TMJ - Jaw issue

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

TMJ - Jaw issue

Post by Canelek »

Howdy folks. Well, turns out my last dentist trip triggered TMJ in my left jaw joint. Anyone else have any experience with this? The popping is unbelievably irritating, and it is a pain to chew.
en kærlighed småkager
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: TMJ - Jaw issue

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Yeah, I had TMJ back in high school. It is a serious pain in the ass, but just stretch your jaw out slowly down, then side to side a few times in a row every 2 or 3 hours and it should clear up after a few weeks. Should be able to find guides online describing the exercises in detail. Hope you feel better soon.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Explain the exercises, if you will.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Canelek wrote:Explain the exercises, if you will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O8ArvMOzqQ

When I was in my teens, one day I couldn't open my mouth more than an inch. They thought it was tmj, but it was actually my wisdom teeth interfering with the muscles of my jaw. I had my wisdom teeth out about 2 weeks later and I have'nt had a problem since. It was really weird. In the meantime, my Doc had me stack tongue depressors between my teeth. Once I reached a point where I was unconfortable, I had to slip in 1 more and hold it for about 5 minutes. I did that 3 times a day. It made things worse.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Canelek wrote:Explain the exercises, if you will.

I've never seen anyone for it, but i've had issues with it since jr. high (saxophone playing).

Basically, when I'm having trouble, I try not to do anything that requires opening your mouth wide. Use a straw, eat soup, whatever. Take it easy.

As for the excersizes. I'm going to try to explain it, but it's just something I figured out on my own. I only have trouble on the left side of my jaw. And when I'm having trouble, I can tell that my jaw isn't lining up correctly. It's like the left side falls out of pocket or something. Anyways, put your hand on your problem side just below your ear and open and close your mouth. Figure out what the fuck is going on (which way your jaw is moving that it's not supposed to). Then I just open my mouth fairly wide, and move my jaw back and forth side to side. At some point, my jaw will pop back into place and I won't have anymore problems (though I still take it easy for the rest of the day or so, because I have popped it back out before doing something stupid).

I doubt any of that makes sense, but if so I hope it helps. If not, yell at me and I'll try another direction.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:Yeah, I had TMJ back in high school. It is a serious pain in the ass, but just stretch your jaw out slowly down, then side to side a few times in a row every 2 or 3 hours and it should clear up after a few weeks. Should be able to find guides online describing the exercises in detail. Hope you feel better soon.
Jaw pain joke way to easy.
Nothing to see here. :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
When I was in my teens, one day I couldn't open my mouth more than an inch. They thought it was tmj, but it was actually my wisdom teeth interfering with the muscles of my jaw. I had my wisdom teeth out about 2 weeks later and I have'nt had a problem since. It was really weird. In the meantime, my Doc had me stack tongue depressors between my teeth. Once I reached a point where I was unconfortable, I had to slip in 1 more and hold it for about 5 minutes. I did that 3 times a day. It made things worse.
Was any anal sex or a blow job involved in this?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Hah! I wish it was funny enough for that.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:
Was any anal sex or a blow job involved in this?
I hadn't met your mother yet.