Introvert or Extrovert?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Are you an introvert or extrovert?

Introverted
65%
Extroverted
35%

Total votes: 57

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Introvert or Extrovert?

Post by Winnow »

These polls are lame but I'll throw one out anyway!

If you're an introvert (like me!), here's a good article to send along to people that bother you (extroverts):
Caring for Your Introvert

The habits and needs of a little-understood group

by Jonathan Rauch

Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?

If so, do you tell this person he is "too serious," or ask if he is okay? Regard him as aloof, arrogant, rude? Redouble your efforts to draw him out?

If you answered yes to these questions, chances are that you have an introvert on your hands—and that you aren't caring for him properly. Science has learned a good deal in recent years about the habits and requirements of introverts. It has even learned, by means of brain scans, that introverts process information differently from other people (I am not making this up). If you are behind the curve on this important matter, be reassured that you are not alone. Introverts may be common, but they are also among the most misunderstood and aggrieved groups in America, possibly the world.

I know. My name is Jonathan, and I am an introvert.

Oh, for years I denied it. After all, I have good social skills. I am not morose or misanthropic. Usually. I am far from shy. I love long conversations that explore intimate thoughts or passionate interests. But at last I have self-identified and come out to my friends and colleagues. In doing so, I have found myself liberated from any number of damaging misconceptions and stereotypes. Now I am here to tell you what you need to know in order to respond sensitively and supportively to your own introverted family members, friends, and colleagues. Remember, someone you know, respect, and interact with every day is an introvert, and you are probably driving this person nuts. It pays to learn the warning signs.

What is introversion? In its modern sense, the concept goes back to the 1920s and the psychologist Carl Jung. Today it is a mainstay of personality tests, including the widely used Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Introverts are not necessarily shy. Shy people are anxious or frightened or self-excoriating in social settings; introverts generally are not. Introverts are also not misanthropic, though some of us do go along with Sartre as far as to say "Hell is other people at breakfast." Rather, introverts are people who find other people tiring.

Extroverts are energized by people, and wilt or fade when alone. They often seem bored by themselves, in both senses of the expression. Leave an extrovert alone for two minutes and he will reach for his cell phone. In contrast, after an hour or two of being socially "on," we introverts need to turn off and recharge. My own formula is roughly two hours alone for every hour of socializing. This isn't antisocial. It isn't a sign of depression. It does not call for medication. For introverts, to be alone with our thoughts is as restorative as sleeping, as nourishing as eating. Our motto: "I'm okay, you're okay—in small doses."

How many people are introverts? I performed exhaustive research on this question, in the form of a quick Google search. The answer: About 25 percent. Or: Just under half. Or—my favorite—"a minority in the regular population but a majority in the gifted population."

Are introverts misunderstood? Wildly. That, it appears, is our lot in life. "It is very difficult for an extrovert to understand an introvert," write the education experts Jill D. Burruss and Lisa Kaenzig. (They are also the source of the quotation in the previous paragraph.) Extroverts are easy for introverts to understand, because extroverts spend so much of their time working out who they are in voluble, and frequently inescapable, interaction with other people. They are as inscrutable as puppy dogs. But the street does not run both ways. Extroverts have little or no grasp of introversion. They assume that company, especially their own, is always welcome. They cannot imagine why someone would need to be alone; indeed, they often take umbrage at the suggestion. As often as I have tried to explain the matter to extroverts, I have never sensed that any of them really understood. They listen for a moment and then go back to barking and yipping.

Are introverts oppressed? I would have to say so. For one thing, extroverts are overrepresented in politics, a profession in which only the garrulous are really comfortable. Look at George W. Bush. Look at Bill Clinton. They seem to come fully to life only around other people. To think of the few introverts who did rise to the top in politics—Calvin Coolidge, Richard Nixon—is merely to drive home the point. With the possible exception of Ronald Reagan, whose fabled aloofness and privateness were probably signs of a deep introverted streak (many actors, I've read, are introverts, and many introverts, when socializing, feel like actors), introverts are not considered "naturals" in politics.

Extroverts therefore dominate public life. This is a pity. If we introverts ran the world, it would no doubt be a calmer, saner, more peaceful sort of place. As Coolidge is supposed to have said, "Don't you know that four fifths of all our troubles in this life would disappear if we would just sit down and keep still?" (He is also supposed to have said, "If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it." The only thing a true introvert dislikes more than talking about himself is repeating himself.)

With their endless appetite for talk and attention, extroverts also dominate social life, so they tend to set expectations. In our extrovertist society, being outgoing is considered normal and therefore desirable, a mark of happiness, confidence, leadership. Extroverts are seen as bighearted, vibrant, warm, empathic. "People person" is a compliment. Introverts are described with words like "guarded," "loner," "reserved," "taciturn," "self-contained," "private"—narrow, ungenerous words, words that suggest emotional parsimony and smallness of personality. Female introverts, I suspect, must suffer especially. In certain circles, particularly in the Midwest, a man can still sometimes get away with being what they used to call a strong and silent type; introverted women, lacking that alternative, are even more likely than men to be perceived as timid, withdrawn, haughty.

Are introverts arrogant? Hardly. I suppose this common misconception has to do with our being more intelligent, more reflective, more independent, more level-headed, more refined, and more sensitive than extroverts. Also, it is probably due to our lack of small talk, a lack that extroverts often mistake for disdain. We tend to think before talking, whereas extroverts tend to think by talking, which is why their meetings never last less than six hours. "Introverts," writes a perceptive fellow named Thomas P. Crouser, in an online review of a recent book called Why Should Extroverts Make All the Money? (I'm not making that up, either), "are driven to distraction by the semi-internal dialogue extroverts tend to conduct. Introverts don't outwardly complain, instead roll their eyes and silently curse the darkness." Just so.

The worst of it is that extroverts have no idea of the torment they put us through. Sometimes, as we gasp for air amid the fog of their 98-percent-content-free talk, we wonder if extroverts even bother to listen to themselves. Still, we endure stoically, because the etiquette books—written, no doubt, by extroverts—regard declining to banter as rude and gaps in conversation as awkward. We can only dream that someday, when our condition is more widely understood, when perhaps an Introverts' Rights movement has blossomed and borne fruit, it will not be impolite to say "I'm an introvert. You are a wonderful person and I like you. But now please shush."

How can I let the introvert in my life know that I support him and respect his choice? First, recognize that it's not a choice. It's not a lifestyle. It's an orientation.

Second, when you see an introvert lost in thought, don't say "What's the matter?" or "Are you all right?"

Third, don't say anything else, either.
That last part in large text is the best advice ever. I can't stand someone asking me if everything's OK just because I'm not talking. Shut up and give me some space! Everything's fine! *Deep in thought alert!* Go to the mall or something and come back later!

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it's fucking annoying when someone pesters you simply because you're quiet or haven't called in awhile. Send an email! "Less is more" sometimes!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Introvert or Extrovert?

Post by Aabidano »

Extroverts have little or no grasp of introversion. They assume that company, especially their own, is always welcome. They cannot imagine why someone would need to be alone; indeed, they often take umbrage at the suggestion.
That part's very familiar.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I'm both. So I didn't vote.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Winnow wrote:
That last part in large text is the best advice ever. I can't stand someone asking me if everything's OK just because I'm not talking. Shut up and give me some space! Everything's fine! *Deep in thought alert!* Go to the mall or something and come back later!

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it's fucking annoying when someone pesters you simply because you're quiet or haven't called in awhile. Send an email! "Less is more" sometimes!
God I totally agree. I can't tell you how many times I've been accused of "being in a bad mood" because I respond snippily at stupid questions like "ARE YOU OK?" I want to say "I was great until your dumb ass came along!"
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Until pervert is a choice, this poll is invalid.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

All most introverts need is the occasional dose of alcohol and mdma.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

I'm an Attention-hoe.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

And, on the other side of the coin, you introverts could not be assholes about it! As annoying as it is for someone to bother you when you need your alone time, think about when you're being quiet in a social situation and how that brings the extroverts around you down. I'm not saying you need to change, or that anyone is capable of change, just understand that you aren't being bothered because an extrovert is trying to bother you, it's just the way both of your brains are wired differently.

This article is ridiculous. Not that his descriptions of being an introvert are incorrect, its in his generalizations and apparent persecution complex. He says things like "[introverts are] a majority in the gifted population", "Are introverts misunderstood? Wildly", "Extroverts are easy for introverts to understand" and so on. He talks about how introverts are wired differently, and doesn't seem to consider that extroverts are wired a certain way too. Just as introverts can have social skills - *gasp* that's a huge shocker :roll: - not all extroverts have "98-percent-content-free talk" or "reach for [their] cell phone" after being alone for 2 minutes.

I took a number of psych classes in college, I've Myers-Briggs classes through work (I'm ENTP, fyi) and I feel like I've learned a lot about the different types of people. It's been helpful in facilitating communication and understanding that people work in different ways. But it's not in two ways, it's in a myriad of different ways. There are all kinds of different introverts and all kinds of different extroverts, and the main difference between the two over-generalized groups (in my opinion, since neither myself nor Mr. Rauch seem actually qualified to speak on the matter short of having a keyboard and google) is exactly what he pointed out: introverts get "recharged" via alone time, extroverts get "recharged" via social interaction. Beyond that, this article is worthless.

If you want some good advice on getting extroverts to stop bothering you, try not to assume they're mind readers. According to this article, it's really easy to tell the extroverts because we're always running around blabbing about nothing and talking on our cell phones. You don't have to do a lot of work to figure it out, plus you also know exactly how to understand us. On the flip side, using his numbers, the majority of people are extroverts, so when we see someone (who we don't know is an introvert) lost in thought, smart money is to assume that said person is an extrovert. Trying to engage someone (who is most likely an extrovert since 75% of people are) in conversation is the compassionate thing to do (for 75% of people), so we're really being nice. If you turn out to be an introvert and someone says "what's the matter" or "are you all right", rather than internalizing annoyance and growling, grunting, scowling or wincing, why not try a one-sentence response that will communicate that you're not the type who likes to talk about things or you need some alone time or you're an introvert and just want to recharge or any of a thousand responses other than "nothing" or "I'm fine"? It'll work a lot better than sitting there quietly, getting pissed off and reflecting on this article about how gifted and misunderstood you are, how you're great at presentations and how you only speak when you have profoundly insightful things to say. "Nothing" and "I'm fine" are things that extroverts say when they really are bothered by something, so those kinds of response are far more likely to get an extrovert to continue prodding at you.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I am the life of the party and a constant source of amusement to everyone around me. Go Go Extrovert!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Good points, Sylvus... I consider myself an introvert, and I don't like the tone he took with it. Like many things, it's not black and white... In this case, I'm gray as hell.

I am jealous of my friends who are extroverts. My friend Paul can walk into any social situation and treat everyone like he's known them for years, engage complete strangers in intricate conversations, and basically turn on almost any woman with his personality alone. (it's not his looks doing it, that's for sure!) My friend Val is a personality whore. She's my business partner, mostly because she could go for a walk around the block and come back with something for us to quote on.

In contrast, I generally prefer to speak when spoken to. How I differ from the article is that when someone engages me in a conversation, I come right out of my shell. Once the ice has been broken, I do alright, but I'm not a crazy outgoing dance machine like Paul. I do try and start the small talk occasionally, but I can't say the results have been good, as my execution is terrible.

Some situations will confuse me to the point of inaction... I was in a bar recently with some friends, and a cute blond who was surrounded by guys called me by name and waved me to come over... I walked over and sheepishly admitted I was drawing a blank as to who she was, and she told me she was a year ahead of me in high school and recognized me immediately. Once she gave me her name, I knew who she was (we never talked before, ever), but my mind was in an infinite loop trying to identify the situation. I was wondering why she called me over, whether any of these dudes were her boyfriend, and whether she was interested in me... but I couldn't bring myself to ask any of this. I basically made small talk for 2 minutes, said it was nice seeing her, and left.

I'm not proud to be an introvert and I don't think it makes someone better than anyone else... It is just the way I'm wired, and it is a source of situational depression for me.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I used to be hardcore introvert back in grade school and a couple years of high school. I was brought up heavily into the Lutheran faith and even attended a Lutheran K-8 school. I knew very few people around that time (I was generally ADHD and extremely annoying) and played MMOs all the time.

Then I embraced my atheism, realized other people are not necessarily bad for not believing in jesus H spaghetti, and came out of my shell in a few months. During that time I quit EQ cold turkey and started meeting *gasp* females. I haven't turned back since.

While I still enjoy time on my own and a chance to do my own thing (lately I've played Battlefield 2142 a lot during free time), I've been partying a ton (probably too much) and hanging out with friends all the time. Do I feel anxious when I'm not hanging out with people? No. I have guitar, video games, homework, and all sorts of books to read.

I don't think a poll based around two man-made words should be so black-and-white in its options. I picked extrovert but felt dirty about it.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

<----Introvert

So much to the point that I have been visiting these boards several times a day for the past 5 years and am just now closing in on 1k posts.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Lol touche. And Winnow says he's an introvert. Bollocks!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote:And, on the other side of the coin, you introverts could not be assholes about it! As annoying as it is for someone to bother you when you need your alone time, think about when you're being quiet in a social situation and how that brings the extroverts around you down. I'm not saying you need to change, or that anyone is capable of change, just understand that you aren't being bothered because an extrovert is trying to bother you, it's just the way both of your brains are wired differently.

This article is ridiculous. Not that his descriptions of being an introvert are incorrect, its in his generalizations and apparent persecution complex.
I agree that the article is poorly written and the talk about "not caring for him properly" makes it sound like Introverts need to be babied.

His analysis is off but basic description is accurate and actually opened my eyes a bit. While I'm an introvert and need shitloads of "alone time", I have friends that are also introverted and just because I am one, it didn't prevent me from doing the same thing to them at times. (bothering them when there was no need).
Leonaerd wrote:Lol touche. And Winnow says he's an introvert. Bollocks!
Being introverted doesn't mean you lack social skills. I think I'm fine in that department and am never one to not speak up or socialize (when I feel like it). I just can't have friends that need to do things on a regular basis as I may vanish for weeks or months at a time without contact.

Message boards and email are an excellent way to communicate with someone that's introverted. Even now, while I post like mad on this forum, I wouldn't want to talk to any of you in person all the time, or even over the phone on a regular basis, but I'd like to sit down and have a drink with most of you every so often. My friends are those that can pick up where we left off, after weeks or months of no contact. There's also an age progression involved with that though as in high school and college, I'd go out every night with friends.

The best thing you can get out of this article is that nothing is wrong just because someone is quiet. The time table for social activity can't be regulated for some people. Just because something is planned in advance, doesn't mean a person feels like being social at that time (that's where getting looped helps!) As Sylvus mentioned, that doesn't give a person the right to be an ass. Some basic communication is key to help both sides and then finding a polite way to tell the person you're not in a "social" mood.

high social maintenance = bad!
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

All Swedes are introvert. Great success!
cweeedit cwuunch
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

I'm an introvert... Sylvos is an extrovert - HE DOESNT UNDERSTAND ME AT ALL SOMETIMES! =(
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

Sirensa wrote:I'm an introvert... Sylvos is an extrovert - HE DOESNT UNDERSTAND ME AT ALL SOMETIMES! =(
:lol:

I'm a little of each.

PS: PM me your address Sirensa. And thank you both for the hospitality!
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
Diae Soulmender
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Diae Soulmender »

Morgrym wrote:<----Introvert

So much to the point that I have been visiting these boards several times a day for the past 5 years and am just now closing in on 1k posts.
Introvert, I win :)
Khrashdin 80 Protection Paladin
Vox Immortalis - Hyjal-US
#1 World Ranked 10man Strict Achievement Guild
#3 World Ranked 10man Strict Progression Guild
http://www.guildox.com The Premier Guild Ranking Site
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Extrovert

EDIT: Since we're going all Myers-Briggs - I'm ESTP
Last edited by Ashur on September 16, 2007, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Kilrain
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kilrain »

If you want some good advice on getting extroverts to stop bothering you, try not to assume they're mind readers.
Bingo.

I don't know why introverts feel so uncomfortable mumbling a quick statement to say "Things are good, I just need a little time alone." It would solve a mountain of issues, especially if you're in a relationship where one party is an introvert and one an extrovert. The whole mind-reading thing is very annoying. And if you don't ask what's wrong, and that one time something is actually wrong, but you figure you'll respect their introvert space, it backfires, and you get the "You don't care that I'm upset" routine. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

/endless boggle
Kilrain
Veeshan
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I do know that Introverts seem to love books about why being an Introvert is OK.
- Ash
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I'm totally ENFP.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Kilrain wrote:
If you want some good advice on getting extroverts to stop bothering you, try not to assume they're mind readers.
Bingo.

I don't know why introverts feel so uncomfortable mumbling a quick statement to say "Things are good, I just need a little time alone." It would solve a mountain of issues, especially if you're in a relationship where one party is an introvert and one an extrovert. The whole mind-reading thing is very annoying. And if you don't ask what's wrong, and that one time something is actually wrong, but you figure you'll respect their introvert space, it backfires, and you get the "You don't care that I'm upset" routine. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

/endless boggle
Perosnally, if I'm bothered about something, I'll bring it up to relevant parties or keep it quiet. I don't want Office_Joe_5467 prodding me about it. I personally find the "Are you OK?" routine a little rude, invasive. Extroverts apparently want everyone to know whats going on with them so think that everyone else feels that way.

And Sylvus you are so not an extrovert :P I've met you! You belong with us!
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

These lines are too black and white.

I go from being horrifically shy and introverted, and wanting to be alone, to being a disgusting extrovert who probably really needs a dig in the head. It depends on whats happening in my life at any given time, who I'm with, what I'm doing, a load of factors.

I'm about half and half, when I'm introverted I am a complete pain in the ass to be around, and when I'm extroverted, well, probably still a complete pain in the ass, but for different reasons.

Maybe I'm bi polar. I'm away to have a think/cry/laugh.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

I'm introverted but can become an extrovert with the right combination of mind altering substances, or if I'm in the right mood. Alcohol always does it too.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Anyone who says they are sometimes extroverts, are introverts. That's what an introvert is for the most part. (chooses when to be an extrovert instead of being a non stop babble machine no matter when someone wants to talk or contact you.)
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Haha, ok yeah I guess I am. I do like my alone time or time with just me and my fiancee, but its fun to go out and go crazy sometimes too.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Winnow wrote:Anyone who says they are sometimes extroverts, are introverts. That's what an introvert is for the most part. (chooses when to be an extrovert instead of being a non stop babble machine no matter when someone wants to talk or contact you.)
agreed. I can be extroverted when either (a) intoxicated (b) during business meetings or (c) trying to get into someone pants. And no, I've never been in all three situations at once :P
Lalanae
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:Haha, ok yeah I guess I am. I do like my alone time or time with just me and my fiancee, but its fun to go out and go crazy sometimes too.

o rry
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Lalanae wrote:
Winnow wrote:Anyone who says they are sometimes extroverts, are introverts. That's what an introvert is for the most part. (chooses when to be an extrovert instead of being a non stop babble machine no matter when someone wants to talk or contact you.)
agreed. I can be extroverted when either (a) intoxicated (b) during business meetings or (c) trying to get into someone pants. And no, I've never been in all three situations at once :P
But any combination of two of them, right? Right? Hehhhhh?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Lalanae wrote:

If a Christmas Party counts as a business meeting...