valentine's day

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

valentine's day

contrived and trite
82%
romantic and fun
18%

Total votes: 61

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

valentine's day

Post by Leonaerd »

Valentine's Day has its ups and downs. On one hand, it's nice to be given a platform to give her good treatment, because then she's anticipating what's going to happen next, and overall, there's a great chance to make her feel like a princess for a day. Most of the non-crazy chicks will appreciate what you're doing, rather than expect it and in doing so water down the effort that went in.

On the other hand, I'm single and my ex girlfriend is seeing some new dude so I'll probably just be playing the guitar all night until I go on a date with some ex-fling that I'm not interested in. Afterwards I'll head to the bar with the goal of making out with some random slut to take my mind off of some 5'5" prindick getting up on my woman.

Not typically my favorite time of year.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: valentine's day

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It's as fun/serious as you make it. I hate to sound like a cliche faggot, but I try to make everyday Valentine's Day for my wife. That said, it's only a holiday for consumer whores if you go out and buy all the shit they're trying to sell you. I made my wife a card and plan on giving her things you simply cannot buy, like a weekend of couch time :P

I've always liked the day based purely on the opportunities it gave me back in my single days. Afterall, a single Valentine's Day date was equal to about 5 regular dates!
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Had girlfriends on the day, been single on the day, and I much prefer the single.

Who needs VD, anyway?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kaldaur wrote:Had girlfriends on the day, been single on the day, and I much prefer the single.

Who needs VD, anyway?
:lol:

I will do the usual, buy my girlfriend flowers, get a card, write a poem if I get the chance (go ahead and laugh), and probably make a nice dinner. Then we will watch a movie, or possibly go to see the new movie with Kate Hudsen that she wants to see. Nothing too crazy :)
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

I have nice dinner reservations and flowers waiting to be delivered to her work place. Pretty standard, I know, but we both have to work that day so setting up anything spectacular is pretty hard. I considered having the flowers brought to the restaurant and having them brought to her during dinner, but I wasn't sure if it would just cause an already busy restaurant more hassle.

As for expensive gifts / diamonds / etc, I didn't go that route. I'd rather surprise her with something on a random day rather than valentines.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the day.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

"Special" days that should be dropped:

Valentines Day
Fathers Day
Mothers Day
Boss Day
Secretary Day

Anniversaries should also not be celebrated
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

Funkmasterr wrote: I will do the usual, buy my girlfriend flowers, get a card, write a poem if I get the chance (go ahead and laugh), and probably make a nice dinner. Then we will watch a movie, or possibly go to see the new movie with Kate Hudsen that she wants to see. Nothing too crazy :)
God you really must love her... going to a chick flick on Valentines Day has got to be one of the special levels in hell.

Animale
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Animale wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote: I will do the usual, buy my girlfriend flowers, get a card, write a poem if I get the chance (go ahead and laugh), and probably make a nice dinner. Then we will watch a movie, or possibly go to see the new movie with Kate Hudsen that she wants to see. Nothing too crazy :)
God you really must love her... going to a chick flick on Valentines Day has got to be one of the special levels in hell.

Animale
It's not bad if you consider the rewards.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Some years we're not into it. This year we plan on having a fun time. Eric is taking me and a female friend of ours out for dinner and drinking. Maybe we'll hit something up afterwards, maybe not. I know at some point flowers and crazy sex will be involved, but not sure in what order lol :P
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Kaldaur wrote:Had girlfriends on the day, been single on the day, and I much prefer the single.

Who needs VD, anyway?

I will do the usual, buy my girlfriend flowers, get a card, write a poem if I get the chance (go ahead and laugh)
I can see it now.

Roses be red, violets be blue
Bitch, you be so fine, I'm a bust a nut in you.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Lalanae wrote:Some years we're not into it. This year we plan on having a fun time. Eric is taking me and a female friend of ours out for dinner and drinking. Maybe we'll hit something up afterwards, maybe not. I know at some point flowers and crazy sex will be involved, but not sure in what order lol :P
Ménage à trois?! :vv_love: :shock: :vv_drool: :vv_love:
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Zaelath wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

Who needs VD, anyway?

I will do the usual, buy my girlfriend flowers, get a card, write a poem if I get the chance (go ahead and laugh)
I can see it now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: \:D/
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zaelath wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

Who needs VD, anyway?

I can see it now.

Lol dick. :lol: I actually used to write a lot of poetry that I thought was at least decent, but haven't much lately. I also used to write some short stories and got a good response from them too, I just haven't been doing much writing lately, guess I need to get back into it :)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

valentines day are for making the sure to pull out just in time :)
en kærlighed småkager
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i choo choo choooose contrived and trite
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

valentine's day always makes me think of junior high... whoever got the best jewelry from the guy they made out with after cheerleading practice wins.

i bought my husband an expensive bottle of scotch and not really expecting anything in return. i got lost odyssey last night, so that's what i'll be doing tonight.
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

My favorite poem, and one of the only, that I wrote was:

My love for you is like the derivative of E^x. Always natural and always constant.

Or something like that...
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ended up making a chicken enchilada recipe I found on the food network site for dinner, it was very very good!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Fairweather Pure wrote:like a weekend of couch time
How is you spending the weekend on the couch watching bowling romantic?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Siji wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:like a weekend of couch time
How is you spending the weekend on the couch watching bowling romantic?
What if he actually gets up to get his own beer?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Here in SD, a local radio show started 'Steak and Knobber' day, for us guys to counter Valentines day. It's actually taking hold. :D
Sick Balls!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Noysyrump wrote:Here in SD, a local radio show started 'Steak and Knobber' day, for us guys to counter Valentines day. It's actually taking hold. :D
It has been a national "campaign" that gets publicity through the smaller local shows each year.
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Sargeras wrote:
Lalanae wrote:Some years we're not into it. This year we plan on having a fun time. Eric is taking me and a female friend of ours out for dinner and drinking. Maybe we'll hit something up afterwards, maybe not. I know at some point flowers and crazy sex will be involved, but not sure in what order lol :P
Ménage à trois?! :vv_love: :shock: :vv_drool: :vv_love:
No :P, she's single and we didn't want her to be alone, but she ended up making other plans anyway. We did end up at a sex club though ><
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Lalanae wrote:We did end up at a sex club though
Hope you avoided the senior citizen section!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Is Lala in the "Lifestyle"?
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

I remember going to a 'Lifestyle' club for the first time.. we walked up these spooky stairs (the club was above a strip club of all things), talked to the woman behind the window, paid our fee and then she buzzed the door to let us in.. as soon as you walk into the place every head turns to see the fresh meat walking through the door. After becoming somewhat of regulars it was funny talking about it - but for newcomers it was fairly freaky.

It might have been on Valentines day!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

We actually had so much fun that we paid for the year membership on our way out. So freaky, yeah, but in a good way :P

Edit: and technially we've been to "Lifestyle" clubs before, but this was the first club we've been to that caters to on-premise sex
Lalanae
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Enjoy while you can.. they've been shutting on-prem clubs down left and right for awhile. Was a thing on the news about it the other day actually.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I heard about the guy in Dallas who was operating a sex club out of his house and got shut down because it was (understandably) upsetting his neighbors and violated some laws about operating a business out of a home. I haven't heard anything about other legitimately-operated businesses. Eric tends to keep up with these things a bit more than me though.

I know the 2 main on premise clubs here have been in operation awhile now, but I did hear of one of them being shut down a couple years ago. They ended up reopening (under the same name) a year later or so. I guess it depends on whether the local authorities feel like messing with it and seeing that our police dept is stretched thin already, I'm not worried about them disappearing totally. :P
Lalanae
iandaina
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by iandaina »

Sargeras wrote:Ménage à trois?! :vv_love: :shock: :vv_drool: :vv_love:
Sure, me you and ????
Insert witty line here~
Lynxe
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynxe »

I used to subscribe to the Winnow philosophy on Valentines, Mother Day, Father's Day and Anniversaries but the kids love the build up to the next "Special Day". My son and I spent a few nights creating valentines for his pre-school friends. He was very thoughtful about who got what and put a ton of work into them (he is 3). We got a bouquet of roses and individually wrapped each rose with a valentine he made. He hand delivered them to the teachers, grandparents, ladies in the office and even the cook at daycare (who was really touched :) ).

Also, when you have multiple young children, you don't have the luxury of time to make everyday Valentines or the energy to receive it. It is so easy to let "time together" slide that reminders never hurt. My husband and I traditionally pre-plan a meal that we cook together then enjoy cuddled on the sofa under a blanket with a movie. There are other times we might do the same thing but we try to make a point to do it on Valentine's Day. Until the kids are a little more self-sufficient, it is what it is!
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have