Breakfast

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

How often do you eat breakfast?

Never/Almost Never
26%
Some days I do, some days I don't
33%
Every day/Almost every day
41%

Total votes: 70

Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Breakfast

Post by Lalanae »

OK posted a poll about how often you eat breakfast. Follow up questions:
  • If you chose "Every day/Almost every day" what do you normally eat?
  • If you sometimes eat breakfast & sometimes don't eat breakfast, do you notice any difference between days you do and days you don't (bigger lunch, less energy etc.)?
  • What is your favorite healthy breakfast? What is your favorite not-so-healthy breakfast?
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: Breakfast

Post by Fash »

I can't really discern an energy (or any) difference whether I eat breakfast or not... Except that it's 95% likely that I'll have to shit before lunch if I do.

I'm usually not hungry until several hours after waking up, no matter what, but there are a lot of tasty fast food breakfast items, so if I have the time I'll treat myself.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I never used to eat breakfast and now I do, every day. The only difference I've noticed is that it used to take me hours (a couple at least) to be fully functional and now, I'm functional right after breakfast. I tend to make myself some oatmeal for breakfast or I'll have some multi-grain frozen waffles on days that I work. If I'm not at work, we'll go to some bakery and get some pastries and make a smoothie at home. Very rarely (and usually when on vacation) do we ever have like a full-blown American breakfast with pancakes and eggs and (mmmmmmm...) bacon.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

In a perfect world, I'd eat breakfast every day. I go through phases when I do. Usually it's when I'm trying to improve my diet, and I'll have a bowl of oatmeal with blueberries in it, or a bowl of cereal, I really like this stuff:

Unfortunately now I'm in a phase of not waking up with enough time to eat breakfast before I'm late for work, so breakfast gets cut out. I should change that.

On the rare occasion when I do eat breakfast right now, it's a nice, unhealthy McDonald's breakfast. I enjoy the #11 (bacon, egg and cheese bagel) or whatever number the bacon, egg and cheese biscuit meal is.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Weird, I know I posted this but it's gone into cyber space now.

I only eat breakfast on the weekends when I can cook for my family. It will typically be eggs and bacon if I have any and about once a month I will make sausage gravy and biscuts.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

I try to grab something on my way out the door every morning, even if it's just a piece of toast. It gets my metabolism going, and I'm usually hungry by lunchtime, whereas on days that I don't eat breakfast, water usually keeps me going until I get home in the evening.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I work 2nd shift, so lunch is my breakfast! I eat twice a day, but I usually eat a lot at each meal. I notice no difference in my body/mind if I add or take away meals for a day or 2. Of course, I also don't remember the last time I had to get up for work. It's been 3-4 years at least.

When I start working from home, I will eat 3 square meals a day. Breakfast will be oatmeal, buttered toast, bannana, and OJ.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on March 20, 2008, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I eat breakfast everyday. It's not always typical breakfast food, and it's not always eaten in the morning, if the first meal eaten each day is considered breakfast, regardless of time of day.

Usually it's a bowl of cereal, but sometimes it's a 3 serving size, frozen meal in a bag. It keeps me without hunger for up to 8 hours, but generally 5 or 6 hours. A bowl of cereal, and I'm hungry within 2.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I struggle to eat breakfast, but I try.

When I succeed, it's a fried egg on a whole wheat english muffin.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Everyday, I eat at work, usually oatmeal or a fiber bar. All the dieticians recommend breakfast or something.
No difference noticed from when I didn't used to eat anything early.
My favorite sinful breakfast is a Hardees Ham Biscuit, or a Bacon, Egg and Cheese, a nice little hockey puck of fat and carbs.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

guilty pleasure champion: sausage egg and cheese McGriddle.

runner up: the new waffle sandwich from dunkin' donuts.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Usually cold cereal or oatmeal, rare that I miss it. Seems to make a difference in how well I function, keeps me from being cranky anyway.

Perfect breakfast? My Grandma's, coffee, bacon, (real) sausage, eggs and toast, both deep fried in the bacon\sausage fat, preserves, juice and fruit if there was anything in season. Don't know that I'd eat it now but my mouth waters thinking back on it :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

I never eat breakfast.

I find when I eat breakfast, I'm still hungry at lunchtime.

When i don't eat breakfast, I'm hungry at lunchtime too!

And I tend to eat the same no matter what, so even though I know they "say" it's better to eat breakfast, mine usually consists of a cup of coffee.

I love breakfast foods in general (and on the weekends I almost always have a "brunch" that consists of my favorites - eggs/sausage/bacon/steak - whatever is around), but I just don't get motivated enough in the morning to get up that extra 20 minutes earlier.

Getting up at 5:30-6AM for work is bad enough, I never feel like getting up at 5 to make breakfast.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Not too often, unless people are in town and want to go out for breakfast...vacation, etc.

Some weekends I will get the urge to make the best food ever, which is a bacon, hashbrown, egg and fresh jalepeno burrito. :D

At work I will sometimes have a poptart, oatmeal, yogurt or a few carnitas tacos, if the lunch truck is in early.
en kærlighed småkager
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

I usually have breakfast 50-75% of the time. Most times, it's a piece of fruit with yogurt and granola mixed in (healthy). Occasionally, I'll make breakfast burritos on Sunday to have through the week (not healthy).

Breakfast Burrito

1/2 cup boiled/sauteed cubed potatoes
1/4 cup chorizo
1 fried scrambled egg
1/4 cup salsa/green chili
1/4 cup colby-jack cheese

roll it all up in a burrito, wrap it in culliphane and pop it in the microwave for 20 seconds.

I notice no difference in my appitite if I skip breakfast. If I get really involved on a project, hours could go by before I notice I'm even hungry.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

I eat breakfast every morning. Typically, I eat some cereal and a piece of toast with water or juice, and grab a banana to eat on my way to campus. If I sleep through my alarm and don't eat breakfast I usually feel like shit and end up getting a mild headache (until I can finally get something in my stomach).
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

In the old days it was a breakfast burrito. Lately, I buy Egg McMuffin looking thingies from Costco (50 seconds to cook in microwave) and eat one of those at work when I get there.

I eat lunch pretty early at 11am so breakfast isn't a big priority. The Romans didn't eat breakfast and they kicked ass (until the lead poisoning etc kicked in).
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I force myself to have at least a little something for breakfast each day. Usually it is in the form of a bar of some sort when I am at work. Just enough to keep the metabolism working. On the weekends I will actually have a nice breakfast that includes, most of the time, eggs and toast and maybe some bacon or sausage. This is mainly because I have to feed my kids as well, and the wife too.
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

I used to not (or rarely) eat breakfast, but I've been eating breakfast more over the last 6 months. Usually it's cold or hot cereal or a couple of toaster waffles (anything that's quick to make). If I am really in a hurry to get to work I'll wait until my morning break to eat something. I find that when I do eat breakfast I feel I have a bit more energy in the mornings.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I rarely do. I hate cereal, except for granola. I may occasionally have some eggs, or once in a blue moon I'll make some french toast. Otherwise coffee is my breakfast.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Bout 50/50...

I generally opt for Oatmeal with a bit of cinnamon and honey or Cheerios (no milk for me)...

I have started drinking a glass of V8 Fruit/Veggie Juice...The stuff is great and has a full serving of Fruit and Vegetables...Seems to give me a heck of a lot of energy...
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

I try to eat breakfast at work. Usually yogurt if anything. Sometimes a granola bar or whatever. And coffee! And water. And sometimes tea.

If I eat a bad breakfast, by bad I mean delicious, it's some form of bacon/eggs and/or pancakes and/or hashbrowns!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I almost always eat breakfast during the week, but rarely on the weekends. Usually I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch with non-fat milk, some OJ and a banana. Occasionally I'll have yogurt & granola, oatmeal with maple syrup or grits instead of the Kashi.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Xatrei wrote:Usually I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch
That's the other stuff I was trying to remember! It is so good, tastes like some of the cereal I used to eat as a kid, yet is good for you.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Sylvus wrote:That's the other stuff I was trying to remember! It is so good, tastes like some of the cereal I used to eat as a kid, yet is good for you.
Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised by this stuff the first time I tried it. Kashi's whole grain waffles are pretty tasty, too.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I eat breakfast 99% of the time. Not sure how so many of you can get along without eating it or why you would choose not to.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Keverian FireCry wrote:I eat breakfast 99% of the time. Not sure how so many of you can get along without eating it or why you would choose not to.
not hungry.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Oatmeal for 70% of the time, the other 30%, doughnuts or breakfast sandwiches.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

My ultimate breakfast is a sandwich with turkey, salami, pepperjack cheese and mayonaisse. Maybe an apple if one's around.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I go in phases, too. I will eat oatmeal for breakfast for a few weeks then I won't eat breakfast for a few months.

I would say I get a breakfast bagel or burrito or whatnot maybe 1 time a year. So for the most part no, I don't eat breakfast, however one difference I think I have noticed is when I do eat breakfast, I am hungry for lunch earlier, which I guess is maybe because my metabolism actually got going and burned off some stuff.. not sure.
Waikiki
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: FeistyPea
PSN ID: clmolnar

Post by Waikiki »

I eat breakfast every day. I try to keep it pretty healthy. It's normally one of 2 choices:

1. A serving of oatmeal with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and a teaspoon of pure maple syrup.
2. 2 eggs (2 whites, 1 yolk) and a piece of whole grain bread toasted.
Sheryl
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sheryl »

usually for me it's some variety of kashi granola bar eaten on the ride in to work. then coffee when i get there. it does get annoying when i'm ready for lunch at 11am every day, but if i don't eat anything in the morning my ass is dragging.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Depends on where I am. I always have a cup of tea or hot chocolate for my caffeine fix (fuck coffee!!!) but food is random.

When I'm at home it varies:
- a lot of skips
- possibly oatmeal
- more commonly yogurt and branflakes
- sometimes a piece of fruit or 2 and a granola bar

On the road:
- if I'm by myself, I skip it a lot, maybe stop for a breakfast burrito/egg and muffin deal someplace
- if I'm traveling with someone else, meet for breakfast and plan the day kind of deals and will tend to things like fruit salad and toast but sometimes you gotta do the full scale bacon, eggs, toast et al, esp if lunch looks questionable
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I always have a cup of tea or hot chocolate for my caffeine fix (fuck coffee!!!) but food is random
I had no idea that hot chocolate contained caffeine.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
I always have a cup of tea or hot chocolate for my caffeine fix (fuck coffee!!!) but food is random
It has minute traces of caffeine! See my cacao post!

If it's made with real coco, it will have Theobromine which is the active agent that will perk you up a little more subtly than caffeine and with a lot less negative effects!

Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

I eat breakfast allmost everyday, mostly a piece of toast , 1/2 a grapefruit or 2 links of sausage, 1-8 oz cup of DEcaffe folgers coffee.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

There is hot chocolate with added caffeine now, I think it's Nestlea but I'm not sure. I saw it at my girlfriend's apartment the other day, it said it had the same caffeine as a cup of coffee.

My breakfast is usually pretty crappy. Since I spend a lot of time in a variety of grocery stores every day for work I've sampled every one of their fresh food breakfast options. A local (and quickly spreading to other states) chain called Wegmans has Cinnamon Sugar Bagels which I effing LOVE. They also have some killer Egg Bagels which I sometimes get instead. Or sometimes I do one of each if I can't decide.

Usually top that with a 2% milk or a chocolate milk if the mood strikes. Better than nothing I guess.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Breakfast = bottle of water and a shot of VPX Redline.. Never got into the whole coffee thing.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Neziroth wrote:A local (and quickly spreading to other states) chain called Wegmans
Whoever designed the layout of those stores here in N. VA must have had a fucking seizure because there's like 3 or 10 different places you can find certain items. Pasta aisle? NO LETS DO A PASTA BAZAAR HERE AND OVER HERE AND OVER HERE AND OVER HERE.

I saw a joke once that drew the lines men took while shopping and there was a singular path that usually didn't go past something twice, it then had the path women took and it's like a squiggly spaghetti plate looking thing and it totally reminds me of how Wegmans is set up.

Sorry for the derail ><
(I hear they have good food there if you can find it)
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Guess I should add my 2 cents.

I always eat within an hour or two of waking. My body sometimes wakes up hungry, which to me is a good sign. Means my metabolism is moving.

I TRY to eat a high protein breakfast (experts say it will decrease cravings later in the days) of Egg Beaters & turkey bacon, but I can only do that so much. I often end up eating a cereal bar or Weight Watchers muffin. Sometimes it's a whole wheat English muffin or whole wheat toast.

I drink a cup of green tea with my breakfast most mornings. If I need a real boost, I'll drink a Starbucks Light Cafe Mocha drink (the canned ones), but that's rare (maybe once every couple weeks).

I'm suprised how many people eat oatmeal and Kashi cereals. I expected more Froot Loops from this crowd :P
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Oh and for you whole grain cereal eaters, I heartily recommend Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus Raisin Bran if your local health food store carries it.

11g of fiber!! plus 650mg of Omega-3 :)
http://www.naturespath.com/products/col ... aisin_bran

It's really good too. Is more like corn flakes than bran flakes crunchy-wise.

Edit: Just realized Sylvus' cereal is Nature's Path too!
Last edited by Lalanae on March 28, 2008, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalanae
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Lalanae wrote:I'm suprised how many people eat oatmeal and Kashi cereals. I expected more Froot Loops from this crowd
I'm sure there's a lot of self-selection going on here... the unhealthy eaters probably aren't really interested in the 'what do you eat' threads.

Every single Kashi product I've ever had is f'ing disgusting. Kudos to those of you who eat it (and even apparently like it :shock: :shock:)

Winnow, that chart you posted is such garbage it's unbelievable.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

From all these Kashi food listed, it is a wonder some of you don't poop bundled twigs.

yes, poop
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Sueven wrote:Every single Kashi product I've ever had is f'ing disgusting. Kudos to those of you who eat it (and even apparently like it :shock: :shock:)
I know it's all subjective, but this is a bit surprising. I actually like every Kashi product I've tried from hot and cold cereals to granola bars to frozen waffles - even their frozen pizza. I understand that some people might not like it, but disgusting?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Xatrei wrote:
Sueven wrote:Every single Kashi product I've ever had is f'ing disgusting. Kudos to those of you who eat it (and even apparently like it :shock: :shock:)
I know it's all subjective, but this is a bit surprising. I actually like every Kashi product I've tried from hot and cold cereals to granola bars to frozen waffles - even their frozen pizza. I understand that some people might not like it, but disgusting?
I haven't tried it in a number of years, but the last time i had a kashi (i believe kashi go lean) product, it tasted like a combination of grass and tree bark. However, the rest of my family absolutely loves kashi, so it's probably just me.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Yeah, it tastes like I was running around outside, fell over, and got a mouthful of whatever was scattered on the ground.

And I usually like whole wheaty sort of stuff, too

And, of course, it is subjective... I'm glad that others like it, because it sure is healthy. I wish I liked it.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Canelek wrote:From all these Kashi food listed, it is a wonder some of you don't poop bundled twigs.

yes, poop
Haha, I've only tried one of their cereals years ago and hated it, but I'm a big multi-grain high-fiber person. There is nothing like having healthy bowel movements every day like clockwork!
Lalanae
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Lala, that is the sexiest thing anyone has said to me all day.

poop!
en kærlighed småkager
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Lalanae wrote:There is nothing like having healthy bowel movements every day like clockwork!
Channeling your inner Melissa?!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I like pooping.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.