Happy Poll

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Are you happier today than you were one year ago

Poll ended at January 21, 2010, 8:13 pm

Yes: I'm happier
48%
No: I'm less happy
33%
No change
20%

Total votes: 61

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Happy Poll

Post by Winnow »

A simple poll asking a simple question.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Happy Poll

Post by miir »

My son was born last thursday.. so I'm lots happier. :)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

For the most part. Fixing my credit was a huge accomplishment for me. Despite hating the company I work for, I get by OK at work with little stress. So yeah, happier pretty much.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Dont answer.. It's a trick! If everyone says they are happier then obviously George Bush is the one you should be thanking for that.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This poll is not politically motivated.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I'm happier. I was pretty happy a year ago, too, things were looking up for me at that point. That's continued. Can't complain about that.
Last edited by Sueven on January 22, 2009, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

School is going real well for me, George W. Bush is no longer president and Barack Obama is! So yes, I'm happier.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Significantly less happy.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Sirensa wrote:Significantly less happy.
Me too! High five!
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Dregor Thule wrote:
Sirensa wrote:Significantly less happy.
Me too! High five!
Woot! High five!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I put no change, so big things are happening, the wife is getting promoted and we will have eliminated 3 of the bills we built up from her going to college in less then a year. Which was great.

Unfortunately, my health sucks, this pneumonia is kicking my ass and I just had another knee surgery. Hopefully next month I will be able to say happier, once my knee and health is better.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

A lot has changed in my life over the past year and I am an order of magnitude happier because of it. I became a homeowner 3 months ago, I met my girlfriend 6 months ago; we've been inseparable for the past 4 months, and I've held the same job for 3 years this month now making more than ever. I really have zero complaints in life, and I wish the same for everyone else (except maybe Nick, because he needs a serious dose of reality before he'll ever be human.)
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

No change.

Same job
No family changes
My cars are paid off, but that just means I throw more money at student loans.
I still have the same friends/lifestyle/social life
Money is about the same.
Politics is a wash
The economy is in the crapper, but that doesn't significantly impact my happiness

As long as I have my little girl and a job that pays the bills, I guess I'm happy. More $$$ and less bills would certainly help, but I don't see that changing. I've been living on a shoestring budget since my first marriage in 91. Maybe once my daughter starts first grade my wife can get a job and that will take some of the pressure off financially.
- Ash
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Little happier, mainly because I see my life improving in the future on several levels. I have a little more debt and the economy scares the bejeezus out of me (job security), but we have a relatively sound plan to get us out of debt this year. Starting my 2nd semester of grad school, job is good and at worst will improve my resume with all the new experience I'm getting, got married in the Fall, and taking my step-son to Disney World next weekend for his birthday (our last big expense for a long while). We are also talking about adding a member to our family next year if things don't fall apart financially this year. Lots of plans and goals!
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Little happier.. I have a better(paying) job than i did last year which gave me a little more breathing room. But I need to get the hell out of here and find a real job that I can see myself at for sometime and that pays more. Just brought home my new puppy on monday and she's adorable so that makes me happier. Only thing that would improve my happiness right now is a new job with better pay.. but we all know how well that's gonna turn out..
Timmah.

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Less happy. The day Obama got sworn in I got sick, I am still sick now and expect it will be at least four years before I feel any better :D

Really though, not sure. I just started my new job at the beginning of this month and am making a fair amount more, just put money down on a ring for my girlfriend, and we are looking at houses. Things are looking up but I'm not counting my chips yet.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Less happy because last year at this time I was staying amazing cabin(w outdoor hot tub) in the mountains, skiing every day with my ex.

More happy because of Obama being in office and making changes I like.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Significantly less happy because I'm now officially closer to 40 than to 30. Decrepitude comes.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I put no change because some things have improved and some things have gotten worse.

This time last year I had a great job that was paying well which allowed me to live a life of luxury for the entire year. I had just quit smoking and started really exercising, and have kept that up. But as the year progressed I became happier and happier. In fact, 2008 was the best year of my life. I was single the whole time and had lots of money to throw around, lots of free time, and spent a significant amount of time helping Obama get elected and that was a success!

Now I've lost that great job and haven't found anything yet. But the residual happiness remains, and losing the job in some ways was a blessing in disguise. It was a dead end job that paid incredibly well. But having worked towards something I believe in has given me a little more focus. At this time last year I had made several incredibly positive life changing decisions and I have continued that trend. I've recently decided to pursue a law degree and use it as a catalyst to achieve real progressive change in this country. If my financial situation wasn't in the sewer right now I would've said I'm much happier now.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:Significantly less happy because I'm now officially closer to 40 than to 30. Decrepitude comes.
That's a temporary feeling and I hit that wall a few years ago. At some point, wisdom kicks in and you become content again with your life. : ) At the same time, there's no reason to ever grow up in some respects.

I look back at some of the things younger (relative to me) people are concerned or worried about and realize what a waste of valuable time (during 20's and 30's) it is to be so.

I'm definitely happier now than a year ago (not that I wasn't already happy)

Some keys as to why I am, or continue to be generally happy:

no dept/financially secure
self reliant
healthy (along with the rest of my immediate family)
good relationship(s), very little drama
slightly more organized (still got a ways to go on that)
slightly more responsible (remembering key dates, bdays, etc)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I'm a lot happier, though a lot has changed in the last year...

Jan 26, 2008:
Girlfriend of ~5 months that wasn't right for me (broke up with her about a week after that)
Paying rent
Smoking cigarettes
Going out partying all the time (while fun, it was unhealthy, getting tiresome, etc...)

Jan 26, 2009:
Girlfriend of ~8 months that I'm pretty sure is the one that I'm going to marry
Bought a house
Got a dog
Haven't had a cigarette in ~6 months

I attribute most of my getting out of the rut and making positive changes in my life to the hope I felt knowing that the Bush Administration would be leaving office... ;)
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I'm astounded how much emphasis some of you have on national politics in your personal happiness.
- Ash
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Ashur wrote:I'm astounded how much emphasis some of you have on national politics in your personal happiness.
:vv_yeahthat: Both Sylvus and Xyun have made similar remarks which just astound me... If the 'administration' has that much effect on your day to day happiness, you've got some sort of problem with your priorities. You may as well just believe that God is looking out for you, footprints in the sand and all that jazz. Someone somewhere is very glad to have gotten you worked up about something that has no real impact on you...
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Fash wrote:
Ashur wrote:I'm astounded how much emphasis some of you have on national politics in your personal happiness.
:vv_yeahthat: Both Sylvus and Xyun have made similar remarks which just astound me... If the 'administration' has that much effect on your day to day happiness, you've got some sort of problem with your priorities. You may as well just believe that God is looking out for you, footprints in the sand and all that jazz. Someone somewhere is very glad to have gotten you worked up about something that has no real impact on you...
You are right, there's no real impact on me. I mean it's not like my whole life and future well being have changed just because of politics. It's not like my parents are dead or I am able to permanently remain in the country I love because of political decisions or anything like that. My priorities are definitely misplaced. I should put a lot less stock into "superstitious" things that obviously have no direct influence on my life or the future of my country. Thanks for the insight Fash, I'll try not to get all worked up about such meaningless shit.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Who would have thought.. Hope and optimism can make people happy? Rubes!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I voted "the same" just because I'm a pretty happy guy all the time :P

My wife got a new job (and survived a round of layoffs), we have another baby girl, and my wife and I have been paying down debt and building our savings at a fantastic rate. However all of that additional happiness has been tempered by the economy. Many of our friends and family are falling on hard times. It's hard to feel 100% successful and happy when so many close to you are hurting.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Xyun wrote:
Fash wrote:
You are right, there's no real impact on me. I mean it's not like my whole life and future well being have changed just because of politics. It's not like my parents are dead or I am able to permanently remain in the country I love because of political decisions or anything like that. My priorities are definitely misplaced. I should put a lot less stock into "superstitious" things that obviously have no direct influence on my life or the future of my country. Thanks for the insight Fash, I'll try not to get all worked up about such meaningless shit.
Way to take it out of context... This is all about your Obama lovefest (and not just yours per se.) Obama had nothing to do with anything you just said. Your immigration happened under Bush, and whatever happened with your parents that I'm not aware of no doubt happened in another country.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

For the record, I was totally kidding about politics having anything to do with my current happiness... It was in response to someone asking Winnow about his motives for this poll. While Bush no longer being president adds a little happiness to my life, it's just a single HOOKERWHORESLUT on top of the sundae of my life, not the hot fudge/whipped cream/nuts/etc.

Go Blue!
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Fash wrote:
Xyun wrote:
Fash wrote:
Way to take it out of context... This is all about your Obama lovefest (and not just yours per se.) Obama had nothing to do with anything you just said. Your immigration happened under Bush, and whatever happened with your parents that I'm not aware of no doubt happened in another country.
Not taken out of context at all. You stated that hundreds of volunteer hours and dollars I devoted over the last year to a cause are misplaced priorities if they influenced my happiness. The very fact that I spent real time and real money to attain that happiness is direct proof against the idiotic assertion that it "has no real impact", not to mention the belief that political decisions don't impact us all. The context is your assertion that national politics shouldn't influence my mood. I responded within that context, with evidence of how they have been an integral part of my entire life, including the last year. Your apathy, indifference, and inability to hold dear the history and future of your country do not negate the importance of the work I did and the happiness it brought me. I guess if you really don't give two shits you can have a callous and indignant attitude towards those that do.

oh, and for the record, our case took place during the late 80's into the late 90's and was (thankfully) resolved by Clinton.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

You've got some valid reasons, but most people don't. Good (or bad?) for you.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Good or bad?

I guess it depends on what it means to be happy.

And what it means to be an American...
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fash wrote:You've got some valid reasons, but most people don't. Good (or bad?) for you.
George W. Bush spent the last eight years fucking up our country. I have every reason to be happy about his departure.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

To put this another way:

Some people, such as Fash, have the privilege of being able to view politics as some distant, unimportant thing because very little about their lives is likely to be particularly affected by politics. This is a privileged position. Other people, such as Xyun, do not have that luxury. Current developments in politics will determine whether gay people will be permitted to marry, adopt, and raise families; whether illegal immigrants will be given some sort of amnesty, kept in limbo, or aggressively deported; whether auto workers will have a job next month or not; and so forth. These people-- and their friends and families-- have every reason to have their happiness affected by political developments.

Listen, I've got no problem with making a top priority of keeping your house in order-- go ahead and worry about your family before you worry about the broader community. But to pretend that there's this huge distance between people's day to day lives and politics... well, it's not true. For many people.

Also, you seem to have curiously strong opinions on politics for someone who thinks that they're irrelevant...
Last edited by Sueven on January 26, 2009, 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

For the record, I'm not gay, but all the dudes I sleep with are. :vv_bj3:
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Funkmasterr wrote:Less happy. The day Obama got sworn in I got sick, I am still sick now and expect it will be at least four years before I feel any better :D
That reminds me. You owe me $10.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xyun wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Less happy. The day Obama got sworn in I got sick, I am still sick now and expect it will be at least four years before I feel any better :D
That reminds me. You owe me $10.
Shit.
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Can I change my vote to 100% less happy than I was when I posted I was less happy?
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Sirensa wrote:Can I change my vote to 100% less happy than I was when I posted I was less happy?
Why so sad chica? :(
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Lalanae wrote:
Sirensa wrote:Can I change my vote to 100% less happy than I was when I posted I was less happy?
Unemployed... and now, so is Sylvos!

It has gotten so bad in Oregon that we may have to leave :(
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Sirensa wrote:
Lalanae wrote:
Unemployed... and now, so is Sylvos!

It has gotten so bad in Oregon that we may have to leave :(
Oh no!! :(((
Lalanae
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

noooooooooo

I am so sorry to hear that. I am here for you guys if I can help, but I am pretty frightened of what BofA does. Fucking bad times all around. Maybe we can all become portland street people? *shudder*

Space under the Burnside bridge may be at a premium right now.
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

No change here. The good things are washed by the bad things. Hoping next year is better though.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The bad: Sarah's too flaky for me to invest any more time in that endeavor. The 40 billion dollar pot industry is yet untapped by the government. I inhaled a popcorn kernel a while ago and I feel it moving around in my right lung. People have such small attention spans and demand so much immediate entertainment that it becomes very difficult to find somebody worth knowing. My half of the heating bill was $240 last month. My poor mother has to take care of my brother, financially and otherwise. Our system of politics is so deranged that.... ahhh fuck it.

The good: I know myself a little better than I used to. I'm getting good enough at guitar to visit open mic night at the union without worrying too much. My brother is still alive, my mom still has a job, and my sister's still an amazing artist. I will always have a backup full-time job as a legal typist at a foreclosure firm where I worked over the summer. Katie gave me her number and I can't stop thinking about how I'm going to impress her. I am in the best shape of my life, running 5 miles a day and eating better than I ever had a chance to before. I'm living on my own, growing up in different ways and smoking a lot less.

All in all, since I have to put it in terms of happiness... I guess I'm happier. My mind is less clouded, more certain and more courageous. Being able to say that trumps most problems.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I am actually much happier now. Two weeks ago, I met my match and am in love. It is a wonderful feeling. She is the light in my life. I please her and she pleases me. If everything else goes to shit, I know that at least I have her.

Hallmarky shit, but that is how I feel.
en kærlighed småkager
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

im p. good i have this awesome plan to buy a house because a mortgage right now is about half of what i pay in rent and i can get 15k cash monies for being a first time home buyer now which would skyrocket me out of debt completely and leave enough left over to buy a freaking sweet car or something IF I COULD ONLY FIND A GOD DAMNED LOAN
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:im p. good i have this awesome plan to buy a house because a mortgage right now is about half of what i pay in rent and i can get 15k cash monies for being a first time home buyer now which would skyrocket me out of debt completely and leave enough left over to buy a freaking sweet car or something IF I COULD ONLY FIND A GOD DAMNED LOAN
A 15k Tax Credit isn't "15k cash monies" - it just reduces your taxable income by 15k, so you'd pay your taxes as if you'd made that much less. It's still very good, but unless you've heard something I haven't, Obama's not showing up at your house Ed McMahon-style with a giant check for $15,000.00.
- Ash
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Yeah, except minus Ed. You get the 15k added to your refund, and then they'll take $1k away from you each year for the next 15 years... if you sell the house, it becomes due.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I thought it was $7500? Did they change it?

Go Blue!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

It was $7500 when I got it, and it is still that way afaik, but I heard they were discussing doubling it.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fash wrote:It was $7500 when I got it, and it is still that way afaik, but I heard they were discussing doubling it.
I will look for the info, but I was just reading something stating that it was actually getting cut way back, and stricter salary restrictions were getting put on it. So much for helping the middle class, if they fucked up the one thing that they had going that could actually do that.