Kurt Vonnegut dead at 84

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Kurt Vonnegut dead at 84

Post by Neost »

anyone have him in the dead pool?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_ ... t_vonnegut

RIP

I'll have to go re-read a few things now.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

:/...I picked up Welcome to the Monkey House at 11...been a huge fan since...RIP Kilgore Trout...
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

It is a sad day when a hero dies. I enjoyed all of his work and shared similar beliefs on a number of social issues. I wish I could have met him, if for no other reason than to shake his hand.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Oh, that's a bummer. :(

/edit: just saw this and I felt it was fitting
Brian at mgoblog wrote:And I made an invisible duplicate on my Formica tabletop of a painting by Rabo Karabekian, entitled The Temptation of Saint Anthony. My duplicate was a miniature version of the real thing, and mine was not in color, but I had captured the picture's form and the spirit, too. This is what I drew:

The original was twenty feet wide and sixteen feet high. The field was Hawaiian Avocado, a green wall paint manufactured by the O'Hare Paint and Varnish Company in Hellertown, Pennsylvania. The vertical stripe was dayglo orange reflecting tape. This was the most expensive piece of art, not counting building and tombstones, and not counting the statue of Abraham Lincoln in front of the old Nigger* high school.

It was a scandal what the painting cost. It was the first purchase for the permanent collection of the Mildred Barry Memorial Center for the Arts. Fred T. Barry, The chairman of the Board of Barrytron, Ltd., had coughed up fifty thousands dollars of his own for the picture.

Midland City was outraged. So was I.

As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or about any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide. For want of anything better to do, we became fans of collisions. Sometimes I wrote well about collision, which meant I was a writing machine in good repair. Sometimes I wrote badly, which meant I was a writing machine in bad repair. I no more harbored sacredness than did a Pontiac, a mouse trap, or a South Bend Lathe.

I did not expect Rabo Karabekian to rescue me. I had created him, and he was in my opinion a vain and weak and trashy man, no artist at all. But it is Rabo Karabekian who made me the serene Earthling which I am to this day.

Listen:

"What kind of man would turn his daughter into an outboard motor?" he said to Bonnie MacMahon.

Bonnie MacMahon blew up. This was the first time she had blown up since she had come to work in the cocktail lounge. Her voice became as unpleasant as the noise of a bandsaw cutting galvanized tin. It was loud, too. "Oh yeah?" she said. "Oh yeah?"

Everybody froze. Bunny over stopped playing the piano. Nobody wanted to miss a word.

"You don't think much of Mary Alice Miller?" she said. "Well, we don't think much of your painting. I've seen better pictures done by a five-year-old."

Karabekian slid off his barstool so he could face all those enemies standing up. He certainly surprised me. I expected him to retreat in a hail of olives, maraschino cherries and lemon rinds. But he was majestic up there. "listen --" he said so calmly, "I have read the editorial against my painting in your wonderful newspaper. I have read every word of the hate mail you have been thoughtful enough to send to New York."

This embarrassed people some.

"The painting did not exist until I made it," Karabekian went on. "Now that it does exist, nothing would make me happier than to have it reproduced again and again, and vastly improved upon, by all the five-year-olds in town. I would love for your children to find pleasantly and playfully what it took me many angry years to find.

"I now give you my word of honor," he went on, " that the picture your city owns shows everything about life which truly matters, with nothing left out. It is a picture of the awareness of every animal. It is the immaterial core of every animal -- the 'I am' to which all messages are sent. It is all that is alive in any of us -- in a mouse, in a deer, in a cocktail waitress. It is unwavering and pure, no matter what preposterous adventure may befall us. A sacred picture of Saint Anthony alone is one vertical, unwavering band of light. If a cockroach were near him, or a cocktail waitress, the picture would show two such bands of light. Our awareness is all that is alive and maybe sacred in any of us. Everything else about us is dead machinery.

"I have just heard from this cocktail waitress here, this vertical band of light, a story about her husband and an idiot who was about to be executed at Shepherdstown. Very well -- let a five-year-old paint a sacred interpretation of that encounter. Let a five-year-old strip away the idiocy, the bars, the waiting electric chair, the uniform of the guard, the gun of the guard, the bones and the meat of the guard. What is that perfect picture which any five-year-old can paint? Two unwavering bands of light."

Ecstasy bloomed on the barbaric face of Rabo Karabekian. "Citizens of Midland City, I salute you," he said. "You have given a home to a masterpiece!"

-Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast Of Champions

Kurt Vonnegut was 84.

*(note that the seemingly flippant and casual deployment of that word is vastly different in context.)
Last edited by Sylvus on April 12, 2007, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

:cry:
One of my favorites.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

He shall be missed. He was one of the most sarcastic and humorous people to ever write a book.
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

Too bad Kurt Vonnegut doesn't know the first thing about writing a term paper on Kurt Vonnegut.
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Momopi wrote:Too bad Kurt Vonnegut doesn't know the first thing about writing a term paper on Kurt Vonnegut.
Heh :) <3 teh cameo...

They used to have these "Coffee Achiever" commercials...he was in those as well...
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Apparently he also wrote for Sports Illustrated, albeit briefly.
Kurt Vonnegut worked briefly at SI until being told to write a story about a race horse that had jumped the rail and terrorized the infield at a local track. Vonnegut stared at his desk for what seemed like hours before finally departing the building without a word. Inside his deserted typewriter was this: "The horse jumped over the fucking fence."
:lol:
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

:cry:
cweeedit cwuunch
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!