Travel Suggestions

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Travel Suggestions

Post by Tyek »

Since we have quite a few people who have traveled all over, or are from other parts of the world, I was hoping for some help.

This is exceptionally early, but my wife held a surprise 40th birthday party for me. Since she will now anticipate a surprise party, I decided to go a different route. I have told her next year I will take her anywhere in the world she would like to go. She has been to Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Costa Rica, and Mexico with me. She has been to Australia and England before as well. So we are looking at Greece, Denmark, Spain and back to Italy again as options. We are looking at 2 weeks of vacation, so we can visit several locations. So the question is, where would you go and why? Thanks for the help.

We are looking at the Feb timeframe for the record.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Travel Suggestions

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote: So we are looking at Greece, Denmark, Spain and back to Italy again as options. We are looking at 2 weeks of vacation, so we can visit several locations. So the question is, where would you go and why? Thanks for the help.

Feb would be cold, but of those countries, I would suggest Italy. There are simply too many ancient ruins and art to see to pass up. I'd recommend checking out Rome and then heading down to Pompeii to see the well preserved Ancient Roman city with the bodies frozen in time, then check out Florence and Venice, and if you have time, head up north to Milan where you will see slightly more civilized Italians.

Spain: Saw Bull Fight in sitting in front row when I was less than 10 years old. Traumatizing and bloody. That's about it for Spain!

Denmark: yeah yeah... D R U G S...weeee. That's it for Denmark!

Greece: Now that might be interesting as well, depending on your interest in Ancient History. Maybe a cruise around the various city states. I'd take Italy over Greece though. More stuff, in smaller area. Shorter people so you can see over everyone's head in crowds.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Denmark has Drolgin too!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Winnow wrote:
Tyek wrote: So we are looking at Greece, Denmark, Spain and back to Italy again as options. We are looking at 2 weeks of vacation, so we can visit several locations. So the question is, where would you go and why? Thanks for the help.

Feb would be cold, but of those countries, I would suggest Italy. There are simply too many ancient ruins and art to see to pass up. I'd recommend checking out Rome and then heading down to Pompeii to see the well preserved Ancient Roman city with the bodies frozen in time, then check out Florence and Venice, and if you have time, head up north to Milan where you will see slightly more civilized Italians.

Spain: Saw Bull Fight in sitting in front row when I was less than 10 years old. Traumatizing and bloody. That's about it for Spain!

Denmark: yeah yeah... D R U G S...weeee. That's it for Denmark!

Greece: Now that might be interesting as well, depending on your interest in Ancient History. Maybe a cruise around the various city states. I'd take Italy over Greece though. More stuff, in smaller area. Shorter people so you can see over everyone's head in crowds.
We loved ancient Rome, spent 4 days visiting old churches, buildings, the Forum and Colosseum. Only spent a day in Venice, so would like to go back. We actually stayed in an old mansion that was being used as the Swiss embassey in Florence. It was amazing. That's why we were thinking Greece. All the old buildings and we could still shoot up to Venice and maybe even Milan, which we essentially just drove by and got gas in.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Somalia. It's got pirates.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Setting aside that Winnow has some weird idea that Denmark is riddled with drugs (hint: Amsterdam isn't Danish, it's in the Netherlands), I have to say that Denmark in Feb. isn't going to be awesome. It's just gray and dark and dingy, people are miserable. Had you said June or July I would've totally endorsed a trip here.

Dunno about Greece, only been once on a package holiday ages ago.

Spain: depends a hell of a lot on where you'd want to go. Stay out of the worst of the touristy spots. The Alhambra and Salamanca are more than worth a visit, it's not too bad of a drive from Madrid to Salamanca (I'd guess 200 km) and you could visit Portugal as well if you want to. Barcelona is always, always worth a visit. La Sagrada Familia will knock your socks off and send them flying into the next time zone. MACBA and the Picasso Museum are both worth a visit.

I think I'd fly to Barcelona or Madrid and rent a car. You could drive to Bilbao and see the Guggenheim or down to Barcelona, or to Valencia, Alhambra, Grenada... Hell, you could go to Barcelona for a few days and just follow the mediterranean west to the portuguese border, passing through Campello, Grenada and other awesomeness on your way to Faro.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Why not go East instead? Japan, Okinawa, even Hong Kong would be a nice trip. India I think would be much like the US seeing as they have a lot of our jobs there.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Because Japan in the winter is very similar to the frozen parts of Hell? Maybe something Equatorial, but not Japan/China.

I've heard the Greek islands are fucking awesome when it's warm, but I'm not sure how early Spring comes to the Aegean. I'm also a Classic history nerd, and could probable get lost for days in some of the amazing sites there.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

masteen wrote:Because Japan in the winter is very similar to the frozen parts of Hell? Maybe something Equatorial, but not Japan/China.

I've heard the Greek islands are fucking awesome when it's warm, but I'm not sure how early Spring comes to the Aegean. I'm also a Classic history nerd, and could probable get lost for days in some of the amazing sites there.
That's what we were thinking, we could have spent 3 days in the area around the Forum.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Why not go East instead? Japan, Okinawa, even Hong Kong would be a nice trip. India I think would be much like the US seeing as they have a lot of our jobs there.
You definitely do NOT want to go to Japan in February. I've been there in February and would not recommend it as a good month to go there.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

But seriously, go to Haiti.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spang wrote:But seriously, go to Haiti.
Some relatives passed by Haiti just after the quake on a cruise stop. The Port was far away from where the Quake hit. They were served their drinks just fine and everything appeared normal. The tourism industry is up and running in Haiti!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I think Spang wants me dead.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:I think Spang wants me dead.

No seriously, go to Haiti, help them rebuild. It'll be rewarding. If I had the money I'd go.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

My wife is a Nurse and seriously thought about it, but with my foot issues and all the stuff with the kids, it was too hard to pull off. I know a number of nurses from her hospital did go help.

That's actually not a bad thought though. I had never considered that. I will bring it up to her.

I still think you want me dead though. :D
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Help yourself to a case of dysentery is what you'll do!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I'd rather have dysentery than be a conservative.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I think the people of Hawaii are still suffering from the big Tsunami scare. I should go there and see what I can do to help surf! :D
en kærlighed småkager
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

go see lake malawi and visit south africa this is pretty much the best suggestion your ever going to get.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:go see lake malawi and visit south africa this is pretty much the best suggestion your ever going to get.
seriously you will love me if you do it and come back and say, stragi you sure were right!!!!!!!!!
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

oh and don't fly you can get in with a land cruiser tour and see some really amazing stuff in africa.

if you go read ride reports for africa at advrider.com/forums you can see what it's like, lots of them take bike trips through the eastern part of africa.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:oh and don't fly you can get in with a land cruiser tour and see some really amazing stuff in africa.

if you go read ride reports for africa at advrider.com/forums you can see what it's like, lots of them take bike trips through the eastern part of africa.
Thanks Stragi, we will check it out.
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Canelek wrote:I think the people of Hawaii are still suffering from the big Tsunami scare. I should go there and see what I can do to help surf! :D
That's what I was thinking! Mmmm Hawaii !
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

It will be summer in Australia/New Zeeland. Mauritius might be a good place to take the woman as well for one of those Tropical Island Getaways. (not the one in Mexico... Marietias. I failed at spelling it first go round.)

If yer dead set on Europa, dont write off the eastern states as well. But again gonna be as cold as a witch's tit in Moscow. Turkey would be a nice place to see if yer up for some "exotic", Istanbul is full of history and although it's worlds apart from our lives here in the west, It will be just similar enough you wont go into shock. Unlike Mecca. And do I even need to mention Egypt?
Sick Balls!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You forgot Poland!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

How about Asia?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Noysyrump wrote:It will be summer in Australia/New Zeeland. Mauritius might be a good place to take the woman as well for one of those Tropical Island Getaways. (not the one in Mexico... Marietias. I failed at spelling it first go round.)
TBH summer isn't the time to visit Australia, unless you're a fan of visiting Las Vegas in the summer. Spring/Fall is the ideal time to be on the coast here (which is where 83% of us live, or within 30 miles of it at least, not me though...), and winter is the ideal time to be in the desert (Ayer's Rock, etc).

Summer on the north coast == sweating your ring out and can't go in the water cause it's full of box jellyfish.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Go visit a rainforest and harvest rare herbs / berries. Travel the length of Chile. Live amongst indigenous people and do their drugs.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

We did Costa Rica this year. Did the Rainforest thing, I ziplined over the rivers and canopies. My brother lives there. He got me a 2 million dollar condo for 4 days too. The condo was bigger then my house. I should post some pics, it was close to the beach. In Costa Rica no one can have property closer to 300 feet from the beach.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:We did Costa Rica this year. Did the Rainforest thing, I ziplined over the rivers and canopies. My brother lives there.
Rush Limbaugh's going to be his neighbor there shortly.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

We're going to Italy in May. We're just going to spend a couple of weeks in Rome and take little trips to places we can get to by train. If we had more time and didn't mind flying, I'd go to Sicily and stay near Taormina. I don't recall there being a lot to do except sit on the beach and watch Etna erupt and eat lots of delicious food, but I don't really like to do stuff on vacation.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Ok I have a travel agent sending me the Lake Malawi stuff, he says that time of year a safari in Tanzania is probably better but at 7-10K a person that is a lot. Keep em coming guys the wife is loving the ideas.

Syenye - We stayed at a little boutique hotel on the wall of the Vatican, was about 400 years old and was very cool. I tipped the concierge a 20 euro the first day and he treated us like kings. He sent us emails making sure that we made it home safe, told us where to go, where to eat, etc...

A little tipping can really help, I bought a breakfast for the family that was 15 euro and they gave me back my 5, when I told her to keep it she was stunned.

I would check out St Moritz. It was Aspen on steroids. Expensive as hell, but very cool to see. Lots of Russian oil money there. My dad wanted a sweater and a brown simple sweater was 1000 euro. We bought lunch there, 2 orders of Fondu, a couple sodas and some pasta. It was about 200 euro.

We did Neuenswanstein Castle, It's in Germany. (the inspiration for Walts Famous Disney Castle) but the wife thought it was pretty commercialized. What was amazing was just driving from Austria to Rome and looking on the hills and seeing old Roman fortifications, castles, etc...
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Ok I have a travel agent sending me the Lake Malawi stuff, he says that time of year a safari in Tanzania is probably better but at 7-10K a person that is a lot. Keep em coming guys the wife is loving the ideas.

Syenye - We stayed at a little boutique hotel on the wall of the Vatican, was about 400 years old and was very cool. I tipped the concierge a 20 euro the first day and he treated us like kings. He sent us emails making sure that we made it home safe, told us where to go, where to eat, etc...

A little tipping can really help, I bought a breakfast for the family that was 15 euro and they gave me back my 5, when I told her to keep it she was stunned.

I would check out St Moritz. It was Aspen on steroids. Expensive as hell, but very cool to see. Lots of Russian oil money there. My dad wanted a sweater and a brown simple sweater was 1000 euro. We bought lunch there, 2 orders of Fondu, a couple sodas and some pasta. It was about 200 euro.

We did Neuenswanstein Castle, It's in Germany. (the inspiration for Walts Famous Disney Castle) but the wife thought it was pretty commercialized. What was amazing was just driving from Austria to Rome and looking on the hills and seeing old Roman fortifications, castles, etc...
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Neuschwanstein is very commercial. I would recommend a trip along the Rhein while stopping to check out the various castles and keeps there. There are several that are family run, and kept in great condition. February might be a little rough for that though, and you would miss out on some of the sights.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

where is that Stragi?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Somalia.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

Tyek wrote:Syenye - We stayed at a little boutique hotel on the wall of the Vatican, was about 400 years old and was very cool. I tipped the concierge a 20 euro the first day and he treated us like kings. He sent us emails making sure that we made it home safe, told us where to go, where to eat, etc...
Do you remember the name of the place?
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Tyek wrote:where is that Stragi?
lake malawi in february
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Syenye wrote:
Tyek wrote:Syenye - We stayed at a little boutique hotel on the wall of the Vatican, was about 400 years old and was very cool. I tipped the concierge a 20 euro the first day and he treated us like kings. He sent us emails making sure that we made it home safe, told us where to go, where to eat, etc...
Do you remember the name of the place?
Will look it up. I have it somewhere. Was pretty reasonable.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote: I would check out St Moritz. It was Aspen on steroids. Expensive as hell, but very cool to see. Lots of Russian oil money there. My dad wanted a sweater and a brown simple sweater was 1000 euro. We bought lunch there, 2 orders of Fondu, a couple sodas and some pasta. It was about 200 euro.

I spent a week in St Moritz but it was like -20F most of the time so it wasn't the best ski vacation. I have a 2 liter Beer Boot glass from a bar there. We spent a lot of time in the heated indoor swimming pool. The EX Shah of Iran used to hang out in St Moritz before things went bad. Hard to say if it's worth visiting.

Neuschwanstein (interesting spellings above!) is "fairytale" classic but I found Hearst Castle in California to be a more interesting visit. I've been to both places twice.

I'd recommend spending the entire cost of the trip on a kick ass home theater room and then watch some nice blu ray videos of various parts of the world. When the experience is all over, you'll still have your home theater to watch porn/sports/movies.

I'd recommend:

The movie was filmed at 152 locations in 24 countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Ecuador, Egypt, France, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Kuwait, Nepal, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, and the United States. It contains no dialogue. Instead of a story or plot, the film uses themes to present new perspectives and evoke emotion purely through cinema. The film was the first in over twenty years to be photographed in the 70mm Todd-AO format.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I saw the beginning of that flick in my Advanced Editing class. From what I saw, it looked really good.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:Neuschwanstein (interesting spellings above!) is "fairytale" classic but I found Hearst Castle in California to be a more interesting visit. I've been to both places twice.
Hey now, I got it right!