Prop 8 overturned

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Prop 8 overturned

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Prop 8 overturned in California.  A battle won, but not the war.  Count on an appeal.  Still, it's a cause for celebration.

After reading some of the prosecution's "evidence" I'm in awe that the lawyers had the balls to stand in front of a judge and be put on the record repeating that garbage.  You cannot discriminate based on religious grounds.  It will not hold up in a court of law.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Prop 8 overturned

Post by Canelek »

One of many steps ahead. I am happy with this outcome.
en kærlighed småkager
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Great news for all the people that was to get married!

Hopefully this judgement holds up.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Yeah, heard it today, was great to see that they finally got to their senses....and yeah, i expect an appeal from the cristian fundies.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Gay marriage and marijuana need to be legalized on the same day. Stoned gay people are funny.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

'Twas a beautiful day in the gayborhood.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:Gay marriage and marijuana need to be legalized on the same day. Stoned gay people are funny.
Once it's legal, will you smoke a fattie?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Once it's legal, will you smoke a fattie?
I don't think Winnow is gay.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

New political arithmetic in California...

(6,401,482 voting citizens + 1 gay judge) > 7,001,084 voting citizens

Just a few short weeks ago the Lefties were screaming because judge Martin Feldman in Louisiana owned some drilling stocks yet he ruled on the offshore drilling ban.

Yet we have a gay judge assigned to adjudicate a gay marriage suit?

We are expected to look the other way because the judge's "gayness" can't possibly influence his decision regarding that very trait which seems to trump all other human aspects of a gay person's identity. I don't think so. Yet, if a straight judge had been assigned to hear the case wouldn't this entail the same problem? The gay community would distrust the ability of the judge to set aside his/her subtle bias. No matter who wins this case, the judiciary loses. Perhaps they should just let the people decide? What a novel approach, sort of like democracy or something. You know, government "of the people, by the people, for the people".
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Metanis wrote:The Law > 7,001,084 voting citizens
I fixed that for ya.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Just a few short weeks ago the Lefties were screaming because judge Martin Feldman in Louisiana owned some drilling stocks
He chose to purchase those stocks....Vaughn Walker never chose to be a homosexual.

We are expected to look the other way because the judge's "gayness" can't possibly influence his decision regarding that very trait which seems to trump all other human aspects of a gay person's identity. I don't think so. Yet, if a straight judge had been assigned to hear the case wouldn't this entail the same problem?.
So you're basically saying that homosexuals should not be allowed to rule on issues regarding homosexual rights?
Should heterosexual judges not be allowed to rule on any matters regarding heterosexual rights?
Should black judges be disallowed from hearing any issues regarding of race?
What about religion?
What about gender?
Last edited by miir on August 6, 2010, 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The Law > 7,001,084 voting citizens

OK funny boy. Now, while avoiding circular logic, explain where "The Law" comes from?
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

miir wrote:
Just a few short weeks ago the Lefties were screaming because judge Martin Feldman in Louisiana owned some drilling stocks
He chose to purchase those stocks....Vaughn Walker never chose to be a homosexual.
What a ridiculous comment. If anything it only proves that Walker is more "invested" in his potential for bias than Feldman. Either that or you are implying his bias should be excused because he's a homosexual?!?

Or could it simply be that your moronic comment is only intended to provide a sort of victim status for Walker in order to buy him some cover? So are you saying that homosexuals are automatically victims?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Metanis wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:The Law > 7,001,084 voting citizens

OK funny boy. Now, while avoiding circular logic, explain where "The Law" comes from?
In this particular case, the law was interpreted by a panel of judges elected by the people whose job it is to, you know, interpret law.

Is this really that hard to understand or are you being facetious? I don't see where you're trying to go with this...
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

miir wrote: So you're basically saying that homosexuals should not be allowed to rule on issues regarding homosexual rights?
Should heterosexual judges not be allowed to rule on any matters regarding heterosexual rights?
Should black judges be disallowed from hearing any issues regarding of race?
What about religion?
What about gender?
Hey, I'm not the one trying to define the "new" normal. That would be your crowd. Your questions are trite and laughable. Society has been dealing with race, gender, and religion for most of human history. Focus on sexual preference is something new in our lifetimes.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I don't see where you're trying to go with this...
Coward.

You know that all LAW emanates from God! (Or possibly the "consent of the governed")?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Which God would that be? Yours or mine?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Metanis wrote:Perhaps they should just let the people decide?
No, you're not supposed to vote on rights, that's why they're called rights. If we voted on the rights of minorities, black people would still be picking our cotton, and we wouldn't be celebrating the 45th Anniversary of the Voting Rights Act today, because of racist and straight-supremacist shitbags like you.
Last edited by Spang on August 6, 2010, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Spang wrote:No, you're not supposed to vote on rights, that's why they're called rights.
So where do these rubbery things called "rights" come from? You blow them out of your prison hole?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Metanis wrote:So where do these rubbery things called "rights" come from?
The United States Constitution.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Spang wrote:
Metanis wrote:So where do these rubbery things called "rights" come from?
The United States Constitution.
Another coward.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Metanis wrote:So where do these rubbery things called "rights" come from? You blow them out of your prison hole?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWiBt-pq ... tube_gdata

Where do Rights come from? George Carlin said it best. Skip to 4:20, grab a pencil and take notes Metanis.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on August 6, 2010, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Metanis wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:I don't see where you're trying to go with this...
Coward.

You know that all LAW emanates from God! (Or possibly the "consent of the governed")?
hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

The funny thing is, Metanis says nutty things and then is shocked, SHOCKED (and butthurt) that people think he's a nut. There's tons of room for thoughtful, considerate discussion with reasonable people who hold opposing views, but for the Metanises and Kilmolls of the world, it's just a waste of time. I love it when the raving loons become comically indignant when people choose merely to mock the stupid things they say than to chase the rabbit of having a discussion with them.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Metanis will either disappear from this thread, or have no response to the Carlin bit which was the most direct answer to his questions and insinuations.

Pwned from beyond the fucking grave.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Metanis will either disappear from this thread, or have no response to the Carlin bit which was the most direct answer to his questions and insinuations.

Pwned from beyond the fucking grave.
Actually George does a pretty good job for an atheist. He makes my point for me, though, you only have the rights that you can convince society to grant you. In other words, those rights are pretty elastic. So elastic that 1 single judge in California thinks that he can find a new right in the Constitution which doesn't exist there. Now, if he can get enough people to buy into his fraud then it's a done deal. However, I think those 7 Million people who voted against this "right" might decide they aren't going to accede quite so easily.

So when miir posits that the Law is greater than 7 Million I'm asking what law? A majority of citizens attempted to define the law as they want it to be enforced on themselves. So then Fairly Grimy attempts to claim that the judge was just trying to "interpret" the law. But if the law doesn't come from the consent of the governed then it's not law, it's tyranny.

This judge has edged over the line and did his profession dirty. You think those 7 Million people will have the same respect for "the law" after this? They might remember this come November.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Where in the Constitution does it state that gays and lesbians can't have the same rights as straight people?
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Spang wrote:Where in the Constitution does it state that gays and lesbians can't have the same rights as straight people?
somewhere in the back
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Well now we have two sepperate issues to discuss...

First off, marriage itself.
As part of the Protestant Reformation, the role of recording marriages and setting the rules for marriage passed to the state, reflecting Martin Luther's view that marriage was a "worldly thing".[36] By the 1600s many of the Protestant European countries had a state involvement in marriage. As of 2000, the average marriage age range was 25–44 years for men and 22–39 years for women. In England, under the Anglican Church, marriage by consent and cohabitation was valid until the passage of Lord Hardwicke's Act in 1753. This act instituted certain requirements for marriage, including the performance of a religious ceremony observed by witnesses.[37]

As part of the Counter-Reformation, in 1563 the Council of Trent decreed that a Roman Catholic marriage would be recognized only if the marriage ceremony was officiated by a priest with two witnesses. The Council also authorized a Catechism, issued in 1566, which defined marriage as, "The conjugal union of man and woman, contracted between two qualified persons, which obliges them to live together throughout life."[38]
Many people still hold to that belief. That marriage is a function of the church and should follow its laws. And civil unions would be a funcion of the state. This is simple semantics. If california legaly allowed civil unions for gay couples then this simply was a struggle to call it marriage and nothing more. However if a gay civil union was not allowed (wich i am unsure of) then it becomes an issue of civil rights...

Now the one word everyone loves to throw around is "Democracy". The United States is not and never will be a "Democracy". It is a Constitutional Republic. With a true democracy, we would have chaos and anarchy. Give me enough money and in a Democracy I could get 51% of the people to vote me as the new Emperor. So no, our Republic is bound by the letter of the Constitution. And the constitution is quite clear (even though often ignored since it's inception) on civil rights. If two people want to live together as one "family" entity, I believe it is protected that they may. Whether it be a man and woman, a man and man, a son and mother... It does not have to revolve around sexuality. A household is a household. Plain and simple. It's the left's own fault for wanting to call it marriage in the first place that brings the fight. Had they not been so set upon the symantics, there never would have been the need for the discusion in the first place.
Sick Balls!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Why give gays rights? After all, the "moral majority" has already made allowances for Negros, womenfolk, atheists and foreigners.... Hell, civil war reenactments are at an all time low turnout anyway.....
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

The Defense of Marriage Act prevents gay and lesbian couples from receiving full civil rights. Even in states with legalized same-sex marriage and/or civil unions, they're missing out on 1,138 rights.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Metanis wrote:This judge has edged over the line and did his profession dirty. You think those 7 Million people will have the same respect for "the law" after this? They might remember this come November.
Hopefully so because he was a Republican appointment twice, and not just any Republican. That hateful, mentally deficient puppet and every right-wing nutbar's all-time favorite fetish, Ronald Reagan appointed him to his first federal position. HW appointed him to his current position. He even had some difficulties getting confirmed initially because he was viewed as being too conservative and insensitive to gays, his own orientation not withstanding.

As spang alludes to, the constitution doesn't provide anyone with the right to marry, gay, straight or otherwise. It does however, guarantee equal protection under the law, and denying a minority class of citizens the same rights as the majority due to the (primarily) religious objections of many (perhaps even a majority) is EXACTLY the sort of thing that our shitty constitution endeavors to prevent. It's one of the few things that the founding douchebags got right. That's probably not very well explained in your tea party's pocket constitution with Glenn Beck commentary.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Metanis,

Strictly out of curiousity, why would you give a shit who gets married anyway?
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Noysyrump wrote:It's the left's own fault for wanting to call it marriage in the first place that brings the fight. Had they not been so set upon the symantics, there never would have been the need for the discusion in the first place.
It's entirely intentional. In addition to the short term goal of giving equal rights, something I support, the battle in semantics is aimed a creating a societal change. Change the words and you change the thoughts.

To me marriage carries a religious\social connotation, related but independent of the civil aspect.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aabidano wrote:To me marriage carries a religious\social connotation, related but independent of the civil aspect.
Marriage carries a shitload of rights that are only afforded to straight people.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Spang wrote:
Aabidano wrote:To me marriage carries a religious\social connotation, related but independent of the civil aspect.
Marriage carries a shitload of rights that are only afforded to straight people.
Those same rights should be extended to all people, regardless of orientation. However that's a civil issue, not (necessarily) a religious one.

And doesn't negate the fact that the verbiage that's being fought over has the intent of creating societal changes, not legal ones.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Tyek wrote:Metanis,

Strictly out of curiousity, why would you give a shit who gets married anyway?
Because God Fox News told him to.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

If Metanis was ass raped by a slow moving chainsaw, would anyone notice?
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Conservative Bush attorney explains why the will of 7 million voters is meaningless in this case:

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2010/ ... ace-olson/
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

That guy's fucking awesome. I'd have his babies.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I really encourage watching this video, especially the back and forth that follows Perkins' first statement:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6754377n
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

ted olson is a real republican and not some drooling bigot shit stain ala metanis who don't deserve rights because they are nazi terrorist racists.

peace out
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Gays and lesbians may be able to get married in California as early as the 18th of August. Opposite-sex-married couples in California, and the bordering cities, your marriages are still safe. For now.

Judge Walker's order.