Upgrading PSU of very old computer...

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Upgrading PSU of very old computer...

Post by Keverian FireCry »

So I have an old computer that I was given recently to replace my second dead laptop in as many years. I know it's completely outdated, but I'd like to get some use out of it.

It is a Dell Dimension 4600 with a shitty integrated video card. I also have an old video card that, while also totally outdated(Radeon 9800), would be a fair upgrade for this particular machine. Problem is that the crappy 250watt PSU the Dell came with is not enough to use it. It needs a 300watt or more.

The other element to this is that I am planning on building a new desktop from scratch when I can afford to do so.

What I'd like to do is buy a PSU that will work with this old Dell, but also be used in the new system once that time comes around.

So the question is: Can a strong PSU(650ish Watts?) for a future gaming system even be used in the old Dell for now, or do I need to just buy two separate PSUs? One cheap one for now, and a nicer one for later?

I know PSUs aren't too expensive, but with the budget I'm on right now after losing my job, saving even 25$~ is worth it to me.

P.S. The other question would be: Does anyone have a system that their not using that I could purchase for a reasonable price, if it's better than what I'm getting by on now? The way things are going financially right now, this Dell is going to be it for a good while. Either way thanks for your time.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Upgrading PSU of very old computer...

Post by Zaelath »

In all likelihood, your new PSU will be a 24 pin ATX, and the old Dell will have a 20 pin ATX. The good thing is every 24 I've seen splits off the extra 4 pins so you can use them in old boards.

The usual drama with Dell boxen is fitting the PSU in the case...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Thanks Zae.

Well it's good to know that newer PSUs often have the split pins. So if its physical dimensions fit in the Dell it should have no problems then? Or is there any other element I need to look into?

P.S. One thing about having to settle for this computer is that I've been forced to check out some old games I never played and revisit ones that I have fond memories of. Lots of quality out there that I totally missed out on back in the day and honestly some of them cannot be beaten no matter how great graphics are these days. It's a bit like time travel! :P Going through all the Black Isle games right now, along with some carefully chosen mods for this time around. Been great!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Keverian FireCry wrote:Thanks Zae.

Well it's good to know that newer PSUs often have the split pins. So if its physical dimensions fit in the Dell it should have no problems then? Or is there any other element I need to look into?
None that I'm aware of, if the old one looks like the 20 pin connector in this image you should be fine.

The new ones have all the old power connectors and lots more of the new ones (6 pin GPU connectors, sata power). There's less 4 pin connectors (used for IDE drives), but there's usually still a few for connecting fan power.

It's a lot more troublesome using an old PSU in a new computer than vice versa.
Demags
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Demags »

Be careful with a dell. I replaced a ps on a friends older dell and while the connectors looked the same the dell was proprietary. I found an adapter that would make it work but I'm suprised I didn't fry the motherboard, because it plugged in but did not actually fire up. Not sure the vintage of that particular system so I don't know if it was before or after yours.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Good get, though apparently they only practiced that insanity 1996-2000 (http://www.hardwarebook.info/Dell_ATX_Power_Supply), and the Dimension 4600 came w/ XP (circa 2003) so should be safe.

Mind you, I'm surprised they didn't get their ass sued if they used a standard ATX moulding w/ a proprietary pin-out...
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

A lot of companies used proprietary hardware in the 90s.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

miir wrote:A lot of companies used proprietary hardware in the 90s.
Sure, and there's no problem there. Excepting that they used the _standard_ ATX connector and rewired the pins. I can see how, say, Apple can get away with that today in their Macbook Pro SSDs, but power supplies are a very different thing.