Space Hulk

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Space Hulk

Post by Fairweather Pure »

If you read the topic and know anything about this, well, hats off.

This board game was released in 1989. It had 2 expansion boxed sets that expanded the core gameplay (Genestealer and Deathwing). It eventually went OOP. There was a reboot in the mid 90's, with improved minis and artwork, but the rules were greatly simplified. That also went OOP.

Well, Games Worlshop is releaseing a 1 time only, 20 year edition of the game. If you ever had even a passing interest in this game in the past, I suggest getting this ASAP. MSRP is 99$, but the game looks absolutely amazing. They went all out on this edition. The minis are fantastic. Every one of them is unique. The quality and quanity is unheard of for a board game.

As for the game itself, it is a modular board game. Marines vs genestealers. Gmaes take about an hour to play. From what I have read, this edition sticks to the first edition rules, with various things included from both if it's expansions.

The game is 99$ while supplies last. I have 2 preordered. This is my favorite game of all time, and this release is legendary.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... 8&t=215811
This boxed game contains: a 23-page Rulebook, a 47-page Mission book and 35 finely-detailed, plastic Citadel miniatures, including: 11 Space Marine Terminators, one Space Marine Terminator Librarian, 22 Genestealers, and one Broodlord.

Also included are: 105 gaming counters, 24 corridors, 10 rooms, eight crossroads, eight T-junctions, six corner sections, four dead ends, four end pieces, 20 doors with plastic stands, one mission status display, and three plastic mission objectives, including: a dead Space Marine on throne, a Blood Angels artefact and a Cyber-Altered Task Unit. Plus a sand timer and five bone-coloured dice unique to this game.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on September 3, 2009, 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Space Hulk

Post by Ashur »

They've been raving about this over on BGG. I have reservations about ever getting it due to the price though. Even Railroad Tycoon, which is much larger and has a lot more parts is cheaper.
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sounds interesting. I think I paid a similar price for Dragon Epic.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ashur wrote:They've been raving about this over on BGG. I have reservations about ever getting it due to the price though. Even Railroad Tycoon, which is much larger and has a lot more parts is cheaper.
I'm not a salesman, but here is my take.

When Space Hulk was released in 1989, it was 70$. Each expansion was 40$. The 3rd edition includes some of the the rules from the expansions, like more weapon types and psychis powers. The quality of the parts (especially the minis) easily justifies the additional 30$ for me. Btw, my original game + expansions were worth close to 400$ on Ebay at one point. I am getting 2 copies. One to play and the other to leave unopened.

The only con to me is that I do not want to encourage the "last edition ever!" sales tactic.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on September 3, 2009, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Also keep in mind!

5 terminators = 50$

Librarian in Terminator armor = 17$

8 Genestealers = 30$

Broodlord = 20$

The game comes with 22 genestealers, 11 Space Marine Terminators, 1 Terminator Librarian, and a Broodlord. It's a great deal for a GW product.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

BGG is one of my favorite websites, and I've seen some friends plugging this game. Hopefully, one of the guys in my group will buy it and we can all reap the benefits of his sacrifice. I just bought War of the Ring for 60 bucks, so I can't drop anymore money on board games this month.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Oops! Nt
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

lol, just got back from GenCon, so yeah, my games budget is blown as well.
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just got my 2 copies in the mail. This is the best looking board game package I have ever seen. Any reservations I had about ordering 2 copies vanished when I took the lid off of my first box.

10/10

This is the absolute gold standard now for any boxed game that is released in the future. The amount of polish is off the chart. If they release similar versions of Blood Bowl, Necromunda, or God help us, HeroQuest, I will be getting 2 of each as well.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Blood Bowl I would get for sure!
Fortune favors the brave!
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

HeroQuest...gurglegurglegurgle...
I would die if that game came back out.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Played this boardgame back in '89, was fun!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I still have 1 unopened box that I want to resell. I've been monitoring the resales of this on Ebay and they're starting to hit the 300$ mark. I kind of want to sit on it for another year. In theory, the price should just keep going up. The thing is, the game has unique Blood Angel models that are really rare (and becoming more rare every day). The new codex was released last spring and the army is still pretty hot, so that very well may be what is driving the price up. Next year, the army may not be as popular, so the price may actually drop.

What to do, what to do...
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

I still have Space Hulk, HeroQuest and BloodBowl from the 80's in quite decent condition.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--