I'm really fucking pissed off but what else can i do?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I'm really fucking pissed off but what else can i do?

Post by Xyun »

About a month ago, I got home from work to find that my motorcycle had been moved. I had it parked in the covered parking area at my condo in between parking spaces, completely out of the way of any car. But someone had moved my bike over a few yards, in between another two parking spots. When I got upstairs I had a note on my door from the condo association saying that my bike was parked in a walkway and that was forbidden. The note said that I should keep the bike in my designated (uncovered) parking spot, and also to keep the noise level low in the middle of the night. I could understand the note, but why move my bike as if they couldn't walk around my bike? But wtf ever, maybe they were moving some furniture or something and they had to move my bike to get through. I checked it out nothing was wrong, so I moved it to my designated parking spot.

For the last week or so it's been sitting there in my designated spot. I've been using my car because it has been getting too cold to drive my bike home from work at 2 a.m. So I haven't touched it. Last night I get home at 2 a.m. like usual and happen to notice there is a car in the designated spot next to my bike, one that has been empty since I moved here in May. My condo has designated spots and guest spots and they are pretty stern about the parking and everything else for that matter. Bunch of really old retired people with nothing better to do, and I guess the association is the only thing that gives them the feeling of self importance anymore. Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld when he goes down to Florida to visit his parents. But I digress.

Today I wake up and when I happen to look out my window (I live on the 4th floor with a clear view of my parking spot) my bike had been knocked over or had fallen over, and the car on the right of it that I'd never seen before was gone. I go down and check it out. I pick the heavy ass bike back up and the kickstand is up (not broken). I put the kickstand back down and inspect the bike. There are no dents on the right side where the other car had been. There is a dent in the gas tank from the fall, and the left side mirror is broke. Also, the handlebar is misaligned to where I have to keep them pointed towards the left to go straight. However, there are no dents, marks, scratches, or any other evidence that would suggest the bike was hit or knocked over from the back or the right side. If a car had hit it hard enough to knock it over wouldn't there be some evidence of that?

And since the kickstand was up and since these bastards have gotten on my bike before it makes me think it was a person and not a vehicle that caused the fall. Either way I'm pretty fucking pissed off. I don't think it will cost too much money to fix it, but it will be a fucking hassle. I called my landlord, who called the condo association head, and they're going to talk to security. Apparently the condo association head (who lives on the 6th floor) saw the bike early this morning and it was fine. So the fall happened between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m, and the car next to it disappeared between 2 a.m. and 11 a.m. If I happen to ever see that car again (unlikely) I could inspect it for scratches or evidence. But really, what else can I do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: I'm really fucking pissed off but what else can i do?

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It doesn't seem like there is anything else for you to do. I would also try and let go of the sneaking suspicion that someone did it on purpose.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Comprehensive (or other-than-collision) coverage can help take care of it (if you had it) since it covers vandalism.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Mmm, if you never want your bike knocked over or otherwise messed with, move to somewhere with a lock up garage... oh and don't park it in public ><
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Damn is that picture recent? We have 4 inches of snow here in Green Bay today. That picture looks nice and warm.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I wouldn't so much rely on the kickstand being up to determine that someone laid it down intentionally. If the bike moves forward as it's falling, the kickstand is bound to come up since it's on a spring. I know that happened on my Sportster when I had it and both my HD FLHTC and CBR XX rice rocket were the same way. On the other hand, if a car had indeed hit it I would think the damage would be a bit more since it would have been a harder hit. Personally, I always parked my bike with it leaning towards the car so that if it did get bumped, it was a bit less likely to fall over. And if it did fall over, most likely it would fall towards the car which would stop the fall - unless it was hit fairly hard of course..
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

If the car bumped it pulling out, it most likely would not have knocked the bike over unless it hit hard enough to push it all the way up and over the stand. It would have to push from the back for the stand to fold and the bike to fall. Sounds like someone on foot screwed you on this.....or got on it and dropped it dicking around.

Only advice I have is to turn and lock the forks when you park it....which is of course a pain in the ass. I never did it with mine and got lucky I guess that no one ever bumped it or knocked it over by accident.

Luckily, all you have to do is wait unil the inauguration and Obama will buy you some new forks :-P In all seriousness though, I would still be super pissed and looking to see if I can catch someone screwing with it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ack. sorry to hear about yer bike.

If it was me, even if it were not knocked over, I would have been fucking LIVID if those cocksuckers attempted to move it.
en kærlighed småkager
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Damn is that picture recent? We have 4 inches of snow here in Green Bay today. That picture looks nice and warm.
Picture is from march or april when I first bought the bike, but that doesn't mean it's not sunny and 75 here during the day. :p
Boogahz wrote:Comprehensive (or other-than-collision) coverage can help take care of it (if you had it) since it covers vandalism.
Motorcycle insurance is not mandatory in Florida, hence I don't have any.
Fairweather Pure wrote:It doesn't seem like there is anything else for you to do. I would also try and let go of the sneaking suspicion that someone did it on purpose.
Yea, I've pretty much resigned myself to the notion that someone accidentally knocked it over and probably with a car. First of all, it happened in broad daylight. And secondly, I found a small mark on the bottom of the exhaust pipe. The mark is so tiny and in such a location that it is hard to believe it represents an impact strong enough to knock it over, but I guess it's possible. However, it is unrealistic to think that the bike sat there for over a week without incident, and all of a sudden someone decided to fuck with it. Especially considering I live in a pseudo retirement community:

I'm 32 and I'm by far the youngest person here. The next youngest is literally 10-15 years older than me and the vast majority are wrinkled and decrepit people in their 60s and 70s (one old lady actually screamed "SLOW DOWN" at me when I was going 15-20 mph on the main street, lol). There are no children around, and these old farts really have no reason to fuck with me. Hmm, except that they hate my Obama stickers on my car. Hmm...
Zaelath wrote:Mmm, if you never want your bike knocked over or otherwise messed with, move to somewhere with a lock up garage... oh and don't park it in public ><
thanks for the advice, einstein.
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:If the car bumped it pulling out, it most likely would not have knocked the bike over unless it hit hard enough to push it all the way up and over the stand. It would have to push from the back for the stand to fold and the bike to fall. Sounds like someone on foot screwed you on this.....or got on it and dropped it dicking around.

Only advice I have is to turn and lock the forks when you park it....which is of course a pain in the ass. I never did it with mine and got lucky I guess that no one ever bumped it or knocked it over by accident.

Luckily, all you have to do is wait unil the inauguration and Obama will buy you some new forks :-P In all seriousness though, I would still be super pissed and looking to see if I can catch someone screwing with it.
Locking the wheel and parking it in gear are two things that I probably should've done all along. I guess now is a good time to start doing these things. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to shimmy the handlebars back to the proper alignment and bend the mirror back into place myself. I don't expect too much trouble. I'm also going to park it against the wall in my designated spot from now on so that there is not chance of a car hitting it. Beyond that, I don't think I will ever find the culprit. But at least I gave some people an earful and I'm sure word about the incident will spread quickly and the guilty party will eventually hear about my anger through the rumor mill, since it is 95% likely that they live in these condos. Not that it will make much difference. But maybe they'll all be more fucking careful, especially when it comes to anything having to do with me.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Intimidating your neighbors through threats of physical violence. It's the American way. You're fitting right in!

And just because it isn't mandatory doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Renter's insurance isn't mandatory yet I have that.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Xyun wrote:
Boogahz wrote:Comprehensive (or other-than-collision) coverage can help take care of it (if you had it) since it covers vandalism.
Motorcycle insurance is not mandatory in Florida, hence I don't have any.
I know that there is no insurance requirement for motorcycles in the state of Florida, but that is no reason not to have it. Keep that in mind when you get thrown from your bike and the person drives away. :) Your auto policy won't cover your injuries*, and the many medical insurers won't cover motorcycle injuries as the primary. Liability is pretty damn cheap, and your bike probably wouldn't be too bad with physical damage coverages. Get coverage for yourself, even if you don't have to have it for the bike. It's the damn rice rockets that end up being thousands of dollars a year...

*there is a chance that your Personal Injury Protection could cover you in the event you are hit by a motorvehicle
Last edited by Boogahz on November 25, 2008, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Not having motorcycle insurance is about as smart as not wearing a helmet.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:Not having motorcycle insurance is about as smart as not wearing a helmet.

Helmets are not required in Florida.....IF you have insurance!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

WWFunkmasterrD?
en kærlighed småkager
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Store your bike somewhere else when you aren't using it. You can probably rent a storage place for $30 a month or so.

Maybe you could find a place where you could swap it and your car out, and leave the one you aren't using there or something. That would be a problem if it rained though, unless you ride in the rain.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

put an inflatable black guy on it when you arent using it, that will keep those old retirees at bay

midnyte left or you could probably borrow his
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Boogahz wrote:
miir wrote:Not having motorcycle insurance is about as smart as not wearing a helmet.

Are helmets required if you don't have a licence?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Zaelath wrote:
Boogahz wrote:

Are helmets required if you don't have a licence?
Apparently not for NFL QB's.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

All YOUR fault pal.

Leave stuff insecure and it will be exploited. Your first mistake was buying it unless you have a garage to put it in at night, even then I question your decision to purchase such a dangerous mode of transportation.

You obviously lack in self confidence and thus purchased something to make you feel stronger, attractive or perhaps lengthen your E-peen.

Gas is cheap, but a V8 and drive fast!
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

... or maybe he just wanted a motorcycle? Good grief man.

Sorry your shit got fucked up, Xyun. Maybe it was a small boy, say 5, who wasn't being well supervised by his parent/grandparent and who, having realized what he did cried to his mommy who may or may not have told you.

So yeah, I knocked over a neighbor's bike when I was a toddler, they aren't that sturdy man - it doesn't take a car or a wrecking ball. I also wrote on a neighbor's new Caddy with a rock. That one cost my dad a few bucks to the body shop (lucky I didn't have any real strength behind it) and a bottle of scotch to the Warrant Officer who just bought it home.

Of course it COULD have been the Hillary Coalition's secret chapter in your development out for revenge!
- Ash
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I'm over it. I shimmied the handlebars back into place. I always wear a helmet. I'm looking into insurance as a result of this thread. I'm parking my bike in the back of my spot and protecting it with my car.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xyun wrote: For the last week or so it's been sitting there in my designated spot. I've been using my car because it has been getting too cold to drive my bike home from work at 2 a.m.

Aren't you in Florida? Thought it never dropped below 80F there!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

We had a nice chilly Thanksgiving.

Also, I don't think wearing a helmet is required by law if you have insurance or not. Both are stupid not to do/have. But I don't think they're required.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Xyun wrote:I'm over it. I shimmied the handlebars back into place. I always wear a helmet. I'm looking into insurance as a result of this thread. I'm parking my bike in the back of my spot and protecting it with my car.

Blocking a bike with the car is a real good idea for another big reason. Up here there have been a lot of bikes, especially Harleys, stolen by crews of 5 Mexicans with pickup trucks. They will pull right next to the bike, throw a matress on the ground next to the bike, knock it over on the mattress then pick the whole thing up and slide it in the back of the truck and gone. People suck.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

laneela wrote:Also, I don't think wearing a helmet is required by law if you have insurance or not. Both are stupid not to do/have. But I don't think they're required.
I agree on the inportance of wearing a helmet while riding, but it is actually required in the state of Florida to wear a helmet unless you have insurance (or a $10k bond I think).
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Helmets are not mandatory in only 2 states. Florida is one of them, I forget the other one. South Carolina maybe.

As far as the weather, it's still sunny and high 60's to mid 70's during the day, but at 2 a.m. it's more like 50-55. With a motorcycle on a highway, my general rule is subtract 15 degrees from the temp and that's what it feels like. It's a good formula. 100 feels like 85 and 50 feels like 35. Technically I could bundle up like mad for the 40 minute trek to work or I could take my car. I've taken my bike with these temperatures before and I learned my lesson. One time I was so freezing cold I thought I was gonna get hypothermia. Also, I have to cross the sunshine skyway bridge both ways and the wind up towards the apex is ungodly. This picture only shows about half of it, but you get the idea.

Here's another pic for a frame of reference

Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Xyun wrote:Helmets are not mandatory in only 2 states. Florida is one of them, I forget the other one. South Carolina maybe.
Pennsylvania.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Xyun wrote:Helmets are not mandatory in only 2 states. Florida is one of them, I forget the other one. South Carolina maybe.
"In Florida, the law requires that all riders younger than 21 years wear helmets, without exception. Those 21 years and older may ride without helmets only if they can show proof that they are covered by a medical insurance policy."

The tricky part is that many health insurers will not cover motorcycle accidents, or they may require you to purchase specific coverage that would cover one. There are MANY states which do not require helmets, but most of them have an age limit at which the cut off on the requirement goes away (17 years old for most). I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, but this is what I do every day. Yes, even when I am off work ><

Here is a spot you can check up on the current info: http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xyun wrote: Image

Catch any air going over the top?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Helmets are not mandatory in only 2 states. Florida is one of them, I forget the other one. South Carolina maybe.
Not even close.

http://www.bikersrights.com/states/50state.html
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Not even close.

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Not even close.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I guess I wasn't the only one having issues with the board today :P
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

ooops :shock:
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Stephen Fry (quoted from memory), quoting a doctor acquaintance of his:
You know what we call motorcyclists here at the casualty ward?

Donors.
and there's the anecdote about an elderly lady going in for a corneal transplant only to be told that they don't have a donor, but "it shouldn't be long - it's raining."
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I've taken my bike with these temperatures before and I learned my lesson. One time I was so freezing cold I thought I was gonna get hypothermia.
Heh, what a pussy.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:Stephen Fry (quoted from memory), quoting a doctor acquaintance of his:
You know what we call motorcyclists here at the casualty ward?

Donors.
and there's the anecdote about an elderly lady going in for a corneal transplant only to be told that they don't have a donor, but "it shouldn't be long - it's raining."
Donorcycles!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Xyun wrote:One time I was so freezing cold I thought I was gonna get hypothermia.
I took a motorcycle trip up to the blue ridge mountains a few years ago and joyfully it was down in the mid-30's at night and raining. We had doubled up clothing, leathers and then rain suits on top of the leathers - it was nuts. Was also my first experience with switch-backs and I could have made diamonds my ass was squeezed so tight. I don't recommend a dresser on switchback roads. But if you're in the area, Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is awesome - if it's still there. Bikes only, no car access.
Xyun wrote:Also, I have to cross the sunshine skyway bridge both ways and the wind up towards the apex is ungodly.
It's not bad on a dresser, but on my crotch rocket it sucked. I'd hate doing it at 2am. Especially with everyone half asleep.