Planning a Wedding

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Planning a Wedding

Post by Sylvus »

So I got engaged last week, and now comes the fun part of planning the wedding. We have a location picked out, it'll be outdoors on a lake in a large, open yard... nice landscaping, flowers, etc. We're mostly paying for it ourselves, so we're hoping to keep our budget reasonable. Just wondered if anyone had any tips or suggestions on anything regarding a wedding, really. Cool save-the-dates, things the wedding party did at the wedding, good ways to trim some of the fat out of the budget.

Any help is appreciated.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Planning a Wedding

Post by Psyloche »

Best tip to save money? Don't have one, HARHARHHRHARHRHARHARHRAHReAHEHAHAHHEHAEEAHE

Only neat idea that might be useful from ours was the guest book. We'd seen it at other weddings and thought it was a neat idea. I don't know if it really fits in the whole theme of you asking for advice to make things cheaper, but I think it's a neat idea. Most of the weddings I've been to just had a book where you'd sign your name and maybe put a comment next to it. At our wedding, we had polaroid cameras and a book that had a slot to put a polaroid picture on each page and some lines for comments/signatures.

There's 2 pretty obnoxious things about this:

1) I don't know how available Polaroid instant cameras and films are now, they were a pain to find during our wedding in January because I think they discontinued it

2) Some people are stupid and will take a lot of retarded pictures (this can also be a plus if you ignore the fact that you have to buy extra film to plan for this, because those retarded pictures are sometimes really funny)

If you like the idea, I don't even know your budget, so who knows, maybe the cost of this stuff isn't really an issue. I wish I had some tricks or advice to keep costs down, but mine was in Puerto Rico, almost everything was cheaper down there, relative to here in Northern VA/DC area.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Sylvus wrote:Just wondered if anyone had any tips or suggestions on anything regarding a wedding, really.
Yeah, don't get married.

(YouTube video is NWS due to language)
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Maybe it's because I've been through two weddings, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd prefer to have a small, casual ceremony with close friends and family only, and without all of the extra wedding BS. I could easily live without all of the other stuff that drove the costs of the event up. Having said that, however, here's a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

Don't go overboard on food or drinks. Catering and booze run up the costs significantly. If you can get away with it, just serve appetizers and non-alcoholic beverages. Once we sat down and looked at our options, we both decided there were a lot of better things to spend the money on than a sit-down meal for all of our goofy families and friends. Along the same lines, unless you're trying to impress someone, go with a DJ instead of a band for the reception.

If you're going to have to rent the location or any stuff for the ceremony (fixtures, chairs, tables, A/V equipment etc.) or pay for photographers, musicians, caterers or the like, think about having it on a day other than Saturday. Rates are generally quite a bit better than for a Saturday when there's a lot of demand for these services. Also, consider doing it outside of the normal wedding season for the same reason. We got married on a Friday night in October, and rates for everything from the site rental to catering were quite a bit better than they would have been the following evening or earlier in the year.

This morning while I was up at around 3 a.m., I saw a segment on one of the early morning news shows (don't recall which station) discussing your exact situation. They mentioned some of the same things I suggested above, but they also had one other suggestion that I thought was pretty clever especially if you guys have your eye on a fairly fancy (read "expensive") cake. Aside from the photo of the bride & groom cutting the cake, most of the time wedding cakes are cut out of view of all of the guests. This person suggested buying a much smaller version of the bride's and groom's cakes, and supplementing them with comparatively inexpensive sheet cakes. Once everything is sliced up for service, no one will ever know. At our wedding, at an old mansion here in town that is now used for weddings and other events, our cake was taken to the catering kitchen to be disassembled for service, and we totally could have gotten away with this.

Something I thought of when my sister told me that she's getting married again might be fun too. If you've got the cash to burn on a few cheapo flip video cameras and SD cards, it might be fun to have a few for the wedding party to pass around to get some candid, behind the scenes footage of the wedding day. If you're paying someone to video your ceremony and reception, they might even be able to use some of the footage when editing together your final wedding video.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

We were sort of in the same boat as you. We wanted to do it as cheap as possible since we had to pay for it ourselves. We ended up doing ours for just under $10k, and it turned out pretty nice I thought.

- Food is going to be the most expensive part, most likely. There's just not really a way to get around that unless you know somebody who can cater it on the cheap or you don't want to offer a full meal.

- Buy the flowers online and create the centerpieces, bouquets, and boutonniere yourselves if you feel up to it. We purchased bulk calla lilies through Costco and it was really inexpensive. (50 for $75 on their site right now) They shipped in a box via UPS/FedEx, but were fresh cut the previous day, according to the info that was in the box.

- If you can have it on a Sunday, you will probably be able to negotiate a better price on the venue. The place we had ours wanted twice as much for Saturday, with a higher food purchase minimum as well. Sunday was by far the better deal, and fit into our plans just fine. We had ours at a golf club, so they provided chairs as well.

- If you have a photographer friend, let them take the pictures if you have a decent camera.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

We spent about $800 on alcohol, which got us beer, wine, vodka, gin, and rum for 125 guests. We had at least one bottle of the spirits leftover, a bunch of beer, and white wine (I dropped a case of the red). I thought it was well worth the expense, but a cash bar was not an option for me. We purchased all of it from a local retailer, so we didn't have the option to return what was unused, but that would have been nice (and probably could have saved us a few hundred dollars).

We also saved a lot of money on flowers, since I only had one bridesmaid, and we had the wedding the weekend after Easter so the church was already filled with lilies. Bouquets are expensive, and so are centerpieces, and the centerpieces usually end up getting pushed aside so the guests can converse. We went with votive candles that we purchased in bulk on ebay.

Invitations can also be pricey, and irregular or heavy envelopes can mean extra postage. Anything with pockets, pouches, ribbons, or vellum can be a pain to assemble too.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Here are more details in case they'll help anyone with their suggestions.

We have the space for the wedding for free, however we will be paying for catering/a tent/chairs/etc. We're doing it on a Saturday in the summer, and there will be alcohol (My family and friends are all a bunch of drunks). Those are the non-negotiable pieces. :p I think we aren't against doing a buffet or food stations if that helps keep the cost down. The caterer will not be in charge of the alcohol, we're getting all of that ourselves which should also help keep costs down (we have a good discount connection on any wine/beer we get, I think liquor prices are controlled by the state). We're going to limit it to less than 200 people, hopefully 150-175 if it's possible to get our guest list that small. We'd really like to keep our budget under $20k if possible.

I like the idea of polaroid pictures for the guest book. I know I have one older one around somewhere... I could check ebay and whatnot for more.

I also like the idea of passing out video cameras on the wedding day. Though, knowing my fiancée, she will probably be really stressed and not want the behind-the-scenes stuff to be on film. :p

Some good suggestions on flowers and centerpieces... that's something for which I'd like to keep the budget really low. We've got a number of people who have offered to help us do the invitations ourselves, which I'd also like to do. I just heard from a friend that they spent $1500 on their invitations. No thanks!

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

My friends sent out fridge magnets as their pre-invitation save the date gimmick. Every time I get a get a drink or snack, I'm reminded of their impending doom... i mean joy.

He's a lucky guy, once they settled on a budget after getting the location booked, she took over all the planning. I don't know about most guys, but having to fake interest in napkin patterns and floral arrangement might just be enough to trigger a homicidal rampage.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

masteen wrote:My friends sent out fridge magnets as their pre-invitation save the date gimmick. Every time I get a get a drink or snack, I'm reminded of their impending doom... i mean joy.

He's a lucky guy, once they settled on a budget after getting the location booked, she took over all the planning. I don't know about most guys, but having to fake interest in napkin patterns and floral arrangement might just be enough to trigger a homicidal rampage.
My cousin did the same thing, I thought it was pretty cool.

And :lol: , too true on the planning.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

This isn't where we bought it, I can't remember the website, but I'll check with my wife if I can remember. This is what our guest books looked like though.

My cousin also did the magnet thing, I thought it was a freaking great idea, until I looked at the cost. At that point, I said fuck it, they better remember when I'm getting married.

We went what we considered cheap on the following things:

Invitations - cost us ~$200 (I think less, actually)

We didn't really care what the Invitation looked like, because we haven't kept the Invitation to anyone who's wedding we were invited to. Most of the time it was like, "Oh cool they're getting married, let me write down the date and RSVP" and that was the last time we even considered looking at the piece of illustrious paper. I think Syenye gave us the website we ended up picking from.

Her Dress

This is entirely dependent on the girl, and you know yours well enough to know whether or not suggesting getting a cheap dress is going to land you in the doghouse or not. I think her dress was like $250-$500, no more than that. Of the 5 or 6 Brides I'd talked to, most spent over $1,000 at least. I don't include my Tux because a lot of people just rent these, and I don't have some secret way to negotiate rental prices down.

Alcohol/Drinks

We only had enough bottles of champagne to do some toasts, 2 kinds of beer, rum, vodka and some fruity rum to make girly drinks with. Our place let us buy all of this and take home any that wasn't used. So when choosing what to buy, most likely it'll be stuff you like and anything not used, can be used at a later date. I've been to some weddings where they had a ton of fancy liquors and shit that nobody ended up drinking. Unless you've got some choosy people, having 2 decent beer choices (1 decent and 1 for the Miller Lite type crowd) and basics on hard liquor should be fine.

Food

We had several food packages available from the venue we had it at and went with the cheaper because honestly, this shit is expensive, and most wedding food I've had sucks anyway. We got lucky and the food was good, but if you have enough drinks to keep people satisfied, sub-par food usually isn't a big deal. We had several appetizers (mostly fried stuff because shit, everyone loves fried food right?) 2 meat dishes (pork and turkey), 2 vegetables, and rice. I didn't need to buy everyone some money steak or lobster dinners. I didn't account for the vegetarians to have their own special menu. I basically didn't give a shit about what anyone would want to eat, just what I would eat and what I would pay for I guess.

Edit:
Another kind of cool thing, which I think somebody may have posted about is putting disposable cameras on the tables of the reception. I don't think this really works with digital cameras, even though having the pictures in that format would be a lot easier probably.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

For the reception hit up all the hotels in the area. They usually will cook you a meal for free showing what they would serve your guests. Can eat for free all week.

Our wedding was really easy...for me. She and her mother did all the planning. Being as how I am not a picky person or have been dreaming of this day since I was 5, it was easy for me to sit back and let them ask me if I was ok with everything. Only thing I chimmed in on was the music and the cake. All the rest was done by them. It was a great reception and fun was had by all.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Heh.
We spent close to 30k on our wedding. :)
I have no advice for ya.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

My sister did the refrigerator magnet save-the-date announcements also. I think they're kind of goofy, but a lot of people seem to be doing them. Having a place that lets you provide your own liquor can really save you a bundle on that aspect. If we could have done that, we probably would have had a bar instead of just a little champagne for toasts. Our location only allowed liquor if it was provided by their catering service, and it would have cost far more than we were willing to spend on booze.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

I (and apparently Seithyr) ordered the wedding invitations from http://www.mygatsby.com/. There was a 15% off coupon floating around on the internets. We designed the save the date cards ourselves and ordered them from http://www.overnightprints.com/, and I was really happy with both of them. I think we spent about $300 on both. That sounds about right.

I've had several friends do the magnets, and the save the date cards are slowly being replaced by pictures of their children on our refrigerator. Someone else did little round stickers with their names on them to put on a calendar, but I don't have a traditional calendar.

I forgot to put that we were having a reception on our invitations. I think it's generally assumed, but our reception was somewhere else so it might be something to remember.

Also, congratulations!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

grats sylvus. encourage her to appeal to her father for as much stuff as possible. the less shame she has, the more stuff you can get... ie: tears, "special day" talk, etc

Also: have the wedding in a totally remote location that no one will want to or be able to attend. advise your guests that they can simply mail a gift instead. no guests = no expenses! you could probably make a profit with this plan
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Congrats! Stats on the ring?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

1.51ct round brilliant, G color, don't recall the grade of the cut or the clarity, but it had some inclusions that you can't see without a loupe (I want to say it was SI 1) and it was really well proportioned. The setting was relatively simple, a thin platinum band with another half ct of melee diamonds going down the sides. It's really sparkly, and it seems enormous; I think her skinny fingers and the small band help accentuate its size. She loves it.

Thanks for the congrats. :)

Go Blue!
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Grats SylvUs!

I had a friend do bulk candy centerpieces in the wedding colors. They stuff the inside of glass vases with bunched up newspaper and had the candy around the outside (so it looked all the way full). Looked nice with some small flowers/candles around the base. And was nice for drunken wedding snacks! Also, have seen a pasta bar as part of a buffet. Different pastas, different sauces. Maybe not the best for summer, but who knows :D
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Networking. Lots of networking. Also, do not be afraid to get your hands dirty.

For my first wedding, well, my wife was a wedding planner. Needless to say, it was the most awesome wedding ever, and it happened to be mine! She was very close to her family and they all lived along the same river in Union City, MI. Her grandmother had recently passed, and she was buried near the river. We located and semi-restored 3 antique rowboats. Those were decorated with tool and river flowers. We had our best man row us down the river in our boat, with the wedding party in the other 2 following close behind. We only had to go about 200 yards or so and ended up in a small inlet. All the wedding attendants were standing, while we sat. It was surreal in many ways. The same flowers decorated our boats also made up her bouquet and surrounded the inlet. When the vows were done, we rowed another 50 yards or so where we departed and greeted our guests. That was also an outdoor wedding. We paid for the DJ, but everything else, including the tent and grounds were free. Her grandpartents started and ran a major outdoor event at the lake every year. The tent was 30 feet high at it's highest points. That wedding was around 4k, but my wife and I did every single thing, right down to handmade invitations. Her grandfather married us. Her other grandfather gave me a diamond when he heard that I was going to purpose. He was a retired former president of De Beers Diamonds and had been saving it for her. That sounds cooler than what it was. He retired back in the late 70's when they were more into industrial diamonds, but whatever. The setting alone cost me a fucking arm and a leg, and I think I was making $9 an hour back then! We had around 350-400 guests. I was only 22 years old at the time.

All these years on the Internet and I still can't post pictures or else I would. It shows how a little creativity can go a loooong way.

My second wedding was 7 years later. It was my second wife's first wedding. I told her she could do whatever she wanted. She chose a smaller, more private wedding. My friend is a florist. Another friend had an uncle that owned a tux shop. My realtor was also a DJ. He did my wedding for free because he just sold me a house and got a fucking huge commission. My brother in law traded some webwork he did with a photographer for her to do our wedding. That wedding cost around 6k. My parents and inlaws did all of the food. The biggest expense was the tent, table, and chairs rental. That was followed by food of course. We had around 150-200 guests at my second wedding.

(I'm a big fan of outdoor weddings because I'm not religious at all.)

Here was the cool thing I did at my 2nd wedding! Instead of having the best man give a toast to me, I kind of turned the tables and intorduced my wedding party to all the guests 1 at a time. When I got to my best man, I gave a speech that brought tears to everyone's eyes. Afterwards, I had so many people come up to me and tell me how much they liked that. Usually, you go to weddings and you know nothing about the wedding party at all, so it was a nice way for everyone to see how all these friends affected our lives and intertwined wit our lives. That was a huge, huge hit.

Also, for a bachlor party, paintball is a great way for people that don't know each other to bond in 2-3 hours. These guys will be sharing war stories and buying each other drinks afterwards.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

1. Entrance themes, WWE style. Yours should be a Tupac song, either Hit 'Em Up or Picture Me Rolling. Hers should be Milkshake, by Kelis.

2. Fuck the ring shit, get a tattoo instead. Live. Have an intermission during the ceremony while you strip down and get some ink. Pass out jager bombs and champagne.

3. Your theme is tiki. Dress code is Hawaiian shirts and grass skirts.

4. Accordingly, you need a giant fake volcano of some sort.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

If there are no flaming 151 banana floats your wedding isn't reaching its potential.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Playing Billy Idol's White Wedding during the reception is a must.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The best way to stay on budget is really to talk to each other on how much you wanna spend on individual items and stick with it.

I had assumed that dresses cost somewhere between 500-800$. My wife got back and had dropped 1500 on it. Argument ensued.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Animalor wrote:I had assumed that dresses cost somewhere between 500-800$. My wife got back and had dropped 1500 on it. Argument ensued.
You should have broken up with her on the spot.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Congrats!

It may be too late, but I always suggest Jamaica. My brother's first wedding was there and only a select number of people were invited. Guests pay for air/all-inclusive package. Ceremony, food and sunset cruise all included. Absolutely gorgeous, fun and low-stress.

Grand Lido Negril was the place. It is next to Hedonism II, if you want to get a pass to go there and cut loose, girls gone wild style.

And of course, being an all-inclusive deal, all the food, booze and amenities add $0.00 to the deal. And if you are into the reefer, it is available from most resort employees for modest prices. Bring cash for this, of course. ;)

edit:

PRO-TIP: If a resort emplyee asks you if you are cool, that means they have the hippy lettuce available for sale, once again at modest prices.
en kærlighed småkager
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

make a wedding registry and just put a few radial buttons with a few monetary gifting amounts.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:
PRO-TIP: If a resort emplyee asks you if you are cool, that means they have the hippy lettuce available for sale, once again at modest prices.
PRO TIP! Insider's Guide to Jamaica
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:make a wedding registry and just put a few radial buttons with a few monetary gifting amounts.
I think we're just going to register with the US Treasury.

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Winnow wrote:
Canelek wrote:
PRO TIP! Insider's Guide to Jamaica

I'll call it.... 'Just the Pro-Tip, Mon'
en kærlighed småkager
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Congrats, Matt. Much happies to you and the lady.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Anyone aware of any good software that I could use to plot out the floor plan of the tent we'll be using? I want to throw tables in there and such and see if I can visualize what it'll look like.

Any help is appreciated.

/edit: This seems to work relatively well. http://www.partymosaic.com/event_center.php

Go Blue!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

First, Congrats.

Second, you two have to be strong. My wife and I enjoyed our own wedding but it was a mish-mosh of what everyone else wanted. Jewish-Catholic weddings must all be like that, but family will fuck things up and you two will be the only ones who it bothers 5 or 10 years later. Wife and I pissed 55k away and neither side was happy. We really did enjoy it but there was always something someone else complained about. Our food was top notch, the band was great, we had a trio called String of Pearls http://www.stringofpearls.net/ singing Andrews sisters style during dinner, the ice fountain of watermelon vodka was amazing, the desert room was also amazing, and still some people bitched. There are so many people on both sides I'd like to tell to F off because we tried to do everything for everybody. If we did it again, we'd probably just get married in Hawaii where our honeymoon was. It always feels as if you're trying to impress everyone else. And since you're like we were by paying for it yourself, just don't ever forget that it's going to be your memory. Sound like you're already planning appropriately. Off days, smaller parties, and having your own photographer helps. Although, our albums from the photographer are really nice so I'm not sure you'll get around that cost too much.

I will just say this, don't scrimp on the honeymoon. It was the best vacation I think I'll ever be on and you can never replace it. You fly first class and you get every single newlywed upgrade you can.

Good Luck, it will be here before you know it.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Spang wrote:
Animalor wrote:I had assumed that dresses cost somewhere between 500-800$. My wife got back and had dropped 1500 on it. Argument ensued.
You should have broken up with her on the spot.

haha, that's not that much for a wedding dress.

Advice:
* Agree with Chidoro, the honeymoon should not be scrimped on. Better to scrimp on the wedding, believe me.
* People do not RSVP and when they do, you can't trust how they RSVP. Trying to nail people down to a yes or no is extremely irritating. People KNOW that you pay per person, and that it can be a shit ton of $, and yet they don't have the courtesy to just say they aren't coming. This aspect is one of the most common frustrations of any wedding and will make you feel like (or realize) certain people really don't give a shit about you.
* No matter how simple you go, there will be stresses and things going wrong. A wedding planner is essential. The last thing a bride needs while she's stressing over getting ready is 20 people hounding her with questions and last minute decisions. I cannot stress this enough. Men tend to not understand this AT ALL and as a result, start their new marriage with a very stressed bride, so for her sake, don't be one of those guys. Insist that she hire a planner. Even for my very very simple to-do, I regret not hiring one. It was a circus and everyone always comes to the bride for resolutions to problems. Meanwhile the groom gets to yuck it up and think everything is cake.
* On that same note, I would recommend that you read some bridal forums like indie.bride and get an idea of what its like to deal with planning a wedding. You seem to be on the right foot, showing interest in getting it together, but the more you involve yourself and try to understand where your fiancee is coming from, the less overwhelmed she will be. She will talk about you helping her with the preparations for the rest of your lives! It's a great bragging point for her to have a hubby who helped and showed interest! :)
* Don't drink too much on the big day, and don't let her. I wasn't paying attention on my wedding day with the waiters constantly refilling my wine glass and regret drinking so much.
* Make sure you both spend time talking about what is important to you in a wedding. The things that she and you are not "married" to (pun!), get rid of. You don't want to start out your new marriage in debt and there are always expenses that aren't really necessary. And honestly, the best weddings I've been to have been the simpler weddings. It's less about some $5000 wedding dress, a 10-tier-cake, 300 guests, and 12 bridesmaids and more about the people who are actually getting married. Be true to yourselves and resist the urge (and pressure) to spend a lot.

Congrats!!
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Chidoro wrote: It always feels as if you're trying to impress everyone else.
QFT

Be strong and resist that feeling. It's VERY hard to do as the culture around weddings is designed to make you think you have to have certain things that you really don't.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Giant, expensive weddings are overrated and unnecessary. Let them live happily where they belong, in Hollywood movies. Have a small, intimate wedding with people who are very close to you and use some of what you saved on the wedding to have the most spectacular honeymoon vacation you could ever imagine.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

VV always comes through! Great advice in the thread, I got engaged about a month ago and Im getting married in MI in June.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Ransure wrote:VV always comes through! Great advice in the thread, I got engaged about a month ago and Im getting married in MI in June.
Congrats! You chose a great state. :)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Ransure wrote:VV always comes through! Great advice in the thread, I got engaged about a month ago and Im getting married in MI in June.
Where at? I'm getting married in MI in June! :p

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Pay for The Dan Band.
Fuck Michigan!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

do.. not.. FUCKING.. do.. it.

That is all.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Sylvus wrote:
Where at? I'm getting married in MI in June! :p
Somewhere around Kalamazoo, Im flying out there tomorrow to meet up with my fiance, shes been there all week looking at locations. Where you getting married at? I promise not to steamroll if you tell me :p
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

We'll be in Northern Michigan. Boyne City, on Lake Charlevoix.

Congrats to you and yours.

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Congrats Sylvus!

That said, in my experience of two marriages something about marriage messes with the logic circuits of women, so be prepared for future conversations like the one I had with my wife the other day:

"Honey, do you have a twenty - I need some cash but don't have time to stop at the ATM."

"Yes, but it's MY money."

"What?"

"Yes, I got it from babysitting from Soandso's mother because she had to work."

"What?"

"Yes, I made that money so it's mine."

"Sooooo... I work ALL DAY EVERY DAY to make my salary, is that money MINE?"

"No, that's our JOINT money"

"Just give me the money..."

"OK, but you owe me twenty dollars"
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice!
en kærlighed småkager
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Haha Ash that's awesome :D
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Congrats to you as well Sylvus :)
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I think Ransure and Sylvus are getting married...

...to each other!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Ashur wrote:Congrats Sylvus!

That said, in my experience of two marriages something about marriage messes with the logic circuits of women, so be prepared for future conversations like the one I had with my wife the other day:

"Honey, do you have a twenty - I need some cash but don't have time to stop at the ATM."

"What?"

"What?"

What's yours is hers and whats hers is hers. :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Ashur wrote:Congrats Sylvus!

"What?"

"What?"

Well my wife actually makes a decent chunk of change more than me so I can't even bitch if she buys clothes or pays for lunch at the office too frequently. Doesn't matter how you cut it w/ women and money.