Katrina pics

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Katrina pics

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Yeah and most of those shots are just a single eyewall supercell...It's really hard to conceptualize the energy involved in a storm of that magnitude...
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Arborealus wrote:Yeah and most of those shots are just a single eyewall supercell...It's really hard to conceptualize the energy involved in a storm of that magnitude...
Forgive my ignorance... but what is a single eyewall supercell?
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
XunilTlatoani
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by XunilTlatoani »

Well, if those pictures are from Katrina they are probably from a supercell in one of the outer bands. From everything I've seen of hurricanes, those pictures are not very reminiscent of what's happening at the eye wall. First, there's too much sunshine in most, and second there isn't much evidence of 120+ mph sustained winds. Without a narrative or other evidence to go along with it, those could just as well be a run-of-the-mill supercell in Texas.
Xunil Tlatoani - Gnome Arch Lich (Retired)
Keepers of the Elements

Tlatoani - Gnome Warlock
Light of Dawn (Lightbringer Server)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

5 and 6 remind me of storms I used to see when I lived in Kansas.
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/storm.asp

Its a hoax....Those picks are from the plains somewhere and are Tornados....The guy that took them is an amazing photographer!

These images are actually photographs of tornadoes taken by storm chaser Mike Hollingshead in southwest Iowa in late spring 2004. Most of them are viewable on the 2004 Digital Photos section of his web site (scroll about halfway down the page).

here is his website

http://extremeinstability.com/2004photos.htm
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I was thinking that they couldn't possibly have been of a hurricane.

Cool photos nevertheless.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

No wonder they reminded me of the midwest.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

'Splain's why I thought they were single supercells...they are...nice shots though...
Phugg_Innay
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Phugg_Innay »

Arb , you know about weather ? or you just have a glancing knowledge ? Good call on the single super cells in the midwest. I was a meteorologist for Dept of Defense for 9 years. I got to see an assload of that in the midwest and Centrsal America. The Honduran/Panamanian storms make Texas and midwest look like baby cells.
Phugg Innay Bard ( retired )
WTFO ,,, (What the Fuck , OVER)
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Never been to Honduras or Panama...but living here in Kansas I have seen a great many supercells and tornadic activity.

I've only lived here for 8 years...and the sky and weather events are the only redeeming qualities Kansas has...

I miss the woods and mountains damnit!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

The Honduran/Panamanian storms make Texas and midwest look like baby cells.
I was down in Panama earlier this summer.
Didn't get hit by any major storms but the little local storms were nutty... sunny one minute and a torrential downpour with crazy lightning the next.... then it would totally clear up in 5 minutes. One day there were storms on the north, east and south of us(was raining so hard you could see it 2 miles away) and overhead was clear blue sky.
Weather on the coast was a little more predictable but in the mountains and rainforest you could never tell.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Phugg_Innay wrote:Arb , you know about weather ? or you just have a glancing knowledge ? Good call on the single super cells in the midwest. I was a meteorologist for Dept of Defense for 9 years. I got to see an assload of that in the midwest and Centrsal America. The Honduran/Panamanian storms make Texas and midwest look like baby cells.
Not trained in meteorology but I understand gradients and can read data and having a lot of friends on the coast it has become habit this time of year...

the reason I was suspicious of that being a singular supercell is lack of lateral shear...eyewall supercells are seldom that pristine there is always lateral shearing as they wrap around the vortical low...which is why the tornadoes in them are of limited magnitude (F1 - 2 typically)...Also eyewall cells of that magnitude are almost always imbedded in feeder bands...lack of surrounding overcast, clean vertical lines, clear microburst downdraft features etc...these are features of a dryline popup supercell not a tropical storm...
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Those are some really amazing photographs - forgive my ignorance, but is it anything in particular that seems to cause the teal/aqua colored "glow" coming from behind/within the stormclouds in image 6, or is it just simply the sky color that particular day?

Also, it wouldn't hurt to change the title of this thread~
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Drinsic Darkwood wrote:Those are some really amazing photographs - forgive my ignorance, but is it anything in particular that seems to cause the teal/aqua colored "glow" coming from behind/within the stormclouds in image 6, or is it just simply the sky color that particular day?
Near direct sunlight diffused through a lot of water vapour causes that...very spooky to stand in that light...
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I remember noticing that incoming hail storms tended to also give a greenish to red hue to things. It was kind of funny when someone mentioned it when I was around 12 years old. The person had a thick west Texas accent, and I thought they were saying that Hell was coming instead of Hail coming.