I am still alive

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I am still alive

Post by Kylere »

Making sure I live just to spite Kyoukan! Looking out the window of my office I see the Great American Ball Park and realize I live in Cincy again, then I found an OLD bookmark, low and behold VV is still here. But wow, this place is dead!

Kylere Ap'Kailere
Occasionally Seen in Warhammer killing people
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: I am still alive

Post by Spang »

Kylere wrote:But wow, this place is dead!
That's because so many people stop posting. Imagine that!
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

All the people that matter still post here.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

You went from Cinci to Flint then back to Cinci?
You're quite the masochist.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:You went from Cinci to Flint then back to Cinci?
You're quite the masochist.
:lol:

Sup Kylere!?
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

OVH forever bitch.

heya Kylere.
Sick Balls!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Kylere wrote: But wow, this place is dead!
Fuckin' Anglos.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Hey Kylere!
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Yo
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Hey you lunatic, good to see you're still kicking. :)
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

why in the name of all that is holy did you move back to Cincinnati?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I heard they have great sock parties there.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm now in the Cincinnati area but fortunately not in the city itself. Outside of 275 on the North side. Where are the safe areas to live?! I'd be working in Fairfield but am presently staying in West Chester and it seems OK. I haven't really looked at housing costs at this time though.

Ohio wasn't my first choice but needed a job as my previous one was ending in a few months. It's at least better than Indiana more than likely. Surely it can't be as bad!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nov 22 Cardinals vs Bengals

You're new city's undefeated team won't be for long!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't even live in Cincinnati!

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm here a few days a week doing the electric install on Cinci's new streetcar...so just in time for that finishing up, you can ride it next year!

We rent a house in Blue Ash, that seems to be where the upper crust lives. Its pretty nice. But one of the guys lives up there in west chester area as well, and that seems to be a clean area too. That's about it, most everything north looks like where you are...Mason is nice too I'm told.

Nothing inside 275 is really that nice, just Blue Ash. Everything else is old as dirt, and/or ghetto.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I want to be upper crust! Due to the holidays and stuff I'm not really looking too much for permanent housing. That will probably start sometime in January. I'll probably look in the WC area at first and see what I can find. Mason might be a bit further than I want to drive every day.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Well, make sure you goto Blue Ash Chili sometime. Its the best chili mac I've had in this city. They put fried jalapeno caps on it...its da' best.

Also, upper crust here isn't upper crust that you would think. They are just big homes where I live, but right down the street is pretty normal suburbia.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't even know what chili mac is. It sounds frightening though!

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Its not frightening, unless you goto like Skyline Chili or Goldstar Chili (the McDonald's of chili places).

Its just spaghetti with chili on top...then beans if you want...then onions if you want...then cheese if you want...then whatever else they offer. That's why you will see things like, "Chili Mac 3-way", or 4 way, or 5 way, etc. The "ways" are the toppings. Its always beans as 4 way, onions as 5-way, basically. The first 3 are spaghetti, chili, cheddar cheese.

Its actually very delicious.

Also, there's some very good Korean restaurants in Cincinnati, which I found odd, but they are there. And of course, there is Eli's BBQ...the best.

So there's my eatery tour of Cincinnati, its more of a foodie city than most know, I would assume.

They also have some good micro breweries if you're into beer.

But other than food and beer, not sure why anyone would come to cincinnati (outside of working there).
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kluden wrote:But other than food and beer, not sure why anyone would come to cincinnati (outside of working there).
Could say that about a lot of areas, really.

And I'm not even in Cincinnati. I'm north of it! So it doesn't even count.

With all the murders Indianapolis has been having lately I'm glad to be getting the fuck out of here. The place is turning into a bigger shithole that it was. Indiana sucks in general. You can't even buy alcohol on Sundays (other than in a restaurant or bar). Not sure why anyone would move here, either. I only came because of a job. Now that it is over I have zero reason, or desire, to stay. Fuck Indiana!

--
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Outside the 275 loop is a good place to be. If you are working in Fairfield, I might suggest looking for places in Fairfield Township as Mason and West Chester can be absolute traffic hell. A lot of it might come down to if you prefer a quieter area or if you like being right in the middle of everything.

There are some parts of Hamilton that would suit your needs, as well as Ross. I would avoid looking in Colerain, most parts of Fairfield, Springdale, anything with an actual Cincinnati mailing address. If you don't mind a longer drive, Loveland, Milford, Indian Hill, and several other places to the east are where you start seeing some high end non-ghetto communities.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Outside the 275 loop is a good place to be. If you are working in Fairfield, I might suggest looking for places in Fairfield Township as Mason and West Chester can be absolute traffic hell. A lot of it might come down to if you prefer a quieter area or if you like being right in the middle of everything.

There are some parts of Hamilton that would suit your needs, as well as Ross. I would avoid looking in Colerain, most parts of Fairfield, Springdale, anything with an actual Cincinnati mailing address. If you don't mind a longer drive, Loveland, Milford, Indian Hill, and several other places to the east are where you start seeing some high end non-ghetto communities.
I've been working late (have to make a good impression!) so haven't really noticed too many traffic issues as I leave around 6:00 PM. I definitely prefer the quiet as opposed to being in the middle of everything. I leave from the Winton/Mack Road area, head east to Seward Road, then North to Tylersville, It is only like 6 miles but it still takes like 25 minutes to get to where I am staying.

I'd like a nicer area as opposed to a quicker drive.

--
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Working in that area, 25-30 minutes is going to be about average no matter where you come from (unless you moved close and I would definitely not advise that). If you are looking at houses, I would probably have to say Fairfield Township is the best bet. You have fairly good access there to hit the highways, and you can use Bypass 4 to get to work. It is a pretty solid higher end middle class area and my feeling is that it is still on the incline. It is what West Chester was 20 years ago. I think West Chester is on the decline now as a lot of those suburbian homes are not what they used to be and too much is being built up around the area.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Hi. I'm 33 years old now. I'm also playing Everquest in my spare time again. I am a bard.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Also if Shanks still reads this forum, do you want your 54k back?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Stragi! I've been wanting to get back to EQ but with the new job and moving and shit I haven't really had time for that. Hopefully once that gets settled next year I can get back to it. I doubt I will be raiding though. I really don't want to devote that much time to a game ever again.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I wish I was 33!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Still in Ohio! They made an offer a week or so ago but I didn't like it so countered. Supposedly I'll have their response Monday or Tuesday. Having said that I still haven't found a place to live. A bunch of houses are owned/managed by a company called American Homes 4 Rent which from what I've read is a terrible company to deal with. My guess is they buy all the foreclosures they can and then rent them out. Regardless I am avoiding anything from them which is about half of the places around here. That doesn't leave much selection and I'm running out of time!

My plan is to rent something for a year to see how things go then maybe look into buying if I think I'll be here awhile. I'm looking at a condo in Symmes Township tomorrow. It doesn't look too bad of a commute (13 miles) unless 275 is bad going west in the mornings and east in the evenings. Also looking at one that is in Mason (sort of) close to 75.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

FInally found a house! It's in West Chester but pretty far west so that's good and about a 7 mile commute to work (yet it still takes 20-25 minutes!). Basically near Tylersville and Seward Road. 4 bedrooms so that's a couple more bedrooms than I need but the rent wasn't too bad. I'm sure I'll pay for it in utilities though since the square feet is about double what I previously had.

I'm also moving from AT&T Uverse to Time Warner (booooo.. But at least it's not Comcast) so my speeds are going from 18/1.5 to 30/5. Mostly that was due to Uverse not having good speeds in this area. I think 6 Mbps was the fastest. People with TWC, what is a good modem/wireless combo device to buy? I'm doing the rental now but I'd rather buy something and not give them $10 extra dollars a month.

Now to get my furniture and stuff moved and I'll be all set.

Where'd Stragi go!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:4 bedrooms so that's a couple more bedrooms than I need but the rent wasn't too bad.
One of those bedrooms will end up being a dedicated VR room within a year or two. Mark my words!

Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

On the modem rental, TWC does not provide more than 2 channels up or down. So it doesn't matter what cable modem you buy, as it will NOT stress their system at all, or the modem, as they only offer the bare minimum required connection channels to accomplish cable modem'ing.

I hated TWC. But their internet connection is stable, I will give them that. Not "fast" really, in this day and age, but surely fast enough to have 2 people streaming shit, and a PC playing an MMO, everything running fine. But if you throw a single torrent into that mix, it will affect the quality of the streaming. At least, that was our experience here in Cinci Blue Ash with TWC.

I had an extra zoom brand docsis 3.0 modem that I used, and it calls out how many upload and download channels it can bond, hence how I found out about their channel bonding practices. Comcast, on the other hand, allows the full 8 bonded download channels in northern VA...and that was fast internet.

Modem: http://www.zoomtel.com/products/5341J.html

Yes, they sell it at Microcenter in Sharnville for like $65 http://www.microcenter.com/product/4525 ... able_Modem
Looks like they updated the model slightly...but still the right price. I use another 5341J at home in Pittsburgh with Comcast, same issue there as TWC in cinci, limited channel bonding...but I can confirm that zoom modems work just fine with TWC and Comcast.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kluden wrote:On the modem rental, TWC does not provide more than 2 channels up or down. So it doesn't matter what cable modem you buy, as it will NOT stress their system at all, or the modem, as they only offer the bare minimum required connection channels to accomplish cable modem'ing.

I hated TWC. But their internet connection is stable, I will give them that. Not "fast" really, in this day and age, but surely fast enough to have 2 people streaming shit, and a PC playing an MMO, everything running fine. But if you throw a single torrent into that mix, it will affect the quality of the streaming. At least, that was our experience here in Cinci Blue Ash with TWC.
I don't download that much these days so 30/5 is good enough for me. It's still twice as fast as I had in Indianapolis. I was mainly looking for a better up speed as I share my Plex library with a few people and 1.5 wasn't really cutting it since I think at least 2Mbps was required for 720p.

The only other option I think was Cincinnati Bell with their fioptics thing. Although from what I read about it on sites like DSLReports people said to stay away. One example:
Best of luck with your new installs of Fioptics! I hate to say it, but I bet the problems will start soon. I had them for 4 months and went back to Time Warner and couldn't be happier. I had so many problems with Cincinnati Bell regarding slow internet, wifi drop outs, freezing HD channels, outages, dvr boxes that didn't work right, the sound not matching the screen, etc. I could go on! I hope that doesn't end up happening to you guys because from what I read those are very common issues.
Now I know it some areas may be better than others and all that and mostly the people with issue are the ones complaining but still.. I decided to go TWC instead for now. Once the rate goes up after a year then maybe I'll looking into trying someone else if I'm not happy.
Kluden wrote:I had an extra zoom brand docsis 3.0 modem that I used, and it calls out how many upload and download channels it can bond, hence how I found out about their channel bonding practices. Comcast, on the other hand, allows the full 8 bonded download channels in northern VA...and that was fast internet.

Looks like they updated the model slightly...but still the right price. I use another 5341J at home in Pittsburgh with Comcast, same issue there as TWC in cinci, limited channel bonding...but I can confirm that zoom modems work just fine with TWC and Comcast.
Thanks, will look into Zoom. I am looking for the Gateway variety (Need WiFi!) so something like their model 5363 would be preferable although the few reviews I saw don't sound that good. Maybe I'll just look into buying the 5345 (better reviews!) and a decent router instead. I'd prefer to have everything all in one unit though just because it typically makes management easier.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It might not be a bad idea to get a VPN. Cable companies throttle bandwidth based on what you're doing. With Cox, for example I get a max 15Mbps download on certain things. If I switch on my VPN I get 150-200 Mbps from the same source. Obvious and consistent throttling.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I never buy those combo units...I like to keep my stuff separate, and I enjoy using tomato/dd-wrt firmware on my routers. Plus its like you found, most the standalone type stuff just reviews better.

either way, best of luck, and with a Microcenter near by, you will get it right a way at a good price. They price match amazon and newegg too, if they don't have the right price on something.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That is really close to where I lived when first married. Close to a lot of stuff there while not being on the main path. FWIW, I use Cinci Bell on the West Side and now that they have most of the bugs worked out, they beat the shit out of TW.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Fairweather Pure wrote:All the people that matter still post here.
Do I matter?
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

No!! :-D