They call him Maurice...

What do you think about the sports world?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

They call him Maurice...

Post by masteen »

Looks like he'll be spending this season riding pine and trying to squeak into the NFL early.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

OSU should just kick him out and get it over with. He is a good RB, but seriously not worth the trouble he is causing.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

easy to find somebody academically ineligible well after the title is secured.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

It's sad to say, but Jim Brown is prolly the only adult in his life that's actually looking out for him. I doubt that his agents/lawyers care about anything except the bling-bling that comes with the NFL contract, and I know that OSU is only looking out for OSU.
Bocc
No Stars!

Post by Bocc »

I'm sad to see him go regardless of the crap he caused here. He's an amazing back, unfortunatly I don't think he had an ideal bringing up and has decision making problems. At least we saw that we can win without him in week one.

Oh well, cya, Maurice.
Boccaccio Fat
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Voronwë wrote:easy to find somebody academically ineligible well after the title is secured.
It's actually not academics.
It's money and lying to the NCAA.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

So is it official that he's gone for the whole year, or still just talk?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

He was a over rated running back who had a fucking ego the size of FSU program. Im glad hes gone. I wish his leg was the one fucked up in the Champ. game last year.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Nothing from OSU or the NCAA that I have seen, but here is an article from the philly enquirer.
Posted on Wed, Sep. 03, 2003

Clarett's college career may be over
The Ohio State running back is facing penalties that could wipe out his season, putting his future very much in doubt.
By Stephen A. Smith
INQUIRER COLUMNIST

AP photo

Maurice Clarett did not play in the opener against Washington. School officials seem resigned to a long suspension for him.

After weeks of investigation at Ohio State involving player payments and academic fraud, Maurice Clarett's college football career may be over.

Suspended from the team Aug. 22, Clarett - the freshman sensation who last year helped the Buckeyes capture their first national championship in more than three decades - could miss the whole season, according to Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger.

"That has not been finally determined yet, but it's anticipated it will be for the bulk of the season," Geiger said yesterday afternoon, when asked how many games Clarett would miss due to suspension.

Asked to be more specific, Geiger added: "I would say the bulk of the season is not mysterious. It's virtually all of it."

That came after Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel announced yesterday that Clarett would no longer practice with the team until questions about his eligibility were answered, reversing a decision made two weeks ago. Clarett was on the bench for Saturday's 28-9 season-opening win over Washington.

Geiger said the NCAA response could come as early as today and that it is expected to mention multiple violations of the NCAA bylaws:

A $100 check from a stranger, cashed by Clarett, that he failed to report. It requires Clarett to forfeit 10 percent of his season.

Three checks totaling $500 from a "surrogate father," cashed by Clarett. That warrants a 20 percent forfeiture of the season.

A violation involving bylaw 10.1 of NCAA rules, which involves ethical conduct during an NCAA investigation. That amounts to 50 percent of the season.

"That sounds about right," Geiger said. "But it's not my formula. It's the NCAA's."

The ramifications of a lost season for Clarett could be more than anyone had bargained.

Before any investigation into Clarett's off-field behavior became an issue, he expressed his desire to enter the NFL draft. Since the NFL doesn't allow anyone fewer than three seasons removed from his high school graduating class to enter its draft - that would be in 2005 for Clarett - his options appear limited.

He could sue the NFL for entry into its next supplemental draft.

Clarett could follow NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue's cue and apply for entry into the Canadian Football League.

He could sit out this season and hope that Ohio State allows him to play next year.

Or, he could sue Ohio State and try to play this season.

"That's certainly a consideration, as well it should be," legendary Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown said yesterday. Brown had accompanied Clarett to his meeting with Ohio State and NCAA officials Aug. 11. "Having the good fortune of watching Mr. Geiger in that meeting, his demeanor, his attitude, in my opinion, was very disrespectful. So much so, I got confused... because I thought the school would be working on Clarett's behalf.

"As of right now, the impression I'm getting is that they want to suspend him for the whole season, leave it up in the air as to what will happen next year, and give [Clarett] a chance to hang himself. That's the only thing that I can see, because he's tried to comply with everything they've asked of him."

Geiger believes otherwise.

"I can't get into specifics, unfortunately, but bylaw 10.1 of the NCAA rule book deals directly with ethical conduct, which is telling the truth," Geiger explained. "We, unfortunately, have not gotten there yet."

Clarett's troubles began July 12 when a former teaching assistant at Ohio State told the New York Times the Buckeyes running back had received "preferential treatment" because he was granted an oral exam after walking out of a midterm examination.

On July 29, the school confirmed the NCAA was investigating Clarett's claim that more than $10,000 in clothing, CDs, cash and stereo equipment were stolen from a vehicle Clarett borrowed in April.

Clarett's Ohio attorney, Scott Schiff, later acknowledged Clarett had exaggerated the worth of items in that vehicle.

No insurance claim was ever filed, according to Clarett's family attorney, Alan C. Milstein. "There was no fraud involved, whatsoever," he added.

Several sources close to Clarett confirmed the former freshman sensation, who rushed for 1,237 yards and scored 18 touchdowns last season, firmly believes Geiger is bent on making Clarett pay for comments he made before last year's Fiesta Bowl.

Days before the Buckeyes defeated Miami for the national title, Clarett blasted school officials for not allowing him to fly home to Youngstown, Ohio, for a friend's funeral.

"All these guys care about is football," Clarett said then.

Vengeance from Geiger?

"That's worth considering," Brown said.

Geiger had said Clarett failed to file the necessary paperwork for emergency financial aid for the flight. Clarett swore otherwise and accused administrators of lying.

In one of the three meetings Clarett had with Ohio State officials, sources said he looked squarely in Geiger's face, pointed at him, and said, "That's what this is all about, isn't it?"

Geiger yesterday refused to discuss any specifics regarding Clarett's case.

"I've been a lawyer for 20 years," Milstein said. "While no one ever says the justice system is perfect, at least it's a fair system of giving due process to all those involved. I was shocked to see what the process was with respect to the NCAA and Maurice Clarett. It was anything but fair, and anything but due process. In fact, we were told if we wanted to challenge the NCAA's findings, we would not have a hearing until the end of October. And that we had to accept the findings of OSU in order to get the punishment. How ridiculous is that?"
Sabek
Just Sabek
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Posted on Wed, Sep. 03, 2003

.............A $100 check from a stranger, cashed by Clarett, that he failed to report. It requires Clarett to forfeit 10 percent of his season.

Three checks totaling $500 from a "surrogate father," cashed by Clarett. That warrants a 20 percent forfeiture of the season.

A violation involving bylaw 10.1 of NCAA rules, which involves ethical conduct during an NCAA investigation. That amounts to 50 percent of the season.............
Ok, the last one I can understand. Who the hell knows what he did to get the other two checks. Hell, for all we know, he was mowing lawns for someone or some shit. As for the last one, which I understand is the harshest, I had heard he reported something like $10k worth of items stolen from a vehicle, and then refused to cooperate in the investigation or something to that effect.

The situation at the end of the year regarding his trip home was totally confusing to probably everyone except those who were actually involved. What the hell was that all about. He didn't ask for the money to go through the school, so he gets in trouble for it if he tries to get the money elsewhere? I understand the rules regarding paying players (which Nebraska I believe actually PASSED a bill to make football players there state government employees with benefits and all), but there has to be a line that a person can get to when they have just cause. Hell, are college athletes not allowed to get a job anymore?
Alfan
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Alfan »

The impression a lot of people are getting here in Columbus is that Maurice is just too hard to control. He plays by his own rules and that is unacceptable to the Ohio State coaching staff and the school's administration. The interview he gave with Gameday while the rest of his team was eating their pregame meal may have been the straw that broke the camels back--who knows? The kid needs serious guidance, he isnt dumb, just unwise. I sincerely hope everything turns out well for Clarett, maybe its best if that happens somewhere other than Ohio State, though.

Alf

edit: if any of you columbus folk tailgate around the shoe we could try and get a little eq tailgate meet up or something. anyways, im always roaming the lots.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

he is banned from practice and can't play until they are done investigating him. Which could be the whole year.
Fuck Michigan!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

And Jim Brown isn't helping the situation at all. He is going around saying Giger is trying to be a slavemaster and Clarett is going to be his slave boy. Leave the race crap out of this. It has nothing to do with it.

The stuff from the Fiesta bowl last year was explained that he never filled out the proper paper work to the University to get "emergency financial aid" in order to fly home. He claims he did, but the University says he didn't.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

I find the quotes in this article kind of funny. They keep saying he is ready to move to the NFL but they also keep saying he is a kid and shouldn't be treated this way.
Thursday, September 4, 2003
Updated: September 5, 9:47 AM ET

ESPN.com news services

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- With his options apparently decreasing and the relationship with Ohio State growing worse, Maurice Clarett and his mother are considering suing the NFL for a chance to enter the league a year early, the family's attorney said Thursday.

Jim Brown, who has been consulting with the Clarett family throughout the entire suspension process, told ESPN The Magazine's Gene Wojciechowski that the likelihood of Clarett going back to Ohio State is not good nor is the possibility of transferring to another school.

Now, with the possibility of Clarett sitting out at least a year coupled with the family's increased dissatisfaction with Ohio State officials, including athletic director Andy Geiger, and the on-going investigation process, that leaves only one option: challenging the NFL's early entry rule.

"I think Mr. Geiger wants to start a revolution. He's acting like a slave-master," Brown said Thursday night. "If Andy Geiger wants to act like God, than this ball game is over."

The relationship between Ohio State officials and Michelle Clarett and her son has grown increasingly contentious.

Clarett's mother is "distraught" at the way her son is being treated by Ohio State, said Alan C. Milstein, the Clarett's lawyer from Pennsauken, N.J. Milstein called Clarett "a good kid who has tried to cooperate" with investigators and university officials but is being held accountable for discrepancies in his statements after almost 11 hours of interviews over at least four days.

The situation has forced the Clarett's to now consider every option.

"You have to anticipate things," said Brown, who initially counseled Clarett to accept whatever punishment might be levied and return to Ohio State. "The indications are this kid will not be able to play at all. It doesn't look like anyone wants him to play.

"What I recommend is for him to do all the research on everything," said Brown, who has already contacted NFL team officials.

The NFL does not permit players to be eligible for its draft until they have been out of high school at least three years. Clarett is a sophomore and, under the rule, could not be selected until the 2005 draft at the earliest.

Milstein said he did not believe that a court test of the NFL rule would take years and years. NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue has said the league will fight any underclassman who tries to overturn the rule.

"When a player decides to do that, I think it's going to be a legal issue and decided rather quickly by the court," Milstein said. "There's no facts in dispute. It's just, is the rule lawful or not?"

Clarett, one of Ohio State's top players during its run to the national title last season, is suspended from the team while the NCAA and the university investigate his behavior off the field.

Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger said Clarett was suspended because of allegations of accepting improper benefits and for misleading investigators.

Ohio State has been working for the past two weeks on a response to "several pages" of allegations sent by the NCAA to the university. Geiger said then that he thought the university would have a response finished last week.

"The family has said, 'Tell us what it is that you're going to do so that we can make the choices that we need to make,"' Milstein said. "It's unfair to string this kid out like this."

Ohio State spokesman Steve Snapp said the university's response to the NCAA is not complete and "there is no definite timetable for when it will be completed."

Geiger did not return a request left with Snapp seeking comment.

Clarett was suspended Aug. 22 but was permitted to return to practice. On Tuesday, coach Jim Tressel said Clarett would no longer be allowed to work out with the team.

"This business about you can train but then you can't train -- it's ludicrous," Milstein said.

Tressel said Tuesday that the suspension appears to be "significant. It's going to be long." Geiger added, "I'm not optimistic about any number of games at this point."

Milstein said the public perception of Clarett is skewed by the intense media coverage of his situation.

"He's a little kid in a big kid's body. He has been attacked and his integrity has been questioned and he's been put through this whirlwind of accusations and he's been questioned hours and hours and hours," Milstein said.

"It's just absolutely unfair to treat any kid this way. It's just awful, to put any kid up under this kind of a microscope as if he is a professional athlete who is mature."

Milstein said Clarett's mother is upset with how her son has been handled by Ohio State. She has declined numerous requests for comment.

Geiger has not done all he can to help Clarett, Milstein said.

"I cannot understand what is motivating Ohio State," he said. "It defies explanation."
Sabek
Just Sabek
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

hum maybe I should drive down and visit some friends in Columbus and come tailgate for a game :)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Don't do it, I have never met a larger collection of assholes in my life than the OSU fans!

:D
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

seconded

and I grew up in columbus!
Fuck Michigan!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Sylvus wrote:Don't do it, I have never met a larger collection of assholes in my life than the OSU fans!
You're calling me an asshole? WTF did I ever do to you?
Ahh, nm - sekrit code for Ann Arbor, that explains the h8. Sorry our team left yours so humiliated man - it's just a game.
- Ash
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

yeah, i guess 1 in past 9 is something to be proud of

save that tie
Fuck Michigan!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

1 in the last nine?
Um Tressel is a perfect 2-0 against Michigan.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Oh yeah, I forgot season before last. They had it a week earlier than usual and I totally missed that game expecting it on the accustomed week after Thanksgiving. Only one I have missed in the pass 15 years.
Fuck Michigan!