How much should I save for a two week trip to Europe?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

How much should I save for a two week trip to Europe?

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

So, thanks to our fine government and my free $8033.38 (fuck yeah, interest) I now have a brand spanking new house with a mortgage signifigantly less than what my rent payment was and zero debt. My friends are putting plans in motion for a trip to europe in about 10-11 months and even though I am terrified of flying, I want to go.

Anyone take any trips recently? How much should I save? Do you bring cash or can I just use a VISA card? What is the best brand of rape whistle should I be accosted? How do I get sweet sweet drugs so I don't have to be concious for when the airplane undoubtedly catches on fire and plumets me to my death from 34,000 feet?

TIA,
stragi
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: How much should I save for a two week trip to Europe?

Post by Funkmasterr »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:So, thanks to our fine government and my free $8033.38 (fuck yeah, interest) I now have a brand spanking new house with a mortgage signifigantly less than what my rent payment was and zero debt. My friends are putting plans in motion for a trip to europe in about 10-11 months and even though I am terrified of flying, I want to go.

Anyone take any trips recently? How much should I save? Do you bring cash or can I just use a VISA card? What is the best brand of rape whistle should I be accosted? How do I get sweet sweet drugs so I don't have to be concious for when the airplane undoubtedly catches on fire and plumets me to my death from 34,000 feet?

TIA,
stragi
:lol: :lol:

A friend of mine just left for a trip to Europe a few days ago, and we chatted about money etc and it sounds like what I'm planning for Japan is about the same for Europe.

First, you are better off to exchange currency in the U.S. because of the strength of the Euro (it's the reverse for going to Japan). I think a pretty fair estimate for money you will need to spend will be about $100-150 (150 being on the high end) per day. This is not including costs for a hotel, just food and entertainment.

As far as the drugs go, just go to your doctor and tell them that you are deathly afraid of flying and you get very sick when you do, and they will probably prescribe you something no questions asked :)

I am going to go to Amsterdam for about a week for new years, so I can let you know what I spent when that time comes around, too.

Hope that helps teh stragi.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

1) where're you going
2) whatchawannado when you get there
3) how much traveling will you be doing once there
4) what kind of accomodations are you gunning for
5) rentacar: yes/no/female/refuse to answer on religious grounds.
6) tired, so fuck this.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

(put the money towards the principal of the mortgage)
- Ash
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:one) where're you going
two) whatchawannado when you get there
three) how much traveling will you be doing once there
four) what kind of accomodations are you gunning for
five) rentacar: yes/no/female/refuse to answer on religious grounds.
six) tired, so fuck this.
quoting myself because i can.

seven) are you planning on
seven a) souvenirshopping
seven b) buying shoes like one of those mad people on american tv shows
seven c) partying like crazy
seven 8 nine) more stuff i can't think of right now.

because all these things are factors about which information is needed before my superlative brain can calculate the cost.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Will you be in Scandinavia? I think they switched their official currency to Drolgo's.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

Plan on using cash. Tons of places over there still don't take cards. As far as how much it will cost, that really depends on where you're going and what you'll be doing.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't go to Europe and save your money, buy the movie European Vacation, and then spend your money on an Eastern Block mail order bride.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah I'm not sure the plan of the government was for you to spend that money over in Europe omg!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Aslanna wrote:Yeah I'm not sure the plan of the government was for you to spend that money over in Europe omg!
I already spent it to get out of Debt and put appliances in my house but now I have several hundred dollars a month of discretionary income that I am going to start saving up.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:1) where're you going
2) whatchawannado when you get there
3) how much traveling will you be doing once there
4) what kind of accomodations are you gunning for
5) rentacar: yes/no/female/refuse to answer on religious grounds.
6) tired, so fuck this.
1) i know they wanted to goto france for sure, probably the uk. i definately want to hit up DENMARK!
2) no idea but see number 1. i just like being places.
4) ladiefriends will be going so probably hotels of reasonable quality
5) hopefully not i want to ride a train for the first time!!!
Last edited by *~*stragi*~* on July 17, 2009, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:
Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:one) where're you going
two) whatchawannado when you get there
three) how much traveling will you be doing once there
four) what kind of accomodations are you gunning for
five) rentacar: yes/no/female/refuse to answer on religious grounds.
six) tired, so fuck this.
quoting myself because i can.

seven) are you planning on
seven a) souvenirshopping
seven b) buying shoes like one of those mad people on american tv shows
seven c) partying like crazy
seven 8 nine) more stuff i can't think of right now.

because all these things are factors about which information is needed before my superlative brain can calculate the cost.
7a) probably not
7b) newp
7c) newp
789) deez nuts
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Sylvus wrote:Will you be in Scandinavia? I think they switched their official currency to Drolgo's.
i would love too. I have family in norway still, but i dont think we'll go that far north, i'm sure it'll be like UK/france/germany
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I dropped 2k on a weekend trip to Chicago with my wife and 2 girls (6 mo and 2 years). If I was solo to Europe for 2 weeks, I would save around 5k to be safe.

Can you just use a credit card for everything?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

How many hookers do you plan to bang in Amsterdam?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I just got back from 2 weeks in Spain and was pretty shocked to see how uncompetitive the place has become. A whopper burger and a regular coke for 9 euro's? fuck off!

I went to Paris last year, I spent about 650 dollars for 5 days, but that was without sacrificing any quality overly in favour of cutting costs.

It depends on what your standards are I suppose, but I would agree with funk that 100/150 dollars a day would be a comfortable and enjoyable holiday.

As for drugs, as with anywhere, they're everywhere.

UK will be cold cold cold if you go in Winter, so bring warm clothes :P
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nick wrote: UK will be cold cold cold if you go in Winter, so bring warm clothes :P
Why the hell would you go to Europe in the winter unless it's for a little glacier skiing? It does cut down on the smell of cow manure which is everywhere in Europe.

-Skip the UK, unless you have some relatives there and want to laugh at their bad teeth
-Check out Munich and have some beers
-Check out Rome/Pompeii (ancient Roman ruins are memorable)
Me underneath the Colosseum in Rome!

-Skip Spain, unless you want to see a bloody bull fight
-Go to France to confirm what assholes they are
-Travel to far Eastern Europe for some debauchery
-Fly back home, with a fresh new perspective on how great it is to live in the United States!

Europe can be fun. I think it would be best to go with someone who's been there before though. You'll probably miss a lot of the fun stuff by sticking to the "tourist" routes. Tour bus vacations are the worst. Finding the little bed and breakfast places, gasthaus (I swear I inhaled a lifetime of smoke in those places as a kid), and checking out stuff at a leisurely pace is he way to see Europe. Eight years there was too much but I got a good idea of what it's all about. Seriously though, if I was going to skip any place on a Euro tour, it would be the UK....make that England. Scotland might be fun to check out but that's if you have time on your hands.

You might want to check out Sweden as well!

http://www.rivalfish.com/rivalroom/uplo ... 787783.jpg
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

:roll:
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

Is that a Members Only jacket??
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bojangels wrote:Is that a Members Only jacket??
Nope! But you probably have the right decade!
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

still calculating

but: bring your visa, carry backup cash. Almost all stores in .dk, .se and .no will take Visa, and you'll find plenty of ATM-type machines that'll help you out should you go somewhere where they don't. Be aware that trainfare is fucking stupid expensive, especially internationally. If you're flying to Paris and want to experience other parts of France, a train might not be too bad, but the cheapest (and most annoying) way would be coach. Paris-Amsterdam by Eurolines takes what, 5-6 hours? and costs probably 1/4 of the equivalent train ticket.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I would never skip England, but one of my best friends now owns a pub in a small town not far from Oxford. Also, the only girl I met there that didn't have a great rack was 12.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

yeh they are touristy but you cant see them in the US. Castles and cathedrals, visit a couple.

Everything else you'll prolly be like, "wow this looks like tha walmart in wichita."

... and winnow aint lieing... go east for hot women throwing themselves at you. Few friends of mine make regular trips to east bloc countries (no not just for the sex) and they say as soon as anyone finds out your an american they just wanna follow you around and be yer free tour guide n stuff. for some reason they love americans. suckers.
Sick Balls!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Fuck the naysayers, go and have a blast! You're young and life experience is more important than paying off your mortgage 3 months early 30 years from now.

You're doing it right by going with friends. Eric and I have been trying to coordinate an Amsterdam trip with friends, but trying to coordinate dates and such is a nightmare, especially when so many of our friends have rugrats. I'm envious!!

BE CAREFUL WITH USING YOUR CREDIT CARDS! Most of them charge extra for being used out of the country!! Call them first and find out what kind of penalty you're looking at. I used my ATM card to get cash most of the time. Just checck with your bank and make sure you understand what kind of fees they charge for the exchange rate conversion.

Buy one of those neck wallets, so you can carry your cash, passport etc, under your shirt. Pickpockets aren't as bad as some might make you think, but keeping a wallet in your back pocket in an area known for foreign tourism could be risky.

Have fun & keep us posted on where you decide to go! Honestly though, London/Paris/Amsterdam is the standard route for a first time visit for a reason.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Cracc
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cracc »

That 12+ hour plus flight over the atlantic is going to be mint of you have a fear of flying.

Alcohol and xanor helps tho, bring lots of it.
Cracc
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cracc »

Noysyrump wrote:yeh they are touristy but you cant see them in the US. Castles and cathedrals, visit a couple.

Everything else you'll prolly be like, "wow this looks like tha walmart in wichita."

... and winnow aint lieing... go east for hot women throwing themselves at you. Few friends of mine make regular trips to east bloc countries (no not just for the sex) and they say as soon as anyone finds out your an american they just wanna follow you around and be yer free tour guide n stuff. for some reason they love americans. suckers.
It must be the dashingly good looks all americans have.. err wait..

some reason = money.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Lalanae wrote:Fuck the naysayers, go and have a blast! You're young and life experience is more important than paying off your mortgage 3 months early 30 years from now.

You're doing it right by going with friends. Eric and I have been trying to coordinate an Amsterdam trip with friends, but trying to coordinate dates and such is a nightmare, especially when so many of our friends have rugrats. I'm envious!!

BE CAREFUL WITH USING YOUR CREDIT CARDS! Most of them charge extra for being used out of the country!! Call them first and find out what kind of penalty you're looking at. I used my ATM card to get cash most of the time. Just checck with your bank and make sure you understand what kind of fees they charge for the exchange rate conversion.

Buy one of those neck wallets, so you can carry your cash, passport etc, under your shirt. Pickpockets aren't as bad as some might make you think, but keeping a wallet in your back pocket in an area known for foreign tourism could be risky.

Have fun & keep us posted on where you decide to go! Honestly though, London/Paris/Amsterdam is the standard route for a first time visit for a reason.
We were just in Costa Rica and my wife's bank, Chase, charged an additional 4 dollar International convenience charge in addition to normal transaction costs with using the ATM.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Tyek wrote:
Lalanae wrote:Fuck the naysayers, go and have a blast! You're young and life experience is more important than paying off your mortgage 3 months early 30 years from now.

We were just in Costa Rica and my wife's bank, Chase, charged an additional 4 dollar International convenience charge in addition to normal transaction costs with using the ATM.
Yeah Wells Fargo charges like 3x the normal non Wells Fargo ATM fee. I'm just going to pull out all the money I'm spending there at once to lighten the blow of finance/conversion charges.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

We went to Europe in 2006 and I took my Parents, wife and kids. I am still paying the bill off.

I will say that my favorite experience cost very little, ancient Rome. To be standing in the middle of a building built in 800 BC was chilling. We decided to spend lots of money because we were not sure when we would go back. We stayed at a nice 300+ year old boutique hotel on the Vatican City Wall for days. We stayed at the Swiss Embassy Mansion Hotel in Florence and some other nice accomodations, so the costs were definitely higher. You could probably do it for about the 150-200 dollars a day that others are saying, but what sucks is taking 1000 dollars to the bank and watching it turn into 635 euros.

The biggest thing is plan out what you really want to see, figure the costs, then realize you will want way more then that to enjoy yourself. The only place I did not really appreciate was St Moritz, Switzerland. It was beautiful, but it is also where all the Russian oil magnates go, so lunch for 6 was 180 euros. My dad wanted a sweater and the lowest one we could find was 1000 dollars (US) needless to say he did not get the sweater.

Congrats again on the house and just enjoy your trip. Take what you can afford, then if you need a little extra, just don't go out too much for a few months when you get back.

Edit- Actually the best memory I have, and will always remember was of my son. He and my daughter were staying with my parents while we went out to see downtown Innsbruck. They have these porn channels on regular tv and my parents were flipping the channels. He saw just a quick glimpse of something. I get back to the room and my mom is laughing hysterically as she tells me this, my son looked at her right after they changed the channel and asked her..."Grandma why was that girl eating that weird hotdog like that?"
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

savings counter: 1200 bux
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Hopefully the night flight should make your fear of flying easier. It should be a night flight and chances are you'll sleep through most of it. If not, drop a klonopin. That shit works wonders.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Cracc wrote:That 12+ hour plus flight over the atlantic is going to be mint of you have a fear of flying.

Alcohol and xanor helps tho, bring lots of it.

It's only 8! 9 max!

And yeah, Florence is a beautiful place. Really fucking special. I'd recommend that. A wiki search will explain why, but, much like Paris, seeing it in person really is something else altogether!
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

I would definitely say that Rome is a must see, if you have any interest at all in the ancient buildings at all. I was there a couple of hears ago, and it is simply astonishing, one of my favorite cities ever.

Visa works pretty much all over Europe, but you have to watch for the charges, also, be aware that not all countries use the Euro, in the UK they still use the good old £ and in scandinavia they use the different kroners. Down south you should be fine wiht euros though.

The 100-150$ price level would probably make for a good enjoyable trip, where you won't have to worry too much about money, so that is a good place to be, If you make it to Denmark, do let us know, I am sure Drolgin and I could show you the city =)
Fortune favors the brave!