I'm getting fat

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I'm getting fat

Post by Spang »

As you may or may not know, one of the side effects to quitting smoking is a growing belly, and mine hasn't stopped growing.

How do I get the rest of my body to become fat too? I'm out of proportion at the moment!
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: I'm getting fat

Post by Winnow »

Switch to a cyber relationship. You're appearance doesn't matter then!

I also heard that high waist trousers will squeeze the fat into other areas.

Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

I've heard that belly fat is the first to come and the last to go. It's one of the curses of a human body, is all of you can look great but your belly can hang right on over your belt and you can't do much about it.

Congrats for quitting, seriously. My mother has a lot of health issues from smoking, so seeing somebody quit always makes me smile. I wish that on nobody.

Running or some sort of cardio (light cardio maybe, depending on the extent of your smoking habbit) is a good idea, and probably your best bet for reducing the belly.

Keep healthy low fat low calorie snackfood available. From what I've seen, you don't even have to like it that much you'll still pick it up and munch on it out of a mix of nerves / habbit. Don't keep candy like skittles or M&M's or anything, obviously.

Enjoy your newly-found sense of smell, your ability to take a full breath of air, and all the extra time you've added to your life. (2 packs a day = 14 packs a week = 280 cigs a week = 32.5 hrs a week. (works out to like 70 days a year? wow never figured all that out)

Seriously, if you start tasting foods more, and if you have an excersise routine that you enjoy, you'll be able to use those things more than anything to keep yourself from going back, because with smoking, it's one or the other.

Good luck.

disclaimer: all of this is from second hand knowledge from watching family quit.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:As you may or may not know, one of the side effects to quitting smoking is a growing belly, and mine hasn't stopped growing.

How do I get the rest of my body to become fat too? I'm out of proportion at the moment!
Having the same issue here, I have just recently started walking on the treadmill every other day or so and it's already working wonders :)

I just walk like 1-2 miles at about 4-5 mph and a 5% incline. Once I get in a bit better shape I'll start to jog. It's really nice that we actually have a pretty decent work out room in the basement of our apartments, I probably wouldn't be doing this if I actually had to drag my lazy ass to a gym.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Have a smoke! Don't listen to me, I'm terrible.

But seriously, Don't quit if you can't do it without replacing it with a worse habit. Over-eating is far worse for you than smoking a pack a day.

Yes, I'm a smoker... I'm also within 10 pounds of my lowest weight for the past decade, and consider myself healthy.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, eat one of the following (not all of the following) for lunch: 3 bratwursts, 3 chicken sandwiches, a tombstone pizza, or a frozen meal in a bag called Voila from Birds Eye Foods. For dinner I eat one of the above again, or a cup of ramen noodles. I also drink beer nearly every day, and eat a family size bag of Fritos a week or less. Sometimes I may get the Hardee's Philly Cheesesteak Thickburger, maybe once a week.

Obviously I have a shitty diet, but it's quick and easy to make. I'd like a healthier diet, but after eating a meal, I don't want to be hungry an hour later, and taste is important to me.

I either want to be proportionately fat or lose this beer belly. Maybe all I need to do is exercise!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I haven't changed my eating habits at all since I quit, actually they are a little better because when I went to get smokes at the gas station I would pick up snacks and shit too, and I don't do that anymore.. It's just my metabolism slowing back down that has slapped the weight on.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, eat one of the following (not all of the following) for lunch: 3 bratwursts, 3 chicken sandwiches, a tombstone pizza, or a frozen meal in a bag called Voila from Birds Eye Foods. For dinner I eat one of the above again, or a cup of ramen noodles. I also drink beer nearly every day, and eat a family size bag of Fritos a week or less. Sometimes I may get the Hardee's Philly Cheesesteak Thickburger, maybe once a week.

Obviously I have a shitty diet, but it's quick and easy to make. I'd like a healthier diet, but after eating a meal, I don't want to be hungry an hour later, and taste is important to me.

I either want to be proportionately fat or lose this beer belly. Maybe all I need to do is exercise!
:lol:

Try working out, it doesn't even have to be anything crazy, like I said I have just been speed walking and I'm already noticing a difference.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Spang wrote:I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, eat one of the following (not all of the following) for lunch: 3 bratwursts, 3 chicken sandwiches, a tombstone pizza, or a frozen meal in a bag called Voila from Birds Eye Foods. For dinner I eat one of the above again, or a cup of ramen noodles. I also drink beer nearly every day, and eat a family size bag of Fritos a week or less. Sometimes I may get the Hardee's Philly Cheesesteak Thickburger, maybe once a week.

Just don't eat so much. Cut 3 down to 2, cut a whole pizza down to a half (or like 3 slices). Stop going back for second servings. After a couple weeks of that, your body will feel just as full as it did before.
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

If you drink regular soda you can switch to diet, some of the new diet sodas taste pretty good these days. The "Zero" or Fresca line from coke and the Jazz line from pepsi come to mind.

Yeah diet coke is bad on a whole other level, I know, so you could go to water if it bothers you that much, but they wouldn't be on the market if they were deathly unsafe (or so I tell myself as I drink them)

Eat more small meals a day. Split your 3 bratwursts for lunch into 3 meals throughout the mid morning / early afternoon / evening. Eating ups your resting calorie consumption and your metabolism.

6-9 eating sessions a day is the new "thing" for dieting to lose weight.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I had the Flu all last week. That did wonders for reducing my appetite.

I haven't been that sick in years. Hopefully I got one of the new Flu strains that aren't covered by this year's flu shots which I never get so my immune system builds up some protection for next year.

Someone went into my office and used my phone while I was out. That person has been out sick for days. Serves them right. I can't stand people using/touching shit in my office. I could care less that they are sick but what if they had the flu and then touched my shit? I'd be pissed if they got me sick. Stay the fuck away from other people's stuff at the office.

Anyway, I had to have lost some major poundage because I didn't eat anything for almost a week. I don't find myself as hungry or eating as much now that I'm healthy again.

Try the Flu diet.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Neziroth wrote:Yeah diet coke is bad on a whole other level, I know, so you could go to water if it bothers you that much, but they wouldn't be on the market if they were deathly unsafe (or so I tell myself as I drink them)
You mean like cigarettes? ;)
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Had the same problem after I quit, down to where I want to be now (~150lbs), which is 10-15 lbs less that I weighed before I quit.. It took me 7-8 months. 30 minutes exercise 3 days week makes a world of difference. Cardio is good, but just taking a walk is way better than nothing.

Your diet sucks :) Spend a week calorie counting, afterwards try keep yourself around the reccomended level. The USDA and about.com both have good resources for what you should be eating and tracking what you actually are eating.

http://caloriecount.about.com/account

Decent rule of thumb, read the labels on what you buy, if it says more than 3 gram of fat per serving, skip it. I eat pretty well I think, took some research to do it and not be a lardass though. The wife was on a no\low cholesterol diet for a while, shopping for that was a real wakeup for me as far as what's in 90% of the food sold at the grocery store. Our shopping changed drastically afterwards, got a lot cheaper too.

Don't bother with any specific diet, just try for 3-4 balanced meals a day that puts you up around the recommended calorie level.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Neziroth wrote:6-9 eating sessions a day is the new "thing" for dieting to lose weight.
It's definitely not new. I heard about eating smaller meals more often rather than the traditional '3 squares' many years ago.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

It's definitely not new. I heard about eating smaller meals more often rather than the traditional '3 squares' many years ago.
Ah, I never have until recently. My mistake.
I had the Flu all last week. That did wonders for reducing my appetite.
Just getting over that myself. I could eat like normal, had no nausea, but whatever I did eat went through me like a mfkn lazer beam.

It was ugly. I caught up on my rolling stone magazines though!

Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Fash wrote:Over-eating is far worse for you than smoking a pack a day.
That's like saying "Stop stabbing yourself in the hand with that icepick! Beat your foot with this hammer instead!"
Either one is (generally speaking) due to choices you've made, it's not an either\or situation, one does not "cause" the other.

Unless you're grossly obese which is generally due to choices you've made, being a little overweight really isn't a big deal as long as you're active and have a decent diet. I'm sure there's a smoking threshold where your various risks are minimal, I wouldn't even take a guess as to where it is though. Even then you've still got the random chance of some gunk floating through a constricted blood vessel after you've had a smoke and causing a clog, or that flexing of the blood vessels breaking something loose and causing a blockage, or the blood pressure spike associated with smoking causing a rupture someplace, etc..
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Honestly Spang, you're probably fine for losing that weight quickly other than the state of your diet. I am in no way trying to offend you, but I cringed like four times when I read through it. I understand the quick aspect, and the inexpensive aspect, but given your age, and your likely high metabolism, you could simply change your diet and likely lose it rather quickly.

I could recommend a lot of things, so if you're interested I'll post more, but as a minimum...

I'd do the following: Switch to diet sodas and non-fat milk. The milk will take a few weeks to get used to, and then you won't care anymore. During the week (Mon-Fri) try eating a grilled chicken breast and some brown rice for dinner. You can buy brown rice in what my friends used to joke was my UN bag at Smart and Final or Costco, and you can get a cheap rice cooker for like $20 or just do it on the stove. Get a bag of frozen chicken breasts from Costco or wherever. Get your self a George Foreman grill and it's pretty easy to thaw them and then grill them. Use all the soy sauce/BBQ sauce you want on the chicken/rice. Also, cut out beer during the week. Also cut out the bratwursts. As good as they taste and believe me I love them, they're horribly fatty and if you're eating three... you get the idea. Stick with the chicken sandwiches if at all possible. Grilled is worlds better than fried, and the less mayo the better. BBQ sauce has a lot of calories due to the sugar, but generally no fat, so it's your friend.

If you can do all that during the week, you'll find that you can do pretty much what you want on the weekends, especially if you start doing some form of exercise. I'm in great shape, but I'll tell you that once I turned 31ish, losing weight is a LOT harder for me than it used to be.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

what noel said.

I love dr pepper. It's like crack in a can for me, and I'd drink 6 a day if I could, but there's a shitton of sugar and sodium in them. I don't like diet soda, so I switched to water and limit myself on a 2:1 water to dp ratio. It also helps if I put a set number of cans in the fridge each week, and once they're gone, then I don't get anymore for the week. I've lost about 10 pounds just doing that. I keep lemons around the house if I need flavor or something. My advice is to buy a nice water filter and make it your best friend.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Syenye wrote:what noel said.

I love dr pepper. It's like crack in a can for me, and I'd drink 6 a day if I could, but there's a shitton of sugar and sodium in them. I don't like diet soda, so I switched to water and limit myself on a 2:1 water to dp ratio. It also helps if I put a set number of cans in the fridge each week, and once they're gone, then I don't get anymore for the week. I've lost about 10 pounds just doing that. I keep lemons around the house if I need flavor or something. My advice is to buy a nice water filter and make it your best friend.
Definitely good advice. We have one of the filters you screw onto your faucet, it was about $40 and the replacement filters are expensive (like 50 dollars at sams club for a pack of 6 I think) but the water is great.. Then because I'm kind of a freak about water I run it out of the faucet that has that filter on it, into a brita jug with a filter that goes in the fridge to keep it cold (I can't drink water unless it's cold, the colder the better.)

But yeah, good clean water rules.. I drink like 5-6 glasses a day at work and the same number at home after work, I've minimized my pop intake too, I still use it for mixer on the weekends but thats about it (and that won't change) and it has helped too.

noel had good advice too (hurts me to say that out loud), although for me the monotony of eating the same thing 5 days a week would make the habit not stick. You could find a few other better for you things like he said and do that during the week, with a little variety. However it sounded like you had a pretty repetitive diet before so it may be fine w/ you to do the chicken thing.

We use our foreman grill so much it's not even funny, those things fucking rule. If you don't have one, you need to get on top of that stat.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Yeah the monotony is a bitch, but I was trying to keep it simple. An excellent recipe book for variety of healthy foods that are easy to make and relatively quick is: Chris Carmichael's Fitness Cookbook. The book is written around a cyclist (or other endurance athlete's) periodization schedule, so there's some information there that you can ignore but there are also lots of recipes that are really, really good.

Also, iced coffee is another drink that can be a soda replacement and doesn't have any calories except whatever sugar/cream you add.

Finally, grab a magazine like Men's Health or something and try reading it cover to cover on a monthly basis. I find that it's a good way to keep yourself in the mindset required to work toward being healthy.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Noel had previously recommended that cookbook to me, and it is indeed awesome!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Mid-section fat has been linked to high-carb diets. Reduce your carb intake to a healthy balance and start exercising.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

That makes a lot of sense. The Voila meals are full of carbs, but they're so good and only take 10 minutes to cook, plus they fill me up for a looooong time.

I can cut out soda (I rarely drink soda) and bratwursts completely. I don't know if ranch is healthier than mayo, but that's what goes on my microwaved, Tyson chicken sandwiches. I could easily cook up a ton of brown rice and reheat it throughout the week, and replace the 3rd sandwich with brown rice. No more beer during the week, check!

Monotony is my middle name.

Also, thanks for the responses, and I'm pushing 30!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Ranch is just as bad as mayo! BBQ Sauce loves you!

Also, doesn't have to be monotonous, my ideas were more of a crash course type approach. Grab yourself some Healthy Choice cans of soup in various flavors and have them with your dinner and lunch. Super cheap, and can be microwaved. Being totally honest, they taste kind of watery, and you'll need at least two to fill you up, but they'll get the job done. When I was in a hardcore weight loss years ago, I'd have a soup and a sandwich every night for dinner. Sandwich was normally turkey or chicken breast on some kind of whole-grain wheat bread with some lettuce/tomatoes and LOW-FAT mayo.

I'm happy to help with anything you need. I have no personal experience with it, but I've heard the Body For Life diet plan is really good.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:I can cut out soda (I rarely drink soda) and bratwursts completely. I don't know if ranch is healthier than mayo, but that's what goes on my microwaved, Tyson chicken sandwiches.
Not meaning to be obnoxious or anything... But they do usually place nutrition labels on the side. You should be able to check and compare the two. You should get in the habit of checking those out anyway on everything you eat when available as there are a lot of things that may seem healthy but once you read the nutrition information you can see they are anything but.

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Flu Diet is unbeatable
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

I moved from putting regular mayo on a sandwich to light mayo on half and mustard on the other half. I didn't like mustard much before, but I'm getting used to it because I hate dry turkey/chicken sandwiches. Tomato's also help, but I also don't make enough sandwiches to realistically buy a tomato and not waste half of it unless I use it for pico de gallo sometimes!

I stopped drinking soda/juices a while ago, I might get a craving once in a while but it's pretty rare and moreso for a caffeine pick me up. Go with the filtered water suggestions, or at least the limiting amounts you can have (re: I just don't buy them for home and I hate paying fucking $2-4 for a soda when out).

Also like Aslanna said (I think), read the labels of everything you buy, I do it now and it's pretty easy to spot things to stay away from. I'm not changing up my diet because of weight gains, it's more because I have "slightly elevated triglycerides" and don't feel like climbing up the family ladder of high cholesterol that my brothers have both achieved. So it also meant more vegetables (I dislike fruits) with meals as well as cutting meat portions smaller. Brown rice (brings much angst form my azn parts) instead of white.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Oh, and the Ramen noodles are something you may not want to eat so much...I would completely avoid unless you have no choice.

Try rice noodles instead. Boil up some water, turn off the burner, cover for 30 minutes or so and you are all set. Then take any type of stir fry, or even a light peanut sauce for a good cheap meal, while not adding a ton of saturated fat that the ramen have.

I am trying to find a good diet for myself, as I will be 35 this year. :)

Some sort of regular workout routine is vital. It does not have to be hardcore...just regular. Our bodies adapt rather quickly to habit.
en kærlighed småkager
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

If you're tired of the same ole mustard/mayo, try using tapenade or pimento (roasted/peeled red peppers) spread. It's generally lower in fat and high in flavor.

One of the habits I've gotten into when I shop is to stay on the perimeter. Most of the processed and packaged foods are in the center aisles. By staying on the outside, you stick to the real food. Also, instead of snacking drink water. Remember that calories are calories regardless if they come from veggies or from a bag of chips.

I turn 35 this year too. Woohoo!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Body-for-Life cookbook is decent. You've just got to eat healthy and quit eating crap. Don't buy bad food in the first place. If it's not in the house, you won't eat it. Precook and pre-arrange stuff so that when you're tired/lazy, you don't have to do much to get something healthy in your stomach. Tupperware is your friend. Don't pour dressing on your salad, instead put it in a separate container and dip your fork into the dressing before picking up some lettuce. Stop justifying unhealthy food/drinks. Yeah, diet Coke is better than regular Coke, but it's still crap - don't buy it.

2 years ago I quit drinking soda and haven't had one since. So far this year I've quit sugary stuff (chocolate, candy, ice cream, etc) and have managed to not having any yet. You just have to decide you want to lose fat.

If you really need inspiration, take pictures of yourself with just a pair of shorts on. Looking in the mirror isn't the same thing, trust me. If you have access to a bike, use it.. otherwise an elliptical.. if neither of those, hit the treadmill. If you do the bike thing, talk to noel - he's a serious f'n expert on the subject. And if you're going to start doing cardio with any seriousness, get a heart rate monitor. They help, a lot.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Grow old, gain weight, be happy.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I think you can eat a much healthier diet which will be tasty and fill you up with very little work. You don't even have to cook.

Suggestion 1: Buy some bananas. Cut one of them into your cereal every morning. Hooray nutrients and multiple food groups!

Suggestion 2: Buy a loaf of whole wheat bread, a head of non-iceberg lettuce, some sprouts, and some lunch meat (turkey's ideal) and add sandwiches to your lunchtime rotation.

Suggestion 3: If you're willing to cook just a little bit, you can go to the frozen vegetable section of the grocery store and buy preorganized bags of veggie stir fries, usually with a teriyaki sauce or something like that. You can cook them up in a skillet with a sliced chicken breast and get a fairly tasty and filling meal (especially if you use some of your brown rice). Healthier if you use less of the sauce they give you, but still not bad.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

I eat the same crap you do, almost to a tee, And I do smoke, often on my bike, people always look at me funny though.

But I'm HaWt! Chix dig me, because excersize is your friend.
Sick Balls!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Oh man, I used to be in ridiculously good shape when all I had was a mountain bike to get around campus (and everywhere else) for a few years. That was during the dark years when I owned a piece of shit Mac so was forced to find alternative entertainment. Now, my only exercise is power walking around Fry's Electronics store at lunch. I'm still not fat but that's due to a speedy metabolism.

Since high school/college I've gained about 15 pounds, going from 185 to 200. All reasonable for 6'2". my waste has gone from 32 to 36. :!: Chalk it up to age and changing lifestyle which involves a lot of sitting in chairs instead of walking around bar hopping.

People heading into their mid 30's and beyond have two things working against them instead of one in the past with the shift in social lifestyle which centers around multimedia and less on social gatherings. On the positive side, more people are aware of health issues and eat a little better.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Winnow wrote:People heading into their mid 30's and beyond have two things working against them instead of one in the past with the shift in social lifestyle which centers around multimedia and less on social gatherings.
I really don't think that this is a universal...
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I wore a size 32 waist and weighed less than 120 when I graduated. I'm at a 36 inch waste now and clocking in at around 180 at 5ft 10. I was underweight for a long time. I could stand to lose around 20ish lbs to get down to my fighting weight, but I don't really care because I still look fantastic. Well, at least that's what your faggot of a father tells me.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sueven wrote:I think you can eat a much healthier diet which will be tasty and fill you up with very little work. You don't even have to cook.

Suggestion 1: Buy some bananas. Cut one of them into your cereal every morning. Hooray nutrients and multiple food groups!

Suggestion 2: Buy a loaf of whole wheat bread, a head of non-iceberg lettuce, some sprouts, and some lunch meat (turkey's ideal) and add sandwiches to your lunchtime rotation.

Suggestion 3: If you're willing to cook just a little bit, you can go to the frozen vegetable section of the grocery store and buy preorganized bags of veggie stir fries, usually with a teriyaki sauce or something like that. You can cook them up in a skillet with a sliced chicken breast and get a fairly tasty and filling meal (especially if you use some of your brown rice). Healthier if you use less of the sauce they give you, but still not bad.
I just wanted to say that a banana cut up in cheerios is one of the best things ever.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Sueven wrote:I think you can eat a much healthier diet which will be tasty and fill you up with very little work. You don't even have to cook.

I just wanted to say that a banana cut up in cheerios is one of the best things ever.
unless you're allergic to bananas like I am
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:
Winnow wrote:People heading into their mid 30's and beyond have two things working against them instead of one in the past with the shift in social lifestyle which centers around multimedia and less on social gatherings.
I really don't think that this is a universal...
In the United States it is near universal with, of course, you as an exception.

I dug out some recent Costco receipts. I like bulk shopping there. Here's some stuff I bought (not counting the massive quantities of toilet paper and other non edible items)

Box of mini Chicken Qusadillas (60 seconds in the microwave and you have a great snack)
24 pack 16oz bottle Lipton Green Tea
Box of Chicken Bake Wraps
Box of 70 Nestle Cocoa Mix Packets
Box of Instant Oatmeal
Box of Breakfast Croissants (similar to Egg McMuffins I guess)
Box of Chicken Pot Pies
Box of Pizza Pockets
3 Pound Bag of Iceberg Salad (with carrots and red cabbage)
Box of Microwavable Baked Potato thingies
Box of Pop Tarts (won't buy them again)
Huge Box of Waffles
MacNCheese packets (lost my mind on that one. They'll be in my closet forever. I'll eat them in 2012 during the "event")
Case of 20oz Propel Invigorating Water (water with vitamins and some caffeine in it)
Case of 20oz Vitamin Water (more flavored water with stuff in it)
Big Bag of Mixed Veggies (Corn, Carrots, Green Beans)
Big Bag of Mixed Berries (Blueberries, Raspberries and Marionberries)
Box of Bean and Cheese Burritos
Case of Chicken Chili
Big box of Frosted Mini Wheats
Case of New England Clam Chowder (another item that may last until the apocalypse)
Case of Canned Mandarin Orange Slices (best snack ever)
Case of Orville Pop Microwave Popcorn

So far so good. I also buy paper bowels/plates in bulk so I don't have to wash many dishes. I haven't degenerated to plastic utensils yet. Everything is microwavable in less than 2-3 minutes for instant gratification.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I wore a size 32 waist and weighed less than 120 when I graduated. I'm at a 36 inch waste now and clocking in at around 180 at 5ft 10. I was underweight for a long time. I could stand to lose around 20ish lbs to get down to my fighting weight, but I don't really care because I still look fantastic. Well, at least that's what your faggot of a father tells me.
Some of us aren't satisfied with that, and will never be. Way to contribute though... or something.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

unless you're allergic to bananas like I am
If I have been wrong this whole time and there is a god, he hates you for some reason :( I'm sorry.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

Siji wrote:And if you're going to start doing cardio with any seriousness, get a heart rate monitor. They help, a lot.
Can you recommend one, or a brand, or a type? My mom had a quadruple bypass, and she's wanting to start exercising again. I want her to use one of these, and I'm not sure what to buy her.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Polar is by far the best name in personal HRMs. There are some that are less expensive, but Polar is the best. The challenge is just finding which one you want to use. I've been using them for over 10 years now, and I've always had whatever their high end model is at the time. There are lots of features above and beyond just monitoring your heart, and some of them are just HRMs while some are fully functional watches etc.

Polar also offers what's called a 'Wearlink' chest strap which is a fabric material instead of the traditional plastic chest strap. It's much more comfortable to wear than the plastic (not that the plastic is that bad). I believe they also sell a sports bra that's designed to insert the chest strap in and be comfortable for women.

An alternative that I'd recommend is the one my wife uses, the Nike Triax. It's a relatively fashionable and I've seen it at Costco more than a few times though I can't remember the price.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to help you with terminology, etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I didn't like the big watch type ones so I went with the Garmin Edge 305. However it's made more for cycling than running and such but if one likes the watches they have the Forerunner line. I haven't had any problems with it and it does all I have needed so far. Whichever one you decide on make sure to research them. I spent a lot of time making my decision. It seemed like with anything else you get what you pay for so most of the cheap ones I saw weren't very well rated/reviewed.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

noel wrote:Some of us aren't satisfied with that, and will never be.
I'm far from unhealthy, I just don't think about carbs, heart rates, and how fast I can run the 100 meter dash all the time. I think the mentality you project with that statement is unhealthy. Health nuts are as weird and freaky as fatties. Both represent ends of the extreme.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Syenye wrote:Can you recommend one, or a brand, or a type? My mom had a quadruple bypass, and she's wanting to start exercising again. I want her to use one of these, and I'm not sure what to buy her.
Polar has a couple specifically aimed people in that situation. Take a look at their website.

http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/cardiorehab/hrm.asp

Really happy with mine, wouldn't call myself a health nut. It allows me to be much more consistant and efficient from week to week, which makes exercise easier overall. I exercies less now than I did before, and am in better shape.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"Health nuts" are fine as far as that goes. It's the "No Carbs" people that annoy me.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:"Health nuts" are fine as far as that goes. It's the "No Carbs" people that annoy me.
I know someone who switches to the latest "diet of the week" on a whim. Ever heard of those really fucked up diets? She's been on them. She even ordered that diet where they send you the meals in the mail. That lasted a whole month I believe. Fuckin nuts I tell ya.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Day 1 of the brown rice chicken sandwiches with ranch beer diet has begun! Just waiting for the rice to cook!

This is my kind of diet!