 2011, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Canelek wrote:You are probably a big Michael Moore fan too, eh?
I've seen one of his documentaries, Fahrenheit 9/11.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

You are a rather large champion of our health while calling us "you people". Are you racist? Are we Jews and niggers an affront to your socially-conscious calling? Well sir, I am indeed offended.
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Canelek wrote:You are a rather large champion of our health while calling us "you people".
You people = people who eat animals. But more specifically, people who eat animals and participate in this thread.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Canelek wrote:Are you racist?
I don't like white people.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Spang wrote:
Canelek wrote:Cows are tasty and nourishing.
Tasty, yes. Nourishing, no. Unless you consider heart disease, diabetes, strokes and Alzheimer's nourishing.
Wow, beef is not nourishing and is the (main?) cause of heart disease, diabetes strokes and Alzheimer's? Why haven't I heard your facts before?! I will quit eating meat forthwith!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Sylvus wrote:Why haven't I heard your facts before?!
It would be bad for profit.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Also, feel free to give me a list of all the vegans who have died of heart disease, diabetes, strokes and Alzheimer's. I'm sure the list is quite lengthy.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Spang wrote:I do, however, enjoy a good debate.
There has been no debate in this thread.
It's just been you being a sanctimonious douchebag.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Ok, but only after you give me the list of astronauts that have died of prostate cancer. Or left-handed pedestrians killed by southbound travelling trains. Hard to find, right? That's because going into space prevents most forms of cancer! Left-handed people have preternatural reflexes that prevent them from being struck by trains! That or the numbers of astronauts or left-handed people in the world are relatively low, much like the number of vegans...

I won't deny that there may be some correlation between people who eat meat, fish, dairy, poultry and eggs and a higher (read: greater than 0) incidence of those diseases you mention, as long as you won't deny that vegans aren't immune to those diseases.

Also, It's patently false to say that beef isn't nourishing.

If watching a cow being butchered makes you sad, by all means, don't eat beef. But don't come in here acting like you're some kind of saint that's going to live to be 200 years old because you quit having hamburgers on Groundhog's Day.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Sylvus wrote:I won't deny that there may be some correlation between people who eat meat, fish, dairy, poultry and eggs and a higher (read: greater than 0) incidence of those diseases you mention, as long as you won't deny that vegans aren't immune to those diseases.
Fair enough. But think of all the people in your life who have died of the diseases I mentioned: were they vegan? Maybe there are some people you know right now who are battling those diseases. Are they vegan? Or maybe you don't know anyone who has ever had to deal with that stuff, which is good. But I'm sure you know of some famous people who have.