I've been a vegetarian for two days.

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Re: I've been a vegetarian for two days.

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

oh and

IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Dad turned 70 last night. We went out and ate lobster and veal. The lobster was alive when it hit the boiling, frothy water. The baby cow was ground up and stuffed inside a shell of equally pulverized wheat babies, all smothered in tomato and garlic babies, which in turn was covered in congealed baby cow food.

It was delicious.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

miir wrote:Do you actually believe this shit?
I hope not because I was starting to think you were a decent guy with reasonable opinions.
I don't see the idea that animals shouldn't be slaughtered for human consumption to be all that unreasonable.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:
Winnow wrote:If Spang isn't trolling, he's clueless. The only thing worth eating for him is his own vomit. Chow down.
*shrug* hell, I went through an idealism phase when I was in my early 20s. Many of us did. All part of th process. It is amusing, at least.
So did I. My understanding is that Spang is 30. Even with 30 being the new 20, you've got to stop the stupid at some point!

At least find a less generic cause to pimp.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Spang wrote:I don't see the idea that animals shouldn't be slaughtered for human consumption to be all that unreasonable.
There's nothing wrong with having that opinion but when you start comparing it to slavery and gender inequality (which are social behaviours) you come off sounding like a loony.

Human vegetarianism is a social behaviour.

Humans are genetically predisposed to eating both meat and vegetables.
Human omnivorism is not a social behaviour.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

It's buying local, sustainably farmed products that makes the biggest difference. Not whether it's an animal or plant.

If I eat meat from a local producer that raises it's animals using sustainable practices, I'm likely doing a lot less damage to land and to animals than if I'm buying products made from soy shipped from a giant farm in Brazil that used to be part of the Amazon rainforest. Factor in the fossil-fuel consumption to get the product your table, mistreatment of workers around the world, gene-modification/seed patenting by companies like Monsanto, etc. then you start realizing how bad vegan/vegetarian products can be themselves.

However if you're a vegetarian and are as zealous about where you're food comes from as you are about the fact that you're not killing cute fuzzy animals, then you're on the right path. Most vegetarians I know don't care about where it comes from, because they already feel good enough about themselves now that they've made the tremendous sacrifice of replacing their morning bacon with a soy-based product (grown in Argentina, processed in China, and packaged in Zanzibar).
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Keverian FireCry wrote:It's buying local, sustainably farmed products that makes the biggest difference. Not whether it's an animal or plant.

If I eat meat from a local producer that raises it's animals using sustainable practices, I'm likely doing a lot less damage to land and to animals than if I'm buying products made from soy shipped from a giant farm in Brazil that used to be part of the Amazon rainforest. Factor in the fossil-fuel consumption to get the product your table, mistreatment of workers around the world, gene-modification/seed patenting by companies like Monsanto, etc. then you start realizing how bad vegan/vegetarian products can be themselves.

However if you're a vegetarian and are as zealous about where you're food comes from as you are about the fact that you're not killing cute fuzzy animals, then you're on the right path. Most vegetarians I know don't care about where it comes from, because they already feel good enough about themselves now that they've made the tremendous sacrifice of replacing their morning bacon with a soy-based product (grown in Argentina, processed in China, and packaged in Zanzibar).
My GIRLFRIEND and I try and buy organic most of the time, particularly from small producers, but when I see some of the Vegetable Box schemes I have to laugh. Yeah, their produce is organic, but it was shipped from Argentina, China and Colombia to Denmark. Ridiculous.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:My GIRLFRIEND and I...
Something you want to get off your chest about your GIRLFRIEND?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

masteen wrote:
Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:My GIRLFRIEND and I...
Something you want to get off your chest about your GIRLFRIEND?
Sorry, kneejerk reaction from another forum.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I don't make friends with my food, you can be friends with my food though, I don't mind.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

What are you even trying to accomplish at this point Spang?

an aside, was at a bbq this past weekend with some neighborhood locals who opened their pool. They had some hoisin based steak on the stick that my daughter enjoyed a lot. One of our neighbors was surprised that my daughter took to the steak over hotdogs and some other kid associated food. We told her that she loves meat on a stick or especially on the bone; chicken legs, ribs, even tries to eat pork chops off the bone. The neighbor thought that my daughter would have a problem if she knew where it came from, but she doesn't and never did. She tells our lobsters "bye bye lobster" before I boil them up, she's seen me cleave whole chickens, chop off fish heads, the whole ball of wax and has no problem with it. She knows what tastes good and kids in general can handle it if you cook with them. Wife and I found it funny that our neighbor was so "shocked" that she knows
Last edited by Chidoro on June 2, 2011, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Mmm pie.

But why is dairy like a glass.. wtf kind of chart is that where some of the data is separate! Honestly they could have shown the same thing with the existing pyramid by just revising what was there. This is just dumb.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Xyun wrote:I don't make friends with my food, you can be friends with my food though, I don't mind.
Today's pet being tomorrow's dinner used to be a fact of life, still is in many countries. Lots of areas in this country for that matter.

My kids saw their dinner "on the hoof" and being disassembled more than a few times. Yes that deer is pretty, makes a fine steak too.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Chidoro wrote:What are you even trying to accomplish at this point Spang?
By posting an image of the new food plate and linking to the website?

Provide a follow-up to an article Aabidano linked to earlier in the thread.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Spang wrote:
Chidoro wrote:What are you even trying to accomplish at this point Spang?
By posting an image of the new food plate and linking to the website?

Provide a follow-up to an article Aabidano linked to earlier in the thread.
In general, not the stupid plate post, your point in general, to convert everyone, to prove you're right, what the hell is it at this point?
Aabidano wrote:Today's pet being tomorrow's dinner used to be a fact of life, still is in many countries. Lots of areas in this country for that matter.
Yep yep. My mother-in-law used to do this with rabbits when she was growing up.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Chidoro wrote:In general, not the stupid plate post, your point in general, to convert everyone, to prove you're right, what the hell is it at this point?
At this point, my point is to participate in the discussion like everyone else.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aabidano wrote:
Xyun wrote:I don't make friends with my food, you can be friends with my food though, I don't mind.
Today's pet being tomorrow's dinner used to be a fact of life, still is in many countries. Lots of areas in this country for that matter.

My kids saw their dinner "on the hoof" and being disassembled more than a few times. Yes that deer is pretty, makes a fine steak too.
This is why my mom's cattle have been named things like "Lunch" and "Dinner." She made sure that the kids also knew what they were being raised for too. They weren't going to name them at all, but we figured that it couldn't hurt to get them to associate them in that manner early on. These were raised on my mom's land, and not in a feedlot. BIG differences. I grew up literally surrounded by cattle in feedlots and packing plants. I helped my dad with repairs inside two packing plants, and there was no way I would have actually worked there. Kills, generally, went very quickly, but there were times... I am still a bit picky when it comes to beef in general.

It has basically been the same with the chickens, but they're mainly used for (unfertilized) eggs. I think there is usually one rooster per five hens in the coop at any one time. There are still MANY unfertilized eggs produced. Speaking of the eggs, it will really depend on where you are, but we've had to leave fake eggs/golf balls in the coop to drive off snakes. I prefer that method to my mom killing snakes in one of the hen's boxes with a shotgun...because I end up getting to clean the mess. Keeping chickens is also an excellent way to dispose of a lot of food that would otherwise go directly to the compost pile, which can cut down on feed costs too!

The lawnmowers, donkeys, are the one set of animals I haven't figured out the use for out on her land. They were up to 6, but her catahoula killed a baby when it ran at one of the kids last year. When we aren't going through a drought from hell, they do a really good job clearing a patch of land offset from the house. Now they just go through money in the shape of bales of hay.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

That is a pretty ridiculous plate-graph. Then again, when there is no data, one can just draw shit out as they see fit.
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Boogahz wrote:The lawnmowers, donkeys, are the one set of animals I haven't figured out the use for out on her land.
Lot of folks keep them as they'll kill or run off coyotes & snakes whenever they get the chance.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

One of the homes in Germany that I resided in has a cow field right off the backyard. This was a old school cow field where a smelly old man or woman would walk the cows up the road to the field in the morning and take them back somewhere at night. The fence was no more than maybe a strand or two of barbed wire, easy to get through for a kid.

I tried befriending a few cows. I'd go in the field, say hello, and they'd stare back at me as they munched on grass but never did much else. I ended up stepping in a cow patty in my slippers. I haven't liked cows much since.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

How many days has it been so far!

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

The next "evolutionary" step is the following... Portland is silly with them!

I present to you, cyclist douchebag!

en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Bike couriers fucking stink.
I have when one gets on an elevator.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:How many days has it been so far!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Alright. We need more frequent updates!

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aslanna wrote:How many days has it been so far!
it's a lifestyle, you can't put a number on it, maaannn

spang wrote:133.
oh
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

It is maddox so...:
http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.c ... speciesism

Hate fixie riding douchebags. Every one of them that's riding what once was valuable\collectible bike & now basically a piece of crap with green tires needs kicked square in the crotch.

*Edited for gender equality
Last edited by Aabidano on June 18, 2011, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Animals aren't people, but they are sentient creatures. However, based on Mr. Maddox' logic, it should be acceptable to eat babies, children, women and retards.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Spang wrote:Animals aren't people, but they are sentient creatures. However, based on Mr. Maddox' logic, it should be acceptable to eat babies, children, women and retards.
Why is it that you believe that women aren't as intelligent or capable as men are? When did "retards" lose their motor skills? Do women and children no longer grow up to be adults? I personally find your sexism and discrimination against the handicap way more disconcerting than my desire to eat tasty hamburgers.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

laneela wrote:Why is it that you believe that women aren't as intelligent or capable as men are? When did "retards" lose their motor skills? Do women and children no longer grow up to be adults? I personally find your sexism and discrimination against the handicap way more disconcerting than my desire to eat tasty hamburgers.
Obviously he has the moral high ground over babies, children, women and retards... He's vegetarian!

I don't know about you but he has me convinced to go all in.. Veganism here I come!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I want to know if it's ok for vegans to eat the human shit burgers that were previuosly mentioned. How would you know what the shitter ate? Would vegans demand special shit burgers that were produced from the shit of non meat eating humans? I'm thinking this might be an excellent way for vegans to supplement their flawed diet.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Spang, what about spirulina and chlorella, which are nutritional powerhouses and yet have meat characteristics?

I take a tablespoon of spirulina in my tomato juice every day and definitely feel healthier as a result...
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

laneela wrote:Why is it that you believe that women aren't as intelligent or capable as men are?
Women are just as smart and capable as men. Unfortunately, women don't run the planet, men do. Specifically, wealthy men. Wealthy men who don't give a shit about the planet. It'll be quite difficult for anyone to save the planet while those fuckers are allowed to do whatever the hell they want.
laneela wrote:When did "retards" lose their motor skills?
A lack of motor skills wasn't the only reason Mr. Maddox gave for slaughtering animals for human gluttony.
laneela wrote:Do women and children no longer grow up to be adults?
Children do if you let them. Women are already grown up, that's why they're referred to as women and not girls; and certainly not ladies, bitches or hos because that's sexist. Animals can grow up and do great things too, if we let them. I mean, they're probably never going to save the planet, but neither are dolphins, penguins or pandas. There's a lot of humans who aren't going to save the planet, either. According to Mr. Maddox, we should be eating them.
laneela wrote:I personally find your sexism and discrimination against the handicap way more disconcerting than my desire to eat tasty hamburgers.
I apologize for the sexism and discrimination toward the handicapped, but I wasn't referring to the handicapped with the word retard. Sarah Palin, for example, is a retard. Her son Trig, not a retard.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Leonaerd wrote:Spang, what about spirulina and chlorella, which are nutritional powerhouses and yet have meat characteristics?
Both should be vegan- and vegetarian-friendly.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Yet, algae is neither vege or vega. Sounds like vegan values crumble under the microscope.

All that matters is health. Taking away all meat is unnecessary and loud.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Leonaerd wrote:Yet, algae is neither vege or vega. Sounds like vegan values crumble under the microscope.
Sentience is typically the deciding factor.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Sentience is to veganism as rationality is to catholicism.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Spang wrote:
laneela wrote:Why is it that you believe that women aren't as intelligent or capable as men are?
Women are just as smart and capable as men. Unfortunately, women don't run the planet, men do. Specifically, wealthy men. Wealthy men who don't give a shit about the planet. It'll be quite difficult for anyone to save the planet while those fuckers are allowed to do whatever the hell they want.
laneela wrote:When did "retards" lose their motor skills?
A lack of motor skills wasn't the only reason Mr. Maddox gave for slaughtering animals for human gluttony.
laneela wrote:Do women and children no longer grow up to be adults?
Children do if you let them. Women are already grown up, that's why they're referred to as women and not girls; and certainly not ladies, bitches or hos because that's sexist. Animals can grow up and do great things too, if we let them. I mean, they're probably never going to save the planet, but neither are dolphins, penguins or pandas. There's a lot of humans who aren't going to save the planet, either. According to Mr. Maddox, we should be eating them.
laneela wrote:I personally find your sexism and discrimination against the handicap way more disconcerting than my desire to eat tasty hamburgers.
I apologize for the sexism and discrimination toward the handicapped, but I wasn't referring to the handicapped with the word retard. Sarah Palin, for example, is a retard. Her son Trig, not a retard.
I watched the video. Maddox was talking about the difference between humans and animals and why your logic that animals are sentient and therefore comparable to humans is faulty. His theory is that "people" are the only ones capable of stopping an asteroid from impacting the earth. He goes on to imply that what is required to help save the world is a "brain that can do math and handle basic motor skills". You are the one that inferred that women, children, babies and retards do not meet the requirements. And I did misspeak when I said "Do women and children no longer grow up to be adults?" I meant to say "babies and children". All I'm saying is that you can't possibly be on a moral high ground when you think so poorly of women, children and the handicapped.

edit: And for the record, I would never eat a penguin. They are just sooooo cute.
Laneela
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

laneela wrote:Maddox was talking about the difference between humans and animals and why your logic that animals are sentient and therefore comparable to humans is faulty.
I never made that comparison. In fact, I said that animals are not people. However, just because humans can do so much more than other animals doesn't mean we should be slaughtering them for our gluttony.
laneela wrote:All I'm saying is that you can't possibly be on a moral high ground when you think so poorly of women, children and the handicapped.
I never claimed to be on a moral high ground.
laneela wrote:edit: And for the record, I would never eat a penguin. They are just sooooo cute.
Cuteness is where you draw the line, sentience is where I draw the line.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:However, just because humans can do so much more than other animals doesn't mean we should be slaughtering them for our gluttony.
Gluttony? Really? I mean I know you seem to like that word because it makes you seem superior and all but speak for yourself.

Oh and while you're at it learn the definition of gluttony. I'm feeling nice so I'll save you some time:
Definition of GLUTTONY
: excess in eating or drinking
: greedy or excessive indulgence
Happy to help!

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:Gluttony? Really? I mean I know you seem to like that word because seems it makes you seem superior and all but speak for yourself.
I use that word because it's accurate.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It plainly is not accurate. I guess you haven't finished your English classes yet. We'll wait.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:It plainly is not accurate. I guess you haven't finished your English classes yet. We'll wait.
My English requirement was fulfilled two semesters ago. The first English class, which I took in 2007 at a community college, transferred.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Spang wrote: I never claimed to be on a moral high ground.
Not in as many words, no. But let us not fuck around and pretend that this whole thread hasn't been about you trying to make yourself out to be. You have your personal reasons for not eating meat and that's phenomenal. I can give you a ton of delicious vegetarian and vegan recipes (I say they're delicious because of hearsay, I wouldn't touch that shit if they paid me to.) I'm sure every single person on this board is personally familiar with at least a handful of vegetarians and vegans. One of my best friends is a raw vegan, which I find bizarre but I don't believe it's my position to tell him what he can/cannot or should/shouldn't eat. Just stop preaching. It's totally unattractive and comes out really douchy. I bet if you dropped the holier-than-thou act, you'd find a lot of people a lot more receptive to what you're dishing out (I'd suggest wrapping it in bacon too for maximum efficiency)
Laneela
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spang, you're good at replying with one liners because you have very little to add beyond that. You also have a habit of having jack shit to say and post a link to something because you can't contribute much personal thought on matters. If, for some reason, you enjoy knowingly presenting yourself as an asshole, you should probably do a little more than throw back one liners. It doesn't help your cause. So far on your threads, the only thing I find amusing is your attempts to provide the shortest meaningless response possible, avoiding the tidal wave of facts or actual deeper opinions thrown back in your face.

I no longer think you're trolling. I'm convinced you're clueless.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:I'm convinced you're clueless.
I'm convinced that no amount of words will change your opinion of animals. Look, another one-liner.