Lollapalooza 2003

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Lollapalooza 2003

Post by Kylere »

Saw it Friday 18 July at DTE (Pine Knob) in Michigan. First let me say I would not have bought tickets based on any bands except QOTSA.

Donna's- I missed them ( tickets were a gimme last minute) but I heard they made people hurt from playing so hard, of course the people that said this had been in the sun all day.

Queens of the Stone Age: ROCKED

Incubus: Umm man they must have amazing producers because live, they sound like shit, hell I have heard garage bands using 30 year old sound equipment that came out cleaner than they did.

Audioslave: Okay let me say this once, they should be headlining, they entirely owned everyone, even playing a White Stripes tune. Overall best act of the tour hands down.

Jane's Addiction: Not sure, but if they had Richard Simmons onstage they might be LESS GAY.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i have no idea if Jane's new album sucks, or if their current tour sucks, but if you distilled down seeing Jane's Addiction to basically "what a bunch of fags" then i'll just hang it out there that you pretty much are a clueless fuck when it comes to judging music.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

What I've heard of the new album is very good stuff... I think I've heard two or three singles off of it on WOXY.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Nah Voronwe, musically they were okay, but nothing spectacular, and lets face reality, the headlining act of a major tour should bring the damn house down. Audioslave DID in fact do so, JA sounded like they were bored, tired and could give a damn less about being there.

They were so flat musically, that the single biggest impression was "if they had Richard Simmons onstage they might be LESS GAY." not because I have a problem with gay dudes doing music (Hell Queen, Judas Priest, Elton John etc are/were all amazing musically) but because JA was that damn boring.

I like their music, but the performance was NOT a good one. Sell out crowd, great lead in band, and they played like they deserved to be worshipped, not like they were deserving of it.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

fair enough, i wouldnt be surprised if they were 'mailing it in' nowadays, but who knows.

they were pretty awesome in the first lollapalooza.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

well...

Post by Sartori »

I was a huge Jane's fan back in the day. I saw them during the Ritual tour, and they blew the roof off the place. I think they are great musicians, visionary to an extent, and broke the mold.

but...what I have heard from the new album I have not been impressed with (I do like the first single ok). I doubt they will leave much of a mark on the current crop of consumers.

I will say this though, they brought the fucking house down on the first Lollapalooza tour. I would say maybe they're just getting old, but it's probably just the alterna-nu-metal-post-grunge-whatever scene as a whole doesn't go for that kind of music anymore. Honestly, I think with a few exceptions the scene sucks at the moment - but that could be just ME getting old...

Finally, as far as live goes - I would take Jane's playing Mountain Song live over any Audioslave song any day :P
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)