Board Upgrades

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Board Upgrades

Post by Spang »

Boogahz wrote:Couple new things I noticed, and maybe they are "features" rather than "bugs:"
Links now open in the same window rather than a new window/tab (I didn't notice this one earlier today, just within the last hour or so in IE7)
Hold down [Ctrl] when you click the link. It will open the link in a new tab.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, I am aware of that shortcut. I only pointed it out because links were automatically opening in a new window before.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Is anyone else having a problem where if they open a link (without opening it in another window) and then press the back button that the thread goes to the last page regardless of which post you were on?
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

I miss teh lottery!!!
WTF
No Stars!

Post by WTF »

Defect: NEW BOARD DOES NOT ACCEPT MY ë

I DEMAND FULL ROLLBACK UNTIL CRITICAL FUNCTIONALITY IS RESTORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok maybe nto that, just add the stupid euro character conversion dipshit detector patch or something
Thx

Voronw<<A!#@!~~~
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That;'s what you get for not chooing a normal name. Damn Elves.

Your name shows up as Voronwë in the members list. Try that!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

How about making NWS and Retards sub forums of general discussion?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

How about creating a Touchy-Inner Feelings-Self Help Forum. Restrict Cart from going to it and then let the rest of the forum operate normally?

Poll?
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Winnow wrote:How about creating a Touchy-Inner Feelings-Self Help Forum. Restrict Cart from going to it and then let the rest of the forum operate normally?

Poll?
Frankly, I'd prefer that they create a "Whiny Cunt Jamboree" forum for you, and then restrict your posting privileges to that forum only.

Jesus shit-eating Christ let it go already, you fucking twat.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:
Winnow wrote:How about creating a Touchy-Inner Feelings-Self Help Forum. Restrict Cart from going to it and then let the rest of the forum operate normally?

Poll?
Frankly, I'd prefer that they create a "Whiny Cunt Jamboree" forum for you, and then restrict your posting privileges to that forum only.

Jesus shit-eating Christ let it go already, you fucking twat.
Nice flame! I still like your Linux response the best. I wish more people would flame instead of PM Ops asking for bans when they have an issue with a poster.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The larger edit box for posting messages which scales is a huge help in editing URLs to switch them to friendly format. Before the upgrade, you had to scroll back and forth to get to the end of a long URL. Nice!
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Any way to get it to mark posts as read if you leave the site? I don't read every thread and since the upgrades, i never see a post marked as read unless i go into it. Not a big deal, but always helped me keep up with new posts and active threads that i wanted to follow.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Neost wrote:Any way to get it to mark posts as read if you leave the site? I don't read every thread and since the upgrades, i never see a post marked as read unless i go into it. Not a big deal, but always helped me keep up with new posts and active threads that i wanted to follow.
In each forum, and on the main board index, there is a line that says 'Mark forum(s) Read' in the upper right corner. Clicking on that will flag all posts as read.

This is true for the default theme. I don't know about the others.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Neost wrote:Any way to get it to mark posts as read if you leave the site? I don't read every thread and since the upgrades, i never see a post marked as read unless i go into it. Not a big deal, but always helped me keep up with new posts and active threads that i wanted to follow.
That's a new setting on the boards. Cookie-based "read" threads vs. DB-based "read" threads. I prefer it set to be controlled by the database, as I always used to miss posts if I went from home to work, or accidentally closed my browser.

In your case, you can either use the mark as read links that truant used, or switch to the newer theme and use the "new posts" or "unanswered posts" links. I like that there's a lot more flexibility in how you can go about it now.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

thanks guys.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Does the new phpBB 3 have a setting so that new users can't create a new topic until they've made X amount of posts? I heard a board operator talking about that on a podcast today and it seemed like a good idea to prevent spamming. Something like 20 posts before creating a topic might be good. (if this is actually a phpBB option)
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Board/site has been brought up to date.

New users turned back on - but moderated by default until someone puts them in an active group.

New Captcha system, old icons and smilies, etc, etc.

Let us know if any issues :)
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

New users!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Heya Py!

Board is still broken. You can't embed Youtube videos!
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

wtf phpBB

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Why is the default theme so... squished?

Also... Is it possible to have avatars on the left? Pretty sure the previous version had that but I can't find it in the settings anywhere.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Also, some of the threads got eaten. Well, not totally, but for example the Witcher thread in the TV Shows/Movies/DVD section (whatever) had some posts deleted. They were mostly Spang's bad opinions but I thought I would mention it regardless.

--
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Apparently old style went out a few versions ago...was...significantly behind in updating.

I'll see about either a setting for the current, or something that more closely emulates classic as an option.

Will look in to the missing post(s) - the database needed to be sanitized and updated...however the count had looked pretty close. Still have a backup of pre-upgrade if needed as well.

-Cadalano
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

-Cadalano
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sweet! The day has finally arrived! 12-15 years of Aslanna video oppression ends! Nice job Py!

Had to start with the greatest video ever made! Took me years and years to find out what the song is that plays during the end credits of this video!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

omg what have you done?!

--
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Aslanna wrote: February 14, 2020, 9:11 pm Also... Is it possible to have avatars on the left? Pretty sure the previous version had that but I can't find it in the settings anywhere.
I'm almost certain that was a custom edit to the theme I/we made years ago.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xouqoa wrote: March 11, 2020, 6:03 pm
Aslanna wrote: February 14, 2020, 9:11 pm Also... Is it possible to have avatars on the left? Pretty sure the previous version had that but I can't find it in the settings anywhere.
Xouqoa's avatar definitely belongs on the left! :)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xouqoa wrote: March 11, 2020, 6:03 pm

Please make that custom edit again. Thank you!

Avatars on the right suck ass and are an abomination to god, the spirit, and the fuckin holy ghost*

*(Or however that goes. Not a religious person!)

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I thought I was the only one thrown off with the avatar swap!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You were not!

And for those who may be wondering I'll tell you why I like them on the left. Because I read from left to right and I like to see who is 'speaking' before I read what they have to say. With the avatars on the right I have to look right first then back to the left. It's unnatural!

(And yes I know it says their name right there on the left under the subject but who looks at that!)

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I went to add a new post to the Horizon Zero Dawn thread but I can't find it. Seems like it may have gotten eaten? Either that or search isn't working very well...

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

We've lost about 1 year of random post of our 18 year history on VV! I remember a time when avatars were on the left! Those were the days of high adventure!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: July 4, 2020, 3:38 pm We've lost about 1 year of random post of our 18 year history on VV! I remember a time when avatars were on the left! Those were the days of high adventure!
It looks like it also ate your VR thread. Oh darn.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: August 18, 2020, 3:30 pm
It looks like it also ate your VR thread. Oh darn.
Were you going to mention that Facebook accounts will be required starting with the next Oculus hardware and for those of use using Oculus accounts on current HW will be shut down on Jan 1, 2023?

I've got 2 years to switch to a new VR brand! There are a ton of upset Oculus users over this. I'll be making every effort to switch to another brand if something comes out equal to the Quest. Facebook is working on a "Ready Play One" Oasis type thing so I'm sure they want to keep tabs on everyone by using their Facebook accounts. The only Facebook account I have is a fake one for gaming. It's difficult these days to create fake facebook accounts because they tie them to your phone which isn't impossible to get a temp phone # but more of a pain than creating a normal fake account.

Tying hardware to social media is a bad idea. If you get banned for some other reason on Facebook, there goes your Hardware investment as well? Department of Defense, some jobs don't even allow you have have a Facebook account.

Lots of talk of challenging this in court etc on the forums. I can see it happening.

After legendary genius John Carmack left Oculus/Facebook there's not much reason for me to stick around. The Quest is the best wireless stand alone VR device out there. Lets hope Microsoft, Apple, Steam, Samsung, or someone else steps up to the plate. Any company that doesn't have tracking you as their primary business.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It also ate your Bitcoin thread...

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

lame! I'm in Litecoin now not Bitcoin but it's doing well!

Shame about these threads vanishing though. I had what seemed like endless pot of money I kept spending during Bitcoins rise from my buy at $264 to $20,000.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow wrote: August 21, 2020, 3:19 am lame! I'm in Litecoin now not Bitcoin but it's doing well!

Shame about these threads vanishing though. I had what seemed like endless pot of money I kept spending during Bitcoins rise from my buy at $264 to $20,000.
Sucks that some long running threads have vanished. Crypto has been a wild ride.

Litecoin broke $300 earlier today. Bitcoin has hovered around $61,000-63,000/coin the past few days. The LTC/BTC ratio is now .005. Ideally it was projected to be .25 so there's a lot of room to grow for LTC vs BTC. For example, in 2018 the LTC/BTC ratio would put LTC at $1,400 today. As time goes by, it's less about the US currency value and more about the Bitcoin ratio.

I found this image on reddit so don't know if it will work but here's the link showing the Litecoin / Bitcoin ratio

I'll be pretty happy if that ratio gets back to .0018

Anyway, kind of funny that 1 Litecoin is now worth more than the original Bitcoin I bought for $264. I think Litecoin was around $2 at the time and Etherium was $9 (currently $2,400.)

I haven't been trading recently. My crypto is in a semi cold storage wallet. I can use it to buy things but in order to trade it, I'd need to move it back to one of the exchanges. Actually kind of a good move when it comes to crypto. There's always the itch to sell when it makes a big jump. So far, selling has not been the wise move for the long term.

I suppose the 5 year crypto lesson is don't panic if Bitcoin drops from 20K to 6K. HODL (look it up!)