Posterior Tibial Tendon Rupture

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Posterior Tibial Tendon Rupture

Post by Tyek »

Has anyone here dealt with this before?

I am currently on crutches and in a walking cast for this. My foot had been hurting me for about 2 months, my wife finally got me to go to a doctor and they said potential fracture or bone bruise and not much I could do. I had already paid for 2 golf tournaments for work and coach 2 soccer teams, so I continued to push myself. In the last tournament on the first swing, it felt like someone put a golf ball under my feet. I went back to a real podiatrist and found out I had this problem and 3 fractures in my heel.

The arch is so painful I did not know I had the fractures in my heel. I have an MRI next week to determine how extensive the damage is, but for some reason, my injuries never show up on MRI's so I don't expect much. Immobolizing the foot seems to help and the pain has dropped a bit, so I am hoping for no surgery, but reading about this problem, it sounds like the only way I will get better will be through surgery. I have had flat feet my whole life, and with my arthritis and the reangling of my legs in my last several surgeries it looks like the tendon blew out.

Has anyone had this surgery, or sprained the area? Did the sprain hurt badly. I can't even feel the fractures since the arch hurts so bad, so chances are this is not good news. I played most of a soccer season with 2 torn ligaments and torn cartilage and played and worked on a broken hand for weeks, so I have pretty severe pain thresholds (which seem to work against me since I do more damage...see above).

Any help is appreciated.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon Rupture

Post by Ashur »

I once tore my ACL in half. It was ouchies.
- Ash
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Jesus Tyek you're a mess.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Yeah it's been a tough decade...getting old sucks.

MRI results in tomorrow. Not expecting much though, they never show shit.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

ummm that went BADLY. I have a torn Posterior Tibial Tendon and a torn distal peroneus longus tendon. I also have 3 fractures in the heel and 2 on the top of my foot. What is amazing is that I have not had a major trama. She thinks I was adapting my walk and damaged myself worse. The worst part is she said I probably have similar tears in my left foot. Apparently I have had a thickening of the tendons for years, but the knees hid the pain. The tendon went as long as it could and gave up. With the flat feet I have I will eventually have this in my left foot too. If I had been overweight it would have been apparent earlier.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Heading off to surgery. Getting the tendon replaced and they are going to cut the heel bone, insert a cadaver bone slice to re-angle the foot. Going to be a LOOOOOOOOONGGGGG day.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Good luck!
I started having that type of pain in my right foot 2 weeks ago. I was waiting for it to go away, but now I'm hypochondriacing it into something like this. Lots of similair issues/symptoms.
:(
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

rhyae wrote:Good luck!
I started having that type of pain in my right foot 2 weeks ago. I was waiting for it to go away, but now I'm hypochondriacing it into something like this. Lots of similair issues/symptoms.
:(
For your sake I hope it's just Plantar Fasciitis.
I had that a few years ago and while it's really quite painful, it's nowhere near as nasty as a posterior tibial tendon tear.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Thanks Rhyae. I was supposed to be done in 2 hours and went over 3 hours total. The doctor told my wife the damage was much worse then they thought. I guess I had a bone actually embedded in the tendon too. It is definitely a painful surgery and being no weight bearing for the next 2 months and on crutches for 12 weeks is going to suck.

Things went ok overall, will know more on follow up with the doctor on Monday.

What symptoms do you have? The PTTD issues are related to your arch. One way to see if you have it is to try and stand on your tip toes. Apparently you are not supposed to be able to do it. I was still able to do so. She made me do it before we went into surgery and I was able to do 10, which may be why it was worse them she thought.

I think there is a checklist on the first post. If you have some symptoms, send me a pm and I will tell you everything I know, which is not much, but would be happy to help where I can.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Tyek wrote: I guess I had a bone actually embedded in the tendon too.
Holy crap
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

My cast...I got the pink one for 2 reasons. 1 my sister in law found a lump and is awaiting results of some tests and 2 my girls soccer team I coach qualified for a regional tournament. Since my coaching duties have been cut dramatically, I thought I would give some emotional support where I can.

We had to win or tie this weekend, I was supposed to stay home, but convinced the wife to let me watch. The refs were awful and started kicking people out for questioning anything. The other coach I share the team with got kicked out in the second half and I had to roll my wheelchair along the sidelines keeping the team from imploding. We ended up with the tie and a invitation and I ended up with a very swollen foot.

The doctors appointment went well. Although the damage was significant. I guess my MRI history continues. It always shows less damage then really is there. The doctor was hoping to clean up the tendon, but when she went in, it was completely torn and shredded. She was really surprised I could do toe raises, much less walk. 7 more weeks no weight bearing then a month of partial weight to go!

Sorry for all the updates but I am bored staying home already. I am a month ahead on paperwork.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

As a follow up, though I know most of you do not care. I was recovering nicely and started rehab, the foot was killing me though and the nerve on the side of the foot they broke was acting up. The foot felt broken and my nerve would cause a burning sensation near the top of my foot near the small toe. I also had no feeling in that area. I could stick a needle in my foot and not feel it.

The xrays showed the bone had healed nicely, and the tendon had been doing great, but the pain continued and I was worried the nerve might be permenantly damaged. I would get electric shocks, the burning feeling, or it would feel like water was floating in my foot and on the skin. It hurt like hell. I finally got a CAT SCAN and apparently the xrays were wrong. My broken reangled foot never fused. So I have been coaching, walking, and doing physical therapy, including riding an excercise bike and leg presses as well as balancing exercises on a severely broken foot. They think the swelling from that is pressing the nerve and causing the sensations.

So I convinced them to let me wear a boot instead of casting the foot, so I could drive for work, but otherwise I am in a boot full time (except driving) and non weight bearing for 6 more weeks. I also have to wear a bone stimulator for 3 hours a day.

I also found out that in California, you are only allowed 6 temporary handicap parking passes. I am now on my 7th thanks to the 10 surgeries on my legs. I rarely use it, but when I have to carry something with crutches it comes in handy. With another foot surgery on the way and then, long term 2 knee replacements it meant I am screwed, but my doctor said I have earned the full time one when the time comes....getting old sucks!
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Damn man, my Mom is still getting over a broken foot after a year and a half. It's definitely something that causes a great deal of havoc in your daily life if even the slightest thing goes wrong. Well wishes to your recovery.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Thanks...It's already been a long year.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

For the record Tyek, I bet we all care that you recover quickly and feel better.
i can't imagine how much pain and how much it is a pain to deal with.

I still have to get to an orothopedist for my ankle. I fucked it up about 13 years ago on a vacuum hose and everytime I begin to start to run again, I re-sprain it over the little of ground deviations. I know it's a tendon but I hope it doesn't require surgery. Pretty brutal but at least you are recovering. Hang in there my man.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Chidoro wrote:For the record Tyek, I bet we all care that you recover quickly and feel better.
i can't imagine how much pain and how much it is a pain to deal with.

I still have to get to an orothopedist for my ankle. I fucked it up about 13 years ago on a vacuum hose and everytime I begin to start to run again, I re-sprain it over the little of ground deviations. I know it's a tendon but I hope it doesn't require surgery. Pretty brutal but at least you are recovering. Hang in there my man.
Thanks Chidoro, I appreciate it.

The tendon was replaced actually and seems to be doing well. Unfortunately I was doing so well that they started me on therapy. So for 2 months I have been working out on a broken foot. My big hope is that the nerve is ok and just a symptom of the broken foot
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Well the nerve damage is temporary, 11-12 months of pain should be all I have ahead of me, back under the knife this week to rebreak the foot and put a plate in. I am really really tired...
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

If I knew how long I had before the primary cause of pain in my life was to end, I'd persevere knowing what I have to look forward to, with every ounce of strength and at any cost. Best wishes.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Its just one of many pains, but the most prominent at the moment. The doctor laughed when I was happy with the news. He figured most people would be upset, but like you said, I have a potential end date on that sucker and it made my day. Much better then hearing it was a permanent thing!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Well, latest update...back on my feet. I now have a permanent handicap parking pass that I can use on the days I am really hurting. Unfortunately the plate they had to put in my foot is shredding the Perionius brevis tendon everytime I walk. The tendon is now more prominent then my ankle bone, but I can walk. The key I am told is to work out enough to keep the tendon mobile, while not working out too much because of the pain it creates. Feels like the worst tendonitis ever. They can remove the plate in March, so surgery 12 on my legs coming up soon. My other concern is the knee is not good enough to handle this, I am walking a bit weird to compensate and the knee is not happy with me. I have already had this one worked on 6 times, I don't need more issues. The other torn posterior tendon is responding well to the inserts, so I should be able to avoid surgery on that one for a while. The nerve still hurts, but the tendon is overpowering it. I am still coaching though, even went on the field and played for a bit with the girls yesterday.

I just wish I could have just 1 pain free day. I have gotten so beaten down and depressed with all this.....
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Sounds like someone needs a *S*N*U*G*G*L*E*B*U*N*N*I*E*S* !
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Anything that will whip me out of this depression would be great.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Tyek wrote:Anything that will whip me out of this depression would be great.
Hey, I hear you on that one. I dunno your situation, but if you're not being medicated for depression, change that. And even then it's not a full fix, but it helps.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Well,

Heading out the next 2 weeks for a combo of work meetings, then straight to Belize for vacation, then...surgery again.

Yup, number 12 on the leg, third on the ankle. This time they are removing the plate from the last one, opening the tendon that had wrapped around my nerve and fixing another ligament the plate was damaging. So back into the breach I go. Sorry to bore you all, but I have shared this much, might as well share my misery.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Really hope surgery goes well and you have less pain soon :)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Zaelath wrote:Really hope surgery goes well and you have less pain soon :)
Thanks!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

When you describe your surgery, all I see are ICD9 and CPT codes. I'm like the guy from the Martix. All I see are numbers!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

HAH! I processed medical claims for an insurance company and for a while it was the same for me. That was a good 10 years ago though.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Nice Bubba and Fair!

Well, they did the surgery. Got back from Belize at Midnight on Monday and had the surgery Tuesday morning. Plate was removed. The tendon was twice the normal size due to scar tissue so they thinned it out and back to normal size. They also tightened the ligament, which was stretched out and they were able to identify and free the damaged nerve, but it is very scarred, so they are not sure if that pain will be long term. Man does this surgery hurt. Add the fact that I was sick and it has been a rough couple days. Sweating, coughing, manufacturing buckets of mucus and passing out from exhaustion every hour, I am one sexy beast right now.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I now have severe arthritis in my ankle, just the Dr pushing on it several times drained my energy. This song speaks to me on so many levels, I am fighting back, playing softball, golfing, physical therapy and coaching the girls soccer, but I have too admit, I think it may be a losing battle. Tired of pain meds, cortizone shots and the like. After 20 years of constant pain, surgeries, and setbacks I feel like the pain is winning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXr3CCQPxJY
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I actually played in a coaches soccer game today. Considering what I have been through it was an amazing moment for me. The team I coach won a tournament today so had to walk the sidelines for 4 games this weqekend, jumped in the car after handing out medals and got to the game just in time. I played about 70 minutes and actually was one of the best players on the field. Ankle is tender and a little swollen, knees are holding on...it felt so good. I have been going through serious depression with all the pain, so hopefully this signals a move forward.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Fingers crossed Tyek, have had a few surgeries myself but nothing that compares to that. Got my right shoulder fixed a few years back and had surgery on damaged cartilage in my left wrist also. Looks like I am gonna need surgery in the left shoulder sometime soonish as well. Nothing that compares to your history, but I feel your pain and wish you well.
Fortune favors the brave!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Thanks Tegellan, Ankle is really tender today, but I will survive. Doctor is going to kick my ass tomorrow, but it was worth it. Good luck on your procedures. Shoulder surgeries suck too. I had 2 impingement surgeries and the first one was a top 5 one for the pain. I wish you well.