Anybody into high end pens?...

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Anybody into high end pens?...

Post by Ransure »

Hey all, Ive been looking to buy a nice pen for a while now... only one problem.. I cant deal with turn or capped pens... I have a few... and I hate em... I want a really nice pen that is like the $0.25 pushbutton bics...

id love a nice Mont... or something similar... but so far Ive been unsuccesful at finding one.. any ideas?
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Buy a Parker or something similar with a click operation, then get a Cross re-fill ink. Best of both worlds.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Go for a fountain pen, yo.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I read this tpoic as "high end penis".

carry on
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:I read this tpoic as "high end penis".
I'll bet you also read the topic "what is delicious" as "high end penis".
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Dregor Thule wrote:
I'll bet you also read the topic "what is delicious" as "high end penis".
I bet you find everything "delicious"
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

carry on

/guilty

I am not fully awake. I thought the same thing!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I have a fondness for timepieces and writing instruments. I have three Montblanc writing instruments and one Namiki.

First off...let me recommend the Namiki as it is my everyday pen. It is the world's only push button retractable fountain pen. It writes like a dream:

http://www.penboutiqueonweb.com/acatalo ... ction.html

Two of my Montblanc write better than the Namiki...one writes so so. I think the shape of the Namiki makes if feel very nice in the hand.

My favorite pen (I will get a real pic later whenI get home) is my Montblanc Starwalker 100 Years. I got this when I got my Montblanc Timewalker watch. I fell in love with this pen the moment I saw it...it is stunning and writes like a dream. It never leaves my house because I am so paranoid that I am going to leave it somewhere.

Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

My god those are nice Pens.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"Writing instruments"? Whatever it costs it's still just a pen. No need to get all snobby!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Aslanna wrote:"Writing instruments"? Whatever it costs it's still just a pen. No need to get all snobby!
Haha! I figure if you spend more than $100 bucks on a pen and more than $1000 on a watch...you can use the words "Writing instruments" and "Timepieces"

But then again...I am a stylophile :P
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Kind of like when I went to buy a grass catcher for my riding mower and the sales guy informed me it was a "lawn tractor" not a riding mower?
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

I will take Penis Mightier for $200 Alex.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

...lots of fetishes here but having a fancy pen isn't one of them!

I like .07 pens but they're still cheap. It has to be capped though as I have a "stupid pen trick" which requires a capped pen to perform.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

here's one especially for you hacker!

make a mont blanc pen for $15

a great idea, unless you're in it for the wank factor
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Cool link, Syenye. I'd imagine tho that it's not all just about the ink but also the tip and flow of it. But I'd easily settle for the hack, if I were the type of person that enjoyed writing anything at all ever. I hate writing by hand!

When I was in France on a student exchange in high school we were all amazed how the kids there use fountain pens. Fell in love with them instantly, was so much nicer to write with, tho a tad messier if you weren't careful. I guess they stress things like penmanship over there.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I've had a Mont Blanc fountain pen for several years now, and it's truly a joy to write with. Of course, like Moon, I don't take it to work because I'm afraid it'll disappear.

If you must have that stupid click button, the Naki pens are probably the best you can get.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Well, for me, it is not about status or saying "I have xxx pen...xxx watch". It just happens to be something I enjoy very much. I like writing handwritten letters. The only nice pen I take out of my house is my Nakimi...no one but my wife has ever seen my Mont Blanc pens.

My wife doesn't understand the reasons I enjoy nice pens and nice watches. She is happy to use a free pen she got at work...she is also happy to wear her quartz Fossil she got at the department store. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But she will buy a pair of $200 shoes while I could care less and wear a pair of $30 Vans I got on sale. It's all about what you like.

My pens are all fountain...I like the way they write and I like the artistry of the tips. It's an asesthetics thing for me. I've seen $3000 pens that looked gaudy as hell...would never own one. I've seen 100k Patek Philippe watches that looked so ostentatious I would never wear one.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying something a little extravagant now and then :D

Oh....here is a pen I own that I got in Las Vegas at Tolstoys. It was about $25 bucks and it is a great pen to keep in your pocket...writes nice too. You pull to extend the tip...close it to retract the tip. Writes super smooth for a roller ball. And when it is open you can see the ink reservoir to know how much you have left. A 6 pack of refills is $18...not too bad.

The Cross Ion

Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

I prefer Cross pens. They offer a wide variety of styles and price range. Been using the same one for 9 years now and will probably shed a tear when I lose it *which is bound to happen at some point*
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I can definitely appreciate a decent watch. I only paid $200 for mine, not some $1000 one, but I enjoy it all the same. The feel of a "real" watch on your wrist is far superior than some cheap thing you get for $25.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Moon! that is an awesome website! I dont think the Namki will work for me, as I have a 5 year olds handwritting and I only take my pen out to take notes or sign contracts... My handwritting is attrocious.

Im leaning towards this Faber Castell, but I want to find someplace locally that I can try it out... Im sure there is a decent store around here that carries these things.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I understand pens as a hobby (I think) but who really writes much anymore? It's all computers baby!

On the rare occasion I need to write something down, I find a scrap piece of paper and proceed to use every inch of evailable writing space scribbled in all different directions on the front and back of the sheet and then find a way to squeeze in another week or so of notes on the page before finding another scrap piece of paper.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I burn through stickies like nobody's business! The printed word will only die when everyone becomes illiterate. So about 20 years from now.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Ransure wrote:Moon! that is an awesome website! I dont think the Namki will work for me, as I have a 5 year olds handwritting and I only take my pen out to take notes or sign contracts... My handwritting is attrocious.

Im leaning towards this Faber Castell, but I want to find someplace locally that I can try it out... Im sure there is a decent store around here that carries these things.

Hahahahaha... this store is like 10 miles from my office... Ill just have to stop by... I knew there had to be somewhere around here to look at these things.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ransure wrote: Image
I wouldn't use that ugly thing even if it was free!

It looks like a grandmother knitted a sweater for a pen!
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Like I said I have to try it... but I like Porsche design... and the history of the pens metal...
Anyone holding a Porsche Design writing instrument for the first time will immediately notice the unusual material of the barrel. And rightly so, because this stainless steel design has special qualities, as we shall see when we take a brief look at the world of racing. The 24-hour motor race at Le Mans is considered to be the toughest in the world, subjecting both man and machine to the acid test. One particularly critical area is the large number of highly sensitive electronic connections. To protect these connections from heat and mechanical strain, many teams use a TecFlex stainless steel structure as a safety coating. The success has been amazing: TecFlex has superb anti-corrosive qualities, as well as being highly flexible and extremely resistant to wear and tear.
Or maybe this one...

Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Lapis is your friend!
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

carry on

lol, so did I. :wink:
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind