Starwars Galaxies

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Starwars Galaxies

Post by Xyun »

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/

Thoughts on this? It looks too awesome for me to pass it up. Click on features and read through the guide for some cool game info. The faq is pretty neat too. I've been following this since they first started developing it about a year ago. It's gonna leave EQ, EQ2, and Warcraft Worlds in the dust imo.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
dalur
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by dalur »

Possibly.

A lot depends on the game engine. If the spec to play the game are much more extreme than the specs required for SOL, you can bet you won't find my butt in SWG.

I spent a decent chunk of change upgrading my machine to play SOL and it doesn't run the way they said it should run.
Dalur Stouthealer
60th Dwarven High Priest
Aarinu
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Aarinu »

The specs really aren't that bad... as of yet... But then we know Verant... Love how they upped the requirements for Luclin the day before (or was it the day of) release....
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I applied for the mid range beta testing. The first stage starts on the 15th of this month. It does look very cool but there are lots of other games coming out that look really cool too, like City of Heroes.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Yep, SWG and City of Heros both look superb from what I've seen. Hopefully Horizons is still coming along as well, because I'm anxious for them to release more information about that, too.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Forget the $$ and system requirements, I don't think I'll invest this much time in another mmorpg. Time will tell, but it's doubtful.

The movies I have seen of SWG are awsome. I especially like the interface that pops up ala SIMS style. Very nice.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

City of Heroes...
I don't get the appeal of this one.
What's the point of a city full of superheroes?

Character customization seems very limited.
No super villans?
There seems to be a HUGE lack of content.

And give me a fucking break about Horizons already.
This game is a joke...

Concept art, CGI stills, a shitty trailer and a FAQ != game

The wesite has had about 2 updates in the past 12 months.
Most (all?) of the dev team was shitcanned around the same time the 'old' website and forums were closed.

v a p o r w a r e
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

City of Heros has OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of potential. Personally, I'm glad they delayed it at least a year. Hopefully that will give them the time to make it all it can be.

Customization is actually quite broad and unique. Instead of experiance, you gain fame. Instead of guilds, you have superhero teams. The first expansion was rumored to feature the ability to play as super villians. Now you have heros vs villians in an excellent PvP forum, if that's your bag. The city itself is alive, and I was very impressed with the backdrop and history of the city and existing groups of heros and villians. The harbor was going to have an "Atlantis" type of zone. There are sewers, corporate headquarters, skyscrapers, airports, subway stations, a central park, and many other different places to fight. I understand 1/2 the city was taken over by aliens disguised as humans or something to that affect. So you fight humans, but work deeper into thier lair and fight the actual aliens, working your way to the queen (boss MoB).

Anyway, it has potential and looks like fun to me. We'll see how well they pull off the flight mode and what-not before I get too excited. They could totally fuck it all up too.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on July 11, 2002, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

*shrug*

I've been assured by someone on the 'inside' that Horizons is alive and well.

Either he's full of shit or you're wrong. I'd say the chance of each is about 50/50, because I have no way to prove that he's full of shit.

The only thing that bugs me about City of Heros is what Miir pointed out, you can't play a Villan. :( What good will a bunch of player controlled heros be if they only get to go against AI Villans? That's no fun!
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

SWG looks really promising to me. If all goes well, I'll have me a nice new system built by then. I intend to jump to SWG, at least as a casual gamer.

My bike, my friends, my job, and my fiance are taking up a lot of my time these days in my post-EQ life, but given my fiance's affinity for both Star Wars and character building games like the Sims, it shouldn't be hard to convince her to play with me. :wink:

Let me know what server you're gonna be on, Xyun, and I'll join ya.
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
iumanya
No Stars!

Post by iumanya »

Help me with this one, but

"CITY OF HEROS" not, CITY OF HEROS and VILLIANS ? is what the title reads no ?
hi !
Adex_Xeda
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Adex_Xeda »

SWG,

heh I allways wanted to play a game where I could be an interstellar truck driver crusing along in a merchant ship bristling with weapons.

Remember the old Origin Privateer games? If they can combine that with the feeling of fighting from the gunmounts of an old WWII B-17 I'll be hooked.

Bah who am I kidding, why subscribe to another game that robs you of your soul for 3+ years?

I should be out mowing the lawn or something. *grumbles*
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

iumanya wrote:Help me with this one, but

"CITY OF HEROS" not, CITY OF HEROS and VILLIANS ? is what the title reads no ?
It's also called EverQUEST but we all know that's not the reason most people play, now is it?
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Fact is...

Post by Jice Virago »

They could take a massive shit in a box and slap a picture of a wookie on it and people will buy it. To protect the continuity of the original fiction players are basically going to be limited in what they do, which is already a serious step in the wrong direction, especially for a Sci Fi game. Good Sci Fi cannot occur in a static environment.

There is also the issue of trusting Verant to do things correctly, which is exactly why I wont touch EQ2 either (that and all the DAOC style BS). If I play another MMORPG it will most likely be Final Fantasy Online.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

o_O er..um...Jice? Did you just say "Final Fantasy Online?"

Wow.

I can't believe I've missed that. Do you have a link, as I am too lazy to google it myself? :D
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Final Fantasy 11 is an online only MMORPG. It's already out in Japan and should be out here in Sept/Oct. It looks pretty fucking awesome, but the specs for the PC version are outrageous.

Just look around for FF11 on Gamespot or IGN PS2 and you'll see previews for it. I will definitely be trying it when it comes out.

I'm not touching city of heroes because you can't play a villain and PVP. By the time you will be able to there will be half a trillion maxed level heroes running around vs. a bunch of level 2 villains. Hi I'm a developer for City of Heroes and I'm a fucking retard who doesn't know how to design a game. I think the PVP will be swell because the heroes will have a 1 year+ head start on the players that want to be villains! Now you'll excuse me while I go back to pounding this meat thermometer into my ear, because I am 99% sure it is making me a better game designer!!

Shadowbane is outdated for shit but still looks kind of fun. I still love their guild system... I doubt I'll play it though. Horizons is a vaporware joke. Worlds of Warcraft will suck beyond imagination if Diablo 2 is any indication of Blizzard's ability to balance classes and skills with the difficulty scale of the game. Gee one hit PVP how wonderful. What a nice definition of a harder difficulty blizzard: 100x the hit points and gimping the resists on players. How long did it take you to design that? 10 seconds? Oh, five years? Jeez...

I'm pretty sure I'll be busy with FFXI and then SWG to play much else.
iumanya
No Stars!

Post by iumanya »

Hmmm, but yes,, its not called Evertrolls, where you can ONLY play trolls.

It is however, City of Heros, thus, no villans !!! Its their game, thats the angle they wanted !!! =)
hi !
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

They do seem to have a lot going for them as far as creation of a unique hero though I don't know what the motivation factor will be. In EQ there are fat lewts but in COH you don't really loot the bad guy.

You never hear Batman say, "Robin check his wallet. We need gas money".

Also I don't think you kill anything in the game either. Just pound the snot out of them. They will have a mission system set up much like AO from what I heard. And true to any game out, the men will be overly muscled and the women will all have huge tits.
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

b(oYo)bies > all!
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

City of Heroes sounds like the absolute suck.

Reminds me of back in junior high when we switched from d&d to marvel. What fun can a game possibly be if there is no treasure to be had?

I'm gonna stick with EQ till SWG comes out. I decided about 9 months ago that I would devote 3-4 years of my life to that game.

Yep, I'm over the denial stage.

Gamer for life.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Pubin
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Pubin »

big big SWG article in the last PC gamer (i think ...one of the gamer mags). Picked one up in the airport just to get a first glimpse of how SOE will be taking my money after EQ croaks. Looks very cool.
Don't blame me if you see my old characters acting like asses.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I've been awaiting FFO for a while. (I love FF games)

Horizons may be vapor at this point, but i'd still like to see new info if it is still being released. Their original ideas sounded great, and I'd just like to see what they ended up with.

I'll probably pay OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of attention to the new games as they come out, and try all of them if possible (if they continue to offer free couple month trials, etc.) But I don't wish to ever devote the same amount of time into an mmorpg as eq.
Zvenn Eaglefist
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Zvenn Eaglefist »

resident evil online thats all i gotta say ) when it hits in august look out
Sensei Zvenn
formerly the 65th Transcendent of the Celestial Tomb...currently retired

<embed src="http://www.webspawner.com/users/veeshan/whoopass.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="120" height="90"></embed>
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I never even saw any advertisments for it coming out as an online game. I can't wait for the next movie to be released. Hell, I can't wait for the DVD to be released.