Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Amazing Spider-Man

Post by Winnow »

Seriously? No thread for this movie?

This was better than Dark Knight Rises. Great mix of drama, action and comedy. An excellent reboot. I think the new Spider-Man actor fits the role well.

Dark Knight was 2 hours of Bruce Wayne emo-ing about himself. Spider-Man had a great flow to it with just one corny part.

corny part:
[Show]
When the guy has all the crane operators line up the cranes so Spider-Man can get across town quickly...extremely high ridiculousness
Plentiful fight scenes were fun to watch with Spider-Man while Batman just seemed like a stiff guy in a suit. I thought the use of cell phones, etc in the movie was well done. Spider-Man had a ton of crap and just as much inner turmoil handed to him but he handled it better as a teenager than Bruce Wayne as an adult.

The scenes in Spider-Man felt more alive. I dislike movies that lack color and Batman movies always have the saturation levels turned way down for that emo effect.

Both movies were good but Amazing Spider-Man was the more entertaining of the two.

Batman: oooo my back is broken. Waaaaaa! Lets spend an hour of the show in rehab climbing some boring wall.
Spider-Man: Shot in the leg, will keep going and get the job done! Zero seconds in rehab.

Dark Knight: hours about wondering who "The Bat" is and where is the Bat?
Spider-Man: handled that shit in the background and focused on the action while still driving and developing the story.

Batman: I don't really give a shit if some self pity dude loses his fortune and some fake, very greyish, city is in jeopardy.
Spider-Man: More real life shit brings things home and shit's happening in a city that actually exists.

Bane: who gives a shit about him. Joker had some depth to him at least.
Lizard Guy: Not the greatest villain but his purpose and drive for doing what he did made more sense.

Check the new Spider-Man flick out if you haven't yet. I'm glad the Batman trilogy is finally over. I thought the original Batman was better with Jack Nicholson as the joker. There's absolutely no comparison between the great portrayal of the Joker by Jack and the boring Bane character.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Amazing Spider-Man

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Yes, they were much more athletic in this movie than in Dark Knight Rising.

Even though Peter Parker looks like a wuss compared to Bruce Wayne, he has a much more impressive bench.

They could have skipped all the teenage-drama though and gone straight to the action.

Who wants to see Crane-Operators, Skateboard-scenes, Gwen Stacy, Flash Thompson, School, Gwen Stacys family etc when they could have sent Mysterio, Kraven, The Lizard, Electro, Shocker, The Vulture and Rhino after him right from the getgo.

That'd be something.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I watched this at home in 3D this weekend. It wasn't bad. I like the Sam Rami origin much better, but overall I think they did ok witha do-over. The storytelling was pretty weak in parts and I didn't like any if his parent's origin stuff. Also, Aunt May is too young in this version. That's yet another thing Rami nailed IMO. Spiderman only had one part where he was kind if a smart ass and it stuck out because up until that point and afterward, that whimsical side was no where to be seen. It felt completely out of character for this Spiderman, who is pretty angsty. It's not bad, just different. There was a lot less "fun" in Amazing Spiderman compared to the originals.

The 3D was good but far from "amazing". There were some ghosting issues at times and it just wasn't used in a notable way other than a few, exceptional scenes.

I would rank this after Spiderman 1&2, but much better than 3. I'm interested to see where they go from here. Rumor has it that Mary Jane will be in the sequel, so that could create an interesting love triangle.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

It was pretty much the same movie, with slightly more teen issues. MUCHO HOT female lead, however.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I've had the movie from Netflix since Friday, and I can't seem to get through it. I think I have an hour to go...
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

You can't compare Bane to Jack's Joker...you have to compare Heath's Joker to Jack's Joker, and Heath blew me away with his version. I did really like him as an actor before that, but after seeing him as the Joker, and later as Nick\Satan in "Dr. Pernassus", I became very sad that he was gone. Also, Andrew Garfield (the guy playing Spider-man) was in "Dr. Parnassus" with him (no relevance...just a note).

The new Spider-Man was pretty good. I do like Andrew Garfield.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Yeah, I liked em both, but I think I liked this one better.

Though I still stick to 2D for movies...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.