Central Vacuum?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Central Vacuum?

Post by Sylvus »

Anyone know anything about central vacuum and could recommend any units?

The house I bought came plumbed for it, but it looks like the hillbillies who lived here before and got foreclosed on took the motor unit thing with them. I'd like to get that hooked up as I hear it improves air quality, is quieter, etc., but know very little about them. Would it be difficult to hook up the unit to the plumbing myself? All of the pvc is run, outlets are throughout the house, there's a spot where it goes in the basement.

As an aside, if you bought your first house after April 9, 2008 and before July 1, 2009 , be sure to check out the first time home buyer's credit. It's buying me a central vacuum (and more)!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
pyrella
>()))>

Re: Central Vacuum?

Post by pyrella »

spend that money on a dyson
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I am psyched about the first time home buyers credit :) I closed on my house October 22nd and haven't got a washer/dryer yet. I should have it within a week and get those and have some actual savings too.

I have Bissel V bare-floor vacuum for my hardwood, a Shark handheld for the stairs, and still need to grab a cheap upright for the 2nd floor.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Demags
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Demags »

I used to install central vac systems. We used two different brands, but I cant recall the names offhand. Central vac systems work very well if they were properly installed, if someone incompetent did the installation you will have problems with clogging due to improperly glued and fitted piping. Its loads of fun trying to find the clog in an attic during the summer.

If you decide to go buy a new unit I suggest you take a close up photo of the outlet to make sure your getting the right accessory kit. (I'm assuming they took that as well as the tank) There are generally two types of power heads, self powered (there will be a little plug built into the vac outlet), and plug in (these plug into a regular wall socket, if designed right there should be a socket within a couple feet of each vac outlet). These might vary a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer, so look on the wall plate for a name if you can.

Electronic wholesalers tend to sell them so thats one place you can start your search, it's driving me crazy but I can't remember the name of our supplier. If I remember I'll post it.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Thanks, Demags. And you're in Milford, that's not that far! Who did you work for, maybe I can call your old company.

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:Anyone know anything about central vacuum and could recommend any units?

The house I bought came plumbed for it, but it looks like the hillbillies who lived here before and got foreclosed on took the motor unit thing with them. I'd like to get that hooked up as I hear it improves air quality, is quieter, etc., but know very little about them. Would it be difficult to hook up the unit to the plumbing myself? All of the pvc is run, outlets are throughout the house, there's a spot where it goes in the basement.

As an aside, if you bought your first house after April 9, 2008 and before July 1, 2009 , be sure to check out the first time home buyer's credit. It's buying me a central vacuum (and more)!
Yeah my girlfriend and I are doing our best to get into a house before July so we can get that money :D
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Just hook up your shop-vac to it!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I want a credit!

Of course I bought my first home (hah, my only home!) in 1999 so I would have a place of my own to watch the millennial fires burn from... I mean raise a family.
- Ash
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Eh, it's more of an interest-free home equity line of credit. You have to pay it back over the course of the next 15 years, or when you sell your house, whichever comes first.

Go Blue!
Demags
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Demags »

Well, if the old bastard hadn't gone out of business and laid me off I'd hook you up with him, but when I recall the name of the place we purchased them from I'll post it.
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

I have a central vac system in my house... and I bought a Dyson :)

The central vac doesn't have enough suction to really do the job to my liking, though I suppose it's OK for a quick job. But for me, having 3 animals in the house, it just doesn't work as well as the Dyson. And the hose is this giant long thing that I have to lug around anyways, so the only effort saved is dumping the dust (later - cause you still have to dump the central vac dust bin, just not as often!).

If I had extra cash, I'd certainly spend it on something else. Central vac = waste of $$!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

We had a central unit in a house a while back, but it rarely got used. A normal vac was used most of the time. Hauling the hose around was more of a hassle.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Sirensa wrote:I have a central vac system in my house... and I bought a Dyson :)

The central vac doesn't have enough suction to really do the job to my liking, though I suppose it's OK for a quick job. But for me, having 3 animals in the house, it just doesn't work as well as the Dyson. And the hose is this giant long thing that I have to lug around anyways, so the only effort saved is dumping the dust (later - cause you still have to dump the central vac dust bin, just not as often!).

If I had extra cash, I'd certainly spend it on something else. Central vac = waste of $$!
:vv_yeahthat:
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

What if Dyson made a central vac. Would that blow your mind?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It would suck!