Problems with new bastard computer

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Problems with new bastard computer

Post by Pilsburry »

OK, I got parts in for various sources with the primary source being my old P3-600E.

I took 2x256 PC133 ram chips from my old machine, and 1x128 PC133 chip from my dads desk (he had no use for it).

My old 1.4Ghz chip and my dad's old 1.7Ghz chip...both AMD.

A new Asus A7A266 MB.

2 HD, video, sound, wireless NIC, from old machine. Floppy from my dads broken machine.

I try and part together the perfect bastard web surfer right?

Well I can boot up fine from floppy or CD and no problems with the 1.7Ghz chip (I think I melted the 1.4Ghz heh, I didn't think you could burn one in under 10 secs w/o heatsink).

Anyway I flashed the BIOS to the latest version and checked that the MB supported my processor and it seems to. But when i try and boot to windows it pauses, then 30 secs later it makes a sound like it's reading the HD, then I get q VERY quick blue screen it says something corrupted but it's like 1/10 of a second so I can't read it. Then it starts to reboot.

I tried Scandisk on it....no bad sectors.

I tried swapping my memory out just one chip instead of all 3 and try each chip solo so it's not the memory (I know 2 of the 3 chips were good a mere hour earlier).

Any thoughts on what this could be?
-retired-
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Gremlins
- Ash
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Not possible, I didn't feed it after midnight.
-retired-
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Someone on my car forum said it's because I went from Intel to AMD and now it's pissed off at me and I have to re-install windows XP...

Crap.
-retired-